Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries

Mammoth WVH New Releases

This one is my favorite so far... solid rocker.

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    This one was Ed's favorite... I believe it's the more pop oriented on the album.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,610 Posts

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 2,054 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mammoth is one way to describe it. Sounds like 80's hair metal with more delivered pizzas. Fucking awful unlistenable shit.

5. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (03-29-2021)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    His CD is $13 ($34 on vinyl) on schoolkidsrecords.com a place that I may remind you where you should do all of your music shopping. DO NOT give your money to corporate fuck monkeys like Cramazon or some brick and mortar corporate store because if you do then you're a fuck monkey asshole retard yourself. They may not have everything that caters to your shitty Montrose cover band taste but for a collector like myself they do have some interesting limited edition gems you can get. It's worth a look:

https://schoolkidsrecords.com/UPC/750238773480

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    So far I've enjoyed each of the songs released. It's all original work... the production and compositions are solid. Good energy and so far quite listenable.

For something that appeared to be a just home project of a kid using his dad's studio and resources... this has turned out far exceeding my expectations. Looking forward to hearing more...

8. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Guitar Shark (04-05-2021),So this is love (03-27-2021)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    I'd say what I've heard also exceeded my expectations, although I didn't really have any expectations to exceed...like, just him being "the kid of" Eddie Van Halen wasn't something that made me think [Wolfgang's] stuff was gonna be any good by default...

What I've heard is competent. As you say, the production and compositions are solid. Listenable.

All of that is a far cry from any of it being exceptional or memorable, which are two descriptions that I find I can't really apply to any of the Mammoth stuff I've heard.

None of which is to say I find any of it terrible by any means.

10. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

So this is love (03-27-2021)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,982 Posts

I like all I've heard.

But, to me, it's missing the chemistry of a real rock band.

Definitely a talented kid.

12. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (03-29-2021)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The idea of the vid and the vid itself are really funny, though
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    the chemistry of a real rock band is missing
    necessarily.
    For a fraction of a second when the second Wolf arrives to grab a guitar before the other two, I thought hey, the other guitarist is just as hefty as he is.

The music sounds great, though maybe too polished. Some frying would have been welcome in there.

Anyway I like the vid a lot.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The chemistry element does seem to be missing... sort of... I keep finding myself focused on the fact that all the parts were performed by one person or actually reminding myself.

But then, if that fact weren't present, I wouldn't make the connection necessarily just listening to the songs. Plus, given Wolf's roots... the chemistry was such a prevalent element in his father's work... it's difficult not to consider it.

The exceptional or memorable aspect is true so far. Not hearing something that I think people will imprint on and still enjoy 20 or 40 years from now like some of rock's greatest songs.

But has that era past us all..?

15. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (03-29-2021)

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Am I the only one thinking of Dave Grohl? Backup player loses the main element of his first band and decides to make his own record and hire road musicians to play live..and I like what Ive heard so far..The video is even fooish..

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    The chemistry element does seem to be missing... sort of... I keep finding myself focused on the fact that all the parts were performed by one person or actually reminding myself.

It's probably because he hasn't had to cut his teeth with a bunch of bro musicians playing bars then progressively bigger venues before landing a contract. It seems like maybe five years before making it is a good benchmark with bands like Van Halen and The Who...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I like all I've heard.

Okay, I'll agree, He is talented - for a hack. He's no Stevie Wonder or Todd Rundgren. I listened to his entire album on YouGoob and nothing struck me as interesting original or fun. Most of the songwriting is centered around the loss of his father. That's commendable but for an album its tedious. Riffs sound straight out of Warrant Jani Lane notebook with some Montrose thrown in. Eh, best of luck to the guy.

19. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (03-28-2021)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post

But then, if that fact weren't present, I wouldn't make the connection necessarily just listening to the songs. Plus, given Wolf's roots... the chemistry was such a prevalent element in his father's work... it's difficult not to consider it.

The exceptional or memorable aspect is true so far. Not hearing something that I think people will imprint on and still enjoy 20 or 40 years from now like some of rock's greatest songs.

But has that era past us all..?
    I can't really say if that era has come and gone, in terms of rock music. I will say I find a lot of what is being released under the 'rock' genre these days pretty disposable in terms of it being in one ear and out the other when I listen to it...

I mean, outside of the choice of using Van Halen's old 1970s backyard party band name for his project, I don't think Wolfgang's music is trying to ape what Van Halen did stylistically...and that is a positive thing.

I tend to think if this material had been released by a band of previously unknown rock musicians with no famous family connections, it probably wouldn't be getting the amount of attention it is getting. It's an obvious conclusion to make there, but the Mammoth stuff to my ears...while it is competently written, arranged and produced...none of it thus far has really made me want to hear it more than the couple of times I did in order to give the tunes a fair listen or fair shake.

In terms of chemistry, doubtless it's hard to conjure up any when it, as you say, is one person writing all the material and playing all the parts.

If I thought Wolfgang's Mammoth stuff sucked, I'd say so. While I don't think it sucks, none of what I've heard (and all I have heard are the tracks that have been posted on this site) has made me want to give the entire album a listen...and none of the tracks have jumped out at me to the point where I want to hear them again and again...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    Am I the only one thinking of Dave Grohl? Backup player loses the main element of his first band and decides to make his own record and hire road musicians to play live..and I like what Ive heard so far..The video is even fooish..
    Well... Paul McCartney kinda did the same thing back in 1970. Nobody died, in his case, but he decided that he didn't want to put a band together to make a record, so he played everything himself. Prince also made his first three albums entirely on his own, so Wolf isn't entirely unique in that respect. Of course none of those guys played in their dad's band as a teenager either. (Paul actually might have, but Jim McCartney's band never played a gig outside of Liverpool, as far as I know)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

As far as the "Don't Back Down" video goes, if you're going to clone yourself multiple times in the video (because you played all the instruments) you really should have all the different versions of yourself dressed differently.

(See "Silly Thing" by the Sex Pistols or that godawful disco song "Coming Up" by Paul McCartney for examples)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    The songs are solid. What sticks out to me is how well the sound is engineered. Top grade recording.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Well... Paul McCartney kinda did the same thing back in 1970. Nobody died, in his case, but he decided that he didn't want to put a band together to make a record, so he played everything himself. Prince also made his first three albums entirely on his own, so Wolf isn't entirely unique in that respect. Of course none of those guys played in their dad's band as a teenager either. (Paul actually might have, but Jim McCartney's band never played a gig outside of Liverpool, as far as I know)
    Both Paul McCartney and Prince are in the musical genius category. Wolfgang manages to make half decent songs but nothing magical. Not too many children of great musicians match up to their parent. But hell, there will only be one Eddie Van Halen. The kid can make music. We will see where he is in five years. Right now people are just curious to see what he can do.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Ed was a great innovator and came up with great riffs but if VH3 was his best song producing ability then Wolfgang is better. Wolf can write lyrics, sing and patch a decent song together himself. Ed needed others to craft a full song but if he worked with the right people holy shit was it ever good.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Okay, I'll agree, He is talented - for a hack. He's no Stevie Wonder or Todd Rundgren. I listened to his entire album on YouGoob and nothing struck me as interesting original or fun. Most of the songwriting is centered around the loss of his father. That's commendable but for an album its tedious. Riffs sound straight out of Warrant Jani Lane notebook with some Montrose thrown in. Eh, best of luck to the guy.
    If he’s not better in five years we will put the screws to him.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I like all I've heard.

Music from a kid who had a studio up the driveway. But hell, where do you play in front of a live audience these days? My dad had his own brass swing band in high school and played mostly dances. He made pretty good money doing that but them days are long gone.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Both Paul McCartney and Prince are in the musical genius category. Wolfgang manages to make half decent songs but nothing magical. Not too many children of great musicians match up to their parent. But hell, there will only be one Eddie Van Halen. The kid can make music. We will see where he is in five years. Right now people are just curious to see what he can do.
    And that's as it should be. When Julian Lennon's first album came out, everybody thought he sounded just like his dad. And looked a lot like him too. By his third album, he was tired of comparisons, so instead, he tried to sound like his dad's old friend, David Bowie. That didn't work too well.... and we really haven't heard from him since. But he probably had more success than his little brother Sean did (and from what I've heard of Sean's music, that's not really surprising).

Wolf has talent. He couldn't make an entire album by himself if he didn't. But whether he can channel that talent into a sound that people want to hear, well that's the question. I definitely DO think it's good that he's not trying to sound like Eddie, because (as Julian Lennon could tell him) that's not a good business plan for the long term.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,982 Posts

Didn't Aldo Nova do his first album entirely himself?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Didn't Aldo Nova do his first album entirely himself?
    He didn't play drums.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Just like that shittard monkey boy in Boston. He played everything but drums and singing.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The songs are solid. What sticks out to me is how well the sound is engineered. Top grade recording.
    Michael Baskette who has most notably worked with Slash and Sevendust produced this. Baskette seems to big on big riffy distorted guitar and that 90's metal-ish robodrumming. He's sort of a one-trick pony producer because there's not much difference sonically between a Slash solo outing and Sevendust and even this. I guess daddy's money could not afford a better more suitable producer for the Staypuff Marshmallow Boy. So you do get what you pay for.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Just like that shittard monkey boy in Boston. He played everything but drums and singing.
    Tom Scholz is a goddamned liar. He didn't play everything on those albums. Here's the proof.....

Tom didn't play a single note on that song.... and yet it sounds exactly like a Boston song (absent any humongous church organs, of course)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yes, he god damn did play just about everything on those god damn Boston albums. Even god damn WikiNiki can confirm god damn Schlitz Beer Tom played geeee tar, bass fish, and key boredom and god damn per cushion. That god damn shit sounds like every other god damn shit that was out on god damn Epic Records at the time. God damn it.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    And that's as it should be. When Julian Lennon's first album came out, everybody thought he sounded just like his dad. And looked a lot like him too. By his third album, he was tired of comparisons, so instead, he tried to sound like his dad's old friend, David Bowie. That didn't work too well.... and we really haven't heard from him since. But he probably had more success than his little brother Sean did (and from what I've heard of Sean's music, that's not really surprising).

Wolf has talent. He couldn't make an entire album by himself if he didn't. But whether he can channel that talent into a sound that people want to hear, well that's the question. I definitely DO think it's good that he's not trying to sound like Eddie, because (as Julian Lennon could tell him) that's not a good business plan for the long term.
    Back when we had a music industry and back when you could make a lot of money with recorded music you had talented managers and producers who could improve an act and help them further their career. The story was always the same. Usually who ruined the career was the artist themselves. A very common story.

Wolfgang is like a trust fund kid. He’s set. He’s no different than the rich kid who paints in a loft apartment in NYC because that’s the cool thing to do. Wolf makes music. Sometimes the art is pretty good but these people live in a different world. They don’t have to make a living.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    God damn it.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Rarely do trust fund kids make great entertainers. It’s usually some nobody getting a break. I often wonder how much brilliance we miss because someone didn’t get the break or someone wasn’t willing to starve for their art. Lot’s of talented people out there but crafting really good songs, making a living doing it and being able to keep that process going requires a lot of variables working right. It’s always been difficult but in today’s environment of fragmented tastes and suppliers of music and little reward for the producer of it, there might not be big acts anymore like there were. There’s no center to any of it. In the past it was to get your song on all the major radio stations. The days of Dick Clark’s, Wolfman Jack’s and Casey Kasum’s promoting new artists is over. MTV is done. It’s play live and sell merchandise but how do people know who your are? In the not too distant past it cost a million dollars to promote a new act and get them on the road. Usually the record labels footed the startup costs. Who’s going to give a new band that kind of money now? Sure you can digitally record yourself and put it on the internet but how do you get attention? How do you market?
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-29-2021 at 07:28 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Michael Baskette who has most notably worked with Slash and Sevendust produced this. Baskette seems to big on big riffy distorted guitar and that 90's metal-ish robodrumming. He's sort of a one-trick pony producer because there's not much difference sonically between a Slash solo outing and Sevendust and even this. I guess daddy's money could not afford a better more suitable producer for the Staypuff Marshmallow Boy. So you do get what you pay for.
    I never thought Slash was that great but I met him at the Sundance Film Festival. I liked the guy. None of that I’m a rock star ego. Slash was just one of the guys.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You either turn people’s crank or you don’t. Some people that create with three chords really well can get you off more than some highly trained full on musicians that can spell boredom very well with a lot of notes. That’s the magic. Everyone is looking for it but nobody quite knows what it is but they know it when they hear it.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Rarely do trust fund kids make great entertainers. It’s usually some nobody getting a break.
    Joe Sumner's band Fiction Plane opened for his dad and the Police on the reunion tour. Songs were okay, Joe sounds a little like Sting. Don't remember if he played bass too.

Haven't heard much of Joe since. He was touring with the Bowie alumni/tribute thing that got postponed about this time last year.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Joe Sumner's band Fiction Plane opened for his dad and the Police on the reunion tour. Songs were okay, Joe sounds a little like Sting. Don't remember if he played bass too.

Haven't heard much of Joe since. He was touring with the Bowie alumni/tribute thing that got postponed about this time last year.
    I have a saying if you have to make an effort to stop and think if it’s good it’s not that great. Lot’s of good musicians but very few make your big toe shoot up in your boot. It’s either there or it’s not and people have been trying to catch that lightning in a bottle forever. Eddie Van Halen put it best. He said he had no idea where it came from but it just comes. Some people have the star dust and others don’t.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Rarely do trust fund kids make great entertainers. It’s usually some nobody getting a break. I often wonder how much brilliance we miss because someone didn’t get the break or someone wasn’t willing to starve for their art. Lot’s of talented people out there but crafting really good songs, making a living doing it and being able to keep that process going requires a lot of variables working right. It’s always been difficult but in today’s environment of fragmented tastes and suppliers of music and little reward for the producer of it, there might not be big acts anymore like there were. There’s no center to any of it. In the past it was to get your song on all the major radio stations. The days of Dick Clark’s, Wolfman Jack’s and Casey Kasum’s promoting new artists is over. MTV is done. It’s play live and sell merchandise but how do people know who your are? In the not too distant past it cost a million dollars to promote a new act and get them on the road. Usually the record labels footed the startup costs. Who’s going to give a new band that kind of money now? Sure you can digitally record yourself and put it on the internet but how do you get attention? How do you market?
    Well today, you can actually experience a million more brilliant artists than not so long ago thanks to the interwebs and social media. I believe there has always been about the same amount of talented people out there... As you say it's still a rare few that make a living at it.

But it does make you wonder... does the expanded access today actually water down the value of all those famous musicians. Pick any famous guitarist alive today... is his/her performance really worth multi-million dollar tours and $200 concert tickets..?

It's hard to say their performances justify the cost when there's 100+ kids 8-12 years old out there that can rip it, as well, if not better than the big rock star...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

At this rate we won't have to buy an album, it'll all be on YouTube!

Feel

44. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (04-23-2021)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It's all decent compositions and some interesting bits and parts... well produced and recorded.

I guess the downside of the one-man band thing is it all starts sounding the same or shall I say the spectrum/variety of music is fairly narrow.

Especially vocal melodies and backing vocals... Without any strong hooks, the vocals are a bit monotonous sounding to me. Not bad... just sort of bland and not very interesting. Also the lyrical choices all sound somewhat dark, angry or sad...

I try not to judge Wolf's effort with any Van Halen specific expectations... but, so far what's lacking is a happy, playful vibe musically...

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Wolfgang dropped a new one today... solid rocker!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Wolf is definitely talented for sure.

The songs are good but seem to be rooted in mid to late 90s radio rock. Not my cup of tea.

I'm not expecting him to release a heavy CVH style record by any means but the songs are nothing I would have on repeat.

48. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-01-2021)

Thread Information