X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
    Anything is possible... but... making firm, booked plans 3 months out like this is a clear indication Dave doesn't have 1 foot in the grave. It would be much more concerning if Dave had said he wasn't taking any chances and doesn't buy green bananas anymore...

The lifespans of Ed and Dave's fathers is interesting... but statistically both Ed and Dave should have had a much higher probability of living longer than their dads did. My dad lived 91 summers... I'm still on track to outlive all you fuckers...
    I’m looking after my health. I’m now drinking 80 proof bourbon instead of the 101 proof bourbon.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
      I couldn't imagine anything I'd be less interested in seeing than a one-time Van Halen gig - even if the tour had Roth, Al and Mike - with a bunch of different guest guitarists paying tribute to Ed.

The point was to have CVH reform, and to hear Ed play the licks alongside the rest of the CVH lineup. Obviously, that can never happen again now. If I want to see multiple guitarists playing Ed's licks - and I don't - I can watch that on youtube.

I'd rather Wolfgang just put out whatever CVH audio/video he has possession of than see a non-CVH Van Halen with Not Eddie playing Eddie's licks.

Plus, seeing guitarists playing Eddie's licks was impressive back in the 1980s. 40 + years on, seeing someone other than Eddie playing Eddie's stuff...not so much.

What I'd rather hear these days is someone playing their own stuff, and have their own stuff be as impressive as Eddie's licks were. And that ain't gonna happen with Van Halen Mach 5: Tribute To Eddie tour.
      When I heard Ed passed I just went,”It’s over”. I was amazed the Smoking Loon drunken bum that used to be Eddie Van Halen could clean himself up and get his chops together and go out and play as good and look as good as he did that last tour. I saw the Seattle show and Ed played great. Almost too good. Sad to see the man go but he went out on top with dignity. If you are going to go that’s the way you want to go.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by WARF
        I think I’m handling the news of Dave retiring even worse than when I heard Ed passed away. I don’t think Dave has much longer to live. He made the same cryptic messages when Ed was dying. That scar on his head when he shaved his head bald has a whole new meaning now, but I suspected he was sick when I saw that as well. Dave said he thought the Marlboro man would live longer … is that a reference to lung cancer?
        There’s nothing left for Dave to do. He wanted to front Van Halen and he came back and did it. He has back problems. It’s probably painful to perform and his doctors don’t want him on stage pounding his back and stressing his joints. Dave was a high energy show and you just can’t pull it off approaching 70.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
          No, he said he thought the Marlboro Man would get him.
          Marlboros are shit cigarettes. They should get you. I don’t know what’s in them but it ain’t premium tobacco.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
            Check it out: The latest Roth tour photo:
            Fuck. Fish had to have slammed back a few sambucas before he tied that neck tie. It’s fucking backwards.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              When I heard Ed passed I just went,”It’s over”. I was amazed the Smoking Loon drunken bum that used to be Eddie Van Halen could clean himself up and get his chops together and go out and play as good and look as good as he did that last tour. I saw the Seattle show and Ed played great. Almost too good. Sad to see the man go but he went out on top with dignity. If you are going to go that’s the way you want to go.
              Ed's playing was still dodgy during the 2007/2008 tour. But by the time the 2012 tour rolled around, Ed was back in form. He knocked it right out of the park in Tampa in 2012. From all the 2015 clips I saw, [Ed] was playing great on that tour, too. But it does speak to how fucked up Ed had gotten in the early to mid 2000s that the bar for excellence after that wasn't any higher than Ed merely being able to recreate the chops he had on display in the 1980s. However, he did get his chops back for those last two tours, and as a fan it was certainly better to see Ed going out on top as opposed to ending his performing career with uneven performances a la 2004 and 2007/2008.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

There’s nothing left for Dave to do. He wanted to front Van Halen and he came back and did it. He has back problems. It’s probably painful to perform and his doctors don’t want him on stage pounding his back and stressing his joints. Dave was a high energy show and you just can’t pull it off approaching 70.
                There's plenty of material that Dave could perform without all the high energy shit...

"If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                  Weren't there reports of Dave's radio studio reeking of cigarettes?

I remember one EVH interview mentioned the control room at 5150 smelled like smoke and stale beer.
                  A-HA! Dave has lung cancer. He doesn't have 90 days left to live. Smokers are jokers.

Comment

• wolfsbane
                    Roadie
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Kristy
                    A-HA! Dave has lung cancer. He doesn't have 90 days left to live. Smokers are jokers.
                    This is unlikely.

He must have had tons of imaging and cardiac work-ups/stress tests for his surgeries.

It is possible he has a cancer that is not seen on imaging, but that would likely show up on bloodwork.

A lot of cancers are beatable now that weren't just a few years ago.

Comment

• WARF
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

“Harmless Dave” the real music observing couch potato, just posted another Dave video , misquoting him and missing the whole point of Dave’s retirement speech, saying that Sammy Hagar is now Van Halen de-facto. LOL

This guy is a total retard…. All he does is go back and forth between bashing Dave, blowing Arnel Pinedas cock, and spreading misinformation regarding covid , meanwhile referring to vaccinations as “the thing” so he doesn’t get demonetized.

Now he’s begging everyone for $1 a month for support…. Fuck that asshole! LOL

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                        There's plenty of material that Dave could perform without all the high energy shit...

That was a long time ago. Dave’s voice ain’t what it used to be. What Dave wanted was to come back into Van Halen and show the world he was the man. Without Ed that door is closed but Dave was frontman on the last tour and you can tell that bugs the shit out of Sammy Hagar. There’s nothing to top that. Sammy is pissed and Dave was the frontman on the last voyage. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by wolfsbane
                          This is unlikely.

He must have had tons of imaging and cardiac work-ups/stress tests for his surgeries.

It is possible he has a cancer that is not seen on imaging, but that would likely show up on bloodwork.

A lot of cancers are beatable now that weren't just a few years ago.
                          You can make yourself pretty cancer proof by maintaining high oxygen levels and keeping your body PH alkaline. But good genes help. Nobody in my family has gotten cancer.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

“Harmless Dave” the real music observing couch potato, just posted another Dave video , misquoting him and missing the whole point of Dave’s retirement speech, saying that Sammy Hagar is now Van Halen de-facto. LOL

This guy is a total retard…. All he does is go back and forth between bashing Dave, blowing Arnel Pinedas cock, and spreading misinformation regarding covid , meanwhile referring to vaccinations as “the thing” so he doesn’t get demonetized.

My biggest nightmare is everyone online is nice and sane. That would be so fucking boring.

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

It's bad enough I watch his videos. I'm not signing up for his Patreon to message him. No email on his blog, either.
                              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Never was
                                Foot Soldier
                                • May 2012

That was a long time ago. Dave’s voice ain’t what it used to be. What Dave wanted was to come back into Van Halen and show the world he was the man. Without Ed that door is closed but Dave was frontman on the last tour and you can tell that bugs the shit out of Sammy Hagar. There’s nothing to top that. Sammy is pissed and Dave was the frontman on the last voyage. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
                                Dave named em, rose to their peak w Dave, and ended with Dave.

Sammy Hagar was nothing but cheesy shitty noise played in the lobby during intermission.
                                Now that shit has aged into a bitter second wife getting hit in the face with the reality of their irrelevance

Comment

Working...