Billy Sheehan Speaks on How Van Halen's David Lee Roth Treated Musicians He Hired

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Billy Sheehan Speaks on How Van Halen's David Lee Roth Treated Musicians He Hired

"This is true. Dave was very, very smart and I love him dearly. It was his bat and ball, it was his game, it was his thing. He did it right, he treated us very well, and we had a great time on that tour.

"And mostly ideas of anything that you see that is cool or clever or interesting, were Dave's ideas. That's just the way he is, quite a talent in many respects.

"And I love his voice too but I'm forever grateful to him for giving me the break he did and doing that band with him and working with Steve Vai, Gregg Bissonette, and Brett Tuggle also. Just dear, dear friends of mine and wonderful supremely talented people.

"We did it with a tongue-in-cheek comedy too, we didn't want to just go: 'Hey, watch this stuff.'

"As a matter of fact, the solos we did in the show, the first couple shows I'd go out and do my bass solo, Steve would do his solo later in the set, and we'd end the show.

"About two or three shows in, Dave called me and Steve and he goes, 'You know, the solo thing, it's not working for me.' 'Oh, what does that mean? ' He goes, 'It should be like a giant tractor pull, like, you guys battle it out!

"So, Steve, you go start, Bill, you run up behind him, grab his guitar and mute it, push him aside, and you play, and Steve, you push...' And he orchestrated the whole battle thing, it was Dave's idea completely. We did it and people went crazy!

"Like I said before about a bass solo, you want it to be musical but also in a live show, you want some entertainment.

"You're there not see somebody staring at his shoes, playing his amazing augmented diminished cemented chords, and everything.

"So when we did that, it was supremely entertaining and funny and fun. And Steve and I had a blast doing it. And it worked, so thanks to Dave, he created quite an entity with that."

More at https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news...eft_talas.html
  • Jérôme Frenchise
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Nov 2004

Too bad there is no pro-shot video footage of those shows.
    Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 08-05-2021, 04:06 AM.
    posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
    posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Frat boy rock.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
        Too bad there is no pro-shot video footage of those shows.
        Sad thing is that it probably does exist. Just never has been released... like all the pro-shot Van HALEN shows. Damned if I know why.... Dave obviously loves performing for the camera, so it can't be that he doesn't want to see himself on the screen.

There are clips out there from the Skycrapper tour, but of course Sheehan was out of the band by then. If that was filmed, I'd really find it hard to believe the Eat Em & Smile tour wasn't.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
          Sad thing is that it probably does exist. Just never has been released... like all the pro-shot Van HALEN shows. Damned if I know why.... Dave obviously loves performing for the camera, so it can't be that he doesn't want to see himself on the screen.

There are clips out there from the Skycrapper tour, but of course Sheehan was out of the band by then. If that was filmed, I'd really find it hard to believe the Eat Em & Smile tour wasn't.
          Dave was probably busy living in the moment and focused on the shows, videos and all that. today we are obsessed about taking video of everything. not so much in those days.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
            Frat boy rock.
            Was that playing during the gangbang?

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

It was playing during the beer bong enema. A loaded frat house starts to look like a demented medical ward.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...