X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
    Fuck that shit. I can't take any musician seriously that would do that bullshit.
    I attended a bass seminar taught by Jack Casady. Between classes he was answering some questions and one guy goes why was he all wrapped up in a guitar cable on American Bandstand? He said the show wouldn’t let them play live and he was pissed. To protest he wrapped himself up in the guitar cord and threw a stuffed fish on top of the neck of his bass to show what a fraud it was. Ha! Ha!
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Ha! Ha! Here’s Jack blowing Dick Clark’s scam.
      Last edited by Nitro Express; 02-14-2021, 04:08 AM.

Comment

• Von Halen
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        Come on Sesh. You're seriously going to compare this to what these bands try to perpetuate as a "live" performance these days? Do you really believe VH was trying to make ANYONE believe that was a "live" performance?

Comment

• ZahZoo
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

The levels of TV miming are

1) Guitars not plugged in - missing musicians

2) Drums not miked

3) Keyboards not plugged in. This one was a good test for years but they routinely now do that too when miming on TV.

4) Different from the album. This one fooled me for a while until there were 2 identical Ozzy 'live' performances on different TV shows with different vocals and guitar fills from the album proving that sometimes they now go and record a 'live performance' version to air on TV shows.

My ear isn't good enough to tell if WVH was live there, the two ways to tell are vocals and drum timing but the drummer has an earpiece in which means he could be genuinely playing to a click track if it turns out his timing is too good and I don't know the song well enough to be able to examine the vocals.
          Pretty sure it's a fully live performance with no helping tracks on this one...

Guitars all cabled, amps on, drums mic'ed... vocals all synced... backing vocals were way back in the mix... timing on the drums was spot on, sound and visual. The guitar lead was spot on with the picking timing and they a had clear close-up shot. Definitely not faked... performed live.

Now the only thing that's not clear was... was this live when broadcast or a taped live performance. That part only the technical people on the show can verify.
          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Fairwrning
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

I think Wolf's vocals are live...even sounded a bit choked up on the last two lines..

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
              Pretty sure it's a fully live performance with no helping tracks on this one...

Guitars all cabled, amps on, drums mic'ed... vocals all synced... backing vocals were way back in the mix... timing on the drums was spot on, sound and visual. The guitar lead was spot on with the picking timing and they a had clear close-up shot. Definitely not faked... performed live.

Now the only thing that's not clear was... was this live when broadcast or a taped live performance. That part only the technical people on the show can verify.
              I agree but there could be a bit of help from the sound-desk...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Fairwrning
                I think Wolf's vocals are live...even sounded a bit choked up on the last two lines..
                His vocals were definitely live, and I like his voice BTW. I think there may be some speculation that things were touched up a bit but basically it was live..

I'm guessing the guys in the sound desk have some sort of Pro Tools equivalent to clean up live issues but IDK...

Comment

• twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Maybe it was tweaked before broadcast. Show is recorded at 5 pm LA time.

I thought Wolf looked a little nervous at first. Understandable since it was his first time on TV as the leader. He'll be okay now that he's got that out of the way.
                  Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                    I would be shocked if it was live when broadcast - there is no need or advantage to do that so why take the risk?

I think there may have been something going on with the backing vocals but there are some smart live time effects you can use.

Of course we are nit picking here he did well, and all the feedback I've seen has been positive.
                    Last edited by Seshmeister; 02-14-2021, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• So this is love
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2012

Exactly lol! and same in the Italian tv broadcast.
                      Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• So this is love
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2012

I think its a taped live performance...lol! At first, I was intrigued by WVH and now i am convinced he has EVH talent.

Comment

• So this is love
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2012

ok ok I remember asking my girlfriend at the time (April 19, 1984), is Eddie really playing live? I was so confused...was it the alcool or was it something else ...or maybe the distance from the stage...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by So this is love
                            I think its a taped live performance...lol! At first, I was intrigued by WVH and now i am convinced he has EVH talent.
                            We will see how much rocket sauce Wolf has. Two songs so far. They are solid. Better than a lot of the crap released now. It will be interesting to see what kind of long term fan base he builds. But he came right out of the gate swinging after having to deal with his dad passing away which shows he’s got determination, balls and discipline.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I would be shocked if it was live when broadcast - there is no need or advantage to do that so why take the risk?

I think there may have been something going on with the backing vocals but there are some smart live time effects you can use.

Of course we are nit picking here he did well, and all the feedback I've seen has been positive.
                              Most of those late night talk shows are not broadcast live... they are pre-recorded the afternoon or evening before airing.

That performance could have been a single take or the best of multiple. Either way... it appears what we heard was the band playing it for real and not them faking it to a pre-recorded version of the song. There may have been some mix-down in the recording... post performance, maybe. It's not that complex of a tune with any fancy effects added... just straight forward rock guitar, bass, drums and vocals. Damn good... too!
                              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Fairwrning
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

Maybe the best music video in the history of mankind..

Comment

Working...