Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

As to Roth turning down an opening slot on the Motley Crue tour (assuming such a tour actually happens)...as to why Dave would turn down the slot.

I dunno.

I dunno where Dave's career goes from here.

Vinnie Velvet mentioned an often over the years fan-discussed EEAS reunion. But at this point, to what effect? Even just in terms of the live vocal end, if Dave can't essay the Van Halen material well onstage it's going to be the same result with the EEAS stuff: competent instrumentation and subpar lead vocals. Plus, with an EEAS reunion, doubtless Vai and Sheehan would expect a bigger cut of the take and more input on the content than a bunch of nobodies who Dave can pay (and treat) as salaried employees. I don't think an EEAS reunion happens: if it hasn't happened in the several years since that attempted one-off gig that didn't end up coming off, it probably won't.

Dave as a headlining live act just doesn't have a drawing power to fill large venues. And even as a solo supporting act, I'd agree with Vinnie Velvet that Roth realistically wouldn't go onstage and do a set without at least half of it being comprised of CVH material. I tend to doubt Roth suddenly has compunctions about performing Van Halen material live specifically because Eddie has passed on, though. I mean, I suppose he might in terms of it being possible. I don't know Roth. I don't know what his mindset is or how hard Eddie's passing hit him. But assumedly had Roth continued opening up for KISS when their tour resumed, [Roth's setlist] would have been as heavy on the CVH tunes as it had been in the early months of 2020 in the KISS tour opening slot...and it's not as if Roth isn't doing the KISS tour now because [Roth] doesn't want to perform CVH songs out of respect for Eddie, right?

Personally, I don't think Roth disrespects Eddie solely by continuing to perform CVH material after Eddie has passed away. I think Roth disrespects the material by performing it badly. Oddly enough, though, I don't think Roth or Vince Neil disrespect the fans by continuing to perform at a substandard level: by now, fans of both singers well know what these guys have left to bring to the stage at this point in their careers...if the fans continue to shell out their money for that diminished level of performance, well, at some point (and we are far, far past that point by now) the fans lose their credibility to bitch about how shitty these guys perform. Simply put, stop enabling these aging rock stars by continuing to giving them money. Otherwise, it's on the fans.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

lol

This is the device Vince is using. Gimmick!

EMSCULPT NEO is the first and only non-invasive body shaping procedure that provides simultaneous fat elimination and muscle building in a combined 30-minute session.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

If that picture Kristy posted was recent, I don't think the device is working very well.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Vince could at least be using a Shake Weight while he's got that thing strapped to his belly
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Supposedly Sixx has threatened to fire Neil and bring Corabi back

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Get his F A T ass a Thighmaster next! Maybe an Ab Roller!

Comment

• Von Halen
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Terry

Personally, I don't think Roth disrespects Eddie solely by continuing to perform CVH material after Eddie has passed away. I think Roth disrespects the material by performing it badly. Oddly enough, though, I don't think Roth or Vince Neil disrespect the fans by continuing to perform at a substandard level: by now, fans of both singers well know what these guys have left to bring to the stage at this point in their careers...if the fans continue to shell out their money for that diminished level of performance, well, at some point (and we are far, far past that point by now) the fans lose their credibility to bitch about how shitty these guys perform. Simply put, stop enabling these aging rock stars by continuing to giving them money. Otherwise, it's on the fans.
                  Most of the people attending these shows are trying to relive their youth, or they simply want to post on social media and be able to say they saw whatever band it is they are seeing.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Von Halen
                    Most of the people attending these shows are trying to relive their youth, or they simply want to post on social media and be able to say they saw whatever band it is they are seeing.
                    Which is maybe why they get so annoyed if the singer gets fat and looks like Vince Neil.

It's difficult to suspend disbelief when you are looking at that.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Dave actually did pretty good for those opening shows he did with KISS.

Certainly not any worse than tubby Vince Neil or even Paul Stanley who has to resort to pre-taped tracks for assistance.
                      =V V=
                      ole No.1 The finest
                      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                        Dave actually did pretty good for those opening shows he did with KISS.

Certainly not any worse than tubby Vince Neil or even Paul Stanley who has to resort to pre-taped tracks for assistance.
                        I agree with a lot of what Gene has had to say lately, but there is no way Roth was "fired" for underperforming when he knows damn well they are using backing vocals and tracks. Roth either quit or he was too expensive so they went to the the painter...

"And now the biggest band in the world, KISSSS!!!'

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                          I certainly get someone seeing one of these aging rock acts for the nostalgia factor, but for me that only works if the band can still do justice to the material live: when Roth could no longer cut it onstage, from my vantage point continuing to go see him wasn't going to satisfy the nostalgia factor.

Sort of along the lines of what Sesh said regarding Vince Neil, in that I personally am confused as to how seeing Vince Neil in the condition he is in now (both physically and vocally)...how exactly is that reminding anybody of when Vince and Motley Crue were at their best 30-40 years ago? Again, if people want to settle for that level of professionalism or performance, frankly they deserve to pay good money for a shit show.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                            I agree with a lot of what Gene has had to say lately, but there is no way Roth was "fired" for underperforming when he knows damn well they are using backing vocals and tracks. Roth either quit or he was too expensive so they went to the the painter...

"And now the biggest band in the world, KISSSS!!!'
                            It could well be that Roth either quit or asked too high a fee for the opening slot and Gene just said what he did about Roth as a case of sour grapes or saving face or whatever...

I mean, truth be told, having Roth open for the band probably doesn't make one iota of difference in terms of attendance for the KISS shows. Thus, why pay whatever fee Roth was asking for if it seems unreasonably high?
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Once again we're left guessing because the public figure we choose to have a continued interest in... is anything but a public figure.

Ki$$ bundled with David Lee Roth sells more tickets than Ki$$ and some oddball painter thing... whatever cost Roth commanded would have benefitted both Ki$$, Roth and the promoters with higher gross sales.

Dave choosing not to tour at this time comes down to just a handful of reasons... first and foremost is Dave up to it physically and/or mentally? There's his age/health, who knows... and also where's his head & heart at due to Edward's passing..?

Could the COVID pandemic risks outweigh his need or desire to publicly get out and perform? If ya don't need the paycheck or attention... why go through the bother..?

All that could be no factor and it's just a logistical matter of not having a backing band available to get back to work at this time.

Maybe we'll get a clue in deeply hidden in his next painting... Where's Waldo..?
                              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Terry
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

I disagree that it makes a single lick of difference re: ticket sales as to who KISS has opening for them.

If KISS had ambitions to play larger venues, yeah, then I could see where they would want a name opening act. But with the size of the venues they are playing on this tour, David Lee Roth vs. whoever in terms of an opening act matters little to none in terms of the box office.

I would agree, which is to say I'd like to think, that Roth opening for KISS would sell a few more tickets than some performance artist painter opening for KISS, but clearly KISS doesn't think it's a deal-breaker in terms of those who are still inclined to see KISS live one way or the other.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...