X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZahZoo
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

New Wolfgang Van Halen tribute video to his dad

Our Roth Army ghost writer™ on Facebook is reporting...

Wolfgang Van Halen will appear on Howard Stern Sirius/SM show this Monday, Nov. 16th to debut "something new"....
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I'm guessing that the "something new" will be from Wolf's own solo album (which has taken about as long as Axl's "Chinese Hypocrisy" or Boston's "Third Stage" to materialize) and not any of the rumored "lost" Van HALEN recordings.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Diamondjimi
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2004

The snipits I've heard from his album sound pretty damn good. I wish him all the best.
      He's the only Van Halen capable of carrying on the family legacy. Don't look to
      Al's kids. They're busy shooting hoops and playing Pokemon Go..
      Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• ZahZoo
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I'd be interested in giving the kid's solo release a listen.

Hoping they discuss the possibility of his dad's vaults being opened up and something getting released.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
          The snipits I've heard from his album sound pretty damn good. I wish him all the best.
          He's the only Van Halen capable of carrying on the family legacy. Don't look to
          Al's kids. They're busy shooting hoops and playing Pokemon Go..
          Wasn't one of Al's kids supposed to be an Olympic athlete. Some kind of runner, I think. If there's ever an Olympics again, we might see him.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Rikk
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

I have to say, I have a hard time believing that he is appearing on Stern to promote his own solo album. While I don't feel this way, I think he could be unfairly maligned for pushing his own music right in the wake of his father's passing. Fans and hawkers can be a judgmental, shitty bunch.

I actually think, knowing full well the amount of grief people are feeling, that he is appearing with something from his dad (music they agreed to put out after Ed passed away). I just don't think, only a month after his father died, that he would appear on Stern and push his own solo work so soon.

But who knows? Again, I think it's TOTALLY GREAT if he is going to be previewing his own music. I just think people will be real assholes about it. He knows full well that releasing some new Ed music would shut a lot of the leeches (e.g. The Real Music Observer) up with their shitty, made-up lies about a new band with Hagar, etc.
            Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
            Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by FORD
              Wasn't one of Al's kids supposed to be an Olympic athlete. Some kind of runner, I think. If there's ever an Olympics again, we might see him.
              Yes, this is true. I can't recall whether hes been to the Olympics but yes its Aric Van Halen who is the runner.

I recall seeing his twitter account that said "Exercising With the Devil".
              =V V=
              ole No.1 The finest
              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I would lol if Wolfgang went on there and said "my dad thinks Sammy is a cunt"
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• george
                  Roadie
                  • Feb 2004

I saw a pic of him promoting this appearance on Instagram. It appears he has been doing some stress eating. Someone needs to get with him and teach him some restraint. It just isn't healthy for someone his age to be so heavy. He has the means to get this straightened out.

I do want to hear his music though.

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Doug Podell worked as the local producer here for the Stern show when Stern was on WNCX

WOLFGANG VAN HALEN's Debut Solo Single "Distance" Is Dedicated To His Father

By Doug Podell
                    Nov 12, 2020

Wolfgang Van Halen will release his debut solo single,"Distance", on Monday, November 16. The song is taken from the VAN HALEN bassist's forthcoming solo album, which will be made available via Explorer1 Music Group. The disc was recorded with producer Michael "Elvis" Baskette at VAN HALEN's 5150 Studios in California.

With the passing of the song's inspiration, Wolfgang's father — the legendary VAN HALEN guitarist Eddie Van Halen— it seemed appropriate to release now as the song was one of his father's favorites from the recording sessions.
                    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• ppg960
                      Sniper
                      • Dec 2005

I'm expecting it to be a good listen. Eddie likely had much input and ideas on this album. It will be interesting to see where Wolf takes his career.

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Wolfgang Van Halen Dedicates Debut Solo Single to His Father
                        Ultimate Classic Rock Staff
                        Published: November 12, 2020

Wolfgang Van Halen is dedicating his debut solo single, "Distance," to his late father, Eddie Van Halen. He will release the song on Nov. 16, the same day he'll appear on SiriusXM's The Howard Stern Show.

"'Distance' is a song that was initially written for the debut album, but was going to be held for a later time," the Van Halen bassist said in a statement, Blabbermouth reports. "As my pop continued to struggle with various health issues, I was imagining what my life would be like without him and how terribly I'd miss him. While this song is incredibly personal, I think anyone can relate to the idea of having a profound loss in their own life."

He added that he "never anticipated 'Distance' would be the first song of mine that people would hear, but I also thought my father would be here to celebrate its release along with me."

News of Wolfgang's solo album first broke five years ago; producer Michael "Elvis" Baskette revealed in 2018 that they'd completed it. The multi-instrumentalist — who played everything on the record — signed a record deal with Explorer1 Music Group in February, but he revealed this summer that the COVID-19 pandemic had delayed the project's release.

"I'm working on it! The state of the world has really thrown a wrench into how I saw this releasing (given that no touring is able to happen until this all blows over), but I have a few ideas that I'm really excited about, so stay tuned!" he tweeted in July, responding to a fan question.

Eddie, who died in October at age 65, enthused in 2015 that his son's album sounds "like AC/DC meets Van Halen meets aggressive pop," adding, "The riffs are catchy. It’s a little of everything and sounds like a freight train coming at you. I’ve never heard anything quite like it. It’s so powerful that I’m jealous."

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

It'll be interesting to hear what Wolfgang has come up with, I suppose.

Ultimately, that interest will only matter if I find the music itself interesting, and if that will be the case has nothing to do with who Wolfgang is, who his father was or Wolfgang's role in Van Halen. It'll just be strictly the musical content and if listening to it ends up moving me.

I wouldn't castigate the kid if he ends up promoting his solo work on Stern's show so recently after his father passed. The album has been completed for a while now. Doubtless online trolls and the like might bitch that it's "too soon" or whatever. But, you know, how long is the kid supposed to wait in terms of making it appear respectable to a bunch of fans who never personally knew Eddie Van Halen? Wolfgang could wait a year, and then these same whiners would say that Wolfgang is being selfish by not putting his own musical ambitions to one side and instead devoting his career to releasing whatever stuff Eddie hadn't put out yet.

So, why not release his stuff now? Without ever personally knowing Eddie Van Halen either, I'd imagine Eddie would have wanted Wolfgang to put his solo debut out there.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2005

One, I look forward to hearing this.

Two, the kid needs this. It was probably scheduled way in advance, but he needs to be doing something to keep his mind off his loss. He is dealing with enough crap on his plate.

When my Dad died, I had a lot of other stuff going on, and keeping my mind occupied was the best way to deal with it.

I cannot even begin to understand the pressure he is under right now.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

It's my understanding that the album was finished sometime in 2019... planning for this solo release was nearing finalization back in February this year.

Then... COVID hit, which put the release plans on hold and then Ed's health and cancer battle took a sharp turn for the worse.

Why now..? I believe Wolfgang wanted to have his dad around for the release, thus the delays. That didn't play out... So, it would appear the young man is attempting to move forward with his life. This seems like a healthy thing for a 29 year old, with many years ahead of him, to forge on with his musical career/interests.

I wish him success and it's my hope that his provides him with a healthy outlet for going on after the loss of his Pop. Get this out there and maybe it'll motivate him to invest some time on the Van Halen vault and work with his father/uncle's remaining business interests to keep the legacy of the Mighty Van Halen band going...

Comment

Working...