Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

Michael Nesmith, Monkees Singer-Songwriter, Dead at 78

rollingstone.com
    Rolling Stone
    Andy Greene

December 10, 2021 12:15PM ET
    Michael Nesmith, Monkees Singer-Songwriter, Dead at 78

“With Infinite Love we announce that Michael Nesmith has passed away this morning in his home, surrounded by family, peacefully and of natural causes,” his family said in a statement

Mike Nesmith, circa 1967.

Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images

Monkees singer and guitarist Michael Nesmith, a pop visionary who penned many of the group’s most enduring songs before laying the groundwork for country-rock with the First National Band in the early Seventies, died Friday from natural causes. He was 78.

“With Infinite Love we announce that Michael Nesmith has passed away this morning in his home, surrounded by family, peacefully and of natural causes,” his family said in a statement. “We ask that you respect our privacy at this time and we thank you for the love and light that all of you have shown him and us.”

Nesmith was known as the Monkee in the green wool hat with the thick Texas drawl, and the writer of songs like “Mary, Mary,” “Circle Sky,” “Listen to the Band,” and “The Girl I Knew Somewhere.” But he raged behind the scenes that the group didn’t have creative control of their albums, and in 1967 led the successful rebellion against record producer Don Kirshner. The group would subsequently release Headquarters and other albums they created largely on their own.

In a 2012 interview with Rolling Stone, Nesmith explained why he was so adamant that the Monkees write and record their own material despite the huge success they were enjoying at the time. “We were kids with our own taste in music and were happier performing songs we liked – and/or wrote – than songs that were handed to us,” he said. “It made for a better performance. It was more fun. That this became a bone of contention seemed strange to me, and I think to some extent to each of us – sort of “what’s the big deal – why wont you let us play the songs we are singing?”

When the Monkees dissolved in the late Sixties, he formed the First National Band. And despite recording three classic country rock albums, escaping the shadow of the Monkees proved nearly impossible. The group broke up shortly before the Eagles hit big with “Take It Easy.”

“I was heartbroken beyond speech,” Nesmith told Rolling Stone in 2018. “I couldn’t even utter the words ‘the Eagles’ and I loved Hotel California and I love the Eagles, the Flying Burrito Brothers and the Byrds’ Sweetheart of the Rodeo, all that stuff. That was right in my wheelhouse and I was agonized, Van Gogh–agonized, not to compare myself to him, but I wanted to cut something off because I was like, ‘Why is this happening?’ The Eagles now have the biggest selling album of all time and mine is sitting in the closet of a closed record company?”

Nesmith spent the rest of the Seventies recording under-the-radar solo albums. But in 1980, he inherited a substantial fortune when his mother, Liquid Paper inventor Bette Nesmith Graham, died. He invested the money in many business ventures, along with movies like Repo Man and Tapeheads. But music remained close to his heart, and he reunited with the Monkees in 2012 for a series of reunion tours and the 2016 LP Good Times! They went on a farewell tour this year, and played their final show November 14th at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles.

This story is developing…
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

10. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

FORD (12-10-2021)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

latimes.com
    Michael Nesmith death: Read Micky Dolenz's touching tribute - Los Angeles Times
    Christie D’Zurilla
    4-5 minutes

Singer-songwriter Michael Nesmith, who gained fame in the 1960s as a member of the Monkees, gained wealth from his mother’s invention of Liquid Paper and gained respect with his later contributions to music and TV, died Friday at age 78 — leaving his many fans brokenhearted.

Nesmith’s bandmate Micky Dolenz, the last surviving original member of the Monkees, issued a statement.

“I’m heartbroken. I’ve lost a dear friend and partner,” Dolenz wrote on Instagram. “I’m so grateful that we could spend the last couple of months together doing what we loved best — singing, laughing, and doing shtick. I’ll miss it all so much. Especially the shtick. Rest in peace, Nez. ... All my love, Micky.”

Dolenz and Nesmith just completed what they had billed as the Monkees’ farewell tour with a final stop at L.A.'s Greek Theater on Nov. 14.

Messages on social media reflected the life of a man who left an impression on many famous fans — especially men of a certain age.

“I’m sorry to hear about Mike Nesmith. The Monkees had some great songs, those were fun days,” tweeted Beach Boys co-founder Brian Wilson. “Love & Mercy to Mike’s family and friends.”

“My first big artistic hero, Mike Nesmith,” magician Penn Jillette tweeted, along with a photo of himself and the musician. “He’s a big part of who I am. It’s love you bring, no that I can’t deny. With your wings, you helped me learn to fly. Sweet Young Mike Nesmith.”

Paul Stanley of Kiss seemed shocked by the news. “WOW! Sometimes it’s hard to know why someone’s passing hits you a certain way but this is another one that hit me,” he tweeted. “I watch my world change as people that I thought to be timeless pass on, and that is sobering. Lives end and life goes on. RIP Mike Nesmith.”

“Along with Phil Ochs & Bob Dylan, no popular musical influence has had a greater effect on who I am, how I think about putting words together, or how I feel when I listen to pop music than that of Michael Nesmith. This one breaks my heart,” character actor Jim Beaver tweeted.

Actor Michael Des Barres tweeted, “A rock ’n’ roll paradox. A brilliant musician & songwriter playing a popstar on television in a TV series. A dichotomy that is unparalleled in the history of R n R.His personal songs and the songs he wrote for @TheMonkees ⁦⁩are forever. RIP.”

“Peace & love, Mike Nesmith,” tweeted Susanna Hoffs, the singer-songwriter who co-founded the Bangles. She added a broken-heart emoji and a photo of the musician. The broken-heart message was echoed by “The Brady Bunch” actress Maureen McCormick.

“Arrested Development” and “Silicon Valley” producer John Levenstein shared a personal story, tweeting, “RIP Michael Nesmith. He was my first boss. I was young and insubordinate. He was bemused and patient. Later we became great friends. He had no fear of death.” (Levenstein was a writer on the 1985 TV movie “Television Parts,” directed by Dolenz and starring Nesmith, Jay Leno and Jerry Lee Lewis.)

“Ach, sad,” sci-fi author John Scalzi tweeted, joining a number of authors expressing their condolences. “But what a legacy, especially given that the band was meant to be TV gimmick. Nesmith and others showed them all, in the Monkees and outside of it. RIP.”

“This is sad news,” tweeted musician Gary Numan. “When I was about 9 or 10 my friends and I formed a ‘band’ called The Monkee Juniors. We mimed to The Monkees records in people houses in our street for sweet money. I was the Mike Nesmith in the line-up. He was far more talented than given credit for.”

Comic and actor Patton Oswald wrote, "#RIPMikeNesmith. Thank you for The Monkees, Elephant Parts, MTV & REPO MAN.”

And actor John O’Hurley summed it all up, echoing Beaver by tweeting simply, “This breaks my heart...”

Thread Information