Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 232

Thread: Dave: "I'm Retiring"

  1. #1
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Va Beach VH Fan's Avatar
    Member No
    12
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Last Online
    10-01-2021 @ 08:49 PM
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    17,912
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked 5,513 Times in 2,421 Posts


    Rep Power
    91

    Dave: "I'm Retiring"

    Hey Everyone, hope you're all doing well.

    Sad news from Dave - He's retiring. Lengthy audio message in here from him.

    Last edited by Seshmeister; 10-05-2021 at 06:21 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  2. 3 users say thank you to Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

    Nickdfresh (10-01-2021),Terry (10-03-2021),ZahZoo (10-01-2021)


  3. #2
    To All you "Wannabes'" FU
    Veteran
    moose's Avatar
    Member No
    2184
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Last Online
    11-11-2021 @ 08:21 PM
    Location
    Where the bugs "BITE YO ASS"
    Posts
    1,984
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    215
    Thanked 155 Times in 97 Posts


    Rep Power
    21
    Sad News!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  4. #3
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    33,460
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,576
    Thanked 8,736 Times in 5,592 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    My initial thought is this and it won't be popular with some of you.

    At the very start of Dave's career Gene Simmons came along got involved and failed him producing a crap demo, failed to get them a deal, tried to get him replaced as singer and tried to steal Ed away from the band.

    At the end of his career Simmons says Dave is "bloated, naked Elvis on the bathroom floor".

    I think it goes like this in the Roth mind although who knows?

    "FUCK YOU!"

    "ACTUALLY HOW FUCKING DARE YOU". "YOU MIME EVERY NIGHT! YOU FAKE FUCK! I AGREE TO SUPPORT WHICH MEANS NO SHOW, HALF EMPTY ARENAS 10 TIMES MORE DIFFICULT AND I'M DOING FINE EVEN WITHOUT A SHOW, MAKEUP, ORIGINAL MEMBERS"

    "Wait did you just call me bloated you fat fuck?"

    "You are fucking terrible"

    "I'm not as good as I was, I can't reach some notes and I can't jump off the drum riser and I'm going back to paying for a backing band"

    "Actually you know what? Fuck it. The more I think about it why bother? I don't want to be anything that even reminds me of being Gene Simmons. Or Sammy Hagar. I'm out"
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  5. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

    1980Invasion (10-02-2021),bantonelli (10-05-2021)


  6. #4
    Groupie

    Member No
    3488
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Last Online
    11-12-2021 @ 08:08 PM
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    88
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 31 Times in 9 Posts


    Rep Power
    18
    Fuck.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  7. #5
    Groupie

    Member No
    3488
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Last Online
    11-12-2021 @ 08:08 PM
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    88
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 31 Times in 9 Posts


    Rep Power
    18
    Guess I'm flying to Vegas.

  8. #6
    Anarchy in the USA
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

    FORD's Avatar
    Member No
    32
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Location
    Cascadia
    Posts
    56,459
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,263
    Thanked 6,032 Times in 4,511 Posts


    Rep Power
    136
    Guess I'm a little shocked, but probably shouldn't be. It's not like Dave's made a lot of new music in recent years, with or without Van Halen, and who wouldn't get tired of doing the same old set lists year after year.

    Don't want to read too much into the semi-cryptic nature of his comments, but there sure seems to be an implication there that health issues are involved, and if so, that sucks.

    Also just as cryptic were the "me & Al references". Wonder if Al's going to show up for these final shows?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  9. #7
    Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

    Nickdfresh's Avatar
    Member No
    8719
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Age
    51
    Posts
    47,610
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,031
    Thanked 4,281 Times in 3,224 Posts


    Rep Power
    109
    Oh fuck, he'll be back in some form or another...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  10. #8
    Full On Cocktard
    Vony's Avatar
    Member No
    31584
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 07:54 AM
    Location
    here
    Age
    49
    Posts
    24
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts


    Rep Power
    0
    He's ill.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  11. #9
    Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!
    ELVIS's Avatar
    Member No
    14
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 08:27 PM
    Location
    China
    Posts
    44,120
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,838
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts


    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    My initial thought is this and it won't be popular with some of you.

    At the very start of Dave's career Gene Simmons came along got involved and failed him producing a crap demo, failed to get them a deal, tried to get him replaced as singer and tried to steal Ed away from the band.

    At the end of his career Simmons says Dave is "bloated, naked Elvis on the bathroom floor".

    I think it goes like this in the Roth mind although who knows?

    "FUCK YOU!"

    "ACTUALLY HOW FUCKING DARE YOU". "YOU MIME EVERY NIGHT! YOU FAKE FUCK! I AGREE TO SUPPORT WHICH MEANS NO SHOW, HALF EMPTY ARENAS 10 TIMES MORE DIFFICULT AND I'M DOING FINE EVEN WITHOUT A SHOW, MAKEUP, ORIGINAL MEMBERS"

    "Wait did you just call me bloated you fat fuck?"

    "You are fucking terrible"

    "I'm not as good as I was, I can't reach some notes and I can't jump off the drum riser and I'm going back to paying for a backing band"

    "Actually you know what? Fuck it. The more I think about it why bother? I don't want to be anything that even reminds me of being Gene Simmons. Or Sammy Hagar. I'm out"
    :drunk:
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  12. #10
    Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    ZahZoo's Avatar
    Member No
    61
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:30 PM
    Location
    3rd Stone From The Sun
    Posts
    8,439
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,075
    Thanked 2,831 Times in 1,828 Posts


    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    10
    No surprise here… the passing of Edward closed a significant path forward and a life long motivational influence… if it isn’t a health issue then it’s a loss of motivation from a known strike of lightning in you Cheerios. .. I can only hope retirement only means no more live performances but maybe the future will include musical contributions!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  13. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

    78/84 guy (10-03-2021),bluemustard (10-03-2021)


  14. #11
    Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!
    ELVIS's Avatar
    Member No
    14
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 08:27 PM
    Location
    China
    Posts
    44,120
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,838
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts


    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    I just want to give a true thanks to Dave and Edward and to Van Halen as a whole. I've been to the bottom of life and the Lord Jesus Christ saved me and I'm not adding to that in any way, but Van Halen has always been dear to my heart and there's never been a greater musical influence in my life. They picked me up when I was down and I want to say thanks to all involved.

    RIP Edward and thanks Dave !!



  15. 5 users say thank you to ELVIS for this KICKASS post:

    78/84 guy (10-03-2021),bluemustard (10-03-2021),GreenBayLA (10-04-2021),riggodrill44 (10-02-2021),Von Halen (10-05-2021)


  16. #12
    Groupie

    Member No
    3488
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Last Online
    11-12-2021 @ 08:08 PM
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    88
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 31 Times in 9 Posts


    Rep Power
    18
    I love ya, Diamond Dave. You bring happiness, laughter, year-long sunshine, and yes, after listening to you I do feel like a building could fall on me and I'd be just fine.

    And your greatest hits was so appropriately titled, because you are. Coolest voice and stage presence in rock 'n' roll.

    Damn GREAT times, and look at the people here toniiiiight...
    Last edited by DFVH5150; 10-02-2021 at 01:07 AM.

  17. 2 users say thank you to DFVH5150 for this KICKASS post:

    ELVIS (10-02-2021),riggodrill44 (10-02-2021)


  18. #13
    Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!
    ELVIS's Avatar
    Member No
    14
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 08:27 PM
    Location
    China
    Posts
    44,120
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,838
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts


    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    0

  19. #14
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    11-12-2021 @ 03:03 PM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    30,302
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,183
    Thanked 3,437 Times in 2,795 Posts


    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Vony View Post
    He's ill.
    He was on some interview. I think it was Joe Rogan and he said he had a lot of back surgeries. He’s a smoker. Not as heavy as Ed was but that catches up to you in your 60’s. It was sad to see Ed go but he played great and looked happy his last tour. It was great to see Dave fronting VH.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  20. #15
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    11-12-2021 @ 03:03 PM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    30,302
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,183
    Thanked 3,437 Times in 2,795 Posts


    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    84
    Well Dave may be hanging it up on the stage but he’s going to do his thing and pop in on Rogan and other places and tell us what mischief Dave has been into.

  21. #16
    Full Member Status

    Romeo Delight's Avatar
    Member No
    11436
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Online
    10-12-2021 @ 12:50 AM
    Location
    leftcoast
    Posts
    4,971
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    342
    Thanked 457 Times in 322 Posts


    Rep Power
    26
    Don't know how I feel about this yet. That was a nice statement though
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  22. 2 users say thank you to Romeo Delight for this KICKASS post:

    78/84 guy (10-03-2021),Terry (10-03-2021)


  23. #17
    formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    twonabomber's Avatar
    Member No
    28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:48 AM
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,209
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 2,102 Times in 1,365 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    And my doctors, my handlers, compelled me to really address that every time I go on stage, I endanger that future
    That doesn't sound like they're worried about him falling and breaking an ankle or hip.

    Thanks, Dave.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  24. #18
    formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    twonabomber's Avatar
    Member No
    28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:48 AM
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,209
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 2,102 Times in 1,365 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    And I hate to bring it up, but how long before someone else makes light of this announcement?

  25. #19
    Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    ZahZoo's Avatar
    Member No
    61
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:30 PM
    Location
    3rd Stone From The Sun
    Posts
    8,439
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,075
    Thanked 2,831 Times in 1,828 Posts


    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    And I hate to bring it up, but how long before someone else makes light of this announcement?
    You had to go there... LOL

    It's inevitable. Stay tuned... Stay Frosty...

  26. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

    riggodrill44 (10-02-2021)


  27. #20
    Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    ZahZoo's Avatar
    Member No
    61
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:30 PM
    Location
    3rd Stone From The Sun
    Posts
    8,439
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,075
    Thanked 2,831 Times in 1,828 Posts


    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    10
    Prophetic..? Check the last minute starting at the 3:54 mark... the date and Gene Simmons' fat Elvis remarks recently...


  28. 4 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

    78/84 guy (10-03-2021),ashstralia (10-03-2021),Jérôme Frenchise (10-02-2021),moose (10-02-2021)


  29. #21
    Atomic Drunk
    Roadie
    riggodrill44's Avatar
    Member No
    9721
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Last Online
    10-06-2021 @ 04:06 PM
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    117
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    214
    Thanked 43 Times in 27 Posts


    Rep Power
    18
    IMG_0284.jpgThe GOAT.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  30. 2 users say thank you to riggodrill44 for this KICKASS post:

    1980Invasion (10-02-2021),Mushroom (10-02-2021)


  31. #22
    Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!
    ELVIS's Avatar
    Member No
    14
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 08:27 PM
    Location
    China
    Posts
    44,120
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,838
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts


    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    Best part of the video, but I'm not fat...

  32. #23
    PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    private parts's Avatar
    Member No
    22591
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 09:54 PM
    Location
    RIGHT HERE
    Posts
    925
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    227
    Thanked 240 Times in 166 Posts


    Rep Power
    17
    I thought this place would be flooded with comments today. I guess word hasn't reached everyone yet.
    End of an era for sho. Hopefully nothing serious health wise other than a bad back. We ain't heard the last of DLR.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  33. #24
    Sniper
    Mushroom's Avatar
    Member No
    24813
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Online
    11-25-2021 @ 12:05 AM
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    892
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked 152 Times in 117 Posts


    Rep Power
    14
    This sets the stage for his Comeback Tour and the ensuing Retirement Tour! Regardless, he will be around creating art in some form or fashion. Enjoy it. He's not dead yet!
    Last edited by Mushroom; 10-02-2021 at 11:38 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  34. #25
    The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    ashstralia's Avatar
    Member No
    1057
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    11-19-2021 @ 03:12 PM
    Location
    land of oz
    Posts
    6,501
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,673
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 805 Posts


    Rep Power
    35
    The dude has nothing to prove to nobody.
    Well played, Diamond Dave!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  35. 3 users say thank you to ashstralia for this KICKASS post:

    bluemustard (10-04-2021),riggodrill44 (10-05-2021),Terry (10-03-2021)


  36. #26
    FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Jérôme Frenchise's Avatar
    Member No
    9783
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:41 PM
    Location
    Frogland
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,039
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    852
    Thanked 453 Times in 337 Posts


    Rep Power
    29
    It feels strange, hyperactive Dave, retiring, after Ed's trespassing...
    It had been tough vocally since the 2012-13 Tour, maybe because he'd put so much into singing on ADKOT.

    It's all happening... And year after year, Dave would have had more and more trouble performing, always farther away from his glorious self.

    Let's just hope he isn't done with recording music, he is so resourceful.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  37. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (10-03-2021)


  38. #27
    Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:48 AM
    Location
    USA! USA! USA!
    Posts
    10,797
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    3,638
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,226 Posts


    Rep Power
    47
    Overall, I think it's a positive thing.

    Just going from the statement, one thing that certainly rings true is Roth saying when he's in the audience watching a performance, as an audience member all he expects from whoever is performing - regardless of what they're doing - is that they give it their all...100%.

    From some of what he said, there is a tacit admission that he's not in a physical condition to give it his all anymore. He's nearly 70.

    There's no shame in Roth just flat-out coming out and saying what he said. As others on the thread have mentioned, Roth has nothing left to prove. For me, his status was established decades ago...it's not something he needs to keep reestablishing by continuing to perform. Not for me. And if Dave has come to the realization that it's time to retire, then clearly it IS time to retire. Particularly if he can't perform at the level or up to the standards that he expects of himself.

    As a live performer, for me Roth has been slowly waning over the last twenty years. Out of no reason other than just age and natural decline and the high standards and high energy Roth had set in his peak in the 1980s. As the years wound on, it was only natural that degree of showmanship was going to be more and more difficult to attain. With the ADKOT gig I saw, Roth was struggling. Viewing subsequent performances, it was clear that 2012 show wasn't an anomaly. He just couldn't do it anymore.

    Playing shows in Vegas or opening slots for KISS fronting a band of nobodies, churning out CVH tunes, unable to sing the songs properly...I'd have a hard time imagining any longtime Roth fans would really want Dave to have continued doing that...particularly if he wasn't able to do it well. I dunno...I was as nostalgic and excited for Roth to reunite with Van Halen as anybody. I enjoyed seeing Dave perform as much as anybody...until he reached the point where he couldn't do it well anymore. Once that point was reached for me, seeing Dave perform was a case of the real time result not eliciting pleasant nostalgic vibes but a realization that...as a live act...at least in terms of recreating the CVH vibe/era...Dave was done. It was over.

    But I don't feel bummed about Dave retiring. Sort of along the same lines as when Eddie passed, I wasn't bummed. With Eddie, part of that was because at least with his passing Eddie wasn't struggling with his health anymore and his pain was over (and like others here I certainly hope Dave isn't currently suffering from any particular malady that necessitated his retirement), but Dave's retirement is similar to Eddie's passing in that both events have reminded me of how much the CVH music still means to me...how much it still resonates with me today.

    I too hope Dave's retirement is strictly from live performing, and not from creating and recording new music. From the smattering of solo recordings that have been leaked out over the last few years, there's still creative juice in the tank.

    So, thanks to Dave for the music, for the performances and for giving it his all as long as he could.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  39. 6 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

    bantonelli (10-05-2021),GreenBayLA (10-04-2021),Jérôme Frenchise (10-03-2021),moose (10-03-2021),riggodrill44 (10-05-2021),ZahZoo (10-03-2021)


  40. #28
    To All you "Wannabes'" FU
    Veteran
    moose's Avatar
    Member No
    2184
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Last Online
    11-11-2021 @ 08:21 PM
    Location
    Where the bugs "BITE YO ASS"
    Posts
    1,984
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    215
    Thanked 155 Times in 97 Posts


    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Overall, I think it's a positive thing.

    Just going from the statement, one thing that certainly rings true is Roth saying when he's in the audience watching a performance, as an audience member all he expects from whoever is performing - regardless of what they're doing - is that they give it their all...100%.

    From some of what he said, there is a tacit admission that he's not in a physical condition to give it his all anymore. He's nearly 70.

    There's no shame in Roth just flat-out coming out and saying what he said. As others on the thread have mentioned, Roth has nothing left to prove. For me, his status was established decades ago...it's not something he needs to keep reestablishing by continuing to perform. Not for me. And if Dave has come to the realization that it's time to retire, then clearly it IS time to retire. Particularly if he can't perform at the level or up to the standards that he expects of himself.

    As a live performer, for me Roth has been slowly waning over the last twenty years. Out of no reason other than just age and natural decline and the high standards and high energy Roth had set in his peak in the 1980s. As the years wound on, it was only natural that degree of showmanship was going to be more and more difficult to attain. With the ADKOT gig I saw, Roth was struggling. Viewing subsequent performances, it was clear that 2012 show wasn't an anomaly. He just couldn't do it anymore.

    Playing shows in Vegas or opening slots for KISS fronting a band of nobodies, churning out CVH tunes, unable to sing the songs properly...I'd have a hard time imagining any longtime Roth fans would really want Dave to have continued doing that...particularly if he wasn't able to do it well. I dunno...I was as nostalgic and excited for Roth to reunite with Van Halen as anybody. I enjoyed seeing Dave perform as much as anybody...until he reached the point where he couldn't do it well anymore. Once that point was reached for me, seeing Dave perform was a case of the real time result not eliciting pleasant nostalgic vibes but a realization that...as a live act...at least in terms of recreating the CVH vibe/era...Dave was done. It was over.

    But I don't feel bummed about Dave retiring. Sort of along the same lines as when Eddie passed, I wasn't bummed. With Eddie, part of that was because at least with his passing Eddie wasn't struggling with his health anymore and his pain was over (and like others here I certainly hope Dave isn't currently suffering from any particular malady that necessitated his retirement), but Dave's retirement is similar to Eddie's passing in that both events have reminded me of how much the CVH music still means to me...how much it still resonates with me today.

    I too hope Dave's retirement is strictly from live performing, and not from creating and recording new music. From the smattering of solo recordings that have been leaked out over the last few years, there's still creative juice in the tank.

    So, thanks to Dave for the music, for the performances and for giving it his all as long as he could.

    Well said!

  41. Thanked moose for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (10-03-2021)


  42. #29
    " Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Fairwrning's Avatar
    Member No
    22
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    11-12-2021 @ 07:14 PM
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,263
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    203
    Thanked 688 Times in 468 Posts


    Rep Power
    36
    Not sure why this is news..How long ago was that last solo lp?..When Ed died I considered Dave and Alex retired.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  43. Thanked Fairwrning for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (10-03-2021)


  44. #30
    Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    ZahZoo's Avatar
    Member No
    61
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:30 PM
    Location
    3rd Stone From The Sun
    Posts
    8,439
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,075
    Thanked 2,831 Times in 1,828 Posts


    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    10
    The one thing that feels oddly uncomfortable about Dave's retirement announcement... it broke with a long held tradition, coming from the Van Halen camp, of never say what's really happening and always "keep em guessing"... them being the fans, media, the world.

    This places a finality where the band, Van Halen, is making it real... the passing of Edward signals that's it, it's over. As obvious as that is... having 3 founding members, 2 former members and Wolfgang Van Halen still around it left open a possibility, however unlikely, that something could come in the future. I'm happy that possibility has been put to rest. Without Eddie... there's no point. It's that simple.

    One final footnote from Roth coming in January... then on to living the dream of retirement life...

  45. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

    bantonelli (10-05-2021),Terry (10-03-2021)


  46. #31
    blueretard
    Veteran
    bluemustard's Avatar
    Member No
    19401
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    10-04-2021 @ 01:55 PM
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    1,762
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked 252 Times in 151 Posts


    Rep Power
    19
    Eddie's gone. I'm not surprised..good move. Some magic feeling died too. I hope he is ok. Maybe he will draw a lot or do a podcast...or just chill. Thanks for the music. Best frontman next to Freddie. Peace , love & Diamond Dave
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  47. 2 users say thank you to bluemustard for this KICKASS post:

    78/84 guy (10-03-2021),bantonelli (10-05-2021)


  48. #32
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    78/84 guy's Avatar
    Member No
    12663
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Last Online
    10-03-2021 @ 04:37 PM
    Location
    MN.
    Posts
    2,546
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,370
    Thanked 418 Times in 309 Posts


    Rep Power
    24
    Bummer news. Makes me feel old. After Ed's passing this seems like piling on. I just hope his overall health is good. His voice seems a little trembly in that video at times. Best wishes Dave. One of the best ever. His music will be around forever. Live it up people ! Time flies.I see Elvis is back. LOL !
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  49. 2 users say thank you to 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

    bluemustard (10-04-2021),Terry (10-03-2021)


  50. #33
    Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:48 AM
    Location
    USA! USA! USA!
    Posts
    10,797
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    3,638
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,226 Posts


    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    The one thing that feels oddly uncomfortable about Dave's retirement announcement... it broke with a long held tradition, coming from the Van Halen camp, of never say what's really happening and always "keep em guessing"... them being the fans, media, the world.

    This places a finality where the band, Van Halen, is making it real... the passing of Edward signals that's it, it's over. As obvious as that is... having 3 founding members, 2 former members and Wolfgang Van Halen still around it left open a possibility, however unlikely, that something could come in the future. I'm happy that possibility has been put to rest. Without Eddie... there's no point. It's that simple.

    One final footnote from Roth coming in January... then on to living the dream of retirement life...
    Without Eddie, Van Halen was over. I can't imagine who would have wanted Van Halen to have attempted to continue without Eddie...like, who the fuck would have wanted that?

    Yeah, Dave's announcement in and of itself - just the fact of there being ANY announcement - was certainly out of character with Van Halen's press strategy...which is to say a lack of a strategy, and either doing something tangible or doing nothing and keeping mum. That has certainly been the approach for the last twenty years.

    But I suppose Dave made the announcement because there was something specific to talk about, and to perhaps give folks the heads up that his upcoming shows in January will be his last, so if you wanna see him then here's your last chance.

  51. #34
    Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:48 AM
    Location
    USA! USA! USA!
    Posts
    10,797
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    3,638
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,226 Posts


    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    Not sure why this is news..How long ago was that last solo lp?..When Ed died I considered Dave and Alex retired.

    When Ed died, I tended to doubt Alex was going to do anything going forward...certainly not joining a new band or going on the road or anything.

    With Dave, I was hoping (still am) that he would start putting out some new solo material on one platform or another. That last full-length solo lp of his...not so good.

  52. #35
    formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    twonabomber's Avatar
    Member No
    28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:48 AM
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,209
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 2,102 Times in 1,365 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    I figured Al was done.

  53. #36
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    33,460
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,576
    Thanked 8,736 Times in 5,592 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Prophetic..? Check the last minute starting at the 3:54 mark... the date and Gene Simmons' fat Elvis remarks recently...
    I think we were laughing recently about how much of that video looks wrong now but yeah 2021, chose that I guess because they just added 30 years which was the amount of time jumped back and forward in the first 2 Back to the Future movies.

  54. #37
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    33,460
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,576
    Thanked 8,736 Times in 5,592 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    I've been to the bottom of life and the Lord Jesus Christ saved me and I'm not adding to that in any way,
    Pity he only pulled you up one rung...

  55. #38
    blueretard
    Veteran
    bluemustard's Avatar
    Member No
    19401
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    10-04-2021 @ 01:55 PM
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    1,762
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked 252 Times in 151 Posts


    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Prophetic..? Check the last minute starting at the 3:54 mark... the date and Gene Simmons' fat Elvis remarks recently...

    This is the time I met Dave at LAX airport. He was sooo fucking nicee!! I met a lot of famous rockstars and Diamond Dave , Steve Vai and Prince were the most polite to their fans hahahaha and sweet. I was a lil scared to talk to him..i thought he might beat me up..aww man was I wrong.

  56. Thanked bluemustard for this KICKASS post:

    Jérôme Frenchise (10-04-2021)


  57. #39
    Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    ZahZoo's Avatar
    Member No
    61
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:30 PM
    Location
    3rd Stone From The Sun
    Posts
    8,439
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,075
    Thanked 2,831 Times in 1,828 Posts


    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I think we were laughing recently about how much of that video looks wrong now but yeah 2021, chose that I guess because they just added 30 years which was the amount of time jumped back and forward in the first 2 Back to the Future movies.
    Yeah, there's several elements within that video that would feed the cancel and woke cultures into a frenzy today...

  58. #40
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    33,460
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,576
    Thanked 8,736 Times in 5,592 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Some funny YouTube comments on there as well as a bunch of people highlighting the weird date thing...




    I can't find the name of the director of this video. There is something, actually quite a lot of weird things going on with it. I wonder if he didn't do it himself. Some of the shots are extremely long for a rock video, the last one is 20 seconds without a cut which is strange for a major artist rock video.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 10-04-2021 at 04:49 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-31-2014, 01:02 AM
  2. An Interview With Dave After "1984" And Before "Crazy from The Heat"
    By Jérôme Frenchise in forum Main VH/DLR Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-28-2013, 02:27 AM
  3. "Rainbow Rising"vs"Heaven and hell"vs"Holy diver"
    By Mr Badguy in forum House of Music
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 11-21-2012, 05:54 PM
  4. Improving "Diamond Dave" album & "David Lee Roth's No Holds Bar-B-Que"
    By DFVH5150 in forum VH/DLR Songs And Albums
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 01:29 PM
  5. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 05:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •