X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silverfish
    Foot Soldier
    • Mar 2007

Triumph Rock & Roll Machine doc

Anyone else looking forward to this one?...

Here's a review from the premier at the 2021 Toronto Int'l. Film Fest:

Triumph: Rock & Roll Machine review - Sam Dunn and Marc Ricciardelli deliver an old-school rockumentary that should please fans of the band.

I've seen most of the Banger Films productions and material vs time spent usually
    leaves me with one in the win column. Not many surprises but if you're looking for
    a look back at "the good ol' days", it's decent entertainment.

And then there's this:

Why Triumph Used to Be Confused With Rush
    Members of Triumph discussed their early years, being confused with Rush and their Spinal Tap moment in an exclusive UCR interview.
    Last edited by silverfish; 11-06-2021, 02:18 PM.
    Originally posted by sadaist
    I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

I remember liking them in the early to mid 1980s. Actually got to see them once on (if memory serves) the Thunder 7 tour. It was an album I didn't care for, but my best bud at the time got several tickets for the show...I seem to recall I initially didn't want to go even though he had said he could get me a ticket, and then whoever he got the ticket for ended up not being able to go so I was re-asked and said sure. It was a good light show with good pyro.

In terms of the studio stuff, I didn't care for much of what the band did after Never Surrender...that post-Surrender stuff came off as too sterile or calculated or whatever. I do remember watching the live vids MTV played for Magic Power and Fight The Good Fight a lot back in 1982 or so.

In the late 1990s or early 2000s - somewhere in there - I remember buying a live Triumph dvd from a show recorded in...1987, I think. The band had added a second guitarist onstage, and the live dvd wasn't to my liking. Then the band released their full set from the US Festival, which I bought and still enjoy. I ended up getting a copy of Triumph Live In Baltimore from 1981 or 1982, which was a proshot gig where the MTV vids I mentioned were taken from. I got the dvd as part of a bootleg trade I did with someone via snail mail. The copy I got ran a little over an hour. Good stuff from when the band (to my mind, anyway) were peaking.

From what I can gather, it's primarily Rik Emmett who has been the one resistant to reforming the band beyond a few one-off gigs here and there. I wasn't particularly upset when I heard the band had stopped working together because by the time Emmett left in the late 1980s I hadn't been paying attention to them for a few years, anyway.

But, yeah, I'd be interested in seeing that documentary. Triumph were a good rock and roll band. They had their moments. Better a Triumph documentary than another one (or ANY one) for Motley Crue, far as I'm concerned.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

I see the director of the Triumph doc is the same guy who put together the Rush doc Beyond The Lighted Stage, which I thought was an EXCELLENT documentary...so while I would never claim I like Triumph nearly as much as I liked Rush, at least the Triumph doc should be competently made if nothing else.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• silverfish
        Foot Soldier
        • Mar 2007

No release info on the doc yet but fans might wanna check this out:

TRIUMPH Announces Opening Of The 'Triumph Vault'
        Fans of classic Canadian rockers TRIUMPH are in for a special treat — the launch of the "Triumph Vault" web site on Tuesday, December 14. By accessing triumphvault.com, fans will be able to discover artifacts from the band's career beginning with a celebration of TRIUMPH's classic 1981 album "Allied...

Some pretty cool stuff.

I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

One of those Triumph Vault items is an Allied Forces 40th Anniversary box set, which contains quite a bit of different stuff inside and is signed by all three band members for $650 USD per box set.

That's really the only item within the vault I'd have interest in, but not - again, I'm not a hardcore Triumph fan, but doubtless there are enough who WOULD pay that amount - for $650 a pop.

I wouldn't even pay a third of that price to see Triumph (or any other band, for that matter) live.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• silverfish
            Foot Soldier
            • Mar 2007

Six minute preview clip shows "...the story of how TRIUMPH rose to the occasion and delivered
            a legendary performance at the US Festival in May 1983 in San Bernardino, California."

A clip from TRIUMPH's first-ever feature documentary about the band's dramatic career, "Triumph: Rock & Roll Machine", can be seen below. In the preview clip, fans can hear the story of how TRIUMPH rose to the occasion and delivered a legendary performance at the US Festival in May 1983 in San B...

The doc is streaming on CRAVE - sign up for free seven days (might need a VPN?):

In a separate Blabbermouth piece Gil Moore says "U.S. Distribution Announcement Coming Soon"

In a new interview with The Metal Voice, drummer Gil Moore of Canadian rock legends TRIUMPH discussed the first-ever feature documentary about the band's dramatic career, "Triumph: Rock & Roll Machine", which was made available last month for streaming in Canada, only on Crave. Produced by Emmy...

Comment

Working...