X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heater
    Foot Soldier
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    Unfortunately, Hagar didn't choke on his vomit or OD. He just made others choke on their vomit...
    Just like Roth also smokes cigarettes but cancer had to take Eddie instead.....

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Cancer takes people that have seldom done either. They all had their addictions and it is tough to say who did more what and both Dave and Ed caused dust devils of Bolivian Marching Powder in their day. But I think there is little doubt that Ed was the most pickled of all and for the longest...

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
        Cancer takes people that have seldom done either. They all had their addictions and it is tough to say who did more what and both Dave and Ed caused dust devils of Bolivian Marching Powder in their day. But I think there is little doubt that Ed was the most pickled of all and for the longest...
        Based purely on Ed's appearance since 1996 and what amount of info was made public re: Ed's ailments, Ed may well have been bucking the odds living as long as he did, rather than it being a case of him passing too soon.

We'll never know one way or the other, but it could be the case that Ed was lucky to have lived as long as he had, depending on the severity of the cancer he had been battling since 1996 and whatever else was ailing him.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Heater
          Foot Soldier
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by FORD
          And yet... some people are just hearing those 1996 songs for the first time, recently....

FORD is so woke. The Alyssa Milano of Roth's Army buddies.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Alyssa wasn't so "woke" when she became a Bernie-hating Hillbot.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Terry
              Can't honestly say I have much...any, really...interest in seeing Dave fronting a traditional rock-combo band setup playing a setlist heavy on CVH material anymore.
              Why not? I thought Dave sounded great towards the end of his opening for Kiss last year. He blew those clowns away night after night and Al Estrada was really good too, probably the most Edward like of any of Dave's guitar players. What else is there? Dave is the face of Van Halen (like he himself said) from here on out...

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Nov 2004

Good to see you back here, Elbow! Hope the Lord got off your back in the meantime.
                posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Dave was singing quite well after his Vegas opening adjustments.

Can't argue that his cover band was doing a decent job... as a cover/tribute band. With Edward's passing it seems more fitting to call them a tribute band.

The statement of being "the face of Van Halen" when Dave made it, seemed more of the same impatience/friction with what was perceived as lack of willingness to work from the Van Halen clan. In retrospect, knowing that Edward was in his final days of life fighting a terrible disease on his death bad... those words come off as callused and insensitive to gravity of the reality within the Van Halen family at the time.

Of course, with the family and Edward keeping this such a private matter... it is fair to say you can't blame anyone for not knowing.

At the moment... it seems it might be a good time for Dave to pull some of his other work or something new out of his arsenal, if he has a desire to perform or entertain. Let the passing of EVH and his contributions stand on their own for a time down the road when others can happily appreciate them.

I do hope Dave returns to entertaining, which he does best. I've somewhat lost an interest in frog drawings and political/Rambo innuendo...
                  "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

I hear ya, Z...

I find myself wondering how much Dave really knew when he said that...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

He knew it was terminal I'm sure. I doubt Hagar knew though...

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

I'm not so sure about that...

Dave said on The Roth Show (and I'm paraphrasing) that he heard the same things that we had heard...

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                          Why not? I thought Dave sounded great towards the end of his opening for Kiss last year. He blew those clowns away night after night and Al Estrada was really good too, probably the most Edward like of any of Dave's guitar players. What else is there? Dave is the face of Van Halen (like he himself said) from here on out...
                          It's just a totally subjective thing.

For me, back as far as 2012, Dave just wasn't cutting it for me live anymore in terms of fronting the Van Halen material, and since 2012 he has sounded progressively worse. That may well not be what others are hearing, re: subjective. It's not my place to say that others are incorrect in what they're hearing, the flip-side of that coin being that what I'm hearing isn't gonna be changed by what others are hearing. And taking in the allowances for age, the passing of Ed and the fact that Dave is (at least) still actually singing live rather than miming to pre-recorded tapes...none of that makes the result sound any better to me, regardless of how competent Dave's live backing group is on an instrumental level.

Dave IS the face AND the voice of Van Halen. Agreed 100%. What else is there? With the passing of Ed, Dave is the last man standing in terms of carrying CVH forward in terms of live appearances. However, even of Dave's vocal approach sounded passable to me...between the multiple solo appearances I've seen since 1999 and the 2 Van Halen Mach 4 shows I saw...I've had my fill of The Classic Van Halen Experience Featuring David Lee Roth: I got out of all those shows what I wanted to get out of them in terms of hearing the CVH material live again. EVen if had, say, the CVH lineup managed to reunite for the proposed tour in 2019, it's doubtful I would have been willing to shell out what would have doubtless been premium prices to see that reunion at that point, as excited as I was over that prospect in 1996.

I DO like what I've heard in terms of the solo studio stuff of Dave's that has made it on to the interwebs over the last half decade. I'd like to hear more of that, for fucking sure. Dave live in 2021 and beyond, singing CVH's greatest hits and coming up short? Nope.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I got the impression Dave knew things serious enough to prevent touring/performing were happening... that may have just come through management channels without any personal details disclosed.

Based on the responses Wolfgang has provided... it doesn't appear David was in any way in touch within the family circle dealing with Edward's final months on earth.

As E mentioned... he learned of all this as we did.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

KI$$ were doing a complete Milli Vanilli so shouldn't be compared to Dave.

Also the miming done by those acts contributes to the criticism people actually performing live are getting.

Ok sorry I'm sounding like a broken record on this now...

Comment

• ZahZoo
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                                KI$$ were doing a complete Milli Vanilli so shouldn't be compared to Dave.

Also the miming done by those acts contributes to the criticism people actually performing live are getting.

Ok sorry I'm sounding like a broken record on this now...
                                Hey... appreciate that fact you're old enough to have experienced a "broken record" in real life.

Several years ago I was going through a box of my old albums from the 70's/80's and fixed my turntable and gave a few a spin. It's amazing the memories that flowed back and the pops, hisses and a skip you've heard hundreds of times 30-40 years ago were just a familiar as the song playing...

Comment

Working...