X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

I'm a Dad, and a son.

Loved it, and love that Wolfie has a way to express how he's feeling right now for his Dad...and to do it in a way that connects to the family business.

There was a day when the narrowness of my thinking would have limited me to...a lot. I'm glad I'm not that dude anymore. It took kids to make me realize that if I didn't broaden my perspective, I wasn't going to be very good at the Dad thing. I somehow was able to see life a bit through their eyes, and I think that...hope that...Ed found that with Wolfie.

Regardless. I like the song for what it is...something from the heart from a son to his Dad. Obviously, Ed loved it...as any Dad worth a pound of salt would...if their kid wrote that for them. Navigating life is hard. I'm glad Wolf will always have the music...and those videos...and obviously a lot of memories. I'm in his corner for whatever ride he goes on...

...unless Sammy joins his band. I can only go so far...

-PO

Oh...good to see you dudes. Hope all is well. You too Vonn, even if you do live in the wrong state.
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• So this is love
      Veteran
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by WARF
      In other words it was a sentimental video, very sad to watch.... but it sounds like daughtry?

I think the video was a great tribute. I’ll just leave it at that.
      Exactly, Daughtry, my thought too. He seems down to earth and a well balanced human being. Nice video
      Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
        Well, Wolf said it, and said his Dad was on board with it.
        Yeah well, I doubt Azoff would've been on board. The logistics would've been a nightmare. Like Sam-Dave tour type of disaster.

Flip a coin who closes or opens? Van Hagar or CVH? Everyone on stage would look silly.
        Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 11-16-2020, 01:57 PM.
        =V V=
        ole No.1 The finest
        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
          I'm a Dad, and a son.

Loved it, and love that Wolfie has a way to express how he's feeling right now for his Dad...and to do it in a way that connects to the family business.

There was a day when the narrowness of my thinking would have limited me to...a lot. I'm glad I'm not that dude anymore. It took kids to make me realize that if I didn't broaden my perspective, I wasn't going to be very good at the Dad thing. I somehow was able to see life a bit through their eyes, and I think that...hope that...Ed found that with Wolfie.

Regardless. I like the song for what it is...something from the heart from a son to his Dad. Obviously, Ed loved it...as any Dad worth a pound of salt would...if their kid wrote that for them. Navigating life is hard. I'm glad Wolf will always have the music...and those videos...and obviously a lot of memories. I'm in his corner for whatever ride he goes on...

...unless Sammy joins his band. I can only go so far...

-PO

Oh...good to see you dudes. Hope all is well. You too Vonn, even if you do live in the wrong state.
          POJ' my brother.

Good to see ya.
          =V V=
          ole No.1 The finest
          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
            Yeah well, I doubt Azoff would've been on board. The logistics would've been a nightmare. Like Sam-Dave tour type of disaster.

Flip a coin who closes or opens? Van Hagar or CVH? Everyone on stage would look silly.
            Hear it from Wolfgang...

"If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
              Hear it from Wolfgang...

Yes, just saw that.

But I doubt a kitchen sink tour was going to work. It may have been discussed as it was and even presented to Azoff.

Which is why it was going to be a CVH tour - as Azoff confirmed and seems like Wolf here confirms as well cause the only member who was said to have been approached was Mike.

Late 2018, we read the interviews where Dave was teasing a stadium tour.
              =V V=
              ole No.1 The finest
              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
                Veteran
                • May 2004

I despise Howard Stern on a good day but this is the worst interview ever. Howard just grunting most of the way through. "Really? Hum. Yeah"

AUDIO

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Yes, just saw that.

But I doubt a kitchen sink tour was going to work. It may have been discussed as it was and even presented to Azoff.

Which is why it was going to be a CVH tour - as Azoff confirmed and seems like Wolf here confirms as well cause the only member who was said to have been approached was Mike.

Late 2018, we read the interviews where Dave was teasing a stadium tour.
                  Which is...a nice thought...a 2019 CVH tour, that is.

Honestly, by the time late 2018/early 2019 rolled around, the idea of a CVH tour had lost whatever residual interest still remained from the summer of 1996. Mostly because Dave just couldn't sing the tunes worth a damn live by the time 2012 rolled around. A CVH tour in 1997 or even as late as 2007 would have been worth attending, because everybody in the group was more or less up for it (a little less in Ed's case circa 2008).

As little interest as I would have had in seeing CVH in 2019, I would have had zero interest in a kitchen sink scenario. Even if said scenario was the cost of getting Anthony onstage with Roth and the Van Halens again. While I don't hate Sam Hagar or Van Hagar with the intensity of some, those two versions of the group just aren't compatible to me. And the idea of seeing Hagar onstage with Roth and Van Halen in some sort of kitchen sink medley - which is doubtless a scenario that would have come to pass had such a kitchen sink tour taken place - no fucking thanks to that one. It's all academic, anyway, since I tend to doubt Roth would have even agreed to a kitchen sink tour, anyway: by 2019, Roth didn't need the money.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                    Which is...a nice thought...a 2019 CVH tour, that is.

Honestly, by the time late 2018/early 2019 rolled around, the idea of a CVH tour had lost whatever residual interest still remained from the summer of 1996. Mostly because Dave just couldn't sing the tunes worth a damn live by the time 2012 rolled around. A CVH tour in 1997 or even as late as 2007 would have been worth attending, because everybody in the group was more or less up for it (a little less in Ed's case circa 2008).

As little interest as I would have had in seeing CVH in 2019, I would have had zero interest in a kitchen sink scenario. Even if said scenario was the cost of getting Anthony onstage with Roth and the Van Halens again. While I don't hate Sam Hagar or Van Hagar with the intensity of some, those two versions of the group just aren't compatible to me. And the idea of seeing Hagar onstage with Roth and Van Halen in some sort of kitchen sink medley - which is doubtless a scenario that would have come to pass had such a kitchen sink tour taken place - no fucking thanks to that one. It's all academic, anyway, since I tend to doubt Roth would have even agreed to a kitchen sink tour, anyway: by 2019, Roth didn't need the money.
                    Roth's vocals were much better on his dates with KISS earlier this year.

So he knew he was struggling and obviously was working on it. I have no doubts he would've done the same for a full CVH tour.

Also, having Mike back would've helped Dave as well.
                    =V V=
                    ole No.1 The finest
                    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Me either.

But I like this tune. The guitar "solo" definitely has an EVH vibe.

I can't wait to hear the rest of the album.
                      For some reason, I thought Wolfgang's solo stuff would be this slightly retro nu metal circa early 2000s - which I don't care for - so the style of that Distance tune was a surprise.

And I like it. Not over the moon about it, but I like it. It smacks of Wolfgang wanting to do the music he wants to do, and not trying to slavishly imitate Van Halen. There's a level of competence and ability in the performance, lyrics and vocals. I'm not gonna say the tune was something that is leaps and bounds beyond what other contemporary rock artists are doing these days in the way that CVH stood out head and shoulders above their contemporaries, because it isn't.

But it didn't suck.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Roth's vocals were much better on his dates with KISS earlier this year.

So he knew he was struggling and obviously was working on it. I have no doubts he would've done the same for a full CVH tour.
                        One would like to think that would have been the case.

Roth certainly upped his game several notches for the 2007 tour compared to what he had been doing solo as a live act in the couple of years prior to that.

But...Dave had been struggling live with Van Halen on both the 2012 and 2015 tours: hard for me to imagine four years down the road from the last Van Halen tour would have resulted in that situation getting any better.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Full audio of the Wolfgang interview...

Last edited by ZahZoo; 11-17-2020, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• Von Halen
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I'm not sure Wolfgang realizes how old the majority of the Van Halen fanbase is. If he is going to wait potentially years to even start going through the vault, he's taking a chance on missing out on capitalizing on the stuff. VH fan ain't getting any younger! I'm much more interested in a DVD of an old live show, than I am all that vault material. I've said for years, I'd like to just sit on my couch and watch a clean version of one of those shows, with killer sound. My life would then be complete.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                              I wonder if Stern will play the clip of Stuttering John asking EVH if he was going to name his next kid "Dogface"
                              Wrong! He asked if Eddie "named his son Wolfgang, will he name his next daughter Coyote?"

Comment

• ZahZoo
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I'm not sure Wolfgang realizes how old the majority of the Van Halen fanbase is. If he is going to wait potentially years to even start going through the vault, he's taking a chance on missing out on capitalizing on the stuff. VH fan ain't getting any younger! I'm much more interested in a DVD of an old live show, than I am all that vault material. I've said for years, I'd like to just sit on my couch and watch a clean version of one of those shows, with killer sound. My life would then be complete.
                                One thing that favors us... elders™... Warner Brothers Inc knows now is the time to tap into the fan base interest. Whatever they may be sitting on in their vaults that they retained ownership of the masters may/should contain some of the live show materials from the CVH era.

No idea what contractual hurdles exist but I'm sure they could put release packages together quick and of good quality with little effort.

I hope Alex and Wolfgang don't stand in the way of something new getting out...

Comment

Working...