Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dave's art. Ed's guitar. Separated at birth?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

Dave's art. Ed's guitar. Separated at birth?

hmmm...

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Jetstream (12-03-2021)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries
    So now we're led to believe Dave invented the famous stripped guitar concept that literally framed Ed's career..?

Hmmmm...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 2,054 Posts

Blog Entries
    He's so fucking clueless and senile these days. Must be the cancer treatment drugs and the radiation chemotherapy fucking with what's left of his minuscule brain cells. Edwardo's "art" was all his own yes, even the god damn reflectors. Roth is a poor man about to be cut from the Van Halen royalty check writing business so he invents this shit. By the way, Beethoven had more than one "hit." So fuck him and the origami horse he rode in on.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Got thirty seconds into the clip, which is about the limit of my endurance these days re: listening to Dave enjoying hearing himself talk.

On the face of it, kinda smacks of claims Roth made a few years ago...dunno if I have the chronology correct, but I think it was when it was made clear in the latter part of 2019 that Van Halen wasn't going to be touring again in the near-future and in advance of Roth doing his Vegas stint that was just prior to his KISS 2020 tour opening slots...when Dave started saying how he would hum the music to solos and Ed would took what Dave hummed and translate that into guitar solos, that Dave was far more instructional in regard to telling Ed what he should be playing on the CVH stuff to a degree that nobody had ever described or claimed before 2019...

And, well, I suppose it may well be true in terms of being within the realm of possibility, just as these claims of Dave 'designing' the color scheme for the Frankenstein guitar may well be true in terms of being inside the realm of possibility, but considering how many vitriolic insider barbs the various members of Van Halen slung at each other in interviews when they weren't getting along, I tend to think if this 'Dave designed Eddie's guitar' claim was true...THAT claim would have been made long before now, and back in the years (1985-2006) when Dave for the most part wasn't getting along well with the Van Halens.

The further down the road Roth has gotten, these types of 'I was the ultimate mastermind behind Classic Van Halen' statements by him have increased in terms of frequency and scope. I tend to give them a grain of salt, mostly because once Roth starts talking - and talking, and talking, and talking - the pace of his speech tends to outstrip his brain. He's a good bullshitter with at times interesting stories and tales to tell; good tales and stories have a degree of truth in them, but also embellishment and self-aggrandizement.

Honestly, I couldn't get through much more than a few minutes of Roth's last couple appearances on the Rogan show. Dave comes across to me more like somebody in a retirement home babbling a stream-of-consciousness patter of non-stop nonsense these days than an interesting rock star interview subject as he did back in the 1980s and 1990s.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

I've definitely heard Roth claim this before, at least a few years ago when Ed was still alive. Maybe even way back on the Roth Radio show. I'm surprised no one else here remembers.

Also he may have his faults but he doesn't usually tell big lies in interviews unlike the rest of them.

I always find it weird how if you look at the comments on the YouTube there are always way more positive than you get here which is kind of meant to be sort of like a bit of a fansite??

So when people aren't bitchin about Roth they are bitchin about how quiet it is here?
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 12-04-2021 at 09:44 PM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I would also like to point out Roth is way more visually artistic than Ed, did all the designs on albums and merch all the way up to the the 2 reunion albums, why does anyone find it unlikely he suggested the masking tape thing early on????

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

This was all Roth's idea for the 1984 Tour:

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I've definitely heard Roth claim this before, at least a few years ago when Ed was still alive. Maybe even way back on the Roth Radio show. I'm surprised no one else here remembers.

Also he may have his faults but he doesn't usually tell big lies in interviews unlike the rest of them.

I always find it weird how if you look at the comments on the YouTube there are always way more positive than you get here which is kind of meant to be sort of like a bit of a fansite??

So when people aren't bitchin about Roth they are bitchin about how quiet it is here?
    There was a time when we had a fair amount of "fans" posting positive comments and generally celebrating Dave and the activities of Van Halen... This place was alive in 2007 through the ADKOT release/tour. In a large part that was fueled by a fair amount of public activity and music involving Dave and the band... It was the slow times and some mismanagement of some of the member/troll culture that sent the positive fans to social media sites.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Leaving us - the negative people.

$5 to the first person that can track down that previous interview where Roth mentioned coming up with the stripes thing. I think he said he stole it from elsewhere, maybe a punk band?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

I probably have it. I saved all the listening threads from DDLR. Not sure what PC it's on though. All I have on this one are the audio files.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I would also like to point out Roth is way more visually artistic than Ed, did all the designs on albums and merch all the way up to the the 2 reunion albums, why does anyone find it unlikely he suggested the masking tape thing early on????

He may well have...I personally have no...what...investment one way or the other if it was Dave and not Eddie.

I just find it weird that it took, at minimum if the Roth Radio show was the first mention of it, 30 years for that claim to have been made...as opposed to Roth making that claim years earlier when Roth and the Van Halens were bitching about each other in the press: "Man, I was the mastermind of that band to the point where I came up with the design for that iconic guitar!"

Like, Dave in the wake of the 1996 fallout would be candid about him and Ed doing cocaine at Ed's wedding, but apparently Dave designing the Franky color scheme was a sacred secret that was somehow off-limits in terms of public disclosure?

Perhaps, but perhaps not.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Out-and-out lies?

I'd like to think not.

I wouldn't think for a moment that Roth's ego - which even the most ardent Roth fan wouldn't disagree is slightly larger than average, certainly when it comes to Van Halen - couldn't possibly cause him to overinflate his role (substantial, to be sure) in terms of what transpired in Van Halen at times. To hear Roth tell it these days, Ted Templeman, Pete Angelus, Noel Monk, Ed Anderson were all basically along for the ride on Roth's coattails in terms of importance/relevance back when CVH was working. Those four guys tell a different story. Where does the truth lie? Somewhere in the middle? Who the fuck knows? Not us with 100% certainty. We weren't there. Hell, those that WERE there were drunk or high on coke more than a little of the time.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The November 2021 issue of Guitar World has a great article on the evolution of the Frankenstrat. But it doesn't attribute any of the original idea to DLR, so this doesn't answer the Dave question. The article also points to Youtuber Johnny B Guitars who made some fascinating videos about Frankie.

http://https://www.guitarworld.com/features/eddie-van-halen-frankenstein-origins

The August 1977 issue of the punk fanzine Slash provides fascinating clues that support a possible inspiration for Ed’s signature striped guitar finish.

A review of several consecutive punk shows at the Whisky from June 20-22, 1977, appears on pages 19 and 20. The review for the second night states, “Van Halen paraded around in what they had been led to believe were the latest punk outfits,” and a photo of Roth and the Van Halen brothers in those outfits is on the issue’s rear cover.

The review section covers two shows by the Dils at the Whisky – one on June 22 and a gig at a later date. The review is accompanied by a photo on page 20 of Dils guitarist Chip Kinman playing a white Les Paul Custom copy adorned with black electrical tape at criss-crossing angles. It looks uncannily similar to, albeit much cruder than, Ed’s black and white Frankenstein design.

Van Halen attended numerous punk shows at the Whisky during the summer of 1977 in the downtime between recording their demos and the album. During this timeframe they even wrote several new songs (Ain’t Talkin’ Bout Love, Loss of Control and Atomic Punk) that were Van Halen’s unique interpretation of punk.

It’s plausible that Ed saw at least one Dils gig at the Whisky in June or early July. Kinman recalls seeing Van Halen at several of the Dils’ gigs at the Whisky and telling his bandmates, “the hippies are here again.”

By the time Van Halen performed on New Year’s Eve 1977 at the Whisky A Go Go, the Frankenstein’s second control knob was gone. One other short-lived but immortal change was captured during the photo session by Elliot Gilbert for the debut album cover images, where Ed replaced the ’61 Strat vibrato with a brass Mighty Mite vibrato tailpiece.
    Last edited by Mushroom; 12-05-2021 at 07:52 PM.

15. Thanked Mushroom for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (12-05-2021)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The idea for the striped pattern was most likely inspired by Chip Kinman of The Dils, a punk band. No idea if Dave copped this or Ed...

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Dave's influence is "proof in the pudding".

All you have to do is compare CVH to Van Hagar.

Musically, stylistically, etc.

I rest my case.

18. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (12-06-2021)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 2,054 Posts

Blog Entries
    Wasn't it "The Shark" that did most of the talking on the early Halen recordings? And whom decorated and gutted that shit out of that geetar? Certainly wasn't Chemo Dave. Now with Edwardo ashes feeding the fish in the Pacific ocean he's no longer around to sign David's royalty check. So Dave resorts to spewing this shit that he was behind it all when what he was really doing was blowing Mr. Templeton for special favors in terms of studio time so Edwad could "Brown Sound" the fuck out of the place.

The Shark was a bad-ass. You know I'm right. Shame Edweird kept on fucking with it until he turned it into this

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Out-and-out lies?

I'd like to think not.

I wouldn't think for a moment that Roth's ego - which even the most ardent Roth fan wouldn't disagree is slightly larger than average, certainly when it comes to Van Halen - couldn't possibly cause him to overinflate his role (substantial, to be sure) in terms of what transpired in Van Halen at times. To hear Roth tell it these days, Ted Templeman, Pete Angelus, Noel Monk, Ed Anderson were all basically along for the ride on Roth's coattails in terms of importance/relevance back when CVH was working. Those four guys tell a different story. Where does the truth lie? Somewhere in the middle? Who the fuck knows? Not us with 100% certainty. We weren't there. Hell, those that WERE there were drunk or high on coke more than a little of the time.
    Ok but what we all got was the greatest American rock and roll band of all time.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Ok but what we all got was the greatest American rock and roll band of all time.
    To be sure.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Dave's influence is "proof in the pudding".

All you have to do is compare CVH to Van Hagar.

Musically, stylistically, etc.

I rest my case.
    Do I HAVE to compare CVH to Van Hagar? Like, is it compulsory?

Look, all I know is...everybody is looking for something

Something to fill in the holes.

We think a lot but don't talk much about it...

Until things get out of control.

Which is to say: you look at every face in the crowd...

Some shine and some keep you guessing.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Do I HAVE to compare CVH to Van Hagar? Like, is it compulsory?

Look, all I know is...everybody is looking for something

Something to fill in the holes.

We think a lot but don't talk much about it...

Until things get out of control.

Which is to say: you look at every face in the crowd...

Some shine and some keep you guessing.
    Vomit. Pure vomit.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Vomit. Pure vomit.
    Hey, man, don't be shuckin' me with all that jive!!

Those lyrics are...KILLER, bro! Some of the best ever...we're talkin' right up there with Page/Plant and Jagger/Richards, which is what everybody says about Van Halen when I was in the band...

You know! Right? It goes:

Lennon/McCartney

then

Sammy Hagar/the guitar player from The Cult (alt. the guitar player from The Bus Boys)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hey, man, don't be shuckin' me with all that jive!!

Those lyrics are...KILLER, bro! Some of the best ever...we're talkin' right up there with Page/Plant and Jagger/Richards, which is what everybody says about Van Halen when I was in the band...

You know! Right? It goes:

Lennon/McCartney

then

Sammy Hagar/the guitar player from The Cult (alt. the guitar player from The Bus Boys)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

On Saturday (December 4), David Lee Roth posted a seven-minute video in which he recalled in great detail the origin story behind Eddie Van Halen’s Frankenstein electric guitar, claiming he was the brains behind the iconic striped aesthetic.

The video was posted in response to comments that drew comparison between Roth’s Big Wave painting and the Frankenstein, with the former Van Halen vocalist dubbing the guitar’s striped motif “my work”.

However, his story has since been disputed by Chris Gill – Guitar World contributor, EVH guitar expert and co-author of Eruption: Conversations with Eddie Van Halen – who blasted Roth’s recollection as “a complete revisionist fabrication” that contains “three key factual errors”.
    GUITAR WORLD LINK

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Goddamn lyin' Roth!!!

And here I thought Sammy was the worst liar in terms of Van Halen frontmen...WRONG!!!!!

Hey, whatever. If Dave remembers it that way...fine.

Just as long as everybody on this thread now knows I was right all along, I'm satisfied.

Nope, no apologies necessary. I'm not gloating.

Man, my life has only been slightly more of a waste than that Guitar World "EVH guitar expert"...but, hey, I'm still winning...winning like AIDS infested Charlie Sheen, but winning nonetheless.
    Last edited by Terry; 12-09-2021 at 06:11 AM.

28. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (12-09-2021)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The article isn't evidence that it wasn't Roth's idea it only disputes exactly how it was done.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    He's so fucking clueless and senile these days. Must be the cancer treatment drugs and the radiation chemotherapy fucking with what's left of his minuscule brain cells. Edwardo's "art" was all his own yes, even the god damn reflectors. Roth is a poor man about to be cut from the Van Halen royalty check writing business so he invents this shit. By the way, Beethoven had more than one "hit." So fuck him and the origami horse he rode in on.
    Ed never mentioned Dave. He built a guitar and it needed paint so he sprayed it black, masked some stripes on it and sprayed it white. He later masked it again and sprayed it red because people were copying his guitar and he wanted to make it look different. He later bought some reflectors at a truck stop and stuck them on the back of the guitar during one of the tours.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Dave is just showing the world what a screwball he really is. I loved classic Van Halen and what he brought to it but Dave is a weirdo.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    He's gotten stranger as he's gotten older, which is to say I find his outward/public persona behavior more and more odd with each passing year.

Is what one sees what one gets with Dave in private vs. public? Only Dave's sheepdogs and hairless Asian 'houseboy' know for sure.

Kinda like that pic Dave posted of himself after somebody had trespassed onto his property, where Roth was decked out in military gear with (if memory serves) a gun at his side: seemed far more weird than cool, in me wondering why [Roth] felt dressing like that and posting a pic of that seemed like a good idea to him.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The article isn't evidence that it wasn't Roth's idea it only disputes exactly how it was done.
    Nope.

Dispute, mispute.

It was evidence.

Incontrovertible: Dave lied, which makes him a liar = Terry was right, which makes Terry...righter.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Anyway, you remember that time Ted Nugent was 30 and was dating a 17 year old...sorry, wrong thread.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Anyway, you remember that time Ted Nugent was 30 and was dating a 17 year old...sorry, wrong thread.
    Typical 70’s rock star shit. That’s what Ted was. Let’s see what we can get away with and be as shocking as possible while doing it.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    He's gotten stranger as he's gotten older, which is to say I find his outward/public persona behavior more and more odd with each passing year.

Is what one sees what one gets with Dave in private vs. public? Only Dave's sheepdogs and hairless Asian 'houseboy' know for sure.

Kinda like that pic Dave posted of himself after somebody had trespassed onto his property, where Roth was decked out in military gear with (if memory serves) a gun at his side: seemed far more weird than cool, in me wondering why [Roth] felt dressing like that and posting a pic of that seemed like a good idea to him.
    It’s insecurity. Insecure people are very calculating on creating a badass image. You will never get to know the real Dave. He doesn’t want anyone to see that and he probably doesn’t know who that is either.

37. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (12-12-2021),Von Halen (12-10-2021)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dave has doubled down on it which is a bad idea true or not.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It amazes me how much people obsess over that guitar. What made that piece of junk sound magical was the guy who played it. Anyone else could play it and they would sound like them. When I see the Frankenstrat I definitely don’t think about Dave, spandex makes me think of Dave.

40. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (12-10-2021)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Is it that inconceivable to think Dave suggested Ed "tape up" his guitar for presentation purposes??

Like this is DLR we're talking about. Ed and Al were shirt and jeans dudes. DLR made CVH burst into technicolor!

Um yeah I'm going to believe a guitar world schmuck than people who were actually there.

Why is Dave saying this now? Who knows. Then again, he's went into the story before I believe on his radio show years back.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    It amazes me how much people obsess over that guitar. What made that piece of junk sound magical was the guy who played it. Anyone else could play it and they would sound like them. When I see the Frankenstrat I definitely don’t think about Dave, spandex makes me think of Dave.
    I think Wolfgang said recently Ed viewed it as a piece of shit and it was just kept lying about on the floor until it ended up in the museum. I'm sure if you played it then it would be way worse than a $500 EVH guitar but middle aged stockbrokers want to believe that if only they but a replica of it for $25000 they will suddenly get great at guitar. I think part of this is because the tapping bit in Eruption can be done after 6 months of taking up guitar people thought/think that their playing will continue rise at that level and when after 5 or 10 or 20 years they still can't play half of the rest of it they think it's something you can just throw money at.

I've done it myself - I remember buying books of guitar tabs back in the day assuming that I would then be able to play stuff ignoring that

a) If I bought sheet music to a Bach concerto would I expect to suddenly be able to play that on piano?
    b) A lot of the tab books weren't accurate at all. Nowadays YouTube is also often wrong but at least it's free, you have video and you can shop around.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The most important part about a guitar is the setup. The nut needs to be cut at the right depth or anything else you do won’t make it better. The neck needs to be straight and then it’s a combination of neck relief and saddle height to get the right action. You can get lower action with properly leveled frets and a compound radius neck but I can make a 12 inch radius neck play great in the upper registers.

Yeah pickups make a difference but if you can’t get most of your sound from your hands all the other stuff isn’t going to help you. It’s like golf. If you can’t play worth shit with a cheap set of clubs a expensive set isn’t going to help you. You have to get your swing down before the equipment really matters that much.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    There are no magic black boxes. Ed could sound like himself playing a Fender Squire beginners set through the cheap little amp that comes with it. Would he sound better through his rig? Sure. But he would sound good on the $150 beginner’s rig.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's the exact same thing with Slash and Prince where you can now buy very expensive copies of their original cheap guitars. Pay tens of thousands for a copy of a copy like that will somehow give you talent.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Ed calls the Frankenstrat a piece of shit in this video and wonders why he played it all those years. Ha! Ha!

Thread Information