Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I think it was definitely a naive mistake for Dave to play warm up shows in Vegas before the Crue tour. You don't get to do that now not with phone video and YouTube.

Most of the negative comments stem from his worst performances from the smaller shows where the audio came from a phone recording the monitor output and backline because he was so close to the stage in a small venue. The worse the recording/performance the more likely it is to go viral and for lots of people to see it. It's just not a good idea.

No one is saying he's perfect but the stuff from the Kiss shows seemed ok and most reviews were fine.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

One bit of good news for Vince is that even with California reducing the legal blood alcohol limit from 0.1 to 0.08 for a DUI, Vince's massive increase in body weight could allow him to now drink Razzle killing amounts but stay legal...

this assumes he was about 100 lbs back in the day and is now 240+
      Last edited by Seshmeister; 09-09-2021, 08:25 PM.

Comment

• Von Halen
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister

No one is saying he's perfect but the stuff from the Kiss shows seemed ok and most reviews were fine.
        Dave was piping in background vocals.

Comment

• nick500
          Groupie
          • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Terry
          I disagree that it makes a single lick of difference re: ticket sales as to who KISS has opening for them.

If KISS had ambitions to play larger venues, yeah, then I could see where they would want a name opening act. But with the size of the venues they are playing on this tour, David Lee Roth vs. whoever in terms of an opening act matters little to none in terms of the box office.

I would agree, which is to say I'd like to think, that Roth opening for KISS would sell a few more tickets than some performance artist painter opening for KISS, but clearly KISS doesn't think it's a deal-breaker in terms of those who are still inclined to see KISS live one way or the other.
          I don't think the ticket sales are going that well for KISS. Plenty of tickets available.
          Part of is probably due to Covid 19.

I suspect that Dave might have vocal nodes of some kind.

If not, sit down with a good vocal coach like Ken Tamplin and try to address the problem.

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I'd have to be convinced Dave even has any interest in performing at present and if so... based on what material?

Other than an opening act... or a Vegas residency... what other options does Dave have? Big question... does he have the motivation to pursue anything further musically or is he content sitting at home doodling..?

I believe Dave's at a crossroads with not a lot of big paved off-roads to choose from. His spot at the top of Rock's musical mountain is history and will never be an option again.

Does he have a functional compass..?
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

NIKKI SIXX 'Understands' Why DAVID LEE ROTH Turned Down MÖTLEY CRÜE Tour

Nikki Sixx says that he "understands" why David Lee Roth turned down an offer to take part in that MÖTLEY CRÜE's "The Stadium Tour".

In an article previewing Sixx's just-released book, "The First 21: How I Became Nikki Sixx", the Los Angeles Times revealed that when CRÜE invited Diamond Dave to share the bill with them on their highly anticipated reunion tour, the VAN HALEN singer responded, "I don't open for bands that I influenced."

Nikki discussed Roth's decision to decline CRÜE's invitation in a new interview with Forbes. He said: "Yeah, well, he probably influenced everybody. That band [VAN HALEN] is a monster. But, you know, understandably. We all get to make our choices and stuff. I just thought with the body of work that he has with a lot of people, it could be really exciting. I understand his position, too."

Sixx also once again took issue with how Roth's remarks were covered by the media, saying: "It's interesting for me now, when I do press, I'm really aware that a lot of press outlets are looking for clickbait. And what I like about 'The First 21' is I don't really feel like there's a lot of clickbait in there. Maybe that's a bad thing because, you know, you click on the link and someone gets five cents in advertising. I don't want to sell advertising. I want to sell an experience of what these first 21 years are about. So I tried to be very honest, and 'this is kind of how it is,' but no [cheap] shots."

Sixx previously blasted the press for sensationalizing his revelation that Roth turned down the CRÜE tour, writing on Twitter: "Media takes one sentence outta new book and makes it a headline. Clickbait. I've comes to despise bottom feeder press. Ripping off fans to sell advertisements.."

Back in October 2019, Roth reflected on the influence of VAN HALEN on bands that followed, telling KKLZ's "The Mike & Carla Morning Show": "Hair bands were the imitations of VAN HALEN. Yeah, it is true, and spandex was what they came up with as something visual. I started off in leather, with the same haircut that Bono and [Bruce] Springsteen and the guys in METALLICA had. A famous haircut — if I had that same haircut today, it'd have its own Instagram. But VAN HALEN was a '70s band — we started off in 1972, and our first two albums were in the '70s. We sold our first 10 million records before the '70s were over. We spawned a whole lot of imitators who resorted to gimmickry and trade crap. It's easier to imitate a haircut and a kind of pants and to exhibit bad behavior."

"The Stadium Tour", which also features POISON and JOAN JETT & THE BLACKHEARTS, was originally scheduled to take place last summer but ended up being pushed back to 2021, and then to 2022, due to the coronavirus crisis.

When it happens, "The Stadium Tour" will mark the CRÜE's first live dates since wrapping its 2014/2015 farewell tour. CRÜE toured with POISON back in 2011 and DEF LEPPARD teamed up with POISON for a string of road dates in 2017 — but the upcoming jaunt marks the first time all four acts have hit the road together for an extended tour.

Roth performed as the opening act for the February/March 2020 North American leg of KISS's farewell tour, but is not making any appearances on the rescheduled KISS shows which kicked off on August 18 in Mansfield, Massachusetts.

In March 2020, Roth postponed the final six shows of his Las Vegas residency due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Earlier this month, the legendary VAN HALEN singer announced that he was ending his career with his Vegas shows during the first weeks of January. "I am throwing in the shoes. I'm retiring," Roth told the Las Vegas Review-Journal. "These are my last five shows."

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                Vince's massive increase in body weight could allow him to now drink Razzle killing amounts but stay legal...

God damn it, that is not body weight, that is irreversible liver damage due to excessive alcohol abuse.

Vince is lying to himself that he has gained weight but that is severe liver damage. Fucker drank his shitty life away.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                  I'd have to be convinced Dave even has any interest in performing at present and if so... based on what material?

Other than an opening act... or a Vegas residency... what other options does Dave have? Big question... does he have the motivation to pursue anything further musically or is he content sitting at home doodling..?

I believe Dave's at a crossroads with not a lot of big paved off-roads to choose from. His spot at the top of Rock's musical mountain is history and will never be an option again.

Does he have a functional compass..?
                  Yeah he has a compass. He said he’s retiring. Retirement is the direction he’s moving in.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                    It could well be that Roth either quit or asked too high a fee for the opening slot and Gene just said what he did about Roth as a case of sour grapes or saving face or whatever...

I mean, truth be told, having Roth open for the band probably doesn't make one iota of difference in terms of attendance for the KISS shows. Thus, why pay whatever fee Roth was asking for if it seems unreasonably high?
                    Yup. I think Dave is smart to bail out now because his high point was that last VH tour. He gave it his best and Eddie playing extremely well made up for Dave’s shot voice. Hell Dave made his mark almost a half century ago. A lot of time has gone under the bridge since the 70’s.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                      Most of the people attending these shows are trying to relive their youth, or they simply want to post on social media and be able to say they saw whatever band it is they are seeing.
                      Pretty much.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                        I tend to agree... but previously there was that underlying friction and competitive... I'll show you... arrogance that fueled a fire between Ed and Dave. Perspective has changed significantly forever. Dave's messaging has taken a different reflective tone voiced in his art work.

I get the feeling some major wind was taken out of Dave's sails...
                        Dave left Van Halen because he thought he could go solo. He did ok. What shot Dave and the others down was grunge. The 90’s became a whole other thing. Then MP3’s and downloading killed the whole recorded music industry.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

The bottom line is there isn’t the money in music there used to be. It used to be you could be set for life on one hit song. But that whole thing we grew up in is dead now. It was fun while it lasted.

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                            Dave left Van Halen because he thought he could go solo. He did ok. What shot Dave and the others down was grunge. The 90’s became a whole other thing. Then MP3’s and downloading killed the whole recorded music industry.
                            Bill Clinton's Telecommunications Act of 1996 is what killed the recording industry. Just like it killed radio, TV, etc. It allowed for corporate consolidation to the ridiculous point where you have 3 companies controlling all of the above. Hell, one of these days Scumcast will probably buy Clear Channel radio, and then they'll literally run all of those industries. UMG (Scumcast) owns the back catalogs of most rock bands you can think of. Beatles.... Stones....Queen.....U2....Rush..... Elvis Presley.....Nirvana... hell, it would probably take less time to mention the bands they DON'T have. Ironically, they only have one Van Halen album, the last one.

ironically they only got one Van Halen album, the last one.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Von Halen
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Dave left Van Halen because he thought he could go solo. He did ok.
                              Ego. "Crazy From The Heat" went to his head.

What shot Dave and the others down was grunge. The 90’s became a whole other thing.
                              To me, that's an excuse. To me, Dave shot Dave down. Most of his solo material couldn't stand the test of time. Some of it has, but for the most part, it hasn't. If Dave had remained in Van Halen, grunge wouldn't have impacted him at all. Van Halen had chemistry. They could write or cover virtually anything, and it was magical. Dave never found that chemistry and magic with anyone else.

Then MP3’s and downloading killed the whole recorded music industry.
                              Except for Country and Rap. They seem to still be able to sell.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                                Ego. "Crazy From The Heat" went to his head.

To me, that's an excuse. To me, Dave shot Dave down. Most of his solo material couldn't stand the test of time. Some of it has, but for the most part, it hasn't. If Dave had remained in Van Halen, grunge wouldn't have impacted him at all. Van Halen had chemistry. They could write or cover virtually anything, and it was magical. Dave never found that chemistry and magic with anyone else.

Except for Country and Rap. They seem to still be able to sell.
                                I doubt CFTH went to Dave's head.

It was a project for him. No different than Ed and his noodling with Brain May, doing up a solo for MJ, making music for one of Val's TV movies or the Wild Life.

I believe it was Dave's intention to continue with VH. But the situation with the brothers was so volatile, and with the firing of both Monk and Templeman....he also probably felt he was losing some control within the band.

So he bailed. And that was it. I don't think it was simply due to the success of CFTH.
                                =V V=
                                ole No.1 The finest
                                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Working...