Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Eddie Van Halen's Guitar Tech Tom Weber Restrings and Sets Up an EVH Frankie

Tom Weber stopped by Five Star Guitars to demonstrate the tools, techniques, and philosophies of setting up guitars for the world's biggest guitar heroes. Eddie Van Halen, C.C. DeVille, and many other six string stars have relied on Tom's expertise, consistency, and efficiency to get their instruments performance-ready while out on tour.
    In this video, Tom restrings a limited edition custom shop Frankie. Throughout the process, Tom shares his time-saving techniques and go-to tools for getting the job done quickly. He patiently explains his approach to matching an instrument's setup to the player, providing reliable intonation and playability, and goes through each part of the process in-depth.
    As Tom skillfully works through the setup, he shares his thoughts on component upgrades, tuner peg-head wrapping strategies, and even goes so far as to explain why gravity is an important consideration when tuning guitars for his artists!
    Shot from multiple angles and close-up views, this tutorial is sure to inspire you to take your setup skills to the next level.
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

So we blame him for CC DeVille?
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

That did stand out a bit.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The main reason for me watching this was I wondered how he stretched strings and if there was a better way to do it.

I was not disappointed.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

I just tug the shit out of new strings but if you were restringing a bunch of guitars that tool would be nice. I just went to locking tuners, a brass nut and a Wilkinson trem. Stays in tune great and is less of a pain in the ass than a Floyd.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yeah doing 2 or 3 guitars before a gig can be a bit sore on your fingers after a while, I've ordered the tool for about $20 from EBay.

I have to say being a guitar tech would not appeal to me as a job that much. The amount of string changing those guys have to do on a big tour would do my head in especially if it was a floating trem guy you were working for...

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Nobody likes changing strings. It’s great to get tips from a pro though. It’s all about knowledge and tools. Fortunately a T handle hex wrench isn’t that expensive.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Floating trems are no big deal if you stick with the same strings and tunings. The only thing bad about them is everything goes out if you break a string and if you rest your hand too hard on the bridge they can go a bit sharp. I can play a Yngwie Malmsteen Strat and not go sharp but a more heavy handed person might have a problem with the scalloped fretboard and floating trem. Some people play so hard they wear down stainless steel frets.

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

It's all about family...that is what makes it so powerful.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                    ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

That was pretty comprehensive...
                    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Working...