Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries

Wolfgang on Stern Monday Nov 16th

Our Roth Army ghost writer™ on Facebook is reporting...

Wolfgang Van Halen will appear on Howard Stern Sirius/SM show this Monday, Nov. 16th to debut "something new"....
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

I'm guessing that the "something new" will be from Wolf's own solo album (which has taken about as long as Axl's "Chinese Hypocrisy" or Boston's "Third Stage" to materialize) and not any of the rumored "lost" Van HALEN recordings.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

The snipits I've heard from his album sound pretty damn good. I wish him all the best.
    He's the only Van Halen capable of carrying on the family legacy. Don't look to
    Al's kids. They're busy shooting hoops and playing Pokemon Go..

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'd be interested in giving the kid's solo release a listen.

Hoping they discuss the possibility of his dad's vaults being opened up and something getting released.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    The snipits I've heard from his album sound pretty damn good. I wish him all the best.
    He's the only Van Halen capable of carrying on the family legacy. Don't look to
    Al's kids. They're busy shooting hoops and playing Pokemon Go..
    Wasn't one of Al's kids supposed to be an Olympic athlete. Some kind of runner, I think. If there's ever an Olympics again, we might see him.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I have to say, I have a hard time believing that he is appearing on Stern to promote his own solo album. While I don't feel this way, I think he could be unfairly maligned for pushing his own music right in the wake of his father's passing. Fans and hawkers can be a judgmental, shitty bunch.

I actually think, knowing full well the amount of grief people are feeling, that he is appearing with something from his dad (music they agreed to put out after Ed passed away). I just don't think, only a month after his father died, that he would appear on Stern and push his own solo work so soon.

But who knows? Again, I think it's TOTALLY GREAT if he is going to be previewing his own music. I just think people will be real assholes about it. He knows full well that releasing some new Ed music would shut a lot of the leeches (e.g. The Real Music Observer) up with their shitty, made-up lies about a new band with Hagar, etc.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Wasn't one of Al's kids supposed to be an Olympic athlete. Some kind of runner, I think. If there's ever an Olympics again, we might see him.
    Yes, this is true. I can't recall whether hes been to the Olympics but yes its Aric Van Halen who is the runner.

I recall seeing his twitter account that said "Exercising With the Devil".

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,610 Posts

I would lol if Wolfgang went on there and said "my dad thinks Sammy is a cunt"

9. 2 users say thank you to twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Hardrock69 (11-13-2020),Seshmeister (11-12-2020)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-19-2023 @ 02:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I saw a pic of him promoting this appearance on Instagram. It appears he has been doing some stress eating. Someone needs to get with him and teach him some restraint. It just isn't healthy for someone his age to be so heavy. He has the means to get this straightened out.

I do want to hear his music though.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Doug Podell worked as the local producer here for the Stern show when Stern was on WNCX

WOLFGANG VAN HALEN's Debut Solo Single "Distance" Is Dedicated To His Father

By Doug Podell
    Nov 12, 2020

Wolfgang Van Halen will release his debut solo single,"Distance", on Monday, November 16. The song is taken from the VAN HALEN bassist's forthcoming solo album, which will be made available via Explorer1 Music Group. The disc was recorded with producer Michael "Elvis" Baskette at VAN HALEN's 5150 Studios in California.

With the passing of the song's inspiration, Wolfgang's father — the legendary VAN HALEN guitarist Eddie Van Halen— it seemed appropriate to release now as the song was one of his father's favorites from the recording sessions.

"Those Who Dare, Win!"
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-19-2024 @ 02:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm expecting it to be a good listen. Eddie likely had much input and ideas on this album. It will be interesting to see where Wolf takes his career.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/wolf...PyB2qUd8XaG9fQ

Wolfgang Van Halen Dedicates Debut Solo Single to His Father
    Ultimate Classic Rock Staff
    Published: November 12, 2020

Wolfgang Van Halen is dedicating his debut solo single, "Distance," to his late father, Eddie Van Halen. He will release the song on Nov. 16, the same day he'll appear on SiriusXM's The Howard Stern Show.

"'Distance' is a song that was initially written for the debut album, but was going to be held for a later time," the Van Halen bassist said in a statement, Blabbermouth reports. "As my pop continued to struggle with various health issues, I was imagining what my life would be like without him and how terribly I'd miss him. While this song is incredibly personal, I think anyone can relate to the idea of having a profound loss in their own life."

He added that he "never anticipated 'Distance' would be the first song of mine that people would hear, but I also thought my father would be here to celebrate its release along with me."

News of Wolfgang's solo album first broke five years ago; producer Michael "Elvis" Baskette revealed in 2018 that they'd completed it. The multi-instrumentalist — who played everything on the record — signed a record deal with Explorer1 Music Group in February, but he revealed this summer that the COVID-19 pandemic had delayed the project's release.

"I'm working on it! The state of the world has really thrown a wrench into how I saw this releasing (given that no touring is able to happen until this all blows over), but I have a few ideas that I'm really excited about, so stay tuned!" he tweeted in July, responding to a fan question.

Eddie, who died in October at age 65, enthused in 2015 that his son's album sounds "like AC/DC meets Van Halen meets aggressive pop," adding, "The riffs are catchy. It’s a little of everything and sounds like a freight train coming at you. I’ve never heard anything quite like it. It’s so powerful that I’m jealous."

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    It'll be interesting to hear what Wolfgang has come up with, I suppose.

Ultimately, that interest will only matter if I find the music itself interesting, and if that will be the case has nothing to do with who Wolfgang is, who his father was or Wolfgang's role in Van Halen. It'll just be strictly the musical content and if listening to it ends up moving me.

I wouldn't castigate the kid if he ends up promoting his solo work on Stern's show so recently after his father passed. The album has been completed for a while now. Doubtless online trolls and the like might bitch that it's "too soon" or whatever. But, you know, how long is the kid supposed to wait in terms of making it appear respectable to a bunch of fans who never personally knew Eddie Van Halen? Wolfgang could wait a year, and then these same whiners would say that Wolfgang is being selfish by not putting his own musical ambitions to one side and instead devoting his career to releasing whatever stuff Eddie hadn't put out yet.

So, why not release his stuff now? Without ever personally knowing Eddie Van Halen either, I'd imagine Eddie would have wanted Wolfgang to put his solo debut out there.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

One, I look forward to hearing this.

Two, the kid needs this. It was probably scheduled way in advance, but he needs to be doing something to keep his mind off his loss. He is dealing with enough crap on his plate.

When my Dad died, I had a lot of other stuff going on, and keeping my mind occupied was the best way to deal with it.

I cannot even begin to understand the pressure he is under right now.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It's my understanding that the album was finished sometime in 2019... planning for this solo release was nearing finalization back in February this year.

Then... COVID hit, which put the release plans on hold and then Ed's health and cancer battle took a sharp turn for the worse.

Why now..? I believe Wolfgang wanted to have his dad around for the release, thus the delays. That didn't play out... So, it would appear the young man is attempting to move forward with his life. This seems like a healthy thing for a 29 year old, with many years ahead of him, to forge on with his musical career/interests.

I wish him success and it's my hope that his provides him with a healthy outlet for going on after the loss of his Pop. Get this out there and maybe it'll motivate him to invest some time on the Van Halen vault and work with his father/uncle's remaining business interests to keep the legacy of the Mighty Van Halen band going...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,982 Posts

I too am looking forward to hearing the interview and the music. Hey, maybe Al will hit the road with him! He may be able to play every instrument in the studio, but he can't live!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It would be nice.

But he has to deal with the psychological aspects of carving out his own identity while standing in Pop's shadow.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    It would be nice.

But he has to deal with the psychological aspects of carving out his own identity while standing in Pop's shadow.
    He strikes me as being fairly confident in his own abilities.

Considering his age when he joined Van Halen, he didn't seem particularly ill at ease onstage with the band. Perhaps a bit on the first tour, but the subsequent tours demonstrated zero in the way of jitters on his part as far as I can see. He didn't shy away from giving his input on the setlists, or during the recording of ADKOT.

I don't think Wolfgang is necessarily approaching his own music in terms of trying to equal what his father did in terms of impacting rock music to the same degree that his father did. And just as well, really: that'd be a tall order for anybody.

The comparisons will always be inevitable. The test will be Wolfgang's music rising or falling on its own merit, and while just being "the kid of" will get that person a listen that an unknown wouldn't, it won't guarantee stellar or lasting commercial success. Just ask Ziggy Marley. Or Julian Lennon. Or Sean Lennon. Or Dweezel Zappa.

Plus...well, shit, if a Roth reunion album with Van Halen in 2012 did less than a million in terms of physical albums/cds sold (have no idea what the online purchasing figures were), I tend to doubt Wolfgang is expecting his album to be a commerical success. Frankly, the kid is well-off enough that he doesn't NEED it to be...

All he can do is just be authentic to who he is and what he wants his music to be. Because he is already solvent, he can afford to be those things.

21. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

Hardrock69 (11-14-2020),So this is love (11-15-2020)

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Being in and playing with Van Halen can make one fairly confident in their own abilities, I would imagine, Terry.

I recall just 13 years ago when a 16-year-old was suddenly on a major arena tour playing bass for one of the most legendary bands of rock music.

He slightly had the unsure vibe going on, as he was feeling his way through learning his stage persona in real time, and getting familiar with his newfound job working for the family business.

Literally is the family business, lol. Kind of interesting analogy.

2015, I saw a seasoned professional, whose goal each night was to go out and destroy the fuck out of everything with his playing.

Good lord.....he was terrifying!

Then I got the pleasure of seeing him several hundred or thousand times as I edited the live video.

Listening to him right now. Just the first 3 songs his is tearing it up! And leaving further destrukt-chun for the entire rest of the show. Wow. Just fucking wow.

Granted, the family business gave him quite the boost, but in another 10 years I predict he will be even better, and will continue in the family business as a career.
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 11-13-2020 at 08:05 PM.

23. Thanked Hardrock69 for this KICKASS post:

Terry (11-13-2020)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'd agree.

2008 gig I saw, he was perhaps a bit tentative onstage. Come 2012, he seemed perfectly relaxed at at ease performing with the group. I thought he did a more than capable job both at the 2012 show I saw and on the ADKOT album: being "the kid of" got him in the door, but the ultimate result came from his own abilities/output.

As you say, it literally is a family business. But Wolfgang seems to be as level-headed about it as a kid who grew up in his circumstances could be expected to. Doubtless, Wolfgang will share the business concerns of the Van Halen brand name with his uncle. Probably take over when his uncle passes on, or retires from it all.

25. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Hardrock69 (11-14-2020)

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I am watching the last show again. I watch it at least once or twice a week.

Sorta like a Fistful of Dollars, or Casablanca, or Seven Samurai....one of those films that, when it is on cable, you are REQUIRED to watch the thing.....because the performances are just that fucking awesome.

And I have always spent time listening to Wolfy play during that set...as Alex and Ed are a given....and it is great to hear what Wolfy is adding to the mix.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It is like someone who grew up with A-list movie star parents or something.

Could you imagine being the child of Jack Benny, or Bing Crosby or some shit....where it would be no big deal to have a bash at the house with say, Humphrey Bogart, Judy Garland, John Wayne, or whoever?

I also think he has grown into quite the awesome, level-headed young man.

28. Thanked Hardrock69 for this KICKASS post:

So this is love (11-15-2020)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-16-2024 @ 07:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I am looking forward to tomorrows' Stern interview with Wolfgang and his new music, I have to admit if he wouldn't be EVH son, his music wouldn't attract as much instant interest and he also wouldn't be on Howard Stern, but I must say I am quite curious as many VH fans will.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I wonder if Stern will play the clip of Stuttering John asking EVH if he was going to name his next kid "Dogface"

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He's got a pretty good voice

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Damn...wow...just fucking wow...

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2022 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,468 Posts

New Wolfgang Van Halen tribute video to his dad

Hard to watch this!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I liked it.

Even taken out of the context of all that family home video footage - and the sentimentality that provokes - it's a good tune.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is how well Wolfgang sings (am assuming that was him doing the vocals). And it's not intentionally derivative of the CVH sound, or calculated to sound like Van Halen.

Honestly, had this been played on the radio with no notice given as to who it was from, I would have thought it was good. I can't say it would have necessarily made me want to hear more from the artist, but I wouldn't have thought it was disposable, forgettable, in one ear and the out the other after one listen type pap.

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2022 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,468 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I liked it.

Even taken out of the context of all that family home video footage - and the sentimentality that provokes - it's a good tune.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is how well Wolfgang sings (am assuming that was him doing the vocals). And it's not intentionally derivative of the CVH sound, or calculated to sound like Van Halen.

Honestly, had this been played on the radio with no notice given as to who it was from, I would have thought it was good. I can't say it would have necessarily made me want to hear more from the artist, but I wouldn't have thought it was disposable, forgettable, in one ear and the out the other after one listen type pap.
    In other words it was a sentimental video, very sad to watch.... but it sounds like daughtry?

I think the video was a great tribute. I’ll just leave it at that.

37. Thanked WARF for this KICKASS post:

Terry (11-25-2021)

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

He strikes me as being fairly confident in his own abilities.

Considering his age when he joined Van Halen, he didn't seem particularly ill at ease onstage with the band. Perhaps a bit on the first tour, but the subsequent tours demonstrated zero in the way of jitters on his part as far as I can see. He didn't shy away from giving his input on the setlists, or during the recording of ADKOT.

I don't think Wolfgang is necessarily approaching his own music in terms of trying to equal what his father did in terms of impacting rock music to the same degree that his father did. And just as well, really: that'd be a tall order for anybody.

The comparisons will always be inevitable. The test will be Wolfgang's music rising or falling on its own merit, and while just being "the kid of" will get that person a listen that an unknown wouldn't, it won't guarantee stellar or lasting commercial success. Just ask Ziggy Marley. Or Julian Lennon. Or Sean Lennon. Or Dweezel Zappa.

Plus...well, shit, if a Roth reunion album with Van Halen in 2012 did less than a million in terms of physical albums/cds sold (have no idea what the online purchasing figures were), I tend to doubt Wolfgang is expecting his album to be a commerical success. Frankly, the kid is well-off enough that he doesn't NEED it to be...

All he can do is just be authentic to who he is and what he wants his music to be. Because he is already solvent, he can afford to be those things.
    Well the reunion album did do a million worldwide . It was actually in the top 50 albums world wide for the year.
    But if you look at the charts, most of the so called big rap stars sell beans. It's all streams.
    But realistically, I think Wolfgang has shown that he has solid talent and a good voice.
    His voice will get better still. It takes some time for a singer to really find his groove and sound.
    I hope this finally shuts up all the people who said they were using tapes of Michael Anthony on tour once and for all.
    Good for Wolfgang.

39. Thanked nick500 for this KICKASS post:

Terry (11-25-2021)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WARF View Post
    In other words it was a sentimental video, very sad to watch.... but it sounds like daughtry?

I think the video was a great tribute. I’ll just leave it at that.
    Not sure who/what daughrty is...

It's a good tune...not really the type of rock I gravitate toward, but I liked it well enough.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nick500 View Post
    Well the reunion album did do a million worldwide . It was actually in the top 50 albums world wide for the year.
    But if you look at the charts, most of the so called big rap stars sell beans. It's all streams.
    But realistically, I think Wolfgang has shown that he has solid talent and a good voice.
    His voice will get better still. It takes some time for a singer to really find his groove and sound.
    I hope this finally shuts up all the people who said they were using tapes of Michael Anthony on tour once and for all.
    Good for Wolfgang.
    Well, I gotta tell you, at least for the first Roth reunion tour in 2007-2008, the show I saw sure sounded like backing vocals were being piped in at times. As to if they were backing vocals taken directly from the CVH albums or backing vocals Roth and Wolfgang pre-recorded and had piped in to augment the live performance, I can't say. But there were points where the choruses came up and Eddie wasn't at his mic with only Roth and Wolfgang singing and the overall vocal sound was way too full for it to have just been Roth and Wolfgang singing live, even with liberal amounts of reverb/delay.

So ADKOT did do over a million worldwide...was that a combo of printed/pressed tangible units along with streaming purchases?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not sure who/what daughrty is...
    Me either.

But I like this tune. The guitar "solo" definitely has an EVH vibe.

I can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

43. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Terry (11-16-2020)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Damn...wow...just fucking wow...
    That pretty much covers it... Wow™

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I like the "You're To Blame" song too. Much crunchier than "Distance".

46. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

High Life Man (11-16-2020)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The song really does nothing for me. It's very...MODERN...in that sort of generic way. He's a talented musician. I guess I was just expecting something a bit more...I don't know.

And I defend Wolf a lot. I've thought Michael Anthony is not the world's greatest bass-player and always thought the band actually had a stronger rhythm section with Wolf in the band.

But this song...it's ok. Not my favorite. The video is moving, though.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    I like the "You're To Blame" song too. Much crunchier than "Distance".
    Where are you finding this other song?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Where are you finding this other song?
    They played it on Stern.

Thread Information