ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:22 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

JOHN 5 On DAVID LEE ROTH's 'Absolutely Wonderful' Song about Van Halen

JOHN 5 Doesn't Know Why DAVID LEE ROTH Hasn't Released His 'Absolutely Wonderful' Song About VAN HALEN

blabbermouth.net

A year ago, David Lee Roth included five previously unreleased songs in The Roth Project, an online comic narrated by the legendary VAN HALEN singer, with music from John 5 on guitar and bass, Greg Bissonette on drums, Brett Tuggle on keyboards, and Luis Conte on percussion. The tracks "Giddy-Up!", "Somewhere Over The Rainbow Bar And Grill", "Alligator Pants", "Lo-Rez Sunset" and "Manda Bala" were recorded several years ago at Henson Recording Studios in Hollywood, California.

Asked in a new interview with Darren Paltrowitz — host of the "Paltrocast With Darren Paltrowitz" — if he gets a "notice" every time one of the previously unreleased songs from his Roth sessions is officially made available, John 5 said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "I don't get a notice, which is funny. I just find out on Blabbermouth or something. But there's a song that I just can't wait for Dave to release. It's called 'Nothing Could Have Stopped Us' and it's about VAN HALEN. It's my favorite song that I've ever done with Dave, and it is beautiful. I don't know why he's not releasing that one yet. And I just can't wait for people to hear that one. 'Cause it's about VAN HALEN. It's just absolutely wonderful. I just am really looking forward to him releasing that one."

John 5 went on to talk about the recording sessions for the unreleased Roth record, saying: "We had a great time. We had a blast — a lot of laughs, a lot of fun. I'm just so happy that I had that cool working vibe with Dave that we can just jump into the studio anytime and knock out some songs. And I'm very lucky 'cause not a lot of people get a chance to do that with Dave.

He added: "We were all in there together — I remember we were just all in there together. And that's how it was. We were all just doing it together — kind of like the old days, and he wanted to do it like that. And it really was a lot of fun. We had so much fun doing it. And it's one of my fondest memories."

This past August, John 5 told AL.com that the rest of the unreleased Roth record is in the same vein as the songs that have come out, which have a singer/songwriter sound. "[Dave] wanted to do this kind of a more California sessions type of thing," the guitarist explained. "And he's such an artist, I was, like, 'Whatever you want to do, I'm there for you.' So it is that kind of vibe. But there's a lot of multi tracks and different acoustic parts that all work together. It's kind of orchestrated, if you will."

John 5 got his first big break playing on Roth's solo album, "DLR Band", before landing stints with Marilyn Manson and now Rob Zombie. His latest sessions with the iconic VAN HALEN frontman apparently took place at least seven years ago, with John 5 unveiling a snippet of the album during an interview with Masters Of Shred back in May 2019.

Two years ago, Roth was asked by Meltdown of the Detroit radio station WRIF if his LP with John 5 will be made available at some point. He responded: "It will. There's been a revision of things, and I can start making real plans and start marching into the future. And, of course, you'll start hearing that material. This is material that we wrote variously for me solo and for VAN HALEN, and it's quite a bank of stuff."

Roth, who was promoting his Las Vegas residency at the time, didn't offer a possible time frame for the release of the record, explaining that his priority was "getting out on the road first. Let's see the band, let's show ourselves off, let's travel all over the world."

Back in 2015, John 5 told Guitar Player magazine that the sessions for his latest Roth album were remarkably relaxed. "I would just go to his house and I'd write these songs with him, and he would say, 'Let's go into the studio,'" John 5 explained. "So he would go to Henson studio and record these songs. They came out… They're so good. They're so good. And we've got Gregg Bissonette playing drums on it, and I played the bass, and they're really great songs."

The guitarist said that Roth's vocals on the album sound "like nothing you've ever heard. It's old VAN HALEN — sounds like 'Could This Be Magic?' or anything like that. It's just that sound, that tone."

In a 2014 interview, John 5 described the LP as "11 of the greatest songs you'll ever hear, and it's just me and Dave, and we had Gregg Bissonette play drums on it. And it's unbelievable," he said. "You know, just great, great songs."

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Yeah, well, who gives a toss how many great unreleased tracks are languishing unheard...release 'em or don't release 'em: if they're not being released, don't bother talking about them.

Music is meant to be heard.

All that being said, I've really enjoyed the stuff that has been leaked out over the last few years. If there's more stuff of that caliber in the can, get it out there. I'll pay to download/listen to it it...ain't expecting it for free.

Just fucking bizarre as to how Roth has failed to monetize on so many things over the last 25 years that he could have. Then again, I think Dave is just as weird as Eddie was in terms of common sense.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Yeah, well, who gives a toss how many great unreleased tracks are languishing unheard...release 'em or don't release 'em: if they're not being released, don't bother talking about them.

Music is meant to be heard.

All that being said, I've really enjoyed the stuff that has been leaked out over the last few years. If there's more stuff of that caliber in the can, get it out there. I'll pay to download/listen to it it...ain't expecting it for free.

Just fucking bizarre as to how Roth has failed to monetize on so many things over the last 25 years that he could have. Then again, I think Dave is just as weird as Eddie was in terms of common sense.
    It was a very dumb move to leave Van Halen. Sure they had problems so take a bit of a break. They came off a huge record and tour. Actually Ed had more sense than Dave. He was able to keep VH going big and built a great musical equipment brand. Dave seems to be too random to do anything past bullshitting and random projects. He had some good ideas with his skin care line but he’s not in the game serious enough to really grow it into anything. Ed was better at growing a brand than Dave is.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    It was a very dumb move to leave Van Halen. Sure they had problems so take a bit of a break. They came off a huge record and tour. Actually Ed had more sense than Dave. He was able to keep VH going big and built a great musical equipment brand. Dave seems to be too random to do anything past bullshitting and random projects. He had some good ideas with his skin care line but he’s not in the game serious enough to really grow it into anything. Ed was better at growing a brand than Dave is.
    Meh.

Ed slapped his name/logo on a bunch of musical equipment. Not to say for a moment that wasn't successful, although how much input Ed had in any of his various signature equipment brands over the years post-manufacturing - in terms of how the merchandise was marketed and where it was sold - is an open question at best.

Doubtless, 'Ed' kept Van Halen going big after Dave left in 1985, inasmuch as Van Halen had continued success under Hagar. Once Hagar left and the Van Halens took total control of the band, Van Halen slowly but surely cratered. Cratered to the point when by the time 2007 rolled around, the band had no other realistic options other than to get Roth back if they wanted to keep getting big guarantees/big paydays.

Dave...post-YFLM, Dave has just been all over the place. Dunno if it was a function of boredom, or biding his time until he reunited with Van Halen or what. Hey, I'm playing Vegas. Hey, I'm an EMT. Hey, I'm touring with Hagar. Hey, I'm a morning show radio shock jock. Hey, I'm pairing up with a skin cream line. Hey, I'm playing Vegas again.

From all accounts from those who were there, Dave and the Van Halens couldn't work together by the time 1985 rolled around. Would a year-long break in 1985 have been enough to have made a difference in keeping the band together, or were Dave and the Van Halens so burnt out dealing with each other by 1985 that the split was inevitable? Who the fuck knows?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Meh.

Ed slapped his name/logo on a bunch of musical equipment. Not to say for a moment that wasn't successful, although how much input Ed had in any of his various signature equipment brands over the years post-manufacturing - in terms of how the merchandise was marketed and where it was sold - is an open question at best.

Doubtless, 'Ed' kept Van Halen going big after Dave left in 1985, inasmuch as Van Halen had continued success under Hagar. Once Hagar left and the Van Halens took total control of the band, Van Halen slowly but surely cratered. Cratered to the point when by the time 2007 rolled around, the band had no other realistic options other than to get Roth back if they wanted to keep getting big guarantees/big paydays.

Dave...post-YFLM, Dave has just been all over the place. Dunno if it was a function of boredom, or biding his time until he reunited with Van Halen or what. Hey, I'm playing Vegas. Hey, I'm an EMT. Hey, I'm touring with Hagar. Hey, I'm a morning show radio shock jock. Hey, I'm pairing up with a skin cream line. Hey, I'm playing Vegas again.

From all accounts from those who were there, Dave and the Van Halens couldn't work together by the time 1985 rolled around. Would a year-long break in 1985 have been enough to have made a difference in keeping the band together, or were Dave and the Van Halens so burnt out dealing with each other by 1985 that the split was inevitable? Who the fuck knows?
    Ed was very involved in the EVH Brand. EVH was his company. They contracted with Fender to do the manufacturing and distribution. Gretsch has a similar deal because Gretsch is family owned. I talked to someone who works for Dunlop and Ed was totally involved with the MXR line of EVH pedals. He wasn’t just slapping his name on stuff, he was involved in the R&D. It had to pass the Ed ear test and be able to hold up to hard use.

6. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (11-11-2021)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Dave reminds me of a bored trust fund kid. Let’s dabble in this and that. I dated a rich chick that existed in that kind of world. Everything is an art project. It was a fun as hell fling but she wasn’t in the real world at all. Hey if you don’t have to really work to pay the overhead then you can live a Dave kind of life.

8. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

wolfsbane (11-13-2021)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Dave reminds me of a bored trust fund kid. Let’s dabble in this and that. I dated a rich chick that existed in that kind of world. Everything is an art project. It was a fun as hell fling but she wasn’t in the real world at all. Hey if you don’t have to really work to pay the overhead then you can live a Dave kind of life.
    So he reminds you of, you?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Ed was very involved in the EVH Brand. EVH was his company. They contracted with Fender to do the manufacturing and distribution. Gretsch has a similar deal because Gretsch is family owned. I talked to someone who works for Dunlop and Ed was totally involved with the MXR line of EVH pedals. He wasn’t just slapping his name on stuff, he was involved in the R&D. It had to pass the Ed ear test and be able to hold up to hard use.
    Ok but...

11. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (11-11-2021)

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2023 @ 07:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 823 Posts

Intellectual curiosity is it’s own reward, regardless of the starting point.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-28-2022 @ 12:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Please don't start again with the whole Dave v. VH 1985 thing.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsbane View Post
    Please don't start again with the whole Dave v. VH 1985 thing.

Yeah, good luck with that.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    All of which may well be true - I certainly have no reason to think it isn't - but in terms of selling gear to the readers of Guitar World magazine, it was a bit fish-in-the-barrel re: all Ed needed to do was slap his brand name on whatever. Mostly by virtue of the fact that he was...you know, Eddie Van Halen.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

All of which may well be true - I certainly have no reason to think it isn't - but in terms of selling gear to the readers of Guitar World magazine, it was a bit fish-in-the-barrel re: all Ed needed to do was slap his brand name on whatever. Mostly by virtue of the fact that he was...you know, Eddie Van Halen.
    Maybe up to a point but for whatever reason whether it was Ed or advisors or good luck but EVH stuff is very good and often great value too.

17. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

So this is love (11-14-2021)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Maybe up to a point but for whatever reason whether it was Ed or advisors or good luck but EVH stuff is very good and often great value too.

I've certainly never heard or read anything critical from anyone who had purchased Eddie Van Halen guitar gear in terms of said gear not being worth what they paid for it.

19. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

So this is love (11-14-2021)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    EVH gear is all good quality stuff. You pay a slight premium in price but also there's the element of the slight variations in engineering for certain gear like guitar effects pedals that if you desire that different tone/function it's worth it.

I have an EVH Phaser... it's got the Script button which adds a warmer and smoother tone with distortion than a stock MXR Phase 90. So it's more than the original with a red/white/black stripe paint job just slapped on it.

But I'll add... I don't play any Van Halen tunes so my motivation for buying an EVH product was purely function based for my tastes rather than trying to sound like Ed...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

My brother who has been playing for 40 years bought an EVH standard last year, said it was the best guitar he had ever played and immediately went back to the store and bought another.

These things are made in Indonesia, didn't need a setup and cost under $700.

22. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (11-16-2021),ZahZoo (11-19-2021)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    The quality gap between the Standard, Special and USA models has really narrowed so much, it's really hard for me to say the extra $1000+ is worth it for the top end models. In many cases it's just finer finishes, bindings, colors or specialty woods... none of which, really effect tone and especially playability enough to justify the price difference.

24. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (11-19-2021)

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2023 @ 07:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 823 Posts

The difference is the resale value.
    Ok, I never sell my gear, once I own it that’s it.
    But I can’t bring myself to buy anything less than Japanese made.
    Having said that, I see a ton of quality stuff coming out of SE Asia these days.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post
    The difference is the resale value.
    Ok, I never sell my gear, once I own it that’s it.
    Of course this is the great argument we make to ourselves and partners - may as well have the cash in a guitar than sitting in the bank.

I haven't played one but as Zah says I really doubt a EVH USA built guitar can justify being 5 times the price and is it really likely to keep or increase it's value?

It's the same with most manufacturers like Ibanez or whatever but the difference seems to be more extreme with EVH because the price gap is bigger and the cheap ones are so good.

Thread Information