Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

It’s Only Roth ‘N’ Roll: SPIN 1986 David Lee Roth Cover Story

https://www.spin.com/featured/david-...6-cover-story/

They have reposted it for the 35th(I still double check that each time I see it) anniversary of EEAS.

Worth checking out at the link above.

Most of it ended up in one form or another in the CFTH book - not sure I remember this Hagar story though...

Dave’s Fave Van Halen Rumor

My favorite item about Van Halen is that Eddie’s new singer has zoomed up out of oblivion and suddenly he’s got the microphone. Here’s a guy who’s bad-mouthing me, and I never even shook his hand. Never met this guy in my life. There was an incident though when I was recording the EP and I was in the studio with Ted Templeman, and Ted was doing Sammy Hagar at the same time. And the telephone call comes, and it’s the singer and he’s frantic. He just got his first big shot with some song, and he’s got the video, and evidently, he says the word “ass.” Standards and Practices are all over him. They’re not going to play his video. There goes the last 10 percent of the career down the toilet. “What am I gonna do?” he asked. Ted turns to me and says, “You’re into video. What should he do?” I get on the phone and ask him what’s happening on the screen, what’s the transition before it? So he tells me the transition. “Well, that’s cool. If the guy’s slamming the door when that word pops up, just pop in the sound of the door. You can go down to editing. They probably have 20 different doors for you. They’re in the Yellow Pages.” And that’s exactly what happened.

The next thing I know, this guy’s all over the press, with mindless word-drool, and they are bad-mouthing me and talking about how they suffered and struggled through the last 12 years, put up with my shit. Poor little Eddie Van Halen. Struggled to survive a continuing onslaught of platinum records and Lamborghinis. Poor little Eddie. Forced to live a lie.

Eddie’s Problem
    The biggest problem Eddie had with me was, in addition to making the records and going on tour, I wanted to make the video, make a movie, tour weird places, and get involved in designing the album covers. They just couldn’t get their asses out of bed. They usually just couldn’t make it through rehearsals for a two-week period without an argument. A year for an album? “That’s ridiculous.” Want to go on the road? “Sure, for how long?” They don’t want to do these four- five-month tours. So, what are we going to do? Play the stadiums, the big places. That way we only have to play the two hot months of the summer. I joke and say you can’t hear my jokes in a place like that. Fact of the matter is, you can’t hear anything in a place like that. From 20 feet you can’t hear. From 80 yards you can’t see a thing. Maybe other artists can communicate to 50,000 people. Maybe it’s Springsteen. It sure ain’t me. I think it’s a rip-off to play stadiums. Can’t hear, can’t see, I got no control over the show.

Rock ‘n’ roll is probably the best form of entertainment. That’s why it lasted so long. I want to do it. Why would they want to do it? Money. I have money. I want to play, tour, go everywhere. Last time I was in Japan was 1979. Why can’t we go to Japan? Because we don’t make enough money. It’s not “We don’t make money.” It’s “We don’t make enough.” I always figured I got this gig partly because I want to travel, and if I don’t make no scratch in Japan, fine. I don’t make my money in New York, and if it’s not New York, I’ll make it in South America. It’ll just go up and down, up and down, as my career goes on. You’re not going to be popular in all countries all the time unless you’re Julio Iglesias.

Last edited by Seshmeister; 07-08-2021 at 11:26 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 5 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Never was (07-09-2021),Nickdfresh (07-09-2021),Rikk (07-08-2021),Von Halen (07-08-2021),ZahZoo (07-08-2021)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Great. We're all Tiger Beat readers now.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Sesh, I never heard this story of Dave on the phone with Sam (discussing the I CAN'T DRIVE 55 video). That's pretty fascinating. And I believe it.

I tell you, Dave quit...I'm not saying he didn't have reasons for being fed up. I'm just saying, he quit. Sam would've come off a lot better and been a lot less hated if he didn't join the band and immediately start badmouthing Dave every chance he could. Who does that shit? If Sam had kept his trap shut, didn't downplay the greatness of the original band or Dave, if he'd actually tried to play a few more of the original songs (though he'd likely butcher them), then CVH fans would've (while still not loving the new era) at least been a lot less angry and disgusted.

Just like what he'd doing now, Sam started this crap back then and kept it going.

5. Thanked Rikk for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-18-2021)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Hagar's version of "Unchained" was painful to listen to.....

I don't even want to imagine him singng any other Van HALEN songs.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Hagar's version of "Unchained" was painful to listen to.....
    He didn't do justice by any of those songs...it's possible his AIN'T TALKIN' 'BOUT LOVE was maybe the least offensive of the pack...but it still wasn't good.

But his attitude and disrespect, trying to pretend there was no history before him...
    His trying to act like he saved that band (when he really ruined it)...
    THAT was almost as disgusting as his shitty lyrics and piss-poor performances.

8. 3 users say thank you to Rikk for this KICKASS post:

FORD (07-08-2021),Kristy (07-09-2021),Seshmeister (07-09-2021)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

I don't think I've ever watched this all the way through before, it seems that they didn't follow Dave's advice and just muted the word.

A couple of things jump out - maybe the song was but the video could never have been cool not even back then. How is a road rage guy dressed like that in a fucking Ferrari who fucks up trying to pass the car in front not the asshole?

It's not 'I can't drive 55' it should be called 'I can't drive'.

Secondly the band all in the same uniform...

This song never sold shit in Europe because in the UK the speed limit was 70mph and the rest of Europe is metric so it's a song boasting about driving over 34mph.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 07-09-2021 at 09:27 AM.

10. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (07-10-2021)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Secondly the band all in the same uniform...
    Sgt. Peckerheads

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Sesh, I never heard this story of Dave on the phone with Sam (discussing the I CAN'T DRIVE 55 video). That's pretty fascinating. And I believe it.

I tell you, Dave quit...I'm not saying he didn't have reasons for being fed up. I'm just saying, he quit. Sam would've come off a lot better and been a lot less hated if he didn't join the band and immediately start badmouthing Dave every chance he could. Who does that shit? If Sam had kept his trap shut, didn't downplay the greatness of the original band or Dave, if he'd actually tried to play a few more of the original songs (though he'd likely butcher them), then CVH fans would've (while still not loving the new era) at least been a lot less angry and disgusted.

Just like what he'd doing now, Sam started this crap back then and kept it going.
    That was one thing back when Roth left that I never quite understood, in terms of wondering where Sammy Hagar got off saying word one about Roth in those interviews Dave and the Van Halens were giving in the wake of the breakup, in that while the Van Halens may have had their gripes about Dave certainly Hagar wasn't in a position to say word one about anything that had transpired in the band before he joined it. Mostly because Hagar circa early 1985 as a solo artist wasn't on any type of par with what Van Halen were at that point. Not in terms of album sales or as a touring act, despite Hagar's bullshit claims that he was selling out arenas across the US as a solo artist. Hagar wasn't a commercial flop as a solo artist, but for him to claim that joining Van Halen was anything other than a sizeable step up for him in commercial terms was bullshit.

Thread Information