ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

FX Orders Series Based on Sex Pistols Guitarist Steve Jones

LOS ANGELES and LONDON, January 11, 2021 – FX has ordered Pistol, a six-episode limited series about the legendary Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones, it was announced today by Nick Grad, President, Original Programming, FX Entertainment.

Based on Jones’ 2018 memoir Lonely Boy: Tales from a Sex Pistol, the series from Academy Award(R)-winner Danny Boyle, who will also serve as Executive Producer and director, was created by Craig Pearce and written by Pearce and Frank Cottrell Boyce.

Jones, Boyle and Pearce serve as Executive Producers alongside Gail Lyon, Anita Camarata, Tracey Seaward, Paul Lee, Hope Hartman and wiip. Boyle is represented by WME and Sue Rogers of Independent. The series is produced by FX Productions and is set to begin production on March 7.

“It’s great to be back in business with Danny Boyle, an exceptional artist responsible for so many great feature films and TV series,” said Grad. “Steve Jones was at the center of the storm that shook the rock establishment and we’re thrilled to have Danny and the rest of the creative team tell his story as a member of one of music’s most notorious bands – the Sex Pistols.”

“Imagine breaking into the world of The Crown and Downton Abbey with your mates and screaming your songs and your fury at all they represent,” said Boyle. “This is the moment that British society and culture changed forever. It is the detonation point for British street culture…where ordinary young people had the stage and vented their fury and their fashion… and everyone had to watch & listen… and everyone feared them or followed them. The Sex Pistols. At its center was a young charming illiterate kleptomaniac – a hero for the times – Steve Jones, who became in his own words, the 94th greatest guitarist of all time. This is how he got there.”

“The Sex Pistols changed music forever and Danny Boyle is the perfect director to tell Steve Jones’ story fueled by raw creativity and destruction,” said Paul Lee, CEO wiip. “We’re thrilled to be making this with our friends at FX.

Anchored by Jones’ memoir, which offers a fascinating new perspective on one of rock’s greatest ever stories, Pistol moves from West London’s council estates, to Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren’s notorious Kings Road SEX shop, to the international controversy that came with the release of Never Mind the Bollocks, which is frequently listed as one of the most influential albums of all time. Their single “God Save the Queen” was banned by the BBC and reached Number 1 on the UK’s NME chart, but appeared at Number 2 on the Official UK Singles chart, leading to accusations that the song was purposely kept off the top spot. For the only time in chart history, the track was listed as a blank, to avoid offence to the monarchy.

Pistol stars Toby Wallace (Babyteeth, Acute Misfortune) as Steve Jones, Anson Boon (Crawl, 1917, Blackbird) as John Lydon, Louis Partridge (Enola Homes, Medici) as Sid Vicious, Jacob Slater as Paul Cook, Fabien Frankel (The Serpent, NYPD Blue) as Glen Matlock, Dylan Llewellyn (Derry Girls) as Wally Nightingale, Sydney Chandler (Don’t Worry Darling) as Chrissie Hynde, Emma Appleton (The Witcher, Traitors) as Nancy Spungen, and Maisie Williams (Game of Thrones) as punk icon Jordan.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Last edited by Seshmeister; 01-13-2021 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Broken link

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

I find a lot of the Sex Pistols thing kind of annoying Spice Girls with spitting and Sid Vicious was a prick but the people involved in making this means that it will almost definitely be good.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sid might have been less of a prick if they had managed to get him away from Nancy & heroin. Hell, he could actually play the bass when he wasn't smacked up.....

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This soundcheck from the Pistols Winterland show in SF (last of the 78 US tour) is more proof that Sid could actually play when he wasn't riding the "horse". Even when Rotten yells at the soundman to "turn Sid down", he was referring to the backing vocals being too loud in the mix. At one point Sid even leads off a Ramones song. Jones & Cook join in.... Rotten is not pleased - he never liked the Ramones!

Compare this with Sid's wasted sloppy playing at the actual gig later that night.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Jones & Rotten radio from 2006. Talking about the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, and of course the "good old days"....

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

I keep thinking of this skit while reading this thread...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fred Armisen is a "punk" in the same sense that Sammy Hagar is a "lyricist".

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The difference is that Fred is in on the joke...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post

I never realized until now that Grundy was a bit drunk and usually was.

Not that he was ever on my radar but I'd seen the clip a few times before but without the context.

I was only a kid at the time but it was a really huge fucking deal for that to happen on TV back in those days.

Then again this is over 25 years before the distant brief image of a human nipple at the Super Bowl nearly ended the fucking world as we know it...
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 01-15-2021 at 08:41 PM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So this thing popped up on Hulu this past week. Apparently it's not airing on the FX cable channel, though that was the original plan. Probably wouldn't cut language and one or two sexual scenes that might be a bit much for cable.

My impressions so far....

The Steve Jones character looks nothing like Steve Jones. He actually looks more like the kid with the speech impediment on "Stranger Things" (which I'm also watching this week)
    The Johnny Rotten character sings nothing like the real Johnny. Seriously, they should have asked me to dub the voice. I could pull it off.

Musically.... well, let's just say they're treating the timeline of the band's music about as accurately as Queen's music was treated in Bohemian Rhapsody. For example, they have the band writing "Bodies" just shortly after "Anarchy" in early 1976... which is a total crock of shit. "Bodies" was literally the last song they wrote for "Never Mind The Bollocks" and they definitely never played it with Glenn Matlock until the 1996 reunion tour.

Biggest surprise for me so far is the Chrissie Hynde character. I was aware that she knew the Pistols back in the day, and even that she attempted to teach Rotten how to play guitar at one point (unsuccessfully) but I wasn't aware that she had worked in McLaren's shop, that she had a "friends with benefits" thing going with Jones, and that they almost got a "green card" marriage so she could stay in England, but Steve chickened out at the last minute. (Rotten then "proposed" to her, but she didn't marry him either, but instead went with the douchebag "journalist" and Keef- wannabe, Nick Kent)

The way the musical process has been inaccurately portrayed.... I'm guessing this is the root of John Lydon's opposition to the entire process. He described the series as "disrespectful".

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Why anybody would feel the need to watch a dramatized re-enactment of The Sex Pistols story, when you have plenty of documentary footage of the real people involved, I mean...between The Filth And The Fury, The Great Rock And Roll Swindle, the full concert at Winterland in 1978 on youtube for free, John Lydon's No Blacks No Irish No Dogs book, footage of the band at the Longhorn in 1978, countless interviews of the band circa 1976-1978 for free on youtube, a full length documentary on the making of Never Mind The Bollocks with all the band members participating...

Why would anybody want to watch a bunch of actors miming? It's the same thing when that Bohemian Rhapsody movie came out: there's PLENTY of footage of THE REAL PEOPLE both performing AND talking about the behind-the-scenes stuff.

And, as Ford says, these docudrama reenactments always condense facts for dramatic purposes and thereby get the story wrong anyway, so why fucking bother?

And this shit with the Pistols was going on as far back as the Sid And Nancy movie, where while I will say Gary Oldman make a herculean effort none of the other Sex Pistols actors looked like the real people, and even with Gary Oldman and Chloe Webb as far as the people who actually knew Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen they all more or less say that Oldman and Webb basically turned in an overblown caricature of what Vicious and Spungen were like, but with the Sid And Nancy movie Vicious and Spungen come off as nothing more than a couple of loud-mouthed, unintelligent yobs. A cursory search of Vicious and Spungen re: archival footage will reveal interviews that demonstrate both of them were in reality far more intelligent in terms of sheer intellect than the generalized media portrayal of them was.

I dunno. People prefer the myths, I suppose.

15. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (06-06-2022),Nitro Express (06-07-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    It’s like seeing a re-enactment of Jimi Hendrix or Janis Joplin. Just read Noel Monk’s book. He road managed the Sex Pistols before he road managed Van Halen.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    So this thing popped up on Hulu this past week. Apparently it's not airing on the FX cable channel, though that was the original plan. Probably wouldn't cut language and one or two sexual scenes that might be a bit much for cable.

My impressions so far....

The Steve Jones character looks nothing like Steve Jones. He actually looks more like the kid with the speech impediment on "Stranger Things" (which I'm also watching this week)
    The Johnny Rotten character sings nothing like the real Johnny. Seriously, they should have asked me to dub the voice. I could pull it off.

Musically.... well, let's just say they're treating the timeline of the band's music about as accurately as Queen's music was treated in Bohemian Rhapsody. For example, they have the band writing "Bodies" just shortly after "Anarchy" in early 1976... which is a total crock of shit. "Bodies" was literally the last song they wrote for "Never Mind The Bollocks" and they definitely never played it with Glenn Matlock until the 1996 reunion tour.

Biggest surprise for me so far is the Chrissie Hynde character. I was aware that she knew the Pistols back in the day, and even that she attempted to teach Rotten how to play guitar at one point (unsuccessfully) but I wasn't aware that she had worked in McLaren's shop, that she had a "friends with benefits" thing going with Jones, and that they almost got a "green card" marriage so she could stay in England, but Steve chickened out at the last minute. (Rotten then "proposed" to her, but she didn't marry him either, but instead went with the douchebag "journalist" and Keef- wannabe, Nick Kent)

The way the musical process has been inaccurately portrayed.... I'm guessing this is the root of John Lydon's opposition to the entire process. He described the series as "disrespectful".

McLaren was a piece of work. Basically a thief. At least he didn’t become a minister or a politician. He just ripped off young punks.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    This soundcheck from the Pistols Winterland show in SF (last of the 78 US tour) is more proof that Sid could actually play when he wasn't riding the "horse". Even when Rotten yells at the soundman to "turn Sid down", he was referring to the backing vocals being too loud in the mix. At one point Sid even leads off a Ramones song. Jones & Cook join in.... Rotten is not pleased - he never liked the Ramones!

Compare this with Sid's wasted sloppy playing at the actual gig later that night.
    The Ramones were one of the first punk bands. Never got the credit for it. But punk wasn’t popular here until it became big in the UK and they brought their version of it here.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Sid might have been less of a prick if they had managed to get him away from Nancy & heroin. Hell, he could actually play the bass when he wasn't smacked up.....

One impression Lydon has consistently proffered since the 1980s was that Sid wasn't unintelligent at all, but once Sid hooked up with Nancy and started doing heroin [Sid] became, in Lydon's words, "the worst kind of rock and roll idiot anybody could have a nightmare about." Essentially, Sid began believing the bullshit rock star myths the press were printing about him...Vicious began buying into his own bullshit hype. By the time Spungen died, apparently Vicious was so out of it he couldn't even say for sure if he had stabbed her or exactly WHAT had happened.

But Vicious COULD play the bass. In a very rudimentary way, but nonetheless he could play it...you still get people saying "oh, they always unplugged Sid's bass when they played live...he couldn't play a note"...neither of which were true. Or that Vicious was 100% this clueless, illiterate goon, which wasn't true, either.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

There actually were some occasions on stage where Steve would unplug Sid's bass or turn down his amp because he was playing especially bad that night. Eventually Sid started retaliating and unplugging Steve's guitar. Some of this can be heard in the Winterland concert from January 1978, though McLaren probably encouraged all this bullshit, so he could keep the "chaos" going.

But without Nancy & Heroin... and probably without McLaren, The Pistols probably would have made at least a few more records & Sid might have survived.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    There actually were some occasions on stage where Steve would unplug Sid's bass or turn down his amp because he was playing especially bad that night. Eventually Sid started retaliating and unplugging Steve's guitar. Some of this can be heard in the Winterland concert from January 1978, though McLaren probably encouraged all this bullshit, so he could keep the "chaos" going.

But without Nancy & Heroin... and probably without McLaren, The Pistols probably would have made at least a few more records & Sid might have survived.
    I don't doubt there were some occasions that Steve had Sid's bass unplugged or turned down/off.

What that morphed into for some via the myth-making surrounding the legend of the Pistols is a belief that Sid couldn't play a note and was always unplugged or turned off.

As to the "what if's" and what might have happened had x,y and z not happened, one will never know.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

People either want to see exceptional talent or a freak show. The Sex Pistols were a freak show. So the trick is to stick stuff up the cat’s ass without killing the cat.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

25. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

FORD (06-12-2022)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They definitely shouldn't have harassed Johnny at home. His wife Nora isn't doing too well, she's got Alzheimers, if I remember correctly, so it had to be frightening as Hell for her to have a mob hanging around her house.

Mr. & Mrs Rotten have been together since about the same time he started PiL, so that's a pretty good run for a "celebrity" marriage. And she was well into her 30s when she met Johnny, who was barely out of his teens at the time. Doubt if anybody at the time thought the relationship would last long term.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    A 70’s shock gimmick that people amazingly talk about in 2022. To me they were just a bunch of punks brought to the public by a slimeball who ended up with all the money the gimmick generated.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thread Information