Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

My theory is maybe there was no mike stand available so Dave borrowed a guitar instead rather than stand naked without a prop. Who knows?

These were different times. Von asked how many people watching would have realized they were miming and I honestly think back in those days way less than half.

Comment

• Mike_Oxlong
      Full On Cash Money!
      Roth Army Recruit
      • Nov 2004

The music and vocals have late-90s/early-00s vibe. You're To Blame has a Rage b-side flavor at the start... competent musicians, nothing wrong with the music. Just not the type of music I'd listen to anymore.
      "I'm long, and I'm strong, and I'm about to get the friction on..." ©Sir Mix-A-Lot

Comment

• ZahZoo
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        My theory is maybe there was no mike stand available so Dave borrowed a guitar instead rather than stand naked without a prop. Who knows?

These were different times. Von asked how many people watching would have realized they were miming and I honestly think back in those days way less than half.
        That's a sad state of human awareness... fake performances/miming wasn't anything new. I remember arguing with my friends over Dick Clark's American Bandstand and pointing out their damn electric guitars weren't even cabled in the 60's...
        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
          That's a sad state of human awareness... fake performances/miming wasn't anything new. I remember arguing with my friends over Dick Clark's American Bandstand and pointing out their damn electric guitars weren't even cabled in the 60's...
          It’s showbiz. You get a show. Not reality. Not just the music televisions shows. The Wrecking Crew were busy playing on albums of bands that didn’t even play their own songs. Live the girls screamed so loud nobody noticed they couldn’t play. Ha! Ha!

It’s always been a Hoax.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            Solid song. If we still had a music industry it probably would get a lot of radio play. What stood out to me is how well everything was mixed.
            Agreed.

Have only heard Distance and You're To Blame from the effort. Both solid efforts. Both mixed well, as I'm assuming the rest of the album is.

Overall, Wolfgang's/ Mammoth's stuff - what little I've heard so far - to me is professional-sounding and capable, without being exceptional.

In other words, were it a new pop rock band outta Idaho called Joe Blow And The Shmoes and I saw a clip of them playing either of the two Mammoth tracks I've heard on Kimmel, my reaction would be along the lines of thinking that the material sounded okay to decent. After that, I'd probably forget all about it rather quickly in terms of either of the two tunes being memorable to me. Distance I listened to several times after it was first released, and I honestly must say it hasn't exactly stuck with me. Not saying it stinks by any means...but just on its own merits and not as compared to anything Van Halen did or taking into account that Wolfgang is the kid of, I thought Distance was a decent tune. No more, no less.

Perhaps there are other tunes on the album that will resonate a bit more.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

It’s showbiz. You get a show. Not reality. Not just the music televisions shows. The Wrecking Crew were busy playing on albums of bands that didn’t even play their own songs. Live the girls screamed so loud nobody noticed they couldn’t play. Ha! Ha!

It’s always been a Hoax.
              Except for Menudo...THEY were the real deal.

And also...Josie And The Pussycats.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Acoustic version of Distance... It appears this was recorded in the same studio/sessions used on Kimmel.

"If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                  Agreed.

Have only heard Distance and You're To Blame from the effort. Both solid efforts. Both mixed well, as I'm assuming the rest of the album is.

Overall, Wolfgang's/ Mammoth's stuff - what little I've heard so far - to me is professional-sounding and capable, without being exceptional.

In other words, were it a new pop rock band outta Idaho called Joe Blow And The Shmoes and I saw a clip of them playing either of the two Mammoth tracks I've heard on Kimmel, my reaction would be along the lines of thinking that the material sounded okay to decent. After that, I'd probably forget all about it rather quickly in terms of either of the two tunes being memorable to me. Distance I listened to several times after it was first released, and I honestly must say it hasn't exactly stuck with me. Not saying it stinks by any means...but just on its own merits and not as compared to anything Van Halen did or taking into account that Wolfgang is the kid of, I thought Distance was a decent tune. No more, no less.

Perhaps there are other tunes on the album that will resonate a bit more.
                  I see it the same way. They are decent songs but nothing magical about them. Distance was a nice memorial from a son who loved his dad. Where I have the most respect for Wolfgang is he didn't let the tragedy of losing his dad stop him from getting out there and pushing forward. Not easy, especially when you have the luxury and means of not having to do it. The guy could have just hid from the public and did nothing. That would have been easier.

Ed was a once in a lifetime talent. I think we all remember the first time we heard Eruption or Mean Streets or something else great the guy did. You can count the people who bring that kind of magic to the world on one hand. It's rare as hell and I have no expectations that is going to pass on down to the children.

Where I have the respect for Wolfgang is he's doing something. Sure he can get on shows because of who his dad was but he's taking advantage of that opportunity during a hard emotional time for him and hey his songs aren't bad. Will Mammoth WVH be around in five years? I have no idea but I wish the guy the best.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                    Except for Menudo...THEY were the real deal.

And also...Josie And The Pussycats.
                    Well who doesn't like a steaming hot bowl of tripe soup? Josie? Meow!

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

I see it the same way. They are decent songs but nothing magical about them. Distance was a nice memorial from a son who loved his dad. Where I have the most respect for Wolfgang is he didn't let the tragedy of losing his dad stop him from getting out there and pushing forward. Not easy, especially when you have the luxury and means of not having to do it. The guy could have just hid from the public and did nothing. That would have been easier.

Ed was a once in a lifetime talent. I think we all remember the first time we heard Eruption or Mean Streets or something else great the guy did. You can count the people who bring that kind of magic to the world on one hand. It's rare as hell and I have no expectations that is going to pass on down to the children.

Where I have the respect for Wolfgang is he's doing something. Sure he can get on shows because of who his dad was but he's taking advantage of that opportunity during a hard emotional time for him and hey his songs aren't bad. Will Mammoth WVH be around in five years? I have no idea but I wish the guy the best.
                      I agree in general terms with all of that: the two tunes I've heard certainly didn't strike me as terrible or less than average. Just taking those two tracks into consideration simply on the merits of the music - inasmuch as one can put Wolfgang's lineage and the Van Halen catalog to one side when listening to the tunes - Mammoth 2021's stuff is okay. Is it good to the point where it would be getting the attention it is had it been created by a band full of unknown musicians? I tend to doubt it, but in the entertainment business you use whatever edge you have to get noticed, and I'm still naive enough to believe that in the end it will be the content of the creation that ensures or denies success, subjective as musical tastes are. In some ways, a "kid of" a famous musician/actor/athlete works against the kid. I mean, were I the kid/relative of someone famous, would I want to go into that same field and have to endure constant comparisons to my famous relative? I dunno...I suppose I'd have to hear what Ziggy Marley, Julian Lennon, Dale Earnhardt Jr or Clint Howard had to say about the topic of double-edged swords re: nepotism...well, maybe not so much Clint Howard...

I don't wish [Wolfgang] any ill will: if he is doing what he wants to do in terms of making music, good for him. All he can do is create what he wants to create and put it out there. After that, the reaction of the listeners is out of his hands.

I do like the fact that Wolfgang's music is clearly his own, in that he's obviously not trying to ape the Van Halen sound...taking one of the earlier names Van Halen used in the backyard party days and showing a few images of VH behind the group on the Kimmel appearance strike me more as something Wolfgang did out of love for his father and Van Halen rather than some cynical ploy.
                      Last edited by Terry; 02-19-2021, 10:11 PM.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Well who doesn't like a steaming hot bowl of tripe soup? Josie? Meow!
                        Me likey tripey.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• So this is love
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2012

Exactly! wtf
                          Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• So this is love
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2012

Your second paragraph is perfectly worded. RIP EVH

Comment

• So this is love
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2012

Very interesting! and I wish WVH the best in his endeavour and I have no doubt he will succeed. From what I have heard he seems as a good person...and thats all that matters in the end, is it not?. as I watch his father doing his thing on YT...

Comment

• Von Halen
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                                Acoustic version of Distance... It appears this was recorded in the same studio/sessions used on Kimmel.

The kid is definitely a Van Halen.

He said in the interview the album is a "hard rock" album. I can't wait to hear the whole thing. I'm not as excited as I would be for a Van Halen album, or live show on DVD, or anything from the real VH, but I am really looking forward to this album.

Comment

Working...