X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Best Albums1981’s Best Rock Albums

This may be the first time I've ever agreed with a #1 and #2 in one of these lists, crazy. Then they completely fucking ruin it all with the inexplicable madness of #3 which of course should have been Ozzy...

Best Albums1981’s Best Rock Albums

Brian Kachejian 1 Year Ago

Our 80s best rock albums series continues with the year 1981. Many musical changes occurred in the year 1981. By far the biggest musical news of the year was the launching of MTV on August 1st 1981. The launch of the video channel would have a dramatic impact on the music businesses. No longer did rock stars have to just sound good, they also had to look good or at least hire a bunch of models to take up most of the screen time. MTV’s launch in 1981 was not immediately felt because not all cable companies initially carried it. Cable itself had only recently been connected to the nation’s homes in the mid 1970s. So everything was still very new. Still for those of us who were lucky to receive it in 81, it was nice to not have to wait for Don Kirshners Rock Concert once a week to see bands on television.

Choosing 1981’s Best Rock Albums was more difficult than the previous year. There were many new bands and artists that had huge selling debut albums. There were also a great list of bands who released solid sophomore efforts that defined whether or not they would be sticking around for a while longer. Metal continued to take its place further up the commercial ladder while punk faded into the sounds of new wave even more. And of course the classic rock bands like The Rolling Stones were still kicking up new material leaving music fans old and new a wide variety of choices.
    https://www.classicrockhistory.com/1981s-best-rock-albums/?fbclid=IwAR0lUZbtg9xZMSe1q2jsVkQfVBd4mcbE1SjA197d x2RFdwYO-cphT6VltFg
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

1981 was by far the weirdest year for music. I mean shit weird.

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

That Kim Wilde album is the shit. Sure, it's abysmal, monotonous with inane lyrics and she's an untalented limey hack who sexualized her career that was soon replaced by Kylie Minogue.

But I have this on the original 1981 vinyl and have smoked quite a few bowls to this pre-MTV corporate shit and it's an experience.

Problem with Kimmy is that she let her dipshit brother produce her and that dumb motherfucker had no vision - because he's a limey.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Fucking Hagar ranked above the Stones?? What kind of bullshit is that??

And how is Dan Fogelberg on a ROCK list at all? Or Rickie Lee Jones for that matter? She might be the most famous person to ever graduate from my high school, but she ain't "rock".
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Oh, go cry to your Koch daddy.
          Last edited by Kristy; 07-19-2021, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
            Fucking Hagar ranked above the Stones?? What kind of bullshit is that??

And how is Dan Fogelberg on a ROCK list at all? Or Rickie Lee Jones for that matter? She might be the most famous person to ever graduate from my high school, but she ain't "rock".
            The Stones still can sell out stadiums charging huge prices for tickets. Sammy Hagar might draw a crowd of 5,000. Also Sam is on a never ending mission to remind everyone he once sang in front of Van Halen. Why did Sam go off on Dave not too long ago? Jealousy. Dave has the legacy and Sam is known to be the replacement. The Red Rocker is about as memorable as Loverboy. Even with all his scratch Sam can’t buy being a legendary frontman but Sam will go to his grave trying to invade our space reminding us he once sang for Van Halen.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

I got my driver’s license in 81 and had a good summer job which means on my off time I had a hell of a lot of fun.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                The Stones still can sell out stadiums charging huge prices for tickets. Sammy Hagar might draw a crowd of 5,000.
                Looking at the dates he has booked it's 2000 max on a good night if he sells them out.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                  The Red Rocker is about as memorable as Loverboy.
                  And they actually recorded a song together.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                    Looking at the dates he has booked it's 2000 max on a good night if he sells them out.
                    Dang. If you ever had to give a speech or perform for 2,000 people that isn’t very many.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                      And they actually recorded a song together.....

Ha! Ha! Too funny. Both singers became fat asses too.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I can only think of 3 gigs in my long life I've walked out on for them just being bland and lame, Hagar, Loverboy and Def Leppard.

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Another case in point: this is exactly why both slave SESH and slave FORD will never ever amount to anything culturally. They both live in a bubble of monoculturism and suburban sterility.

Albums of 1981 they never heard of:

New Musik - Anywhere
                          The Goat That Went "OM" - Can't Stop It
                          Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth
                          Tuxedomoon- Desire
                          Bauhaus - Mask
                          A Certain Radio - Early
                          The Gist - Embrace The Heard
                          The Necessaries - Event Horizon
                          The Sound - From The Lion's Mouth
                          The Raybeats - Guitar Beat
                          Romeo Void - It's a Condition
                          Durutti Column - LC
                          The DB's - Like This
                          Bush Tetras - Rituals
                          Gang of Four - Solid Gold
                          Martha & The Muffins - This is The Ice Age

And do you know why they never heard of them? Because they are readers (and subscribers) of Tiger Beat Magazine, that's why.

And...

Their lives are so boring they never do drugs. Now in August I'm planning on doing a lot more drugs, heavier drugs that will most likely land my F A T in the E.R. and revisiting these records (all which I have on the original vinyl) all from 1981 and all of them sound fucking great. All of you wish you were 1/1000 as cool as me. So yeah, fuck your corporate rock hippie shit and get wasted. I'm going to take some shit masturbate to my 1981 Kim Wild fantasy (not the 2021 versh of Kimmey because she's old and gross) because that's around the time her acne cleared up.

Don't talk shop, finger pop

Enjoy

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Well it's nice to have a hobby.

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

I bet you have every page of your Tiger Beat collection laminated.

Comment

Working...