Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

As far as the "Don't Back Down" video goes, if you're going to clone yourself multiple times in the video (because you played all the instruments) you really should have all the different versions of yourself dressed differently.

(See "Silly Thing" by the Sex Pistols or that godawful disco song "Coming Up" by Paul McCartney for examples)
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

The songs are solid. What sticks out to me is how well the sound is engineered. Top grade recording.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
        Well... Paul McCartney kinda did the same thing back in 1970. Nobody died, in his case, but he decided that he didn't want to put a band together to make a record, so he played everything himself. Prince also made his first three albums entirely on his own, so Wolf isn't entirely unique in that respect. Of course none of those guys played in their dad's band as a teenager either. (Paul actually might have, but Jim McCartney's band never played a gig outside of Liverpool, as far as I know)
        Both Paul McCartney and Prince are in the musical genius category. Wolfgang manages to make half decent songs but nothing magical. Not too many children of great musicians match up to their parent. But hell, there will only be one Eddie Van Halen. The kid can make music. We will see where he is in five years. Right now people are just curious to see what he can do.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Ed was a great innovator and came up with great riffs but if VH3 was his best song producing ability then Wolfgang is better. Wolf can write lyrics, sing and patch a decent song together himself. Ed needed others to craft a full song but if he worked with the right people holy shit was it ever good.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
            Okay, I'll agree, He is talented - for a hack. He's no Stevie Wonder or Todd Rundgren. I listened to his entire album on YouGoob and nothing struck me as interesting original or fun. Most of the songwriting is centered around the loss of his father. That's commendable but for an album its tedious. Riffs sound straight out of Warrant Jani Lane notebook with some Montrose thrown in. Eh, best of luck to the guy.
            If he’s not better in five years we will put the screws to him.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
              I like all I've heard.

But, to me, it's missing the chemistry of a real rock band.

Definitely a talented kid.
              Music from a kid who had a studio up the driveway. But hell, where do you play in front of a live audience these days? My dad had his own brass swing band in high school and played mostly dances. He made pretty good money doing that but them days are long gone.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                Both Paul McCartney and Prince are in the musical genius category. Wolfgang manages to make half decent songs but nothing magical. Not too many children of great musicians match up to their parent. But hell, there will only be one Eddie Van Halen. The kid can make music. We will see where he is in five years. Right now people are just curious to see what he can do.
                And that's as it should be. When Julian Lennon's first album came out, everybody thought he sounded just like his dad. And looked a lot like him too. By his third album, he was tired of comparisons, so instead, he tried to sound like his dad's old friend, David Bowie. That didn't work too well.... and we really haven't heard from him since. But he probably had more success than his little brother Sean did (and from what I've heard of Sean's music, that's not really surprising).

Wolf has talent. He couldn't make an entire album by himself if he didn't. But whether he can channel that talent into a sound that people want to hear, well that's the question. I definitely DO think it's good that he's not trying to sound like Eddie, because (as Julian Lennon could tell him) that's not a good business plan for the long term.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Von Halen
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Didn't Aldo Nova do his first album entirely himself?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Von Halen
                    Didn't Aldo Nova do his first album entirely himself?
                    He didn't play drums.

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Just like that shittard monkey boy in Boston. He played everything but drums and singing.

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                        The songs are solid. What sticks out to me is how well the sound is engineered. Top grade recording.
                        Michael Baskette who has most notably worked with Slash and Sevendust produced this. Baskette seems to big on big riffy distorted guitar and that 90's metal-ish robodrumming. He's sort of a one-trick pony producer because there's not much difference sonically between a Slash solo outing and Sevendust and even this. I guess daddy's money could not afford a better more suitable producer for the Staypuff Marshmallow Boy. So you do get what you pay for.

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                          Just like that shittard monkey boy in Boston. He played everything but drums and singing.
                          Tom Scholz is a goddamned liar. He didn't play everything on those albums. Here's the proof.....

Tom didn't play a single note on that song.... and yet it sounds exactly like a Boston song (absent any humongous church organs, of course)
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Kristy
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Yes, he god damn did play just about everything on those god damn Boston albums. Even god damn WikiNiki can confirm god damn Schlitz Beer Tom played geeee tar, bass fish, and key boredom and god damn per cushion. That god damn shit sounds like every other god damn shit that was out on god damn Epic Records at the time. God damn it.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                              And that's as it should be. When Julian Lennon's first album came out, everybody thought he sounded just like his dad. And looked a lot like him too. By his third album, he was tired of comparisons, so instead, he tried to sound like his dad's old friend, David Bowie. That didn't work too well.... and we really haven't heard from him since. But he probably had more success than his little brother Sean did (and from what I've heard of Sean's music, that's not really surprising).

Wolf has talent. He couldn't make an entire album by himself if he didn't. But whether he can channel that talent into a sound that people want to hear, well that's the question. I definitely DO think it's good that he's not trying to sound like Eddie, because (as Julian Lennon could tell him) that's not a good business plan for the long term.
                              Back when we had a music industry and back when you could make a lot of money with recorded music you had talented managers and producers who could improve an act and help them further their career. The story was always the same. Usually who ruined the career was the artist themselves. A very common story.

Wolfgang is like a trust fund kid. He’s set. He’s no different than the rich kid who paints in a loft apartment in NYC because that’s the cool thing to do. Wolf makes music. Sometimes the art is pretty good but these people live in a different world. They don’t have to make a living.

Comment

• Kristy
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

God damn it.

Comment

Working...