X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Wolfy Talks Vaults

Wolfgang Van Halen has told The Oakland Press that he has not yet started to look through the famous home-studio vaults of his father, legendary VAN HALEN guitarist Eddie Van Halen, for unheard material that might be suitable for future release. "That's not gonna happen for a long time," he said. "I...
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

I wondered about this when I was editing the video of their last show. Suddenly all the beach balls appeared.

In a recent interview with SPIN, Wolfgang Van Halen was asked if there was a moment that particularly stood out to him from VAN HALEN's last tour, which concluded in October 2015 at the the Hollywood Bowl. He responded: "I got a really funny story about that. Nobody's asked me about this before, so...

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Wolfgang seems understandably opposed to anyone using his father's death to take advantage of releasing material... I get that... but I also have to ask... At what point does the posthumous release no longer represent "taking advantage" of the artist's death or a "cash grab"??

Not saying give it away... but sharing the magic of this man's music with the millions of those he's already connected and many more who may discover this amazing work... at some point it becomes a gift worth sharing beyond an income stream... When will that be..?

For the music to live on... it has to be heard.
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
        Wolfgang seems understandably opposed to anyone using his father's death to take advantage of releasing material... I get that... but I also have to ask... At what point does the posthumous release no longer represent "taking advantage" of the artist's death or a "cash grab"??

Not saying give it away... but sharing the magic of this man's music with the millions of those he's already connected and many more who may discover this amazing work... at some point it becomes a gift worth sharing beyond an income stream... When will that be..?

Agreed.

I think Wolf may be just a little frustrated over all this attention paid to his dad's band which of course is over and done with.

While he's trying to push his thing.
        =V V=
        ole No.1 The finest
        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• ZahZoo
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I'm sure it's somewhat of a callused thing to say in the face of such a huge loss, such as a parent, but... opportunity in the entertainment industry comes and goes really quickly. Even more rapidly with today's pace and microsecond attention spans...

I hope Wolfgang pushes his thing and goes all out soon. The current events have captured global attention. That won't have a long shelf life...
          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

In general terms, I'd agree with all of that.

I can see Wolfgang's point from his perspective re: releasing the stuff within several months after Ed has just passed would - from where Wolfgang stands - reek of opportunism or a cash grab.

However, my own personal feeling is that whatever vault stuff which would be worth releasing should have been put out at some point during Roth's 2nd tenure with the band. Perhaps not in 2012 when the band were promoting ADKOT, but certainly in 2015 when they were basically touring as a nostalgia act anyway and not promoting a follow-up new album to ADKOT.

The fact of the matter is the band had nearly a decade re: Roth's 2nd tenure to prepare such a release, so it's not like they were ever under the gun, time-wise...

Any prospective vault release is, by this point, so ridiculously overdue that my interest steadily wanes with each passing year.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

But, at least Wolfgang is being forthright enough to straight out say any fans hoping for such a release shouldn't be hoping for anything soon (if ever).
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

The guy is still dealing with his dad passing away. I think he’s keeping himself busy as part of the process of dealing with it. Who knows what will happen to that huge stash of tapes. Apparently non of it is cataloged or organized and probably a lot of it is random noodling.

Life goes on. Maybe some of that will come out or Wolfgang gets too busy doing other things and it sits there like most people’s old home movies and pictures do. I think it’s safe to say the best stuff went out on the albums. There might not be anything all that mind blowing in the vault.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                  But, at least Wolfgang is being forthright enough to straight out say any fans hoping for such a release shouldn't be hoping for anything soon (if ever).
                  How many slides, home movies or photos do you have laying around that you said you would organize or transform to a digital format? Some people love to organize stuff like that and share it. Others never get to it. Those people tend to be the types that like to scrapbook or keep journals. I doubt we will see any of it.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

If there were a vault release just now does that mean that it could only happen over Ed's dead body?

It's like the Prince thing, great he's dead so now we get that music he didn't want to release?

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

I'm sure it's somewhat of a callused thing to say in the face of such a huge loss, such as a parent, but... opportunity in the entertainment industry comes and goes really quickly. Even more rapidly with today's pace and microsecond attention spans...

I hope Wolfgang pushes his thing and goes all out soon. The current events have captured global attention. That won't have a long shelf life...
                      EVH is a big enough legend that anything of his will stay collectible for a long time. Look at Jimi Hendrix. People would go ape for unheard Hendrix stuff from a vault never before heard.

Wolfgang doesn’t need the money. He seems to be more into doing his own thing. In fact he said his dad would be pissed at him for focusing on his dad’s stuff and not his own. Plus he might not want to go digging through his dad’s stuff. That can be very painful after a loss.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        If there were a vault release just now does that mean that it could only happen over Ed's dead body?

It's like the Prince thing, great he's dead so now we get that music he didn't want to release?
                        I remember Ed talking about those tapes at 5150. Much of it isn’t completed songs. A lot of it is him just playing and recording himself to capture ideas. Maybe with Al keeping a beat on some of it. I’m sure there are some completed songs too but it’s probably a hodge podge of stuff. One thing for sure, none of it is going to come out anytime soon.

Comment

• Jetstream
                          Foot Soldier
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                          Agreed.

I think Wolf may be just a little frustrated over all this attention paid to his dad's band which of course is over and done with.

While he's trying to push his thing.
                          I think the reality is that his father's work is really not his if one is being honest and further more all those fans who really loved what his father did are not getting any younger and if anything Ed's death should be a cue to share what one can when we can
                          I got lost in the...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Jetstream
                            I think the reality is that his father's work is really not his if one is being honest and further more all those fans who really loved what his father did are not getting any younger and if anything Ed's death should be a cue to share what one can when we can
                            Wolfgang said his dad’s stuff is his now. Sounds like Ed had good lawyers and really had things set up well. I think Jani lives in another house and the lot with 5150 is Wolgang’s. Then Wolfgang and Matt Bruck are going to run EVH Gear together.

Wolfgang said he would have to have his Uncle Al with him as he goes through the shelves of tapes at 5150 because Al would remember things because both him and Ed jammed on a lot of it. I guess some of it was cataloged on an old Radio Shack computer and the disk got wiped. They took it to professionals to see if the data could be recovered but no luck. So there is no record of what’s on the tapes.

One factor that might make Wolfgang go through the tapes sooner is he needs Al to help him. Al was a heavy smoker like Ed and has had his own health problems. Hate to say it but the chances of losing Al soon are up there because him and Ed were both heavy smokers. That stuff bites you in the ass later in life.

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister

I think, which is to say I am guessing, it's along the lines of what Nitro said, where a vast bulk of the 5150 vault stuff is largely comprised of audio recordings consisting of Ed playing ideas. Or perhaps guitar and drum jams.

And as Nitro says, if one looks at Hendrix and the Hendrix posthumous releases, one certainly can't say the absolute bottom of barrel hasn't been scraped several times over in terms of putting out every single bit of audio Hendrix ever recorded that somebody (Alan Douglas, Janie Hendrix, etc.) could get their hands on. All in varying degrees of quality, all in various stages of recording (be it recordings Hendrix did of a private nature to preserve song ideas which were then taken into a studio after his death and had musicians adding parts onto those demos, or tracks that Hendrix had recorded and not mixed or were still awaiting additional overdubs from Hendrix, etc. etc.).

While avid Hendrix fans clamor for anything, I can't say that as much as I love what Eddie did I'd necessarily want to sit through what must be hundreds of hours of Ed noodling in his home studio, listening to all that stuff trying to separate the wheat from the chaff, as it were.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...