Thread: David Lee Roth's Final Tour Schedule 2021/2022

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

I think Dave will continue to be active - more a semi retirement.

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I'd tend to think not. I don't think Dave would have even made the retirement announcement unless he was serious about the Vegas shows being his last gigs, and I'm assuming his reasons for making those Vegas gigs his last ones are serious: I tend to doubt Dave would pull a KISS at this stage of the game and announce a bullshit retirement series of shows just in order to sell tickets, and after the Vegas shows are over he's gonna keep touring "back by popular demand!"
    Based on Dave's references to Alex... I got the distinct impression that without Edward... the Van Halen chapter is being closed. For whatever motivation that led to Dave choosing to do those few last shows, it's probably just to put an exclamation point on that phase of his life/career, possibly a celebration of his Van Halen legacy and doing it on his own terms.

From there... more frog doodling, cartoons and hopefully something musical...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (10-29-2021)

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-28-2022 @ 12:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Based on Dave's references to Alex... I got the distinct impression that without Edward... the Van Halen chapter is being closed. For whatever motivation that led to Dave choosing to do those few last shows, it's probably just to put an exclamation point on that phase of his life/career, possibly a celebration of his Van Halen legacy and doing it on his own terms.

Common Questions About Frog Mythology
    Who is the God of frogs? The God of frogs is Heket who is represented in Egyptian mythology as a goddess with a frog head and human body. Heket was said to protect women during childbirth and it was believed she brought balance, fertility, and order to the world.

What does seeing a frog mean spiritually? Spiritually, frogs typically symbolize prosperity, good luck, purity, fertility, transformation, potential, renewal, growth, rain, natural cycles, and healing depending on culture and context.

Are frogs a good omen? Frogs are considered good omen in many cultures including Egyptian, Greek, Irish, Chinese, and Japanese cultures. Many cultures believe frogs are a symbol of fertility, prosperity, and transformation.

What do frogs mean biblically? Frogs symbolized fertility for the ancient Egyptians, yet the Frogs Plague is said to have occurred in Ancient Egypt around and is documented in the Bible in Exodus 8:1-4 as the 2nd of 10 plagues.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    That's some interesting mythology... they still taste like chicken though...

6. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (10-30-2021),Terry (10-29-2021)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries

I mean, I can't imagine Dave, Alex or Wolfie going forward would be performing under the moniker 'Van Halen'...sadly but certainly for me, that band died with Eddie...and I can't see Dave, Alex or Wolfie having the heart to try and continue under the Van Halen band name without Eddie, irrespective of if they could do so and have a degree of success with it. I'd certainly agree that Dave was THE voice of Van Halen - the only voice of the band that mattered to me - and I'd like to think as you surmise that those last few shows are just Dave's way of putting that voice and those songs to rest far as a live setting goes.

Beyond the Vegas gigs, my ears would certainly welcome hearing what Dave has and would come up with far as studio stuff. At this stage of the game, I personally wouldn't want to see Dave try and continue fronting rock combos essaying the CVH material, or try and reconvene the EEAS lineup...I just don't think Dave has much of anything left in the tank to do either of those scenarios justice, and that's strictly because Dave...he just got old, you know? It happens.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    That's some interesting mythology... they still taste like chicken though...

Yummy! I love frog legs. The best I ever had were in Florida. The second best were in France.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Frog legs and a shake (?)

10. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

paltrowitz (12-13-2021)

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I suppose the "Unless It Isn't" (a tagline second to Hell Freezes Over) leaves it open ended
    but unless the venue prohibits it, why not pro shoot the "last" show(s) and release 'em for
    folks who miss their "last chance" to see him live?
    I'm still a little bitter about the cancelled Darien Lake Sam & Dave show back in 2002 (found
    out about it 10 minutes from the venue - grrrr emoji) but I would probably watch a final gig
    show if it was made available.

Y'know, just because...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    I'm still a little bitter about the cancelled Darien Lake Sam & Dave show back in 2002 (found
    out about it 10 minutes from the venue - grrrr emoji)
    We made it to Erie before Von called and said there's no show.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    I suppose the "Unless It Isn't" (a tagline second to Hell Freezes Over) leaves it open ended
    but unless the venue prohibits it, why not pro shoot the "last" show(s) and release 'em for
    folks who miss their "last chance" to see him live?
    out about it 10 minutes from the venue - grrrr emoji) but I would probably watch a final gig
    show if it was made available.

Y'know, just because...
    I'd say it'd be a proposition to perhaps shoot the shows and upload them to Dave's site, and then either display them for free or for a small fee...

I mean, the reality is that at least one audience member is going to film the show(s) on their phone and upload it to youtube for free, and given the choice between viewing it on youtube for free - as shitty as the sound on smartphone audio is vs. professionally mixed - or paying money for an official release, another reality is that people are fine with viewing it on youtube.

The days when Dave was going to proshoot a solo show and sell an amount of copies making the production of a live video worthwhile are long, long gone.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Four dates added

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I think Dave will continue to be active - more a semi retirement.
    That'll will prove to be rather difficult from the grave.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    01-06-2022 @ 01:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I saw that Dec 31 and Jan 1 shows were cancelled due to COVID. I have tix for Jan 5. I’m flying out from the east coast. I hope the show goes on on the 5th…
    Last edited by mattynew; 12-31-2021 at 07:56 AM.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It's a shame for the fans that these shows were cancelled with such short notice...

Given the explosion of new Covid cases, the outlook for the next few shows doesn't look promising.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's not like there isn't anything else to do in Vegas. But yeah, short notice sucks. Happened to us for Buffalo in '02.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Over at Links they're reporting that somebody in Dave's band had Covid and that's why they had to cancel the shows. If that's the case, the rest of them ain't looking likely either.

On the other hand, if it's a bass player or a drummer who's down, I can think of a worthy replacement....

I wasn't going to Vegas anyway, but I feel for the folks who have already made the trip and now they won't even get to see the show. Will they be rescheduled? who the fuck knows.

Sgt. Swindle
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-07-2022 @ 12:34 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Over at Links they're reporting that somebody in Dave's band had Covid and that's why they had to cancel the shows. If that's the case, the rest of them ain't looking likely either.

On the other hand, if it's a bass player or a drummer who's down, I can think of a worthy replacement....

I wasn't going to Vegas anyway, but I feel for the folks who have already made the trip and now they won't even get to see the show. Will they be rescheduled? who the fuck knows.

I'm going Wednesday. Fingers crossed. Flying in from TX.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Me too am going to Wed show.

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2022 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,468 Posts

Dave will never EVER perform live again.

I don’t even think he’s be alive by the end of next year.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WARF View Post

Who knows. I think Dave still smokes. That habit tends to rear it’s ugly head in your 60’s. I love cigars but gave them up a few years ago. That retirement announcement was a little weird but I know Dave has had several back surgeries. The doctors could be telling Dave to take it easy for those reasons. The young Diamond Dave was as high powered as you can get. You can’t do it to those extremes in your 60’s. That’s the reality. A more traditional musician like Paul McCartney can keep it going into the golden years but Van Halen wasn’t a stand at the microphone and sing type band; especially Dave’s end of it.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsbane View Post
    Me too am going to Wed show.
    Dave and VH never cancelled shows unless there was no option. So I’m sure everything is being done to make it happen.

25. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

speedtruckermf (12-31-2021)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Oh now, now WARF... don't come in here blowin sunshine up everyone's ass... LOL

My favorite song off ADKOT is That's the Trouble with Never... When you turn on your stereo, does it return the favor..?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

With the upcoming Vegas shows, there seemed to be a long-enough string of them where - as of this moment, anyway - it seems likely some of the later scheduled dates will be fulfilled.

As to beyond, who knows? Roth looked pretty dreadful to me on that last appearance on Rogan's show this past June in terms of his general physical appearance. A few months after that, he announces his retirement, and it may or may not be telling that the last string of dates is a residency at a single venue and from what I can tell there are no meet-and-greets even with the deluxe ticket packages that run upward of $700 per ticket...although that could just be covid precautions.

He could well have just had a bunch of health issues that aren't necessarily terminal sort of catch up with him over the last couple years. I suppose he could be facing something far more serious medically. The net effect of whatever is ailing him is that he has determined his performing career is drawing to a close. Hopefully those who are seeing him in Vegas in the next 4 weeks will get as good a show as Roth is still capable of delivering at this point and have a good time.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

With the upcoming Vegas shows, there seemed to be a long-enough string of them where - as of this moment, anyway - it seems likely some of the later scheduled dates will be fulfilled.

As to beyond, who knows? Roth looked pretty dreadful to me on that last appearance on Rogan's show this past June in terms of his general physical appearance. A few months after that, he announces his retirement, and it may or may not be telling that the last string of dates is a residency at a single venue and from what I can tell there are no meet-and-greets even with the deluxe ticket packages that run upward of $700 per ticket...although that could just be covid precautions.

He could well have just had a bunch of health issues that aren't necessarily terminal sort of catch up with him over the last couple years. I suppose he could be facing something far more serious medically. The net effect of whatever is ailing him is that he has determined his performing career is drawing to a close. Hopefully those who are seeing him in Vegas in the next 4 weeks will get as good a show as Roth is still capable of delivering at this point and have a good time.

What I learned in the last few years is what little effort Dave put into things over the years. I always thought he worked his ass off. Seems he is a much more brilliant artist than what I thought, With apparently very little effort, he has an amazing career.

Anyway, If he ever worked out before, it does not appear that he is currently working out.

Seems that he spends his days smoking "The shit that killed Elvis."

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsbane View Post
    What I learned in the last few years is what little effort Dave put into things over the years. I always thought he worked his ass off. Seems he is a much more brilliant artist than what I thought, With apparently very little effort, he has an amazing career.

Anyway, If he ever worked out before, it does not appear that he is currently working out.

Seems that he spends his days smoking "The shit that killed Elvis."
    I'd tend to disagree with some of that.

Roth put a great deal of preparation into the rehearsals and run-up to the 2007-2008 tour. It was easily evident onstage, especially to those who had seen his solo shows in 2005 and 2006: Dave had upped his performance game, and in a big way (not just some minor tweaks).

Some of what you said I would agree with. The Vegas shows in early 2020 and the KISS opening slot in early 2020 come to mind: the band were well-rehearsed, to be sure. Dave didn't seem particularly rehearsed...or enthused...sort of going through the motions.

The 2003 Diamond Dave cd - his last, full-length solo studio release - seemed like a slapdash effort.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Dave is 67. Age is great for wine. Not so much for high energy rock stars.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Just saw in USA Today that the January 5th show will go on as planned (according to Dave’s spokesperson).

32. Thanked mattynew for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (01-02-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    A coffee enema, a kale smoothy and a couple of blowjobs must have cured Dave of what was weighing him down.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    A coffee enema, a kale smoothy and a couple of blowjobs must have cured Dave of what was weighing him down.
    "Hey, I'm gonna take 3 Viagra and in anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours I'm gonna try and fuck your girlfriend, pal!"

"I literally forgot the fucking words!"

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ALL of Dave's shows were just cancelled. UGH!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

I'd tend to disagree with some of that.

Roth put a great deal of preparation into the rehearsals and run-up to the 2007-2008 tour. It was easily evident onstage, especially to those who had seen his solo shows in 2005 and 2006: Dave had upped his performance game, and in a big way (not just some minor tweaks).
    Yeah exactly he did put in the hours for that first reunion tour for the first time in 20 years and it showed, he carried a band with a child bass player and drunk guitarist.

By the end of VH he had returned to type,

There is every chance that his plan would be to play these last shows without ever singing with the new band until he went on stage, the Roth of his autobiography on his hands and knees checking the stage may have existed at one point but not this century.

Right Here, I Say
    Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 09:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Really not surprised that the shows were cancelled. I figured maybe they'd have canceled last week, not last minute.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

VHND received a text from Dave that said "we got rained out"

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    VHND received a text from Dave that said "we got rained out"
    Funny. Other acts that play Vegas seem to show up and play. Mr. Roth seems to have a problem.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    This week’s forecast for Vegas is sunny. What gives Dave? You really are your own worst enemy.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    "Hey, I'm gonna take 3 Viagra and in anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours I'm gonna try and fuck your girlfriend, pal!"

"I literally forgot the fucking words!"
    No excuse. Our current president has those issues and that doesn’t stop him from showing up.

44. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (01-04-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Yeah exactly he did put in the hours for that first reunion tour for the first time in 20 years and it showed, he carried a band with a child bass player and drunk guitarist.

By the end of VH he had returned to type,

There is every chance that his plan would be to play these last shows without ever singing with the new band until he went on stage, the Roth of his autobiography on his hands and knees checking the stage may have existed at one point but not this century.
    Roth carried the 2008 show I saw in Tampa. No doubt about that. I could barely hear anything Wolfie was playing or singing (and those background vocals were piped in...I'm sure of that), and Ed was okay for the first 6 songs - not great, but ok - but he went straight downhill after that. While it came out after the tour that he was having problems with his hands which necessitated surgery, Ed just plain looked drunk.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Really not surprised that the shows were cancelled. I figured maybe they'd have canceled last week, not last minute.

Once the first two were cancelled, I put it at 50/50 that at least some (if not all) the rest would be. Which sucks for those travelling there to see it.

Thread Information