• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WARF
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
    I liked it.

Even taken out of the context of all that family home video footage - and the sentimentality that provokes - it's a good tune.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is how well Wolfgang sings (am assuming that was him doing the vocals). And it's not intentionally derivative of the CVH sound, or calculated to sound like Van Halen.

Honestly, had this been played on the radio with no notice given as to who it was from, I would have thought it was good. I can't say it would have necessarily made me want to hear more from the artist, but I wouldn't have thought it was disposable, forgettable, in one ear and the out the other after one listen type pap.
    In other words it was a sentimental video, very sad to watch.... but it sounds like daughtry?

I think the video was a great tribute. I’ll just leave it at that.

Comment

• nick500
      Groupie
      • Jul 2019

He strikes me as being fairly confident in his own abilities.

Considering his age when he joined Van Halen, he didn't seem particularly ill at ease onstage with the band. Perhaps a bit on the first tour, but the subsequent tours demonstrated zero in the way of jitters on his part as far as I can see. He didn't shy away from giving his input on the setlists, or during the recording of ADKOT.

I don't think Wolfgang is necessarily approaching his own music in terms of trying to equal what his father did in terms of impacting rock music to the same degree that his father did. And just as well, really: that'd be a tall order for anybody.

The comparisons will always be inevitable. The test will be Wolfgang's music rising or falling on its own merit, and while just being "the kid of" will get that person a listen that an unknown wouldn't, it won't guarantee stellar or lasting commercial success. Just ask Ziggy Marley. Or Julian Lennon. Or Sean Lennon. Or Dweezel Zappa.

Plus...well, shit, if a Roth reunion album with Van Halen in 2012 did less than a million in terms of physical albums/cds sold (have no idea what the online purchasing figures were), I tend to doubt Wolfgang is expecting his album to be a commerical success. Frankly, the kid is well-off enough that he doesn't NEED it to be...

All he can do is just be authentic to who he is and what he wants his music to be. Because he is already solvent, he can afford to be those things.
      Well the reunion album did do a million worldwide . It was actually in the top 50 albums world wide for the year.
      But if you look at the charts, most of the so called big rap stars sell beans. It's all streams.
      But realistically, I think Wolfgang has shown that he has solid talent and a good voice.
      His voice will get better still. It takes some time for a singer to really find his groove and sound.
      I hope this finally shuts up all the people who said they were using tapes of Michael Anthony on tour once and for all.
      Good for Wolfgang.

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by WARF
        In other words it was a sentimental video, very sad to watch.... but it sounds like daughtry?

I think the video was a great tribute. I’ll just leave it at that.
        Not sure who/what daughrty is...

It's a good tune...not really the type of rock I gravitate toward, but I liked it well enough.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by nick500
          Well the reunion album did do a million worldwide . It was actually in the top 50 albums world wide for the year.
          But if you look at the charts, most of the so called big rap stars sell beans. It's all streams.
          But realistically, I think Wolfgang has shown that he has solid talent and a good voice.
          His voice will get better still. It takes some time for a singer to really find his groove and sound.
          I hope this finally shuts up all the people who said they were using tapes of Michael Anthony on tour once and for all.
          Good for Wolfgang.
          Well, I gotta tell you, at least for the first Roth reunion tour in 2007-2008, the show I saw sure sounded like backing vocals were being piped in at times. As to if they were backing vocals taken directly from the CVH albums or backing vocals Roth and Wolfgang pre-recorded and had piped in to augment the live performance, I can't say. But there were points where the choruses came up and Eddie wasn't at his mic with only Roth and Wolfgang singing and the overall vocal sound was way too full for it to have just been Roth and Wolfgang singing live, even with liberal amounts of reverb/delay.

So ADKOT did do over a million worldwide...was that a combo of printed/pressed tangible units along with streaming purchases?
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Von Halen
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Not sure who/what daughrty is...
            Me either.

But I like this tune. The guitar "solo" definitely has an EVH vibe.

I can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

Comment

• ZahZoo
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
              Damn...wow...just fucking wow...
              That pretty much covers it... Wow™
              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Von Halen
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I like the "You're To Blame" song too. Much crunchier than "Distance".

Comment

• Rikk
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

The song really does nothing for me. It's very...MODERN...in that sort of generic way. He's a talented musician. I guess I was just expecting something a bit more...I don't know.

And I defend Wolf a lot. I've thought Michael Anthony is not the world's greatest bass-player and always thought the band actually had a stronger rhythm section with Wolf in the band.

But this song...it's ok. Not my favorite. The video is moving, though.
                  Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                  Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I like the "You're To Blame" song too. Much crunchier than "Distance".
                    Where are you finding this other song?
                    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Von Halen
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                      They played it on Stern.

Comment

• george
                        Roadie
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                        I think it was played during the Stern interview this morning. I don't have SiriusXM so I missed it. Hopefully someone posts the interview today.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                          The song really does nothing for me. It's very...MODERN...in that sort of generic way. He's a talented musician. I guess I was just expecting something a bit more...I don't know.

And I defend Wolf a lot. I've thought Michael Anthony is not the world's greatest bass-player and always thought the band actually had a stronger rhythm section with Wolf in the band.

Yeah same here.

Its an ok song. Nothing great.

Video was touching though.

I imagine Wolf will be a popular "indie" type of artist. And have a following from hipsters who listen to this music at a Starbucks.

Which isn't a bad thing.
                          =V V=
                          ole No.1 The finest
                          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Von Halen
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Rikk

This is the problem. It was never going to be VH. It will be Mammoth WVH, but never Van Halen. It's going to be a tough go for him, living in his Dad's shadow. But he's a musician and he just has to do what he does. Fortunately he doesn't have to worry about paying the bills, so if it isn't commercially successful, he won't starve.

The Stern interview was good. He seems like a very grounded guy. He gets what he's up against. But, at least he is doing his own thing and not trying to be a clone of his Dad, stylistically.

Thank goodness "The Kitchen Sink" tour never happened. I love the fact that Clichegar never had the opportunity to worm his way back in. I love the fact that the last tour/show with Clichegar, was a fucking DISASTER. No matter how much Clichegar would love to change history, he can't. His VH career ended with him nearly getting a guitar broken over his head. A fitting end.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

This is the problem. It was never going to be VH. It will be Mammoth WVH, but never Van Halen. It's going to be a tough go for him, living in his Dad's shadow. But he's a musician and he just has to do what he does. Fortunately he doesn't have to worry about paying the bills, so if it isn't commercially successful, he won't starve.

The Stern interview was good. He seems like a very grounded guy. He gets what he's up against. But, at least he is doing his own thing and not trying to be a clone of his Dad, stylistically.

Thank goodness "The Kitchen Sink" tour never happened. I love the fact that Clichegar never had the opportunity to worm his way back in. I love the fact that the last tour/show with Clichegar, was a fucking DISASTER. No matter how much Clichegar would love to change history, he can't. His VH career ended with him nearly getting a guitar broken over his head. A fitting end.
                              I'm sure the Kitchen Sink tour was nothing seriously considered.

Cause what was on the docket was a full on only-CVH tour for 2019. That we know.
                              =V V=
                              ole No.1 The finest
                              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Von Halen
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                                I'm sure the Kitchen Sink tour was nothing seriously considered.

Cause what was on the docket was a full on only-CVH tour for 2019. That we know.
                                Well, Wolf said it, and said his Dad was on board with it.

Comment

Working...