Yesterday @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Cinderella before they broke big

From the YouTube Comments

Richard Haynie
    9 years ago
    I actually did the shoot with my co-worker, Brian. It was a local (Philly) cable tv ad, running on MTV and ESPN. This was also before they broke big. Cinderella did it for free as a favor to the owner of Pat's, an old friend. We shot the whole thing in about 3 hours one evening. It took about an hour to get the band out of the bathroom ("makeup"), but was smooth sailing after that.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-11-2021),Von Halen (07-10-2021)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,491 Posts

Blog Entries
    Meh. Hardly the most or far from the most embarrassing 'before they were famous' clip I've ever seen.

Always liked Cinderella, in that I thought more than a bit of their stuff at least had aspirations of being something other than what was typical of the mid to late 1980s US hair metal genre: they certainly dressed the part and acted the part in terms of the promo vids they did, but the music for me was a notch or two above what bands like, say, Poison/Winger/Warrant were doing.

Is that an Eddie Van Halenized Paul Stanley Ibanez Tom Keifer is playing in the commercial?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Meh. Hardly the most or far from the most embarrassing 'before they were famous' clip I've ever seen.

Always liked Cinderella, in that I thought more than a bit of their stuff at least had aspirations of being something other than what was typical of the mid to late 1980s US hair metal genre: they certainly dressed the part and acted the part in terms of the promo vids they did, but the music for me was a notch or two above what bands like, say, Poison/Winger/Warrant were doing.
    I agree. They were a great live band too. Saw them several times.

I don't think Warrant should be mentioned with Poison and Winger. Warrant was a much better band than those other two. I saw them open for Paul Stanley at The Ritz in Roseville, on a Stanley solo tour when he had one of those Kulick brothers in his band. This was before pretty much anyone had heard of Warrant, and to be honest, they blew Stanley and his band off the stage. The "Dog Eat Dog" album is kick ass. I never get tired of "The Hole In My Wall".

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Is that an Eddie Van Halenized Paul Stanley Ibanez Tom Keifer is playing in the commercial?
    Yes sir. Good eye!

5. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-24-2021)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,491 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    I agree. They were a great live band too. Saw them several times.

I don't think Warrant should be mentioned with Poison and Winger. Warrant was a much better band than those other two. I saw them open for Paul Stanley at The Ritz in Roseville, on a Stanley solo tour when he had one of those Kulick brothers in his band. This was before pretty much anyone had heard of Warrant, and to be honest, they blew Stanley and his band off the stage. The "Dog Eat Dog" album is kick ass. I never get tired of "The Hole In My Wall".

Yes sir. Good eye!
    Dog Eat Dog WAS a good album...for them. Alas, by the time Dog Eat Dog was released, those guys had already sold their musical souls out (and cashed in) with the first two albums, both of which were more than a little bit traced from the late 1980s pop 40 hair metal template. Can I honestly say I wouldn't have made the same compromises with my musical integrity in order to get a record contract and have the degree of success they did with those first two albums? No, I can't.

But that's the thing about integrity along with first impressions often being lasting ones. And also a matter of timing, in that Warrant got big just as the hair metal wave was cresting, and by the time they got more concerned about credibility with their third album their brand of rock was being eclipsed by Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc. Doubtless, it's all too easy and not really accurate to refer to Warrant as the Cherry Pie guys, because there was a bit more to the band than that...but I do think Warrant fits in nicely with Poison and Winger, if only in the limited sense of being a late 1980s band that I didn't particularly care for then and never willingly listen to today if I can avoid it.

Thread Information