Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I tend to agree... but previously there was that underlying friction and competitive... I'll show you... arrogance that fueled a fire between Ed and Dave. Perspective has changed significantly forever. Dave's messaging has taken a different reflective tone voiced in his art work.

I get the feeling some major wind was taken out of Dave's sails...
    Dave left Van Halen because he thought he could go solo. He did ok. What shot Dave and the others down was grunge. The 90’s became a whole other thing. Then MP3’s and downloading killed the whole recorded music industry.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    The bottom line is there isn’t the money in music there used to be. It used to be you could be set for life on one hit song. But that whole thing we grew up in is dead now. It was fun while it lasted.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Dave left Van Halen because he thought he could go solo. He did ok. What shot Dave and the others down was grunge. The 90’s became a whole other thing. Then MP3’s and downloading killed the whole recorded music industry.
    Bill Clinton's Telecommunications Act of 1996 is what killed the recording industry. Just like it killed radio, TV, etc. It allowed for corporate consolidation to the ridiculous point where you have 3 companies controlling all of the above. Hell, one of these days Scumcast will probably buy Clear Channel radio, and then they'll literally run all of those industries. UMG (Scumcast) owns the back catalogs of most rock bands you can think of. Beatles.... Stones....Queen.....U2....Rush..... Elvis Presley.....Nirvana... hell, it would probably take less time to mention the bands they DON'T have. Ironically, they only have one Van Halen album, the last one.

ironically they only got one Van Halen album, the last one.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (10-22-2021)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Dave left Van Halen because he thought he could go solo. He did ok.
    Ego. "Crazy From The Heat" went to his head.

What shot Dave and the others down was grunge. The 90’s became a whole other thing.
    To me, that's an excuse. To me, Dave shot Dave down. Most of his solo material couldn't stand the test of time. Some of it has, but for the most part, it hasn't. If Dave had remained in Van Halen, grunge wouldn't have impacted him at all. Van Halen had chemistry. They could write or cover virtually anything, and it was magical. Dave never found that chemistry and magic with anyone else.

Then MP3’s and downloading killed the whole recorded music industry.
    Except for Country and Rap. They seem to still be able to sell.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Ego. "Crazy From The Heat" went to his head.

To me, that's an excuse. To me, Dave shot Dave down. Most of his solo material couldn't stand the test of time. Some of it has, but for the most part, it hasn't. If Dave had remained in Van Halen, grunge wouldn't have impacted him at all. Van Halen had chemistry. They could write or cover virtually anything, and it was magical. Dave never found that chemistry and magic with anyone else.

Except for Country and Rap. They seem to still be able to sell.
    I doubt CFTH went to Dave's head.

It was a project for him. No different than Ed and his noodling with Brain May, doing up a solo for MJ, making music for one of Val's TV movies or the Wild Life.

I believe it was Dave's intention to continue with VH. But the situation with the brothers was so volatile, and with the firing of both Monk and Templeman....he also probably felt he was losing some control within the band.

So he bailed. And that was it. I don't think it was simply due to the success of CFTH.

7. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (10-22-2021)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post

It was a project for him. No different than Ed and his noodling with Brain May, doing up a solo for MJ, making music for one of Val's TV movies or the Wild Life.

I believe it was Dave's intention to continue with VH. But the situation with the brothers was so volatile, and with the firing of both Monk and Templeman....he also probably felt he was losing some control within the band.

So he bailed. And that was it. I don't think it was simply due to the success of CFTH.
    I'd tend to agree, in that there's nothing on CFTH that could be construed as being stylistically similar to what Van Halen were doing.

Roth leaving the group in 1985 seems like it was more a case of Roth and the Van Halens just finally reaching the end of their respective ropes with each other, and tensions that had existed from way back when Roth first joined the group becoming steadily exacerbated over the years...probably accelerated once the band started becoming successful. As long as Roth and the Van Halens were on the same page musically, the show went on. Come spring 1985 when the rehearsal process for the follow up album to 1984 broke down - when Roth and the Van Halens weren't on the same page just in terms of the music - it was over.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    In terms of Roth's solo career, A Little Ain't Enough was released at the beginning of 1991. The album and the tour generated a lukewarm response before anybody had even heard of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, or Soundgarden.

I think with the lead single off that album - the title track - and the promo video...at the time, I was pretty lukewarm about it. I remember thinking neither the single nor the video...they both came off as "been there, seen/heard that before from Roth"...his solo career by the time ALAE was released had already peaked commercially three years prior. Perhaps for no other reason than nobody stays hot forever. Roth had his time, and that time was basically the 1980s. Which isn't to say I haven't enjoyed the stuff he has put out post ALAE, but there's obviously a difference between my own enjoyment as a fairly avid fan and that of the general public.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Not only grunge but bands like Metallica, Megadeth and Guns N' Roses with huge success of their albums Master of Puppets, Rust In Peace and Appetite for Destruction played big part why heavier and angstier music became popular. And Dave was all about having fun. Then grunge was the last nail in the coffin.

Lähetetty minun VOG-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

11. Thanked Silexxx for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (10-22-2021)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    If CFTH had bombed, Dave would have never left VH. It sold like hot cakes. The videos were all over MTV. That EP blew up, went to Dave's head, and he bailed. Sure, the other stuff contributed too, but Dave never quits if this EP flops.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Then MP3’s and downloading killed the whole recorded music industry.
    The only damage the MP3 did was to CD sales in the 2000's after the introduction of the iPod in 2001. Some of it was done by Napster but that was soon shut down but greedy untalented drummers. Apple Music shot themselves in the foot so fuck them. Streaming Services like Spotisuck and Amazon and now YouTube wants that money is what has killed music despite a uptick in physical music sales in the novelty of hipsters "discovering" vinyl records which by the way sound like shit. Streaming is now fracturing itself in certain apps such as TuneIn who are now individualizing the streams. What that means is you will pay to stream a certain station you like along with the subscription to the app itself. Spotisuck is doing its best to kill all physical music or least making bands release physical materiel on limited vinyl editions because vinyl is much harder to transform into digital for your shitty phone, tablet or craptop. In other words, Spotisuck and Amazon are buying up the physical music market to the point where what you want to listen to you will have to go through them to do it.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

I'm not sure it's as simple as "Dave left Van Halen". He was at least partially forced out in something approaching mutual as Alex wrestled control of the band from everyone at that point....

Funny how we still have records and CD's though...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

The bottom line is there isn’t the money in music there used to be. It used to be you could be set for life on one hit song. But that whole thing we grew up in is dead now. It was fun while it lasted.
    There NEVER WAS money in music recording for artists! They always made their bank on the road...

Noel Monk's book alone recounts his tenure beginning with Van Halen as their scumfuck, original WB manager (with a massive conflict of interest he would easily be sued over today) signed them to a recurring entry-level contract that paid them almost no royalties on their records. They were able to break out of it but still, the whole idea that "downloading" ruined music is such bullshit. There were plenty of coke-addled studio exec's to do that!
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 10-22-2021 at 04:54 PM.

Thread Information