Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vinnie Velvet
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Dave's recent shows with KISS early last year were much better than he has been in some years.

If all the other heritage acts are still out there - like Paul Stanley who croaks his way through songs and with added help (backing tracks) - then Dave can keep going as well.

His set list has more hits and radio staple songs than KISS do anyway. So theres always a market out there to hear those songs.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
      Veteran
      • Jun 2005

I would rather hear Roth as is than hear him go the way of vocal tracks and enhancements. I would go see an Eat-em reunion, preferably where they play the entire record but don't know how they would pull off That's Life with the orchestration.
      RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
      LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
        Dave is a legend. He fronted one of the best bands in rock history. He was one of the best frontmen in history. He was a MTV video pioneer who made some of the best music videos when that medium mattered. He had a few great solo albums and the Eat Em and Smile tour was legendary.
        Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. 100%.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          Motley Crue went from steady decline to stadium tour on the back of a straight to TV pretty mediocre movie.

Ozzy was struggling to fill theaters before The Osbournes made Ozzfest viable.

It's up to Dave, if he wants to do it he could do it again but he would need to jump onto the merry go round again.

He would also need to consider cheating with the live performances as well.

I watched a YouTube the other day of Guns N Roses from 2019 and it was ok, I would bet musically and vocally (although lacking the punk danger) the equal of that NYC gig that was on TV way back in the day when Appetite first came out.

Most of the comments underneath were that it was a fucking disgrace, an embarrassment and so on. Axl hasn't aged well but close your eyes and it was an ok perfromance.

I think a lot of people out there are just not used to how actual live rock music sounds stripped of overdubs, 50 backing singers and autotune as the act runs about a stage especially when recorded on a fucking phone...
          I do give Dave props for still actually turning in live vocal performances, regardless of how the results sound to me these days. Authenticity always prevails over various non-live/pre-taped enhancements far as live rock music goes to my ears.

For how uneven his performance on the Tokyo Dome album was (and the 2012 US tour stuff), at the very least one can't say Roth was up there miming.

For seemingly the majority of concertgoers these days, bands/artists lip synching to whatever degree is basically accepted. I can't say as I ever have accepted this new(ish) norm (new'ish' because it has been going on for...quite some time now...much longer than I'd either like to admit or care to know).

I like rock music performed live in the flesh by the musicians onstage, and having only those onstage musicians actually creating the sounds I'm hearing as I'm hearing them.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Heater
            Foot Soldier
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            Dave should become the new Godfather of Rock and Roll. I don’t care what people say, kids still love rock!
            What the hell is the Godfather of Rock and Roll? Kids do love rock but, present company excluded, that doesn't necessarily mean they want to watch Twitchy Dave with his dystonic grin occasionally hit a note not entirely out of key. There's no merry go round he can jump onto that will turn him into a stadium act, sorry.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Heater
              What the hell is the Godfather of Rock and Roll? Kids do love rock but, present company excluded, that doesn't necessarily mean they want to watch Twitchy Dave with his dystonic grin occasionally hit a note not entirely out of key. There's no merry go round he can jump onto that will turn him into a stadium act, sorry.
              I'd tend to think most if not everyone posting on this site knows Dave ain't gonna be headlining stadiums or arenas on the strength of his name alone as a solo act going forward.

I mean, his last headlining arena tour as a solo act was...what...for the ALAE tour? So, literally thirty years ago?

Any large venues he has done since then were either as a solo act with a performing slot among many other bands/groups at a festival, or as an opening act a la Bad Company in 1999 or KISS in 2020, or the Sam and Dave co-headlining tour in 2002 or fronting Van Halen from 2007 through 2015.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Von Halen
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Terry

Any large venues he has done since then were either as a solo act with a performing slot among many other bands/groups at a festival, or as an opening act a la Bad Company in 1999 or KISS in 2020, or the Sam and Dave co-headlining tour in 2002 or fronting Van Halen from 2007 through 2015.
                Where has the time gone?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Heater
                  I've asked a few millennials and they tend to think that Dave a AOK and Classic Van Halen was far superior. Some have taste in music, unlike you douchebag...

If getting old negates your legacy, you have a lot of guys out there that must suck because they didn't choke on their vomit or OD...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

If you look down the current Spotify list of popular Van Halen songs it's about 80% Roth 20% Hagar.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

As it should be...
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                        Where has the time gone?
                        No kiddin'.

I mean, shit, it's been a quarter century since the 1996 debacle.

25 years.

At least I've put them to good use...spending thousands of hours posting about how Sammy Hagar is mundane...

Ah, well...maybe in the next life I won't fritter my time away.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

And yet... some people are just hearing those 1996 songs for the first time, recently....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                            I've asked a few millennials and they tend to think that Dave a AOK and Classic Van Halen was far superior. Some have taste in music, unlike you douchebag...

If getting old negates your legacy, you have a lot of guys out there that must suck because they didn't choke on their vomit or OD...
                            Unfortunately, Hagar didn't choke on his vomit or OD. He just made others choke on their vomit...

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                              And yet... some people are just hearing those 1996 songs for the first time, recently....

Well, it isn't too hard to imagine that for a large chunk of people 30 years old or younger their sole exposure to Van Halen would be limited to perhaps hearing the song Jump played at a sporting event.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
                                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                                Unfortunately, Hagar didn't choke on his vomit or OD. He just made others choke on their vomit...
                                You can't really dust for vomit....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...