Today @ 12:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,580 Times in 3,459 Posts

Sammy hagar ‘would have been embarrassed’ to be in ‘van hagar’

SAMMY HAGAR ‘WOULD HAVE BEEN EMBARRASSED’ TO BE IN ‘VAN HAGAR’
    RYAN REEDPublished: April 15, 2021
    Amy Sussman, Getty Images

Sammy Hagar recalled the initial band-name discussions after he joined Van Halen, saying he "would have been embarrassed" to be in "Van Hagar."

The singer broke down the widely told story in a recent interview with Los Angeles radio station 95.5 KLOS, saying Warner Bros. Records executive Mo Ostin first raised the "Van Hagar" option during a band meeting.

"We were all in a room, and I think Mo Ostin said, 'Why don't we be careful here?'" he said. "Our managers and lawyers and the president of the record company and the band [were] all in a room when we asked for permission for me to join the band — it was official. … And we were in the studio, and we played [1986's] 'Why Can't This Be Love.' And Mo Ostin went, 'Oh, I smell money' — he thought it was just the greatest. ... Then he said, 'Did you guys ever think about maybe changing the name to, like, Van Hagar or something?'"

Hagar also theorized about Ostin's reasoning. "I know what they were thinking, because they thought, 'If this doesn't work, at least you can go back with Van Halen again," he added. "But if you're Van Halen and it don't work, now you've ruined the name Van Halen. So they were trying to preserve, I think, the Van Halen name. And Eddie Van Halen — no one else — said, 'Fuck that.' He said, 'This is Van Halen with a new singer. And everybody said, 'Okay. Word. Gospel.' Boom."

The singer said he was "100 percent on board" with that game plan: "It was Van Halen with a new singer. I would have been embarrassed to be Van Hagar. I would have said, 'Let's just change it back to [the band's early name] Mammoth or something — go back to the beginning."

You can hear the interview below.

Former bassist Michael Anthony recently discussed the name-change prospect, saying the Van Halen brothers had to fight to preserve the moniker.

"We had everybody — [Van Halen's record label] Warner Bros., our management, our lawyers — going, 'Oh, my God. David Lee Roth's gone.' They thought that that was such a strong identity," Anthony told Steve Gorman Rocks. "Warner Bros. wanted us to change the name of the band. I remember Eddie and Alex [Van Halen], we were at Warner Bros., and they were yelling, going, 'Hey, hey, this is our last name. This is our careers. And we're Van Halen.'"

Longtime producer Ted Templeman also initially suggested a switch. "When I first sat down with Sammy and his manager, I said, 'Call it something else if you're going to be in the band,'" he told UCR in 2020. "It's just not Van Halen without Dave to me.'"

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/samm...edium=referral
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

I can't blame him. I would have been embarrassed to be in Van Hagar too. Fortunately for me, I wasn't. Unlike Sammy.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. 3 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

Mushroom (04-27-2021),Seshmeister (04-21-2021),Terry (04-24-2021)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,503 Posts

Blog Entries
    That was basically the widespread moniker - Van Hagar - the band came to be known as among rock fans after Hagar joined, anyway. When I heard the expression used, it was usually done so to clearly delineate Roth's absence, and usually as a negate way, as Joe Dir-tay said: I like Van Halen, not Van Hagar.

Looking back, I tend to imagine now that it wouldn't have cost the band much one way or the other in sales if they had renamed themselves Van Hagar rather than keeping the original name: it wasn't as if everyone didn't know Roth wasn't in the band after 1984 anyway. I understand the value of a name in terms of the brand, and I suppose I agree with the Van Halens in that it IS their name, so there was a pride factor involved. I mean, if the name WAS that important, it would have followed that Van Halen's first album with Hagar would have sold as much as the band's last with Dave...and it didn't.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,062 Posts

Blog Entries
    Spammy F A T Spammy go eat your shit sandwich of baloney and hammy. Your small dick is crammy ugly and gets no whammy. Red Cocker with a heart blocker and lyrics that are shammy. You wanted a Ferrari but ended up with a knock off Lammy, so eat my asshole, F A T Spammy

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I remember my hillbilly collegiate cousin in Ohio told me before the record was out... "yeah they're going to name the band van hagar"
    I told him to fuck off. That's stupid. I was already sour that DLR was out.

This thread should be in the main VH/DLR Discussion forum!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Spammy F A T Spammy go eat your shit sandwich of baloney and hammy. Your small dick is crammy ugly and gets no whammy. Red Cocker with a heart blocker and lyrics that are shammy. You wanted a Ferrari but ended up with a knock off Lammy, so eat my asshole, F A T Spammy
    You're getting old and tired babe, but that's actually your best since 10 years ago! Did you plagiarize that one?

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    I told him to fuck off. That's stupid.
    You did no such thing.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    You're getting old and tired babe, but that's actually your best since 10 years ago! Did you plagiarize that one?
    Right from your butt buddy Jimmy Page.

Thread Information