This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave: "I'm Retiring"

Hey Everyone, hope you're all doing well.

Sad news from Dave - He's retiring. Lengthy audio message in here from him.

Last edited by Seshmeister; 10-05-2021, 05:21 PM.
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Sad News!

Comment

My initial thought is this and it won't be popular with some of you.

At the very start of Dave's career Gene Simmons came along got involved and failed him producing a crap demo, failed to get them a deal, tried to get him replaced as singer and tried to steal Ed away from the band.

At the end of his career Simmons says Dave is "bloated, naked Elvis on the bathroom floor".

I think it goes like this in the Roth mind although who knows?

"FUCK YOU!"

"ACTUALLY HOW FUCKING DARE YOU". "YOU MIME EVERY NIGHT! YOU FAKE FUCK! I AGREE TO SUPPORT WHICH MEANS NO SHOW, HALF EMPTY ARENAS 10 TIMES MORE DIFFICULT AND I'M DOING FINE EVEN WITHOUT A SHOW, MAKEUP, ORIGINAL MEMBERS"

"Wait did you just call me bloated you fat fuck?"

"You are fucking terrible"

"I'm not as good as I was, I can't reach some notes and I can't jump off the drum riser and I'm going back to paying for a backing band"

"Actually you know what? Fuck it. The more I think about it why bother? I don't want to be anything that even reminds me of being Gene Simmons. Or Sammy Hagar. I'm out"

Comment

Fuck.
        Dave
        VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Comment

Guess I'm flying to Vegas.
          Dave
          VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Comment

Guess I'm a little shocked, but probably shouldn't be. It's not like Dave's made a lot of new music in recent years, with or without Van Halen, and who wouldn't get tired of doing the same old set lists year after year.

Don't want to read too much into the semi-cryptic nature of his comments, but there sure seems to be an implication there that health issues are involved, and if so, that sucks.

Also just as cryptic were the "me & Al references". Wonder if Al's going to show up for these final shows?
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Oh fuck, he'll be back in some form or another...

Comment

He's ill.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshmeister View Post
                  My initial thought is this and it won't be popular with some of you.

At the very start of Dave's career Gene Simmons came along got involved and failed him producing a crap demo, failed to get them a deal, tried to get him replaced as singer and tried to steal Ed away from the band.

At the end of his career Simmons says Dave is "bloated, naked Elvis on the bathroom floor".

I think it goes like this in the Roth mind although who knows?

"FUCK YOU!"

"ACTUALLY HOW FUCKING DARE YOU". "YOU MIME EVERY NIGHT! YOU FAKE FUCK! I AGREE TO SUPPORT WHICH MEANS NO SHOW, HALF EMPTY ARENAS 10 TIMES MORE DIFFICULT AND I'M DOING FINE EVEN WITHOUT A SHOW, MAKEUP, ORIGINAL MEMBERS"

"Wait did you just call me bloated you fat fuck?"

"You are fucking terrible"

"I'm not as good as I was, I can't reach some notes and I can't jump off the drum riser and I'm going back to paying for a backing band"

"Actually you know what? Fuck it. The more I think about it why bother? I don't want to be anything that even reminds me of being Gene Simmons. Or Sammy Hagar. I'm out"
                  :drunk:

Comment

No surprise here… the passing of Edward closed a significant path forward and a life long motivational influence… if it isn’t a health issue then it’s a loss of motivation from a known strike of lightning in you Cheerios. .. I can only hope retirement only means no more live performances but maybe the future will include musical contributions!
                    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

I just want to give a true thanks to Dave and Edward and to Van Halen as a whole. I've been to the bottom of life and the Lord Jesus Christ saved me and I'm not adding to that in any way, but Van Halen has always been dear to my heart and there's never been a greater musical influence in my life. They picked me up when I was down and I want to say thanks to all involved.

RIP Edward and thanks Dave !!

Comment

I love ya, Diamond Dave. You bring happiness, laughter, year-long sunshine, and yes, after listening to you I do feel like a building could fall on me and I'd be just fine.

And your greatest hits was so appropriately titled, because you are. Coolest voice and stage presence in rock 'n' roll.

Damn GREAT times, and look at the people here toniiiiight...
                        Last edited by DFVH5150; 10-02-2021, 12:07 AM.
                        Dave
                        VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Comment

Click!

Comment

Originally posted by Vony View Post
                            He's ill.
                            He was on some interview. I think it was Joe Rogan and he said he had a lot of back surgeries. He’s a smoker. Not as heavy as Ed was but that catches up to you in your 60’s. It was sad to see Ed go but he played great and looked happy his last tour. It was great to see Dave fronting VH.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Well Dave may be hanging it up on the stage but he’s going to do his thing and pop in on Rogan and other places and tell us what mischief Dave has been into.
                              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...
                              X