Thread: Van Halen tried to bury their ‘Van Hagar’-era music after David Lee Roth’s return

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Van Halen tried to bury their ‘Van Hagar’-era music after David Lee Roth’s return

loudersound.com
    Van Halen tried to bury their ‘Van Hagar’-era music after David Lee Roth’s return says Sammy Hagar
    Classic Rock

Van Hagar
    (Image credit: Paul Natkin/Getty Images)

Sammy Hagar says that Van Halen tried to “bury” the four US Number 1 albums he recorded with the band, after original vocalist David Lee Roth returned to the fold.

Hagar joined the hard rock superstars after Roth quit the group in 1985, and fronted the band on four studio albums, 1986’s 5150, 1988’s OU812, 1991’s For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge and 1995’s Balance, all of which topped the Billboard 200 album charts in America. Those albums, Hagar believes, were pushed into the background after Roth reunited with the Pasadena rockers.

“It seems like since Van Halen did the Roth reunion that they tried to really bury the Van Hagar era,” Hagar tells Ultimate Classic Rock. “They wouldn’t remaster it, they wouldn’t allow it to be in movies. They wouldn’t allow it to be licensed for video games and commercials. They pushed everything from the Roth era, because they were doing that reunion. Understood.”

For Hagar, those albums contain “such great material.”

“All Number One albums,” he points out. “You know, 50 million records.”

Hagar goes on to say how well songs from the ‘Van Hagar’ era, even deep cuts, go down with audiences when aired during gigs by his band the Circle.

“Every time we play that stuff, the audience goes crazy,” he notes. “We added Good Enough to the show, we added Human Being from Twister. We’ve added some really deep tracks recently and, man, it doesn’t matter which song you play - it ain’t just the hits. They’re not just Why Can’t This Be Love. You play Humans Being and the place goes fuckin’ nuts. They know every word. So we’re going, ‘Man, this stuff is golden.’ It’s never gonna die, and we’re not gonna let it.”
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Sam is fucking losing it. As far as the Van Halen’s are concerned they liked all their music across the board. Sorry Sam, Classic VH ain’t going to be overshadowed by you. David Lee Roth and that classic catalog of songs are timeless. Count yourself lucky you got to make noise over some of the brilliant stuff Eddie Van Halen squeezed out of his guitar. Be happy him and Al were drunk enough to make you a member of the band.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

1980Invasion (10-02-2021),Padre Atilio (10-03-2021)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

In the UCR article Sam says:

These days, Hagar regularly mixes material from his Van Halen tenure into live sets with his band the Circle. “I don’t care how proud I am of my own stuff, I can’t ignore that,” he notes. “That’s the biggest peak of my career. But I don’t exploit it too much.”
    Is he serious? Van Halen is the only thing he wants to talk about!

5. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

1980Invasion (10-02-2021)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Why double the number of albums sold? 25 million still sounds impressive enough. He's such a pathetic little man.

7. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

1980Invasion (10-02-2021),Terry (10-01-2021)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    In the UCR article Sam says:

Is he serious? Van Halen is the only thing he wants to talk about!
    It’s narcism to insane levels. Sammy is like Pol Pot. He wants to erase everything after him and be the man. Fortunately he hasn’t taken things to to those extremes but he’s on the road that leads there. Ha! Ha! He’s obsessed to unhealthy levels.

Shit Sam. For being a hippie from nothing you had a pretty good run. People still show up for your lame birthday bash. You’ve made millions. You have a trophy wife to warm your dick and you are rich enough to replace her with a younger bimbo.

9. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Why double the number of albums sold? 25 million still sounds impressive enough. He's such a pathetic little man.
    And that's the thing...so what if Van Hagar only sold half the amount of albums CVH did? 25 million Van Hagar albums sold isn't anything to be ashamed about.

The truth has never been good enough for Hagar...I mean, [Hagar's] music - including Montrose - overall hasn't been stuff that has roused my interest. But I wouldn't infer that Hagar didn't have a degree of commercial success. Hagar's tenure in Van Halen just wasn't as commercially successful as CVH.

11. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    loudersound.com
    Van Halen tried to bury their ‘Van Hagar’-era music after David Lee Roth’s return says Sammy Hagar
    Classic Rock

Van Hagar
    (Image credit: Paul Natkin/Getty Images)

Sammy Hagar says that Van Halen tried to “bury” the four US Number 1 albums he recorded with the band, after original vocalist David Lee Roth returned to the fold.

Hagar joined the hard rock superstars after Roth quit the group in 1985, and fronted the band on four studio albums, 1986’s 5150, 1988’s OU812, 1991’s For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge and 1995’s Balance, all of which topped the Billboard 200 album charts in America. Those albums, Hagar believes, were pushed into the background after Roth reunited with the Pasadena rockers.

“It seems like since Van Halen did the Roth reunion that they tried to really bury the Van Hagar era,” Hagar tells Ultimate Classic Rock. “They wouldn’t remaster it, they wouldn’t allow it to be in movies. They wouldn’t allow it to be licensed for video games and commercials. They pushed everything from the Roth era, because they were doing that reunion. Understood.”

For Hagar, those albums contain “such great material.”

“All Number One albums,” he points out. “You know, 50 million records.”

Hagar goes on to say how well songs from the ‘Van Hagar’ era, even deep cuts, go down with audiences when aired during gigs by his band the Circle.

“Every time we play that stuff, the audience goes crazy,” he notes. “We added Good Enough to the show, we added Human Being from Twister. We’ve added some really deep tracks recently and, man, it doesn’t matter which song you play - it ain’t just the hits. They’re not just Why Can’t This Be Love. You play Humans Being and the place goes fuckin’ nuts. They know every word. So we’re going, ‘Man, this stuff is golden.’ It’s never gonna die, and we’re not gonna let it.”
    I tend to doubt Van Halen from 2007 onward gave much of a shit about the Van Hagar material beyond making sure whatever royalties they were owed from whatever sales of the Van Hagar catalog there were made it to their bank accounts.

I never heard one company or movie production house or ad agency or manufacturer claim publicly in the last 14 years that they really wanted to use a specific Van Hagar song and were told by Warner Brothers or Van Halen's representation that the Van Halens wouldn't allow it: if the price were right, the Van Halens wouldn't hesitate to take the money. I doubt Roth's status as the reinstalled lead singer of the group made one iota of difference, because I tend to doubt Dave had nearly the amount of control in van Halen from 2007-2015 that he did from 1978 to 1984.

And wouldn't it seem only natural that audiences going to see The Circle play WOULD have an enthusiastic response to the Van Hagar material? I mean, they ARE there to see Sammy Hagar play...assumedly they have been following Hagar's career...that his audiences have an enthusiastic response to Hagar playing Van Hagar tunes with The Circle...seems like a weird bragging point to make.

Well, now that Eddie is dead and Dave is no longer with Van Halen, I guess the floodgates are open for Van Hagar tunes to be licensed. That a deluge of van Hagar tunes being showcased in movies/ads in the near future probably isn't going to happen will doubtless not faze Hagar in the slightest. At that point, clearly it will still be Roth's fault, in the limited sense that Roth was in the best version of Van Halen and Sammy Hagar wasn't.

13. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah maybe fucking Cheerios will put in a bid for 'Up For Breakfast'...

15. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (10-04-2021),Terry (10-03-2021)

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Wrong forum...

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-25-2024 @ 10:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    And that's the thing...so what if Van Hagar only sold half the amount of albums CVH did? 25 million Van Hagar albums sold isn't anything to be ashamed about.

The truth has never been good enough for Hagar...I mean, [Hagar's] music - including Montrose - overall hasn't been stuff that has roused my interest. But I wouldn't infer that Hagar didn't have a degree of commercial success. Hagar's tenure in Van Halen just wasn't as commercially successful as CVH.
    The Van Halen's didn't bury the Van Hagar era, everyone else did.
    Airplay, sales, influence and the sheer number of classic songs in the Roth era buried Van Hagar.
    You can't pretend that junk like Big Fat Money, Up for Breakfast and many other lesser tracks compare to the classic era. Some of those tracks would never have made any DLR era album. No way. Not in that form.
    For every good track you have a run of the mill one.
    That's what happens when your frontman doesn't care that much and is a hack.

The lack of originality and creativity and caring, is sort of what led the Van Halens to finally boot Hagar out.

It's funny because MR.Melody, Hagar, couldn't come up with much of anything on some of those tracks, other than a lot of screaming.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nick500 View Post
    It's funny because MR.Melody, Hagar, couldn't come up with much of anything on some of those tracks, other than a lot of screaming.
    Don't forget "woo," "hey now," and "alright!"

19. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (10-04-2021)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

Maybe what bugs Hagar to the core is that not only is the edgier, cool Roth era the one still getting most of the attention it also sold twice as many as the sell out 'commercial' Hagar era.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Van Hagar at this point clearly doesn't sell to the masses as much as CVH does. Understandably.

Thus, Warner/Rhino won't touch any remastered, repackaging of those albums cause the market isnt demanding it.

Case in point, when Ed passed a bunch of VH songs made the streaming charts immediately. And save for one....ONE Van Hagar song (Why Cant This Be Love), they were all CVH tunes.

1984 also re-entered the album charts after Ed passed as well. Not 5150.
    Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 10-04-2021 at 09:50 AM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Yeah maybe fucking Cheerios will put in a bid for 'Up For Breakfast'...
    The General Mills factory that makes most of the Cheerios is located here. And BEER is what is up for breakfast for a lot fo the shift workers!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Methinks F A T S P A M M Y is broke.

Thread Information