• Feb 2005

Don't know how I feel about this yet. That was a nice statement though
    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

And my doctors, my handlers, compelled me to really address that every time I go on stage, I endanger that future
      That doesn't sound like they're worried about him falling and breaking an ankle or hip.

Thanks, Dave.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

And I hate to bring it up, but how long before someone else makes light of this announcement?
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• ZahZoo
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
          And I hate to bring it up, but how long before someone else makes light of this announcement?
          You had to go there... LOL

It's inevitable. Stay tuned... Stay Frosty...
          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Prophetic..? Check the last minute starting at the 3:54 mark... the date and Gene Simmons' fat Elvis remarks recently...

Comment

• riggodrill44
              Roadie
              • Nov 2004

IMG_0284.jpgThe GOAT.

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Best part of the video, but I'm not fat...

Comment

• private parts
                  Sniper
                  • Jan 2007

I thought this place would be flooded with comments today. I guess word hasn't reached everyone yet.
                  End of an era for sho. Hopefully nothing serious health wise other than a bad back. We ain't heard the last of DLR.
                  sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

• Mushroom
                    Commando
                    • Jul 2009

This sets the stage for his Comeback Tour and the ensuing Retirement Tour! Regardless, he will be around creating art in some form or fashion. Enjoy it. He's not dead yet!
                    Last edited by Mushroom; 10-02-2021, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• ashstralia
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Feb 2004

The dude has nothing to prove to nobody.
                      Well played, Diamond Dave!

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Nov 2004

It feels strange, hyperactive Dave, retiring, after Ed's trespassing...
                        It had been tough vocally since the 2012-13 Tour, maybe because he'd put so much into singing on ADKOT.

It's all happening... And year after year, Dave would have had more and more trouble performing, always farther away from his glorious self.

Let's just hope he isn't done with recording music, he is so resourceful.
                        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Overall, I think it's a positive thing.

Just going from the statement, one thing that certainly rings true is Roth saying when he's in the audience watching a performance, as an audience member all he expects from whoever is performing - regardless of what they're doing - is that they give it their all...100%.

From some of what he said, there is a tacit admission that he's not in a physical condition to give it his all anymore. He's nearly 70.

There's no shame in Roth just flat-out coming out and saying what he said. As others on the thread have mentioned, Roth has nothing left to prove. For me, his status was established decades ago...it's not something he needs to keep reestablishing by continuing to perform. Not for me. And if Dave has come to the realization that it's time to retire, then clearly it IS time to retire. Particularly if he can't perform at the level or up to the standards that he expects of himself.

As a live performer, for me Roth has been slowly waning over the last twenty years. Out of no reason other than just age and natural decline and the high standards and high energy Roth had set in his peak in the 1980s. As the years wound on, it was only natural that degree of showmanship was going to be more and more difficult to attain. With the ADKOT gig I saw, Roth was struggling. Viewing subsequent performances, it was clear that 2012 show wasn't an anomaly. He just couldn't do it anymore.

Playing shows in Vegas or opening slots for KISS fronting a band of nobodies, churning out CVH tunes, unable to sing the songs properly...I'd have a hard time imagining any longtime Roth fans would really want Dave to have continued doing that...particularly if he wasn't able to do it well. I dunno...I was as nostalgic and excited for Roth to reunite with Van Halen as anybody. I enjoyed seeing Dave perform as much as anybody...until he reached the point where he couldn't do it well anymore. Once that point was reached for me, seeing Dave perform was a case of the real time result not eliciting pleasant nostalgic vibes but a realization that...as a live act...at least in terms of recreating the CVH vibe/era...Dave was done. It was over.

But I don't feel bummed about Dave retiring. Sort of along the same lines as when Eddie passed, I wasn't bummed. With Eddie, part of that was because at least with his passing Eddie wasn't struggling with his health anymore and his pain was over (and like others here I certainly hope Dave isn't currently suffering from any particular malady that necessitated his retirement), but Dave's retirement is similar to Eddie's passing in that both events have reminded me of how much the CVH music still means to me...how much it still resonates with me today.

I too hope Dave's retirement is strictly from live performing, and not from creating and recording new music. From the smattering of solo recordings that have been leaked out over the last few years, there's still creative juice in the tank.

So, thanks to Dave for the music, for the performances and for giving it his all as long as he could.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• moose
                            Veteran
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                            Overall, I think it's a positive thing.

Just going from the statement, one thing that certainly rings true is Roth saying when he's in the audience watching a performance, as an audience member all he expects from whoever is performing - regardless of what they're doing - is that they give it their all...100%.

From some of what he said, there is a tacit admission that he's not in a physical condition to give it his all anymore. He's nearly 70.

There's no shame in Roth just flat-out coming out and saying what he said. As others on the thread have mentioned, Roth has nothing left to prove. For me, his status was established decades ago...it's not something he needs to keep reestablishing by continuing to perform. Not for me. And if Dave has come to the realization that it's time to retire, then clearly it IS time to retire. Particularly if he can't perform at the level or up to the standards that he expects of himself.

As a live performer, for me Roth has been slowly waning over the last twenty years. Out of no reason other than just age and natural decline and the high standards and high energy Roth had set in his peak in the 1980s. As the years wound on, it was only natural that degree of showmanship was going to be more and more difficult to attain. With the ADKOT gig I saw, Roth was struggling. Viewing subsequent performances, it was clear that 2012 show wasn't an anomaly. He just couldn't do it anymore.

Playing shows in Vegas or opening slots for KISS fronting a band of nobodies, churning out CVH tunes, unable to sing the songs properly...I'd have a hard time imagining any longtime Roth fans would really want Dave to have continued doing that...particularly if he wasn't able to do it well. I dunno...I was as nostalgic and excited for Roth to reunite with Van Halen as anybody. I enjoyed seeing Dave perform as much as anybody...until he reached the point where he couldn't do it well anymore. Once that point was reached for me, seeing Dave perform was a case of the real time result not eliciting pleasant nostalgic vibes but a realization that...as a live act...at least in terms of recreating the CVH vibe/era...Dave was done. It was over.

But I don't feel bummed about Dave retiring. Sort of along the same lines as when Eddie passed, I wasn't bummed. With Eddie, part of that was because at least with his passing Eddie wasn't struggling with his health anymore and his pain was over (and like others here I certainly hope Dave isn't currently suffering from any particular malady that necessitated his retirement), but Dave's retirement is similar to Eddie's passing in that both events have reminded me of how much the CVH music still means to me...how much it still resonates with me today.

I too hope Dave's retirement is strictly from live performing, and not from creating and recording new music. From the smattering of solo recordings that have been leaked out over the last few years, there's still creative juice in the tank.

So, thanks to Dave for the music, for the performances and for giving it his all as long as he could.

Well said!

Comment

• Fairwrning
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Not sure why this is news..How long ago was that last solo lp?..When Ed died I considered Dave and Alex retired.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

The one thing that feels oddly uncomfortable about Dave's retirement announcement... it broke with a long held tradition, coming from the Van Halen camp, of never say what's really happening and always "keep em guessing"... them being the fans, media, the world.

This places a finality where the band, Van Halen, is making it real... the passing of Edward signals that's it, it's over. As obvious as that is... having 3 founding members, 2 former members and Wolfgang Van Halen still around it left open a possibility, however unlikely, that something could come in the future. I'm happy that possibility has been put to rest. Without Eddie... there's no point. It's that simple.

One final footnote from Roth coming in January... then on to living the dream of retirement life...

Comment

Working...