Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

DLR Turned Down Spot On Motley Crue Tour

David Lee Roth Turned Down Spot on Motley Crue’s Stadium Tour

For 'The Stadium Tour,' featuring Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Poison and Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, Motley Crue had previously extended an invite to Van Halen icon David Lee Roth to join the run, but the singer declined.

News of Roth's potential inclusion came via Los Angeles Times, who, in a fall preview of all the exciting things happening in music, singled out the pending release of Motley Crue bassist Nikki Sixx's memoir, The First 21: How I Became Nikki Sixx. They also made note of next's year's highly-anticipated reunion run and that Roth had been asked to join, but rejected the opportunity and told Sixx, "I don't open for bands that I influenced."

The Los Angeles Times did not clarify when Motley Crue had reached out to Roth and whether that was the original intent before 'The Stadium Tour' had been announced in 2020 or if that ask came later on as the dates were being rescheduled for 2021 and again for 2022 following another pandemic-related postponement. Very little is known about what went on behind the scenes as the tour package was being assembled.

Roth last joined KISS on the road as a special guest in 2020 on their ongoing farewell tour. It's doubtful that will happen again however, as Gene Simmons, who later apologized, hurdled some less than praiseworthy comments in Roth's direction through the press.

“It bears noting that during Dave’s heyday, nobody did what he did. He was the ultimate frontman. Not [Robert] Plant, not Rod Stewart, nobody. He took being a frontman way beyond anything," Simmons told Rolling Stone before he continued, "And then, I don’t know what happened to him … something. And you get modern-day Dave. I prefer to remember Elvis Presley in his prime. Sneering lips, back in Memphis, you know, doing all that. I don’t want to think of bloated naked Elvis on the bathroom floor."

Roth, in turn, shot back by uploading 18 of the same image of a child raising the middle finger with text on the image that read, "Roth to Simmons," on Instagram.

Simmons then issued an apology and said that he did not mean to hurt Roth's feelings.

https://loudwire.com/david-lee-roth-...VEKXOqPeURPuu4
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries
    Nothing has been said about this... but a thought I had was possibly Dave may not feel comfortable performing Van Halen material currently due to Ed's passing. Quite possible his recent cover band may have issues with this also.

Prior to his last live outing, Dave did make a rather flippant declaration that he's now "the face of Van Halen"... seemed typical Dave back then but learning that Ed was on his death bed at the time it's doesn't lend well to being very cool...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

I think it's true though that he has never supported a band that came in the wake of his career high point which is probably pretty rare for someone who went solo.

Even when he was doing Monsters of Rock in the late 1980s it was only KI$$ and ACDC that were ever above him on the bill. Only other one I can think of is Bad Company in the late 1990s and they predate Van Halen too.

I'm looking through stats here and I'm pretty sure that Dave has sold more studio albums in the 21st Century than Def Leppard Motley Crue and Poison combined.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-28-2022 @ 12:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Roth is better off doing his own shows in Vegas
    Last edited by wolfsbane; 08-31-2021 at 10:54 PM.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I think Dave knows he will just have a real hard time singing VH songs now that Ed is gone.

I dont expect to see Dave anytime soon. And he can't do a show without any VH songs.

The only way he could possibly get away with that is if there is an EEAS reunion (a show with just tracks from EEAS and Skyscraper).

Other than that I dont think we will be seeing Dave for a while.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,982 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    I think Dave knows he will just have a real hard time singing VH songs now that Ed is gone.
    I don't think he would think twice about it.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

In his career he has spent more time singing those hits solo than he did in Van Halen.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here is a stat for you, Roth has sung Jump and Panama live with Van Halen 254 times, he's done that solo 682 times.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    I don't think he would think twice about it.
    I tend to agree... but previously there was that underlying friction and competitive... I'll show you... arrogance that fueled a fire between Ed and Dave. Perspective has changed significantly forever. Dave's messaging has taken a different reflective tone voiced in his art work.

I get the feeling some major wind was taken out of Dave's sails...

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Here is a stat for you, Roth has sung Jump and Panama live with Van Halen 254 times, he's done that solo 682 times.
    Understandable.

Those songs were on the last album and tour he did with VH for a long time.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 2,054 Posts

Blog Entries
    Oh, I'll say it. Look at this wreckage of a human being. He's a fucking drunken slob, with chronic and irreversible ascites liver damage. He spent any money he might of made on liquor ans stale pussy over the years. He's touring off of nostalgia and stupid fans who vote for people like DeSantis and Abbot. I will say Roth has kept in remarkable shape for his age and has cut out a lot of his rock star vices. The only commonalty between then is that both their voices can peel pain off of concrete. Again, just look at this F A T fuck. Unless you are that desperate for money, why tour with this at all?

12. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Jetstream (09-04-2021)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I was amazed at how many albums Motley Crue have apparently sold worldwide over the years though, apparently it's 100 million. I think they are one of those artists like Billy Idol or Abba where their compilation albums sold big time.

Even a fuckup like Vince can't piss away that much cash just on alimony, booze and cars. Cocaine would have taken care of his 1980s money but they have had enough tour receipts in the last decade to be comfortable.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Even a fuckup like Vince can't piss away that much cash just on alimony, booze and cars.
    $2.5 million to the courts for the vehicular manslaughter charge...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I remember reading the quote at the time, it was something like 'I've been told I won't be going to jail for long as we have put a bunch of money in the right places.'

And he was right.

30 days for killing Razzle and seriously fucking up 2 other people? He was DUI doing 65 in a 25 mph residential street. I was young at the time but even then remember wondering how corrupt the system was,,,
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 09-04-2021 at 09:24 PM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Grow...7595834253278/

Vincent Neil Wharton, lead singer for the heavy-metal band Motley Crue, is known to his fans as a hard-driving rock 'n' roller who once bragged that he drank a case of beer and a half a fifth of gin on his days off.
    He is no longer bragging.
    Seven months after the 23-year-old Redondo Beach resident was arrested after an automobile accident that killed a fellow musician and left two other people seriously injured, Wharton, along with other group members, has taken a public stand against alcohol abuse and, more specifically, drinking and driving.
    Under a plea-bargain arrangement reached last week by Wharton and the accident victims, the group's new message is likely to be repeated often in coming months.
    Pleads Guilty
    Wharton, who uses the stage name Vince Neil, on Wednesday pleaded guilty to charges of vehicular manslaughter and drunk driving stemming from an accident Dec. 8 on the Esplanade in Redondo Beach.
    The singer, accompanied to the South Bay Municipal Courthouse in Torrance by his girlfriend, entered the plea after the Los Angeles County district attorney's office agreed not to seek a prison term for Wharton, provided he does community service while on probation and makes restitution to the surviving victims and to the dead musician's family.
    Commissioner Francis J. Hourigan ordered Wharton to return to court on Sept. 20 for sentencing after the county Probation Department completes a report on how much money the victims are entitled to and what types of service the singer should perform.
    Superior Court Judge Edward A. Hinz Jr. is not bound by the agreement but is expected to approve it, according to Deputy Dist. Atty. Roger Kelly. Wharton could have received a maximum prison sentence of four years and eight months, the prosecutor said, and if he violates the conditions of his probation he still could face prison.
    Head-On Collision
    Wharton was arrested Dec. 8 after his red, 1972 Ford Pantera went out of control in the 600 block of the Esplanade and collided head-on with a Volkswagen. His passenger, 24-year-old Nicholas Dingley, a drummer for the band Hanoi Rocks, was killed. The driver of the other car, Daniel L. Smithers, 20, of Hermosa Beach, and his passenger, 18-year-old Lisa Hogan of Rancho Palos Verdes, both suffered severe head injuries.
    Investigators said Wharton, who had only minor injuries, registered a .17 blood-alcohol count after the accident. A driver is considered legally intoxicated at the .10 level.
    After entering his plea, Wharton, on the advice of his attorneys, declined to be interviewed. Outside the courtroom, according to Lisa's Hogan's mother, Lynn Hogan, Wharton walked up to her daughter and said, "I'm very sorry this happened. I have been praying for you."
    During the court proceeding, Hourigan cautioned the lawyers representing the victims that while they could submit recommendations to a probation officer on how much restitution they believe their clients are entitled to, and what probation conditions they feel should be placed on Wharton, the final decision rests with Hinz.
    Civil Suits
    If the victims are not satisfied with the judge's decision, their attorneys could attempt to collect more money through civil suits already filed. The suits do not specify dollar amounts.
    Kelly told the commissioner that both of the victims understood and agreed that if Wharton is to make restitution, he "must be free and have the ability to perform in rock concerts."
    As for community service, he said, the singer and his band have already scheduled a concert for Aug. 24 at the Forum in Inglewood to benefit the Palmer Drug Abuse Program, Los Angeles Inc. Smithers is employed by Palmer.
    Lynn Hogan said after the hearing that she will request that Wharton spend time with people who are receiving therapy for brain injuries. Her daughter was in a coma for 28 days after the accident and is still receiving treatment, she said.
    "I think it would be very difficult for someone to go into one of these wards and come out the same type of person," she said. "It would be hard to sit with these kids that are trying so hard with therapy and keep the attitude that you want to drink and drive."
    Forbid Alcohol
    Hogan added that she would probably also request that Wharton be forbidden to drink alcohol while on probation.
    Smithers' attorney, Stuart Fest, said that he, too, believes Wharton should be required to spend time with people undergoing therapy for head injuries. He added that the attorneys' decision not to seek jail time for Wharton probably boiled down to a value judgment.
    "Frankly, it's a tough one, morally," he said. "I know Dan Smithers had to struggle with his emotions that said Neil should be punished to the full extent of the law. Neil owes two debts--one to society, and the other to the victims. If society extracts its fullest punishment, he can't pay his other debt."
    Wharton's publicist, Bryn Bridenthal, said the accident has had a profound effect on the singer, whose boast about heavy alcohol use came in a 1984 interview. "I've observed a lot of changes," she said. "He seems more subdued and disciplined. . . . I feel he has really been traumatized by this. He gets depressed easily."
    Bridenthal said the entire rock band is already involved in the effort to tell their fans about the dangers of drinking and driving. "They're not saying to people, 'Don't drink,' but they are saying 'Don't drive and drink. Don't be an idiot,' " she said.
    One sign of the Los Angeles-based group's effort appears on the inner sleeve its latest album, "Theatre of Pain." The sleeve reads: "To All Crue Fans: If and/or when you drink--Don't take the wheel. Live and learn."

Vinnie Warts got another 2 DUI convictions after this...

As I remember the girl who was put in a coma for a month and her boyfriend aren't shown or mentioned much if at all in 'The Dirt' movie, as that would have been a bit of a bummer.

Razzle I guess has to take a bit of responsibility for getting into a car with a pretty drunk guy but he wasn't to know the little prick was going to start driving at those speeds. I could make a strong argument that Hanoi Rocks were a much better and certainly more original band than Crue ever could be. It's a bit weird to me how popular Crue are among young people these days and I say that as someone who liked their 2 good songs on each album...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    As to Roth turning down an opening slot on the Motley Crue tour (assuming such a tour actually happens)...as to why Dave would turn down the slot.

I dunno.

I dunno where Dave's career goes from here.

Vinnie Velvet mentioned an often over the years fan-discussed EEAS reunion. But at this point, to what effect? Even just in terms of the live vocal end, if Dave can't essay the Van Halen material well onstage it's going to be the same result with the EEAS stuff: competent instrumentation and subpar lead vocals. Plus, with an EEAS reunion, doubtless Vai and Sheehan would expect a bigger cut of the take and more input on the content than a bunch of nobodies who Dave can pay (and treat) as salaried employees. I don't think an EEAS reunion happens: if it hasn't happened in the several years since that attempted one-off gig that didn't end up coming off, it probably won't.

Dave as a headlining live act just doesn't have a drawing power to fill large venues. And even as a solo supporting act, I'd agree with Vinnie Velvet that Roth realistically wouldn't go onstage and do a set without at least half of it being comprised of CVH material. I tend to doubt Roth suddenly has compunctions about performing Van Halen material live specifically because Eddie has passed on, though. I mean, I suppose he might in terms of it being possible. I don't know Roth. I don't know what his mindset is or how hard Eddie's passing hit him. But assumedly had Roth continued opening up for KISS when their tour resumed, [Roth's setlist] would have been as heavy on the CVH tunes as it had been in the early months of 2020 in the KISS tour opening slot...and it's not as if Roth isn't doing the KISS tour now because [Roth] doesn't want to perform CVH songs out of respect for Eddie, right?

Personally, I don't think Roth disrespects Eddie solely by continuing to perform CVH material after Eddie has passed away. I think Roth disrespects the material by performing it badly. Oddly enough, though, I don't think Roth or Vince Neil disrespect the fans by continuing to perform at a substandard level: by now, fans of both singers well know what these guys have left to bring to the stage at this point in their careers...if the fans continue to shell out their money for that diminished level of performance, well, at some point (and we are far, far past that point by now) the fans lose their credibility to bitch about how shitty these guys perform. Simply put, stop enabling these aging rock stars by continuing to giving them money. Otherwise, it's on the fans.

18. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (09-06-2021)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

If that picture Kristy posted was recent, I don't think the device is working very well.

21. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-07-2021)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Vince could at least be using a Shake Weight while he's got that thing strapped to his belly

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Supposedly Sixx has threatened to fire Neil and bring Corabi back

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

25. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

FORD (09-06-2021)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Get his F A T ass a Thighmaster next! Maybe an Ab Roller!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

Personally, I don't think Roth disrespects Eddie solely by continuing to perform CVH material after Eddie has passed away. I think Roth disrespects the material by performing it badly. Oddly enough, though, I don't think Roth or Vince Neil disrespect the fans by continuing to perform at a substandard level: by now, fans of both singers well know what these guys have left to bring to the stage at this point in their careers...if the fans continue to shell out their money for that diminished level of performance, well, at some point (and we are far, far past that point by now) the fans lose their credibility to bitch about how shitty these guys perform. Simply put, stop enabling these aging rock stars by continuing to giving them money. Otherwise, it's on the fans.
    Most of the people attending these shows are trying to relive their youth, or they simply want to post on social media and be able to say they saw whatever band it is they are seeing.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Most of the people attending these shows are trying to relive their youth, or they simply want to post on social media and be able to say they saw whatever band it is they are seeing.
    Which is maybe why they get so annoyed if the singer gets fat and looks like Vince Neil.

It's difficult to suspend disbelief when you are looking at that.

29. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-07-2021)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dave actually did pretty good for those opening shows he did with KISS.

Certainly not any worse than tubby Vince Neil or even Paul Stanley who has to resort to pre-taped tracks for assistance.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Dave actually did pretty good for those opening shows he did with KISS.

Certainly not any worse than tubby Vince Neil or even Paul Stanley who has to resort to pre-taped tracks for assistance.
    I agree with a lot of what Gene has had to say lately, but there is no way Roth was "fired" for underperforming when he knows damn well they are using backing vocals and tracks. Roth either quit or he was too expensive so they went to the the painter...

"And now the biggest band in the world, KISSSS!!!'

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I certainly get someone seeing one of these aging rock acts for the nostalgia factor, but for me that only works if the band can still do justice to the material live: when Roth could no longer cut it onstage, from my vantage point continuing to go see him wasn't going to satisfy the nostalgia factor.

Sort of along the lines of what Sesh said regarding Vince Neil, in that I personally am confused as to how seeing Vince Neil in the condition he is in now (both physically and vocally)...how exactly is that reminding anybody of when Vince and Motley Crue were at their best 30-40 years ago? Again, if people want to settle for that level of professionalism or performance, frankly they deserve to pay good money for a shit show.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I agree with a lot of what Gene has had to say lately, but there is no way Roth was "fired" for underperforming when he knows damn well they are using backing vocals and tracks. Roth either quit or he was too expensive so they went to the the painter...

"And now the biggest band in the world, KISSSS!!!'
    It could well be that Roth either quit or asked too high a fee for the opening slot and Gene just said what he did about Roth as a case of sour grapes or saving face or whatever...

I mean, truth be told, having Roth open for the band probably doesn't make one iota of difference in terms of attendance for the KISS shows. Thus, why pay whatever fee Roth was asking for if it seems unreasonably high?

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Once again we're left guessing because the public figure we choose to have a continued interest in... is anything but a public figure.

Ki$$ bundled with David Lee Roth sells more tickets than Ki$$ and some oddball painter thing... whatever cost Roth commanded would have benefitted both Ki$$, Roth and the promoters with higher gross sales.

Dave choosing not to tour at this time comes down to just a handful of reasons... first and foremost is Dave up to it physically and/or mentally? There's his age/health, who knows... and also where's his head & heart at due to Edward's passing..?

Could the COVID pandemic risks outweigh his need or desire to publicly get out and perform? If ya don't need the paycheck or attention... why go through the bother..?

All that could be no factor and it's just a logistical matter of not having a backing band available to get back to work at this time.

Maybe we'll get a clue in deeply hidden in his next painting... Where's Waldo..?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I disagree that it makes a single lick of difference re: ticket sales as to who KISS has opening for them.

If KISS had ambitions to play larger venues, yeah, then I could see where they would want a name opening act. But with the size of the venues they are playing on this tour, David Lee Roth vs. whoever in terms of an opening act matters little to none in terms of the box office.

I would agree, which is to say I'd like to think, that Roth opening for KISS would sell a few more tickets than some performance artist painter opening for KISS, but clearly KISS doesn't think it's a deal-breaker in terms of those who are still inclined to see KISS live one way or the other.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think it was definitely a naive mistake for Dave to play warm up shows in Vegas before the Crue tour. You don't get to do that now not with phone video and YouTube.

Most of the negative comments stem from his worst performances from the smaller shows where the audio came from a phone recording the monitor output and backline because he was so close to the stage in a small venue. The worse the recording/performance the more likely it is to go viral and for lots of people to see it. It's just not a good idea.

No one is saying he's perfect but the stuff from the Kiss shows seemed ok and most reviews were fine.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

One bit of good news for Vince is that even with California reducing the legal blood alcohol limit from 0.1 to 0.08 for a DUI, Vince's massive increase in body weight could allow him to now drink Razzle killing amounts but stay legal...

this assumes he was about 100 lbs back in the day and is now 240+
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 09-09-2021 at 08:25 PM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No one is saying he's perfect but the stuff from the Kiss shows seemed ok and most reviews were fine.
    Dave was piping in background vocals.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I disagree that it makes a single lick of difference re: ticket sales as to who KISS has opening for them.

If KISS had ambitions to play larger venues, yeah, then I could see where they would want a name opening act. But with the size of the venues they are playing on this tour, David Lee Roth vs. whoever in terms of an opening act matters little to none in terms of the box office.

I would agree, which is to say I'd like to think, that Roth opening for KISS would sell a few more tickets than some performance artist painter opening for KISS, but clearly KISS doesn't think it's a deal-breaker in terms of those who are still inclined to see KISS live one way or the other.
    I don't think the ticket sales are going that well for KISS. Plenty of tickets available.
    Part of is probably due to Covid 19.

I suspect that Dave might have vocal nodes of some kind.

If not, sit down with a good vocal coach like Ken Tamplin and try to address the problem.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'd have to be convinced Dave even has any interest in performing at present and if so... based on what material?

Other than an opening act... or a Vegas residency... what other options does Dave have? Big question... does he have the motivation to pursue anything further musically or is he content sitting at home doodling..?

I believe Dave's at a crossroads with not a lot of big paved off-roads to choose from. His spot at the top of Rock's musical mountain is history and will never be an option again.

Does he have a functional compass..?

41. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (09-12-2021)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

NIKKI SIXX 'Understands' Why DAVID LEE ROTH Turned Down MÖTLEY CRÜE Tour

Nikki Sixx says that he "understands" why David Lee Roth turned down an offer to take part in that MÖTLEY CRÜE's "The Stadium Tour".

In an article previewing Sixx's just-released book, "The First 21: How I Became Nikki Sixx", the Los Angeles Times revealed that when CRÜE invited Diamond Dave to share the bill with them on their highly anticipated reunion tour, the VAN HALEN singer responded, "I don't open for bands that I influenced."

Nikki discussed Roth's decision to decline CRÜE's invitation in a new interview with Forbes. He said: "Yeah, well, he probably influenced everybody. That band [VAN HALEN] is a monster. But, you know, understandably. We all get to make our choices and stuff. I just thought with the body of work that he has with a lot of people, it could be really exciting. I understand his position, too."

Sixx also once again took issue with how Roth's remarks were covered by the media, saying: "It's interesting for me now, when I do press, I'm really aware that a lot of press outlets are looking for clickbait. And what I like about 'The First 21' is I don't really feel like there's a lot of clickbait in there. Maybe that's a bad thing because, you know, you click on the link and someone gets five cents in advertising. I don't want to sell advertising. I want to sell an experience of what these first 21 years are about. So I tried to be very honest, and 'this is kind of how it is,' but no [cheap] shots."

Sixx previously blasted the press for sensationalizing his revelation that Roth turned down the CRÜE tour, writing on Twitter: "Media takes one sentence outta new book and makes it a headline. Clickbait. I've comes to despise bottom feeder press. Ripping off fans to sell advertisements.."

Back in October 2019, Roth reflected on the influence of VAN HALEN on bands that followed, telling KKLZ's "The Mike & Carla Morning Show": "Hair bands were the imitations of VAN HALEN. Yeah, it is true, and spandex was what they came up with as something visual. I started off in leather, with the same haircut that Bono and [Bruce] Springsteen and the guys in METALLICA had. A famous haircut — if I had that same haircut today, it'd have its own Instagram. But VAN HALEN was a '70s band — we started off in 1972, and our first two albums were in the '70s. We sold our first 10 million records before the '70s were over. We spawned a whole lot of imitators who resorted to gimmickry and trade crap. It's easier to imitate a haircut and a kind of pants and to exhibit bad behavior."

"The Stadium Tour", which also features POISON and JOAN JETT & THE BLACKHEARTS, was originally scheduled to take place last summer but ended up being pushed back to 2021, and then to 2022, due to the coronavirus crisis.

When it happens, "The Stadium Tour" will mark the CRÜE's first live dates since wrapping its 2014/2015 farewell tour. CRÜE toured with POISON back in 2011 and DEF LEPPARD teamed up with POISON for a string of road dates in 2017 — but the upcoming jaunt marks the first time all four acts have hit the road together for an extended tour.

Roth performed as the opening act for the February/March 2020 North American leg of KISS's farewell tour, but is not making any appearances on the rescheduled KISS shows which kicked off on August 18 in Mansfield, Massachusetts.

In March 2020, Roth postponed the final six shows of his Las Vegas residency due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Earlier this month, the legendary VAN HALEN singer announced that he was ending his career with his Vegas shows during the first weeks of January. "I am throwing in the shoes. I'm retiring," Roth told the Las Vegas Review-Journal. "These are my last five shows."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/nikki-...ley-crue-tour/

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 2,054 Posts

Blog Entries
    Vince's massive increase in body weight could allow him to now drink Razzle killing amounts but stay legal...

God damn it, that is not body weight, that is irreversible liver damage due to excessive alcohol abuse.

Vince is lying to himself that he has gained weight but that is severe liver damage. Fucker drank his shitty life away.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I'd have to be convinced Dave even has any interest in performing at present and if so... based on what material?

Other than an opening act... or a Vegas residency... what other options does Dave have? Big question... does he have the motivation to pursue anything further musically or is he content sitting at home doodling..?

I believe Dave's at a crossroads with not a lot of big paved off-roads to choose from. His spot at the top of Rock's musical mountain is history and will never be an option again.

Does he have a functional compass..?
    Yeah he has a compass. He said he’s retiring. Retirement is the direction he’s moving in.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It could well be that Roth either quit or asked too high a fee for the opening slot and Gene just said what he did about Roth as a case of sour grapes or saving face or whatever...

I mean, truth be told, having Roth open for the band probably doesn't make one iota of difference in terms of attendance for the KISS shows. Thus, why pay whatever fee Roth was asking for if it seems unreasonably high?
    Yup. I think Dave is smart to bail out now because his high point was that last VH tour. He gave it his best and Eddie playing extremely well made up for Dave’s shot voice. Hell Dave made his mark almost a half century ago. A lot of time has gone under the bridge since the 70’s.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Pretty much.

Thread Information