X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluemustard
    Veteran
    • Mar 2006

Eddie's gone. I'm not surprised..good move. Some magic feeling died too. I hope he is ok. Maybe he will draw a lot or do a podcast...or just chill. Thanks for the music. Best frontman next to Freddie. Peace , love & Diamond Dave

Comment

• 78/84 guy
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Apr 2005

Bummer news. Makes me feel old. After Ed's passing this seems like piling on. I just hope his overall health is good. His voice seems a little trembly in that video at times. Best wishes Dave. One of the best ever. His music will be around forever. Live it up people ! Time flies.I see Elvis is back. LOL !

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
        The one thing that feels oddly uncomfortable about Dave's retirement announcement... it broke with a long held tradition, coming from the Van Halen camp, of never say what's really happening and always "keep em guessing"... them being the fans, media, the world.

This places a finality where the band, Van Halen, is making it real... the passing of Edward signals that's it, it's over. As obvious as that is... having 3 founding members, 2 former members and Wolfgang Van Halen still around it left open a possibility, however unlikely, that something could come in the future. I'm happy that possibility has been put to rest. Without Eddie... there's no point. It's that simple.

One final footnote from Roth coming in January... then on to living the dream of retirement life...
        Without Eddie, Van Halen was over. I can't imagine who would have wanted Van Halen to have attempted to continue without Eddie...like, who the fuck would have wanted that?

Yeah, Dave's announcement in and of itself - just the fact of there being ANY announcement - was certainly out of character with Van Halen's press strategy...which is to say a lack of a strategy, and either doing something tangible or doing nothing and keeping mum. That has certainly been the approach for the last twenty years.

But I suppose Dave made the announcement because there was something specific to talk about, and to perhaps give folks the heads up that his upcoming shows in January will be his last, so if you wanna see him then here's your last chance.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Fairwrning
          Not sure why this is news..How long ago was that last solo lp?..When Ed died I considered Dave and Alex retired.

When Ed died, I tended to doubt Alex was going to do anything going forward...certainly not joining a new band or going on the road or anything.

With Dave, I was hoping (still am) that he would start putting out some new solo material on one platform or another. That last full-length solo lp of his...not so good.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I figured Al was done.
            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Prophetic..? Check the last minute starting at the 3:54 mark... the date and Gene Simmons' fat Elvis remarks recently...
              I think we were laughing recently about how much of that video looks wrong now but yeah 2021, chose that I guess because they just added 30 years which was the amount of time jumped back and forward in the first 2 Back to the Future movies.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
                I've been to the bottom of life and the Lord Jesus Christ saved me and I'm not adding to that in any way,
                Pity he only pulled you up one rung...

Comment

• bluemustard
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2006

Prophetic..? Check the last minute starting at the 3:54 mark... the date and Gene Simmons' fat Elvis remarks recently...

This is the time I met Dave at LAX airport. He was sooo fucking nicee!! I met a lot of famous rockstars and Diamond Dave , Steve Vai and Prince were the most polite to their fans hahahaha and sweet. I was a lil scared to talk to him..i thought he might beat me up..aww man was I wrong.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                    I think we were laughing recently about how much of that video looks wrong now but yeah 2021, chose that I guess because they just added 30 years which was the amount of time jumped back and forward in the first 2 Back to the Future movies.
                    Yeah, there's several elements within that video that would feed the cancel and woke cultures into a frenzy today...
                    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Some funny YouTube comments on there as well as a bunch of people highlighting the weird date thing...

I can't find the name of the director of this video. There is something, actually quite a lot of weird things going on with it. I wonder if he didn't do it himself. Some of the shots are extremely long for a rock video, the last one is 20 seconds without a cut which is strange for a major artist rock video.
                      Last edited by Seshmeister; 10-04-2021, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• GreenBayLA
                        Sniper
                        • Jan 2006

Just heard the news via Ultimate Classic Rock website today. In my heart I know it's the right move but I still feel sad, end of an era.
                        I first thought it was "quit while you're ahead"or maybe "I'm gonna walk before they make me run." But it's really just Dave knowing when to say when.
                        Unfortunately his loyalty to Eddie kept him under wraps for years when he could've still done shows of material he created with John5, or what if EEAS jam night gig happened and it lead to reunion tour? But I agree, why go through the motions on classic VH with unknowns? Just a reminder of faded glory.

I think Dave still has something to say with his art, podcasts and maybe more music. He might get the itch and do a one-off song (ala Foos Fighters gig) here and there. But that only opens the door for snark and criticism. The A Lil Aint Enough video retirement prognostication is quite ironic but I doubt Gene Simmons is in Dave's head, no room.

As noted Dave seems to hint at more serious health issues, and the "me an Al" talk makes me wonder if he will be a part of Vegas gigs, but does Al ever "jam" with other bands? I don't recall him ever doing it. Also odd that Dave said it was one and only official retirement announcement. Like no one is going to ask him any questions about it? Even if they did Dave would say "great question" then go off on a tangent.
                        Last edited by GreenBayLA; 10-04-2021, 04:05 PM.
                        "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

As I said in my usual genius Dave should have retired over 25 years ago. Now I know Dave fell on hard times in the late 90's into the mid 2000's but the fucker should have know his rock 'n roll lifestyle daze were behind him. He simply cannot sing, mainly what I guess it due to irreversible throat damage due to excessive drinking, smoking and not taking care of his vocal chords and many artist do nowadays. I will say he has kept himself in terrific shape over the years while many of his 80's shit bird colleges (can you say Vince Neil?) look like washed-up roadkill. Ben Schneider of Lord Huron (a cool as shit band you old cretins fuckers never heard of) said it best: "A darkness comes for all of us" he wasn't solely talking about death as he was aging and and the effects of aging on the body. From the recent stage shows Roth has performed he looks arthritic, weary and at times lost as to where he is. Roth has fallen on stage more than once - as Keith Richards and that F A T buttfucker from KISS has also done. That is a bad sign that the body can no longer take the physical grind that a what, 2 to 3 hour concert demands. I don't see acts like Springsteen and Madonna lasting much longer although they have taken good care of themselves and as far as I know don't have other underlying health issues.

I commend Roth for this decision. I really do. His glory days are long behind him, you can only milk nostalgia for so long and there is only so much embarrassment the hardcore fan will tolerate. Roth realizes and has accepted this. I only wish so many in his camp take heed as well.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Ozzy couldn't sing or even carry his carcass across the stage. Paul Stanley croaks his way through shows and needs backing tracks to compensate not to mention more pyro and bombs to cover up the fact the band is lethargic and slow.

But hey, lets all rag on Dave for his shortcomings in recent years.
                            =V V=
                            ole No.1 The finest
                            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet

But hey, lets all rag on Dave for his shortcomings in recent years.

Sure. I'm 100% cool with that.

Comment

• WARF
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Give us mike and Alex for just one final song appearance…..

Comment

Working...