Thread: Ted Nugent: David Lee Roth Was ‘Out of His Mind’ When We Met

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-25-2024 @ 04:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Ted Nugent: David Lee Roth Was ‘Out of His Mind’ When We Met

Terrible Ted wishes he could connect with Dave. Ted has a cerebral connection to Sammy Hagar. LoL

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/ted-...avid-lee-roth/

Ted Nugent said he couldn’t have a meaningful conversation with David Lee Roth because the Van Halen frontman was “out of his mind” on drugs.

The guitarist’s comments came during a recent interview on the Paltrocast With Darren Paltrowitz. Asked about Roth, Nugent was initially complimentary.

“I admire and praise his entertainment gifts; he's a monster,” the “Cat Scratch Fever” guitarist declared. “Tell me that all that David Lee Roth music with Van Halen isn't a smile eruption in our life. I mean, what a fun, cocky, soulful guy. He really does evoke, emulate and deliver touches of James Brown and Wilson Pickett and some Motown melodious grunt, and certainly the blues and the gospel and the rhythm and blues masters. You can hear that in David Lee Roth.”

Nugent -- who said he’d interacted with Roth “a few times” over the years -- then went on to explain why he couldn’t have a “meaningful” conversation with the frontman.

"I've always been militantly against substance abuse. And it's an absolute crime -- literally and figuratively -- and David's a perfect example. Again, I love him -- I hope he's happy, I hope he's healthy. He seems to know what happiness and health is; God bless him. Thank you, David, for enriching our lives with your incredible music. God bless you. But tragically -- and this goes to Eddie [Van Halen] too, and my encounters with Jimi Hendrix and so many people -- you couldn't have a meaningful dialogue. It was all stoned disconnect.”

Nugent then compared his experience with Roth to the positive interactions he’d had with other artists.

“When I sat down with B.B. King and when I sit down with a Joe Perry and a Steven Tyler, even though there were moments when it was hopeless -- there were moments… Sammy Hagar's a perfect example. We have a meaningful, man-to-man, human-to-human, fun, deep bullshit session, because he's in tune with himself, and he's real good at getting out of tune with himself. But my point is, I think it's important to note that the incredible amount of hours that I've been honored and humbled to spend with some of the most powerful music authorities in the world, there was nothing to be shared because they were drunk or stoned... All those moments reinforce my anger and hate for people who leave the world to drop out comfortably numb. They don't make anybody happy [when they do that].”

Ultimately, the Motor City Madman lamented his interactions with Roth, adding it would have been great if the two had been able to truly connect.

“Wouldn't it have been great for a smart-ass like David Lee Roth and a smart-ass like Ted Nugent to discuss the art of smart-ass? I would have loved to have had that conversation, but there was no chance for it. The guy was out of his mind."
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    I recall an interview of Nugent's...this was literally decades ago now...maybe 198..2? It was in (I think) Guitar Player magazine, and Nugent had mentioned that he had met Hendrix, Hendrix had offered him a toke on the joint he was smoking, Nugent declined and Hendrix gave him a quizzical look.

I never really thought of Roth along those lines of a drug casualty, even in terms of a rock star who though they didn't die clearly took too many drugs/alcohol to the point where they had obviously fucked themselves up so badly that their output after the drug use was over was basically forever diminished specifically because of their substance abuse. And I still really don't think about Roth along those lines. Doubtless Roth has gotten fucked up here and there along the way, but Roth's output was usually fairly creative and his energy and enthusiasm for whatever he was doing at the time - even with projects where I wasn't thrilled at the end results - never seemed to wane.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,561 Times in 3,449 Posts

Nugent is so full of shit about his straight edge act. He's drank alcohol and did drugs - maybe not the extent of other musicians, but he indeed partook and is a windbag mostly full of shit...

4. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Terry (12-07-2021)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Nugent is a fucking idiot and full of shit (when he isn't covering himself in it to beat the draft).

For a start listen to the interview he did on The David Lee Roth Show radio thing that seemed to go well enough.

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showt...-The-lost-show!

His problem is probably that Roth is way smarter and talking about things that Nugent has no clue about like books and stuff.

Also he lies about not drinking, Von has seen him drinking beers backstage pretty recently.

6. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (12-07-2021)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I know a guy that played with St. Holmes, said Nuge did plenty of drugs. He's a fucking libertarian FFS, of course he did!

If he turned down Hendrix's offer of blunt, it's because it wasn't coke!

8. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Terry (12-07-2021)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I trolled him close to 20 years ago now posing as Joe Rogan until Rogan asked me not to.

This goes back to when here and the Joe Rogan forum were two pretty wild west places on the internet and there ended up being a bit of cross traffic. Rogan had posted that Nugent's forum which was not public you had to register to see any of it, was pretty fucked up. I registered as Joe Rogan and some of the stuff on there was out there - the public Nugent that liberals even then would get up tight about was nothing compared to the persona he showed his inner circle of fans who a lot of whom would now be (or are) Proud Boys types. Also incredible amounts of very strong US military supporting stuff not long after 9-11 at a site like that was not surprising but I've never quite understood how Nugent managed to slip through his history to become the leading light on that among a certain group of people. What do I know, Trump won over the evangelicals.

I went on there with a super extreme right wing persona troll (obviously) to see how far they would go and Rogan got in touch saying it was funny shit but requested I stop doing it under his name which I did. This back when he was the bug eating show guy posting every day that anyone who got married or had kids was a pathetic fucking loser.

Different times.

For some reason the thread that Nugent had put up that I always remember was all this stuff about how he liked to shoot songbirds from his porch before breakfast. He described how you could set up a bird table at a certain range and how it was really good practice and fun to sit blowing them away in the morning because their small size made it challenging and improved your hunting skills. I don't usually give a second thought to songbirds but for some reason that thread bugged me.

Both the Rogan forum and the Nugent one are now long gone.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Interesting stuff about Nugent and the drugs/alcohol...to a degree.

I never was all that crazy about Nugent, even before he became better-known for his political stances than his music.

I do have a sort of vague memory of being a kid in the mid to late 1970s and hearing Cat Scratch Fever played on the radio quite a bit when it was a hit.

Maybe 7 or so years after that, come the mid 1980s when I was jamming with garage bands, one of my garage band buds who was a couple of years older than me had a bunch of Nugent's stuff, mostly on vinyl. By 1984-1985, nobody really gave a shit about Ted Nugent anymore - from what I remember, he wasn't getting much play on the radio of any kind, and if he was making promo music videos I don't recall MTV playing them - but my bud would keep telling me how great Nugent was. Thus, I listened to a bunch of Nugent's stuff in the mid-1980s...

It never really...took, or whatever. One of those things where, like...doubtless Nugent had his moment around 1976 or 1977 or 1978 or so in terms of big time fame. But I never could really get enthused about his music or his guitar playing. And in the 1980s Nugent was pretty easy to ignore in terms of he wasn't having whatever interviews he gave being widely distributed or broadcasted or whatever.

It wasn't really until the late 1990s when Nugent started appearing on shows like Politically Incorrect as a guest that I got a big blast of his Crazy Gun Toting Hunter Loving Ted Nugent persona or personality.

Whatever. He's still pretty easy to ignore these days, in that maybe outside of the song Stranglehold being played once in a blue moon on terrestrial classic rock radio I never hear his music.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,614 Posts

If you could convince a stripper to play Stranglehold you'd get a long lap dance for $10.

Other than that, I got nothin'.

12. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Terry (01-01-2022)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Straight from the forthcoming Twona life hacks book

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I trolled him close to 20 years ago now posing as Joe Rogan until Rogan asked me not to.

This goes back to when here and the Joe Rogan forum were two pretty wild west places on the internet and there ended up being a bit of cross traffic. Rogan had posted that Nugent's forum which was not public you had to register to see any of it, was pretty fucked up. I registered as Joe Rogan and some of the stuff on there was out there - the public Nugent that liberals even then would get up tight about was nothing compared to the persona he showed his inner circle of fans who a lot of whom would now be (or are) Proud Boys types. Also incredible amounts of very strong US military supporting stuff not long after 9-11 at a site like that was not surprising but I've never quite understood how Nugent managed to slip through his history to become the leading light on that among a certain group of people. What do I know, Trump won over the evangelicals.

I went on there with a super extreme right wing persona troll (obviously) to see how far they would go and Rogan got in touch saying it was funny shit but requested I stop doing it under his name which I did. This back when he was the bug eating show guy posting every day that anyone who got married or had kids was a pathetic fucking loser.

Different times.

For some reason the thread that Nugent had put up that I always remember was all this stuff about how he liked to shoot songbirds from his porch before breakfast. He described how you could set up a bird table at a certain range and how it was really good practice and fun to sit blowing them away in the morning because their small size made it challenging and improved your hunting skills. I don't usually give a second thought to songbirds but for some reason that thread bugged me.

Both the Rogan forum and the Nugent one are now long gone.
    I've often wondered that if someone broke into Ted Nugent's house, if he would shit himself and pretend to be gay to get out of it?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

According to Snopes the story about him covering himself in his own shit to avoid the Vietnam draft hasn't been verified but I think that's because the source of the story was Nugent himself back in the day so either way WTF.

He did get a medical deferment but there is no record now if it was for mental reasons or not. It appears he had an education deferment but then had to get another one, probably because he was thrown out of college. It was a stupid horrible war especially by that point and many of us might have tried to get out of it, the reason for bringing it up is the spectacular hypocrisy of him always being so desperate to send other American kids to war.

There is of course also the dodgy guardianship of a 17 year old when he was 30 to beat under age consent laws and the fact he denied COVID even existed right until he caught it earlier this year.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 12-07-2021 at 11:42 PM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

You don't write a song like this without being high......

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    That's right...I had forgotten Nugent was a draft-dodger.

Which, certainly within the context of the Vietnam War, I can understand, although I would be willing to bet more than a few of the Vietnam-era men who dodged the draft weren't doing it so much out of any principles re: the particular harshness of the Vietnam War but merely not wanting to go to any war and risk being killed, which is certainly an understandable sentiment.

But it's the chicken hawk nature of those dodgers afterward who, in subsequent wars, were all "rah rah" about sending the US military in to fight, convenient for those chicken hawks in that they wouldn't be doing any of the fighting because they were by then too old to be conscripted and because after Vietnam the draft had been abolished. THAT attitude is reprehensible: advocate for armed conflict as necessary on occasion to re-establish international order or whatever, but only as a last resort, and not something to be cheered on...if war was a serious enough business to be dodged/avoided, then surely it is still a serious enough business to avoid jingoistic sloganeering to propagate the need for it.

Yeah, I am sort of remembering now why Nugent's Super Patriot Rock Man persona was a bit hollow...but hey, he got to have his picture taken in the Oval Office next to Donald Trump and Sarah Palin, so I guess it was all worth it.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

Also he lies about not drinking, Von has seen him drinking beers backstage pretty recently.
    Ha ha! Not that "recent" anymore Sesh! That was on the Roth/Clichegar tour! He was hanging with Clichegar backstage and yes, had a drink in his hand. Even so, I don't believe NickDelusional's friend of a friend of a friends cousin, that Nugent did drugs. He's a whacky dude for sure, but I don't believe he ever did the drug thing. As far as his comments about Roth, those I believe. I have no problem with what he said, as it is more than likely true. Ted isn't the first person to accuse Roth of partaking in drug use.

Ted bailed out of Michigan for Texas many years ago now. Supposedly he burned a lot of people out of money before he left. He used to keep places in both States, as he has always been a massive Michigan supporter. But he rarely comes back anymore, or says much about Michigan these days. Probably because of our ignorant illiterate cunt of Governor.

Speaking of NickDelusional, I'll be in downtown Buffalo tonight Nick. Want to go to the ghetto and get some wings, or are you still scared to venture out of whiteyville?

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    I find it odd that the Teddy Boy gave any interview where he is not sucking Alex Jone$ dick.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    That's pussy pseudo-drug muzak. No one who ever dropped a tab thinks this tune is actually about tripping

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post

So high he forgot to plug in his guitar.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Ha ha! Not that "recent" anymore Sesh! That was on the Roth/Clichegar tour! He was hanging with Clichegar backstage and yes, had a drink in his hand.
    At this point anything within 20 years is recent.

23. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (12-09-2021)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ha ha! Not that "recent" anymore Sesh! That was on the Roth/Clichegar tour! He was hanging with Clichegar backstage and yes, had a drink in his hand. Even so, I don't believe NickDelusional's friend of a friend of a friends cousin, that Nugent did drugs. He's a whacky dude for sure, but I don't believe he ever did the drug thing. As far as his comments about Roth, those I believe. I have no problem with what he said, as it is more than likely true. Ted isn't the first person to accuse Roth of partaking in drug use.

Ted bailed out of Michigan for Texas many years ago now. Supposedly he burned a lot of people out of money before he left. He used to keep places in both States, as he has always been a massive Michigan supporter. But he rarely comes back anymore, or says much about Michigan these days. Probably because of our ignorant illiterate cunt of Governor.
    No Von Helen, not a "friend of a friend or a friend", but a local musician that was on a (albeit small time) recording contract. He played with Derek St Holmes on more than one occasion here on his bar/small casino visits.

I'll ask him in detail tomorrow but he I think he said Holmes said Nugent is full of shit and while he didn't do a lot he had done some drugs in The Amboy Dukes era and that he isn't the straight edge American hero he lets on...

Speaking of NickDelusional, I'll be in downtown Buffalo tonight Nick. Want to go to the ghetto and get some wings, or are you still scared to venture out of whiteyville?
    Well fuck I just saw this, text me if your here tomorrow. I assume you mean Williamsville but the best wings are in the more questionable ghetto peripheral areas! Where do you think they were invented! ?

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...SAQoip6BAhdEAM

You picked a shitty unexpected snowday to visit!
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 12-08-2021 at 10:02 PM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I just reread your last sentence Vonnie as I am a bit nipped, I LIVE near the ghetto and frequent the biggest wing place here, which incidentally is far whiter than it was say 20-30 years ago...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I just reread your last sentence Vonnie as I am a bit nipped, I LIVE near the ghetto and frequent the biggest wing place here, which incidentally is far whiter than it was say 20-30 years ago...

Would you say buffalo wings actually made in Buffalo taste better than buffalo wings made outside of Buffalo?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

We went to Duffs instead. Been to Anchor many times. I have involuntarily taken over calling on the GM Tonawanda plant, so I will unfortunately be back in Buffashithole at least once a quarter.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries

Your Governor looks like you would need a safety word if you went back to her place on a date.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    That's right...I had forgotten Nugent was a draft-dodger.

Which, certainly within the context of the Vietnam War, I can understand, although I would be willing to bet more than a few of the Vietnam-era men who dodged the draft weren't doing it so much out of any principles re: the particular harshness of the Vietnam War but merely not wanting to go to any war and risk being killed, which is certainly an understandable sentiment.

But it's the chicken hawk nature of those dodgers afterward who, in subsequent wars, were all "rah rah" about sending the US military in to fight, convenient for those chicken hawks in that they wouldn't be doing any of the fighting because they were by then too old to be conscripted and because after Vietnam the draft had been abolished. THAT attitude is reprehensible: advocate for armed conflict as necessary on occasion to re-establish international order or whatever, but only as a last resort, and not something to be cheered on...if war was a serious enough business to be dodged/avoided, then surely it is still a serious enough business to avoid jingoistic sloganeering to propagate the need for it.

Yeah, I am sort of remembering now why Nugent's Super Patriot Rock Man persona was a bit hollow...but hey, he got to have his picture taken in the Oval Office next to Donald Trump and Sarah Palin, so I guess it was all worth it.
    Ted was past his sell date so he became a political pundit. Ted is an attention whore. He probably makes enough money from his hunting ranches and businesses to disappear and do that but the lack of attention would drive Ted crazy. Most people hate politics but you have political enthusiasts on both the left and the right and you have pundits who cater to these people and make a lot of money bashing the other side and telling their followers what they want to hear. They actually accomplish nothing but they make a lot of noise and stir fights and stroke off in the circle jerk and people buy their shit and watch their shows.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    I find it odd that the Teddy Boy gave any interview where he is not sucking Alex Jone$ dick.
    That would be a great accomplishment. Alex has a small dick and you would have to find it under all them folds.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Anyways if you cry and bitch about Ted Nugent you are just doing what he wants you to do. He’s out to trigger you. Ted loves it. How you drive a guy like Ted crazy is you ignore him. If everyone ignored Ted Nugent it would drive him nuts. Attention is what he’s really about.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah, well, there has never been a shortage of trolls/attention whores in this world, even long before they were labelled as such. Don't see a shortage coming anytime soon, either.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We went to Duffs instead. Been to Anchor many times. I have involuntarily taken over calling on the GM Tonawanda plant, so I will unfortunately be back in Buffashithole at least once a quarter.
    See you next time buddy. Maybe we can go where the wings are actually good and avoid the tourist traps...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Your Governor looks like you would need a safety word if you went back to her place on a date.
    So she's into S&M? my ex-governor would love that!

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    11-28-2023 @ 12:44 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Thanks for sharing my Nuge interview (or at least the clickbaited version from UCR)

I was asking The Nuge about DLR primarily with hopes of getting something for "The DLR Cast." That didn't pan out as planned, haha.

But they offered me another Nugent interview for March or April, so clearly they didn't hate the coverage that came from the DLR stuff.

36. Thanked paltrowitz for this KICKASS post:

Mushroom (12-15-2021)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Gentrification is the new white ghetto. American industry is long dead. It's all about sushi restaurants and overpriced coffee and wine bars for recent college grads with no fucking identity of their own. Take a look at WikiNiki's shitty Buffablow neighborhood. What gentrification is is nothing more than an housing investment done by banks they buy up disinvestment property in dilapidated neighborhoods in order maintenance arrests and proactive arrests. The police called this "maintenance arrests" where once poor run down neighborhoods nobody ever gave a fuck about are now subject to trespassing and loitering and public intoxication and proactive arrests are the more intense ones like for drug possession or weapons possession or driving while intoxicated, the police have to more proactively find. So even in these two sort of distinct types of low-level policing, we see a correlation with housing investment.

So again, Von is clueless and full of shit. This is happening everywhere all over America. The "ghetto" is now turning white and more racist than ever. "Economic development" is the new police state. When more and more middle-class to upper middle-class people come into a a renovated gentrification neighborhood, they’re going to be utilizing the police like a god damn customer service hotline, and that trendy rich college grad white people call the police to kick all the undesirables (i.e., the poor blacks) out.

Yeah, I'm saying Wikiniki lives in a racist neighborhood. And since Von himself is nothing more than a fucking racist I don't see what the problem here is
    Last edited by Kristy; 12-13-2021 at 09:43 AM.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ted Nugent’s best recording was Damn Yankees debut album

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    Ted Nugent’s best recording was Damn Yankees debut album
    Better than Double Live Gonzo?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Better than My Uzi Is My Penis?

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Better than Double Live Gonzo?
    Yes. Granted I was a little too young at the time (1977-78) to know any better. Today, I know better.

diamonddavidleeroth.com
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-17-2022 @ 12:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

And this Ted Nudge guy is out of his fucking mind NOW.. BTW check Painkiller' s lyrics...Full of coke' s refferences... fucking hypocrite

Thread Information