Super Bowl LV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I thought tourism was quite important to the economy of Florida? 7500 new cases a day?

No fucking way is any sane foreign tourist going to be visiting any time soon judging by that clip...
    Sane tourists, either foreign or domestic, probably wouldn't want to make Florida their destination spot re: covid.

The reality? There are plenty of tourists, both foreign and domestic, who are coming here to vacation/party precisely because our state approach to covid in terms of restrictions is so lax compared to other parts of the country.

Granted, as much as Florida needs the tourist dollars, I'm not one who thinks our state should have approached the virus measures in such a half-assed/day-late-dollar-short manner as we have since March of last year.

However, the flip side of the coin is my own lack of amazement at how many non-sane tourists, both foreign and domestic, are coming into the state: plenty of fundamentally foolish people out there the world over who figure "Fuck it, Florida is open, I'm going."

Last time I checked, in terms of macro-humanity, non-US residents hardly have a monopoly on wisdom despite it seeming that way at times. Not getting all "USA!USA!USA!" about it (I don't think America has a monopoly on wisdom, either): doubtless America has more than a few flaws...as does, you know, everywhere else. Just part of being human, in that we learn from our mistakes, sometimes only learning enough to repeat them perfectly time and time again.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickdfresh View Post
      My, the evident lack of penis or any other erogenous organ, and over abundance of cats, has really made you a bitter hag. Still drive that Lexus, grandma? Oh wait, you'd actually have people that want to touch you to be a grandma....
      It's an Infinity, chucklenuts.

Still freezing at the bus stop?

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
        Sane tourists, either foreign or domestic, probably wouldn't want to make Florida their destination spot re: covid.

The reality? There are plenty of tourists, both foreign and domestic, who are coming here to vacation/party precisely because our state approach to covid in terms of restrictions is so lax compared to other parts of the country.

Granted, as much as Florida needs the tourist dollars, I'm not one who thinks our state should have approached the virus measures in such a half-assed/day-late-dollar-short manner as we have since March of last year.

However, the flip side of the coin is my own lack of amazement at how many non-sane tourists, both foreign and domestic, are coming into the state: plenty of fundamentally foolish people out there the world over who figure "Fuck it, Florida is open, I'm going."

Last time I checked, in terms of macro-humanity, non-US residents hardly have a monopoly on wisdom despite it seeming that way at times. Not getting all "USA!USA!USA!" about it (I don't think America has a monopoly on wisdom, either): doubtless America has more than a few flaws...as does, you know, everywhere else. Just part of being human, in that we learn from our mistakes, sometimes only learning enough to repeat them perfectly time and time again.
        Hopefully it all works out, as I said elsewhere I've been all over Florida from gulf to Orlando to Tampa to the Keys and despite some of the crazy people and stupid shit I have a real soft spot for the place which is why I was annoyed that I won't be able to come back for at least a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshmeister View Post
          Hopefully it all works out, as I said elsewhere I've been all over Florida from gulf to Orlando to Tampa to the Keys and despite some of the crazy people and stupid shit I have a real soft spot for the place which is why I was annoyed that I won't be able to come back for at least a while.

I didn't move to Florida until 2000, when I was thirty years old...long before the phrase "Florida Man" started popping up.

Having been born and raised primarily in the Northeastern part of the United States, I can readily assure people of what they doubtless already know, in that there are crazy/stupid people doing crazy/stupid shit everywhere.

Unlike a lot of other states in the US, Florida is one where about 2/3rds of the residents were born outside the state. Over the last decade, Florida's population increased by roughly 15%. So, for all the flak the state gets, it doesn't stop people from resettling here. It'd be interesting to find out how many of these "Florida Man" stories concern individuals who weren't even born in Florida, and in fact moved here after they had spent their formative years elsewhere.

So, Sesh, you're certainly welcome to visit this fine state: you have a standing invitation to stay with me as long as you like (first week is free, second week I have to start charging for room and board)...as long as you don't regale me with stories of Haggis Eating contests, Curling Tournaments, Sheep Farming and bombard me with SNP propaganda, I'm sure we'll get on just fine.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristy View Post
            It's an Infinity, chucklenuts.

Still freezing at the bus stop?
            That's even worse. At least the Lexus is made by a quality, if boring, manufacturer...

But hey at least they extended the warranty for that giant piece of shit CVT tranny! Tranny granny tranny! Get it?!
            Last edited by Nickdfresh; 02-20-2021, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X