Thread: Ed's out of new Material

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    09-09-2010 @ 01:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Ed's out of new Material

Van Halen has run dry. If Ed really had "10 albums worth of material" they wouldn't be re-using songs with different singers, Like Spammy claimed "Can't Get This Stuff No More" was.

If Eddie really was writing as much as he claims he is, why would 3 of the last 5 albums they've put out be "greatest hits" of some sorts.

1) Van Hagar live
    2) Balance (studio)
    3) BOV I
    4) VH 3 (which SUCKED)
    5) Greatest Hits...again.

...doesn't look to me like a band that's exactly overflowing with new material. Why would Dave want to hitch his wagon to a band that is a few more empty stadium shows away from Poison??
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-24-2021 @ 11:35 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I tend to think that Warner Bros were going to release this greatest hits regardless of a tour. I don't think Ed had any say so.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 10:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Re: Ed's out of new Material

Originally posted by Vanstonica
    Van Halen has run dry. If Ed really had "10 albums worth of material" they wouldn't be re-using songs with different singers, Like Spammy claimed "Can't Get This Stuff No More" was.

If Eddie really was writing as much as he claims he is, why would 3 of the last 5 albums they've put out be "greatest hits" of some sorts.

1) Van Hagar live
    2) Balance (studio)
    3) BOV I
    4) VH 3 (which SUCKED)
    5) Greatest Hits...again.

...doesn't look to me like a band that's exactly overflowing with new material. Why would Dave want to hitch his wagon to a band that is a few more empty stadium shows away from Poison??
    Far be it from me to defend Sammy in any way, but I do recall Roth commenting about the Best Of songs that they had one song already tracked that needed vocals and they wrote one song from scratch. I'm assuming "Can't Get This Stuff No More" was the one that was already tracked.

That said, like you, I question the "10 albums worth of material" claim. I don't doubt that Eddie has loads of old half-conceived licks, chord progressions, and ideas - but fully developed songs suitable for Van Halen-style music? No.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-02-2004 @ 02:03 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I tend to agree with Almost Saved, but also you need to keep in mind that Classic Van Halen still has all kinds of unreleased material. These guys are human. Alot of what they write is shit-and then you get lucky with a few good tunes. Further, it is common among artists to hate the work that actually makes them famous. Stephen King hated Carrie so much that he threw it away upon completion. His wife is the only reason that book ever got submitted to a publisher....Happens all the time. So, I am sure the material is there somewhere, what is lacking is someone to make the material come alive. Someone to sort through the shit, pick whats worthwile, and make those few changes that change a mess into a masterpiece.

guwapo_rocker
    Ed was so drunk down at 5150 that he kept forgetting

what he did the night before. Therefore he kept redoing

the same songs over and over.

He thought he had 120 songs, but in reality he only had 3!!

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 10:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by lms
    So, I am sure the material is there somewhere, what is lacking is someone to make the material come alive. Someone to sort through the shit, pick whats worthwile, and make those few changes that change a mess into a masterpiece.
    I'd prefer to hear Eddie's "shit" in raw form than full songs on a new album with Hagar. I'll bet there's some great guitar material, that gets ruined by the time they organize it, polish it in the studio, and let Sam at it. I hope the vault doesn't end up being like a Frank Zappa situation where Val and Wolfgang play Gail and Dweezil, sitting on the stuff and just throwing us a bone every once in awhile. Either way, Eddie will be dying soon, so we should find out fairly quickly.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    10-15-2007 @ 05:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

yeah i bet the vault is a lot more bare than we all imagine it to be. I bet those "10 albums" is nothing but Ed and Al jamming, just guitar and bass with the occasional bass part that Ed layed down, since they werent talking to Mike in the downtime from 3 to the current tour. We wont hear that material until Eddie dies.

I agree that the Best Of probably was happening regardless, hence the claim in an article that the tracking was picked out already and they were probably asked if they wanted to submit anything new. I tend to think the reunion with Sammy was happening before the Best Of

Atomic Punk
    Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-26-2004 @ 12:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Those Ed & Al jam's would be cool to hear for sure if they exist (which I'm sure they do).

I think the problem with them not getting more new material out is that Ed can't seem to think as simplisticly about his ideas that he needs to. That's where he needs Dave. To get those bits of riffs and ideas worked to form whole songs with a good, catchy punchline. That's what classic Van Halen was all about. Great riffs, and catchy tunes!
    Where's the hook on these new Van Hagar tunes?? They seem forced and unnatural!

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    10-15-2007 @ 05:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

it's all about the hook, without that you are screwed. I spoke to an A&R guy about a year ago and asked him what he looks for, and he basically said if a 13 yr old girl cant sing your hook, your dead in the water and will struggle to sell...granted he was more of a "pop" guy but still kinda holds true.

I really think Ed is not interested in, or thinks about hooks when he is playing...he just kinda plays whatever which is good when it works, not so good if it doesnt

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2010 @ 04:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

He's a loser with money...the worst kind if you ask me.
    Ed hasn't written a good song since 1984, and i even question some of the things he was drifting to then.

He would be better suited for a new tv show called "When Great Rockers Turn Bad" Episode One: From Gold to Cold.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2013 @ 12:19 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Shit forget the new stuff...he can't even play the old....

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,503 Posts

Blog Entries
    Even if Warner Brothers were gonna put out both the Best Ofs/Greatest Hits without the consent of the band, there's just no denying that Van Halen's output lessened after the classic lineup split up.

Classic Van Halen - 6 studio albums in 6 years.

Post classic - 5 studio albums in just under twenty.

Let's say Ed was chomping at the bit to release new material, but didn't have the support of Warner Brothers unless Dave was in the band......nothing stopping EVH from going the indie route like Dave did.

I know, I know, Ed's gone through a lot of shit since 1999. Third singer left the band. Tongue cancer. Record label dropped the band. Wife left him.

Didn't stop him from hitting the links and popping up at NAMM shows did it?

In the last 8 years, the band has released two greatest hits compilations (counting the soon to be released Greatest Hits), one full length album and 5 new bonus tracks for the Best Ofs.

All the above tells me that Van Halen is just spent as a creative force.

Sad to say, but VH has morphed into just another one of the countless acts which go out on the road and flog their back catalog due to an inability to create new music worth listening to.

L.S.D.
    Originally posted by Cathedral
    He's a loser with money...the worst kind if you ask me.
    Ed hasn't written a good song since 1984, and i even question some of the things he was drifting to then.

He would be better suited for a new tv show called "When Great Rockers Turn Bad" Episode One: From Gold to Cold.
    So Eddie is a loser, yet you sit here on a internet message forem and bitch about his career and what he has accomplished?

I think you need to look in the mirror fuckface.

Dumpwaffen SS
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-10-2012 @ 06:38 PM
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by L.S.D.
    So Eddie is a loser, yet you sit here on a internet message forem and bitch about his career and what he has accomplished?

why would he need a mirror? He's not a washed up musician with shit for brains and brains for shit. Ed has lied over and over again and got filthy rich because of some of these lies. We bitch, because real fans care! Thats what this place is for. Jesus, I thought you were smarter than this.

guwapo_rocker

van halen army
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-17-2005 @ 12:39 AM
    Status
    Thanks

guwapo the cock rocker. like i said your post are shit you just like to jump on the fucking band wagon. how many vh shows have you gone to. my guess would be one maybe two. how many dlr shows? if any your just a shit talking sheep. you may not like lsd but the fucker makes sense unlike yourself. and if ed is so washed up go try to play some of his new shit. if you think it is that easy. you may not like sam but give it a break this is evh your talking about. that just tells me your a cock smoker. by the way when does your new cd come out? i can see it in fags store now. gawapo the cock rockers greatest hits album. with songs like guwapo the cock rocker can suck a football through a garden hose. gawapo the cock rocker your such a fag talking bitch that when you take a shit you have no need to push becuse the shit falls out your ass . now go clean your cunt. 6 hrs mother fucker.......

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Huh?

The NEW Van Hagar tunes are HARD to play on guitar?!?? REALLY?!?? You gotta really suck at guitar to think that... "It's About Time" could've been played by fuckin' Billy Corgan, for fuck's sake!! Looks like Ed's sunk to a new level... From GOLD to COLD says it all...

van halen army
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Re: Huh?

Originally posted by scottydabodi
    The NEW Van Hagar tunes are HARD to play on guitar?!?? REALLY?!?? You gotta really suck at guitar to think that... "It's About Time" could've been played by fuckin' Billy Corgan, for fuck's sake!! Looks like Ed's sunk to a new level... From GOLD to COLD says it all...
    fuck billy// your gonna say the lead sucks in its about time.sure if you say so. lets see bill come up with guitar work on shit like learning to see even you know the work is good on that tune. never mind the vocals the guitar work is great.

guwapo_rocker
    Originally posted by rockvanhalen66
    guwapo the cock rocker. like i said your post are shit you just like to jump on the fucking band wagon. how many vh shows have you gone to. my guess would be one maybe two. how many dlr shows? if any your just a shit talking sheep. you may not like lsd but the fucker makes sense unlike yourself. and if ed is so washed up go try to play some of his new shit. if you think it is that easy. you may not like sam but give it a break this is evh your talking about. that just tells me your a cock smoker. by the way when does your new cd come out? i can see it in fags store now. gawapo the cock rockers greatest hits album. with songs like guwapo the cock rocker can suck a football through a garden hose. gawapo the cock rocker your such a fag talking bitch that when you take a shit you have no need to push becuse the shit falls out your ass . now go clean your cunt. 6 hrs mother fucker.......
    Van Halen - Diver Down Toronto MLG
    Van Halen - 1984 Toronto MLG

David Lee Roth - Toronto MLG 1986
    David Lee Roth - Toronto MLG 1988
    David Lee Roth - Toronto Can. Wonderland 1988
    David Lee Roth - Toronto Can. Wonderland 1992 with Cherone
    opening.

Go Fuck yourself moron!!!

van halen army
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker

opening.

guwapo the cock roker your still a puke. ican see you seen a shit load of vh shows not. your what they call a big vh fan not. and wow you must hold the record for the dave shows. double them numbers and you just might be were i am as far as the vh shows go. dlr 3 times fucker. if he was in vh it would be thirteen. so when you talk to peps like me know your shit . that list is not shit. i fuck more then that per day . now go clean your shiter your stinking up the joint.

guwapo_rocker
    guwapo the cock roker your still a puke. ican see you seen a shit load of vh shows not. your what they call a big vh fan not. and wow you must hold the record for the dave shows. double them numbers and you just might be were i am as far as the vh shows go. dlr 3 times fucker. if he was in vh it would be thirteen. so when you talk to peps like me know your shit . that list is not shit. i fuck more then that per day . now go clean your shiter your stinking up the joint.
    Sorry to disappoint you dude. How many times have you seen

CVH live???????? By the way, can you type in English please?

van halen army
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sorry to disappoint you dude. How many times have you seen

CVH live???????? By the way, can you type in English please?
    i told you i seen thirteen vanhalen shows and counting. three shows on this tour. cool shit man nothing like watching the best guitar player on the planet .

guwapo_rocker
    i told you i seen thirteen vanhalen shows and counting. three shows on this tour. cool shit man nothing like watching the best guitar player on the planet .
    Yep, but how many with Dave?

Gotta crash. see ya tomorrow.

van halen army
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yep, but how many with Dave?

Gotta crash. see ya tomorrow.
    see ya tomorrow. we will throw the shit at one another then

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I actually think learning to see has some good moments.
    (taking the vocals away)
    The other two plain suck.
    I agree its seems Ed is running out of material...

So where are these wondrous new songs on the charts now ??

L.S.D.

opening.

a DLR show is not a Van Halen show.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-17-2023 @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Ed's not out of "new material". He just is not gonna waste the good stuff on sam. He is saving it for 2005, when DAVE comes back...OR

He needs DAVE( they need each other) to get the FEEL BACK. It'll happen,just a matter of time...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck... How do I get that belief back again ?

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-17-2023 @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Panamark
    Fuck... How do I get that belief back again ?
    just look at all the positive signs:

No anti-Dave stuff
    No comments from Dave
    96, 2000!
    sammy keeps saying " Im going back to Wabos etc etc
    poor sales, reception of this tour, No real publicity( it looks like the farewell tour for hagar)
    Warner Bros. Wants it
    Dave wants it
    We all want it

FAITH!

guwapo_rocker
    a DLR show is not a Van Halen show.
    A Sammy Hagar/Van Hagar show is gay porn.

Go fuck yourself Van Herpes!

L.S.D.
    A Sammy Hagar/Van Hagar show is gay porn.

Go fuck yourself Van Herpes!
    Enjoy another failed attempt at vegas.

JCOOK
    They should have called the new"tunes" -- Learning to sing(without much luck) Up for breakfast --Up for lunch --Up for dinner --snack! snack! snack! snack!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by DLRoswegony
    just look at all the positive signs:

No anti-Dave stuff
    No comments from Dave
    96, 2000!
    sammy keeps saying " Im going back to Wabos etc etc
    poor sales, reception of this tour, No real publicity( it looks like the farewell tour for hagar)
    Warner Bros. Wants it
    Dave wants it
    We all want it

FAITH!
    Thanks Mate !

Some positive signs for sure, but I still dont get the urge to have my torch lighting matches ready, just yet......

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Ed

If these new tunes are a SAMple of the 10 albums of material this fuckin jerk off has written, I hope the rest of the "music" gets vaulted, and the band breaks up, NEVER TO BE HEARD FROM AGAIN!!! I REFUSE to accept this fucking BULLSHIT Eddie's been putting out as ACCEPTABLE Rock Music... if someone else will let his shit slide, then they can go finger themselves. I WILL NOT, nor will I until Ed gets his head out Sam's ass, and RIPS THE GUITAR!!! Even if he ripped it with HALF the fire he had at one point, then it'd be fine, but he just doesn't give a fuck, Sam doesn't give a fuck, and the Sheep are willing to love it because of their own stupidity/fear. Van Halen=ASS KICKIN' CLASSIC ROCK.... Van Hagar=Pussyass Light FM.

Mr. Awesome
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    01-23-2006 @ 09:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Very True Very True.

van halen army
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

not true not true

Thread Information