Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries

David Lee Roth's Final Tour Schedule 2021/2022

Dave's final live performance dates: New Year's Eve in Vegas, then January 1st, 5th, and 7th and 8th 2022. On sale Saturday October 2nd.

New Dates added; January 14, 15, 21 & 22, 2022.

https://davidleeroth.com/tour/

Looking forward to some live entertainment again...

Last edited by ZahZoo; 12-06-2021 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Yo mama insisted...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

1980Invasion (10-05-2021),Von Halen (01-05-2021)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,982 Posts

Now that kind of Dave, I could listen to all day.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Romeo Delight (05-04-2021),Terry (01-09-2021)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Same here... I wish Dave would work with some true Blues artists and compose several happy, fun type tunes like that.

6. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (01-09-2021)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Now that kind of Dave, I could listen to all day.
    Yep.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Same here... I wish Dave would work with some true Blues artists and compose several happy, fun type tunes like that.
    Yep.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Can't honestly say I have much...any, really...interest in seeing Dave fronting a traditional rock-combo band setup playing a setlist heavy on CVH material anymore.

I get that is what butters the bread in terms of making the money and paying the bills, and if Dave still wants to go that route and people still want to see it, fair enough.

The recent track Dave put out as a tribute to Eddie...more of that kind of stuff - stuff I haven't heard before - I'd be very interested in hearing. The CVH stuff...I'll listen to the original studio recordings or boots of the CVH era tours when I need my fix of that stuff: what Dave is gonna be able to do with that stuff now vs. then...frankly, now just doesn't measure up for me. No point in pretending it does or wishing it were otherwise.

10. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (01-11-2021),Von Halen (01-10-2021)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Can't honestly say I have much...any, really...interest in seeing Dave fronting a traditional rock-combo band setup playing a setlist heavy on CVH material anymore.

I get that is what butters the bread in terms of making the money and paying the bills, and if Dave still wants to go that route and people still want to see it, fair enough.

The recent track Dave put out as a tribute to Eddie...more of that kind of stuff - stuff I haven't heard before - I'd be very interested in hearing. The CVH stuff...I'll listen to the original studio recordings or boots of the CVH era tours when I need my fix of that stuff: what Dave is gonna be able to do with that stuff now vs. then...frankly, now just doesn't measure up for me. No point in pretending it does or wishing it were otherwise.
    I totally agree.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I agree that nothing Dave does going forward with CVH material will measure up without Ed, Alex... even Michael and to a certain degree Wolf.

Much rather hear something new...

13. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (01-13-2021)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'm really at the point where...I'm not terribly interested in live stuff going forward in terms of what Dave does. At least not if it's a CVH setlist.

Where Dave is at in terms of his ability, I tend to think he'd be best served - at least in terms of what I'd want to hear - concentrating on recording. He can take his time, do as many takes or edits as he needs to get the vocals sounding good...and it's not just rehashing CVH, which...I mean, I couldn't be bothered seeing the 2015 tour because what Van Halen were doing live by that point was already something I'd had my fill of in terms of seeing the band perform the old material.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The problem for Dave is that in terms of an undertaking being lucrative, DLR solo isn't really a money-maker. His solo releases, infrequent as they have been since the early 1990s, haven't sold jack shit since YFLM. Masses of people just plain aren't interested in a Roth solo album, and haven't been in nearly 30 years. Doubtless the same applies to Roth as a live act: how many people would turn up for a Roth show these days unless he is playing a set heavy with CVH material along with his better-known solo stuff? Probably not even enough to fill a House Of Blues type venue in terms of capacity. None of this is a slam against Roth, but just the reality of it. It's probably why he's doing the KISS opening slot, in that he can get whatever guarantee he can command these days, doesn't have to do a full set and doesn't have to bring any known quantities in terms of his accompanying band to drum up interest that he would if he were trying to headline whatever size venues on the strength of his name as a solo act, rather than as a part of Van Halen.

Perhaps the best I can hope for is Dave continues to come up with new stuff simply because he still has the desire or drive to, and we get to hear some of it online every now and then.
    Last edited by Terry; 01-10-2021 at 05:28 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Dave is a legend. He fronted one of the best bands in rock history. He was one of the best frontmen in history. He was a MTV video pioneer who made some of the best music videos when that medium mattered. He had a few great solo albums and the Eat Em and Smile tour was legendary.

Would I see Dave now? I might.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Motley Crue went from steady decline to stadium tour on the back of a straight to TV pretty mediocre movie.

Ozzy was struggling to fill theaters before The Osbournes made Ozzfest viable.

It's up to Dave, if he wants to do it he could do it again but he would need to jump onto the merry go round again.

He would also need to consider cheating with the live performances as well.

I watched a YouTube the other day of Guns N Roses from 2019 and it was ok, I would bet musically and vocally (although lacking the punk danger) the equal of that NYC gig that was on TV way back in the day when Appetite first came out.

Most of the comments underneath were that it was a fucking disgrace, an embarrassment and so on. Axl hasn't aged well but close your eyes and it was an ok perfromance.

I think a lot of people out there are just not used to how actual live rock music sounds stripped of overdubs, 50 backing singers and autotune as the act runs about a stage especially when recorded on a fucking phone...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah it would be cool if Dave did a Diamond Dave Festival that had a couple of bands play during a day. Dave could come out between acts and do his Shtick with the audience. Dave would be a great MC.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Seems an opportunity for Dave to possibly reinvent his entertainment scope... shouldn't be much, if any, tethers from Van Halen restricting his options.

One would think Roth doesn't "need" mega-paychecks headlining something on the scale of his recent Van Halen tours or even his Ki$$ openings. Vegas residences could supplement his income nicely I would assume...

Release the John5 record... collaborate with some other artists... pay-per-view internet streaming events... more Roth Shows via the net...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Dave should become the new Godfather of Rock and Roll. I don’t care what people say, kids still love rock!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Dave's recent shows with KISS early last year were much better than he has been in some years.

If all the other heritage acts are still out there - like Paul Stanley who croaks his way through songs and with added help (backing tracks) - then Dave can keep going as well.

His set list has more hits and radio staple songs than KISS do anyway. So theres always a market out there to hear those songs.

22. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Never was (01-15-2021)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I would rather hear Roth as is than hear him go the way of vocal tracks and enhancements. I would go see an Eat-em reunion, preferably where they play the entire record but don't know how they would pull off That's Life with the orchestration.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Dave is a legend. He fronted one of the best bands in rock history. He was one of the best frontmen in history. He was a MTV video pioneer who made some of the best music videos when that medium mattered. He had a few great solo albums and the Eat Em and Smile tour was legendary.
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. 100%.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Motley Crue went from steady decline to stadium tour on the back of a straight to TV pretty mediocre movie.

Ozzy was struggling to fill theaters before The Osbournes made Ozzfest viable.

It's up to Dave, if he wants to do it he could do it again but he would need to jump onto the merry go round again.

He would also need to consider cheating with the live performances as well.

I watched a YouTube the other day of Guns N Roses from 2019 and it was ok, I would bet musically and vocally (although lacking the punk danger) the equal of that NYC gig that was on TV way back in the day when Appetite first came out.

Most of the comments underneath were that it was a fucking disgrace, an embarrassment and so on. Axl hasn't aged well but close your eyes and it was an ok perfromance.

I think a lot of people out there are just not used to how actual live rock music sounds stripped of overdubs, 50 backing singers and autotune as the act runs about a stage especially when recorded on a fucking phone...
    I do give Dave props for still actually turning in live vocal performances, regardless of how the results sound to me these days. Authenticity always prevails over various non-live/pre-taped enhancements far as live rock music goes to my ears.

For how uneven his performance on the Tokyo Dome album was (and the 2012 US tour stuff), at the very least one can't say Roth was up there miming.

For seemingly the majority of concertgoers these days, bands/artists lip synching to whatever degree is basically accepted. I can't say as I ever have accepted this new(ish) norm (new'ish' because it has been going on for...quite some time now...much longer than I'd either like to admit or care to know).

I like rock music performed live in the flesh by the musicians onstage, and having only those onstage musicians actually creating the sounds I'm hearing as I'm hearing them.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    08-03-2023 @ 07:22 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Dave should become the new Godfather of Rock and Roll. I don’t care what people say, kids still love rock!
    What the hell is the Godfather of Rock and Roll? Kids do love rock but, present company excluded, that doesn't necessarily mean they want to watch Twitchy Dave with his dystonic grin occasionally hit a note not entirely out of key. There's no merry go round he can jump onto that will turn him into a stadium act, sorry.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heater View Post
    What the hell is the Godfather of Rock and Roll? Kids do love rock but, present company excluded, that doesn't necessarily mean they want to watch Twitchy Dave with his dystonic grin occasionally hit a note not entirely out of key. There's no merry go round he can jump onto that will turn him into a stadium act, sorry.
    I'd tend to think most if not everyone posting on this site knows Dave ain't gonna be headlining stadiums or arenas on the strength of his name alone as a solo act going forward.

I mean, his last headlining arena tour as a solo act was...what...for the ALAE tour? So, literally thirty years ago?

Any large venues he has done since then were either as a solo act with a performing slot among many other bands/groups at a festival, or as an opening act a la Bad Company in 1999 or KISS in 2020, or the Sam and Dave co-headlining tour in 2002 or fronting Van Halen from 2007 through 2015.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Any large venues he has done since then were either as a solo act with a performing slot among many other bands/groups at a festival, or as an opening act a la Bad Company in 1999 or KISS in 2020, or the Sam and Dave co-headlining tour in 2002 or fronting Van Halen from 2007 through 2015.
    Where has the time gone?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heater View Post
    I've asked a few millennials and they tend to think that Dave a AOK and Classic Van Halen was far superior. Some have taste in music, unlike you douchebag...

If getting old negates your legacy, you have a lot of guys out there that must suck because they didn't choke on their vomit or OD...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If you look down the current Spotify list of popular Van Halen songs it's about 80% Roth 20% Hagar.

31. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

1980Invasion (10-05-2021)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    As it should be...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Where has the time gone?
    No kiddin'.

I mean, shit, it's been a quarter century since the 1996 debacle.

25 years.

At least I've put them to good use...spending thousands of hours posting about how Sammy Hagar is mundane...

Ah, well...maybe in the next life I won't fritter my time away.

34. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (01-25-2021)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

And yet... some people are just hearing those 1996 songs for the first time, recently....

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I've asked a few millennials and they tend to think that Dave a AOK and Classic Van Halen was far superior. Some have taste in music, unlike you douchebag...

If getting old negates your legacy, you have a lot of guys out there that must suck because they didn't choke on their vomit or OD...
    Unfortunately, Hagar didn't choke on his vomit or OD. He just made others choke on their vomit...

37. 2 users say thank you to Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Terry (01-24-2021),Von Halen (01-25-2021)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    And yet... some people are just hearing those 1996 songs for the first time, recently....

Well, it isn't too hard to imagine that for a large chunk of people 30 years old or younger their sole exposure to Van Halen would be limited to perhaps hearing the song Jump played at a sporting event.

39. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

FORD (01-24-2021)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Unfortunately, Hagar didn't choke on his vomit or OD. He just made others choke on their vomit...
    You can't really dust for vomit....

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Just like Roth also smokes cigarettes but cancer had to take Eddie instead.....

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Cancer takes people that have seldom done either. They all had their addictions and it is tough to say who did more what and both Dave and Ed caused dust devils of Bolivian Marching Powder in their day. But I think there is little doubt that Ed was the most pickled of all and for the longest...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Cancer takes people that have seldom done either. They all had their addictions and it is tough to say who did more what and both Dave and Ed caused dust devils of Bolivian Marching Powder in their day. But I think there is little doubt that Ed was the most pickled of all and for the longest...
    Based purely on Ed's appearance since 1996 and what amount of info was made public re: Ed's ailments, Ed may well have been bucking the odds living as long as he did, rather than it being a case of him passing too soon.

We'll never know one way or the other, but it could be the case that Ed was lucky to have lived as long as he had, depending on the severity of the cancer he had been battling since 1996 and whatever else was ailing him.

44. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (01-26-2021)

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post

FORD is so woke. The Alyssa Milano of Roth's Army buddies.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Alyssa wasn't so "woke" when she became a Bernie-hating Hillbot.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Why not? I thought Dave sounded great towards the end of his opening for Kiss last year. He blew those clowns away night after night and Al Estrada was really good too, probably the most Edward like of any of Dave's guitar players. What else is there? Dave is the face of Van Halen (like he himself said) from here on out...

48. 2 users say thank you to ELVIS for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (02-07-2021),Terry (02-21-2021)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Good to see you back here, Elbow! Hope the Lord got off your back in the meantime.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Dave was singing quite well after his Vegas opening adjustments.

Can't argue that his cover band was doing a decent job... as a cover/tribute band. With Edward's passing it seems more fitting to call them a tribute band.

The statement of being "the face of Van Halen" when Dave made it, seemed more of the same impatience/friction with what was perceived as lack of willingness to work from the Van Halen clan. In retrospect, knowing that Edward was in his final days of life fighting a terrible disease on his death bad... those words come off as callused and insensitive to gravity of the reality within the Van Halen family at the time.

Of course, with the family and Edward keeping this such a private matter... it is fair to say you can't blame anyone for not knowing.

At the moment... it seems it might be a good time for Dave to pull some of his other work or something new out of his arsenal, if he has a desire to perform or entertain. Let the passing of EVH and his contributions stand on their own for a time down the road when others can happily appreciate them.

I do hope Dave returns to entertaining, which he does best. I've somewhat lost an interest in frog drawings and political/Rambo innuendo...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    I hear ya, Z...

I find myself wondering how much Dave really knew when he said that...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He knew it was terminal I'm sure. I doubt Hagar knew though...

Thread Information