ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,402 Times in 6,057 Posts

Chickenfoot find another way to monetize death of Eddie Van Halen

Rather than risk some money going to the estate of Eddie Van Halen by using his EVH branded equipment, diminutive baldy non songwriter Joe Satriani has announced he is going to sponsor another brand instead.

Worried about not making enough money as a Van Halen tribute act in their 'Worst of All Worlds' tour, mediocre band Chickenfoot are hoping to boost their ill gotten loot with sponsorships.

https://guitar.com/news/music-news/j...tYGxU9pwzWfvyY
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (01-18-2024)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,063 Posts

Blog Entries
    This was far more interesting and somewhat relatable read:

https://guitar.com/features/opinion-...ana-van-halen/

Hendrix, Lennon, even the Lizard King has been grave robbed so many times there is no longer a corpse there - just a cash cow. But was Jim ever really buried?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Terry (01-19-2024)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-19-2024 @ 03:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    Eddie used stock four input Marshall’s. I have a Metropoulos 68 Plexi clone that is as exact of a copy of Ed’s 68 as you can get. I even have two Ohmite variacs like he used and a EVH 4x12 which is pretty close to what he used in the old days. Live Ed had several four input Marshall’s to choose from. Some were late 60’s and some were even late 70’s with the square switches. Nothing was modded or hot rodded. You run the amp around 89 volts and turn the bias pot inside the amp all the way up. One key to getting the sound is to have lower voltage on the tube filaments. If you have a EVH 5150 III the first two preamp tubes run have a lower filament voltage. I also have a Dave Friedman modded small box Marshall. I can get a pretty good EVH tone on that. It’s mostly in the hands. A 5150 will sound more grainy than a variaced Marshall. You can get a decent EVH tone using various stuff if you have the hands to do it. There’s no magic black boxes. As far as pickups go, I’ve gotten a great classic tone with Seymour Duncan 58’s and DiMarzio Super Distortions.

Joe should be able to get close using his Ibanez and JVM Marshall’s. He’s way off because he plays different. A new amp really isn’t going to make that much of a difference. If Ed was still around he could play Joe’s rig and sound like Ed.

6. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (01-19-2024)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,093 Times in 2,004 Posts

Blog Entries
    I believe Ed used the Marshalls from 85 -91, then switched to the Peavey 5150's in 92... if Joe's trying to capture that sound/tone the Marshalls would be a better choice.

For what few CVH material Hagar will include for that Tribute thang... the Marshalls would cover that too.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Eddie used stock four input Marshall’s. I have a Metropoulos 68 Plexi clone that is as exact of a copy of Ed’s 68 as you can get. I even have two Ohmite variacs like he used and a EVH 4x12 which is pretty close to what he used in the old days. Live Ed had several four input Marshall’s to choose from. Some were late 60’s and some were even late 70’s with the square switches. Nothing was modded or hot rodded. You run the amp around 89 volts and turn the bias pot inside the amp all the way up. One key to getting the sound is to have lower voltage on the tube filaments. If you have a EVH 5150 III the first two preamp tubes run have a lower filament voltage. I also have a Dave Friedman modded small box Marshall. I can get a pretty good EVH tone on that. It’s mostly in the hands. A 5150 will sound more grainy than a variaced Marshall. You can get a decent EVH tone using various stuff if you have the hands to do it. There’s no magic black boxes. As far as pickups go, I’ve gotten a great classic tone with Seymour Duncan 58’s and DiMarzio Super Distortions.

Joe should be able to get close using his Ibanez and JVM Marshall’s. He’s way off because he plays different. A new amp really isn’t going to make that much of a difference. If Ed was still around he could play Joe’s rig and sound like Ed.
    I can get an Eddie Van Halen "brown sound" just fine with either my Ibanez Edge III or my Charvel San Dimas, both of which have stock pickups, along with a Pro-Co Rat distortion pedal and a Peavey 15 Watt amp which was bought off the shelf and hasn't been modified. No diddling around with voltage, nothing.

Truth be told, when I saw Eddie in 2008 and 2012, his live sound wasn't all that distinctive to my ears. Am assuming he was playing with his own line of signature guitars and amps for both of those tours. It sounded fine but didn't particularly stand out to me as something all that unique in terms of tone or sonics...his tone and more so the way he played on those CVH albums WAS something that stood out, to be sure. But Ed playing through his signature gear in the 2000's...I tend to doubt concertgoers were picking up much by way of nuanced tones at the volumes the band were playing at anyway.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    This was far more interesting and somewhat relatable read:

https://guitar.com/features/opinion-...ana-van-halen/

Hendrix, Lennon, even the Lizard King has been grave robbed so many times there is no longer a corpse there - just a cash cow. But was Jim ever really buried?
    The officially unreleased Van Halen stuff that has been bootlegged and leaked out over the last few decades (as recently as a few months ago somebody posted some instrumental tracks from the WACF sessions that for all the world sound like they were complete although scrapped tracks that hadn't had any vocals added) is a bit different from the Hendrix, Lennon and Doors stuff. With the Van Halen material, a lot of it is either old demos, studio outtakes or live recordings taken from either the soundboard or somebody in the audience recording it. Contrasted with the other three you mentioned, where there were ample instances with each of somebody else adding stuff posthumously, be it the other Beatles creating new tracks around old Lennon demos, or the surviving Doors taking Morrison's poetry reading audio recordings and constructing An American Prayer and of course Jimi Hendrix where all the stuff he had been recording after the Electric Ladyland album had been released up until HIS death...that nearly 2 year period when he was recording stuff for the follow-up to Electric Ladyland, all THAT material has been released on...I dunno...twenty or more records going as far back as 1971.

With Van Halen, I mean...like I said, that type of stuff has been leaking out for years. And as we've seen recently via Donington 1984 and the WACF stuff, it's apparently gonna keep happening. Be it a case of copies of the various source materials are in private collections already and beyond control of the family or estate or whatever. Makes little sense for Wolfgang or Alex to just sit on whatever is in the 5150 archives only to have that stuff publicly leaked out anyway, since whatever Ed's wishes were isn't going to prevent the bootlegging...too much material has already been put out there, so the cat has been out of the bag forever anyway.

10. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (01-19-2024)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,063 Posts

Blog Entries
    How many Hendrix albums have been released posthumously? The number has to be well over 300.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I can get an Eddie Van Halen "brown sound" just fine with either my Ibanez Edge III or my Charvel San Dimas, both of which have stock pickups, along with a Pro-Co Rat distortion pedal and a Peavey 15 Watt amp which was bought off the shelf and hasn't been modified. No diddling around with voltage, nothing.

Truth be told, when I saw Eddie in 2008 and 2012, his live sound wasn't all that distinctive to my ears. Am assuming he was playing with his own line of signature guitars and amps for both of those tours. It sounded fine but didn't particularly stand out to me as something all that unique in terms of tone or sonics...his tone and more so the way he played on those CVH albums WAS something that stood out, to be sure. But Ed playing through his signature gear in the 2000's...I tend to doubt concertgoers were picking up much by way of nuanced tones at the volumes the band were playing at anyway.
    It’s amazing how people sound different through the same guitar and amp set the same. One person will sound great and another will sound like something is broken.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think my San Dimas has a JB at the bridge and a 58 at the neck. Yeah the Rat will do it if you have the filter dialed in right. I was right at the front of the stage at an 84 show right in front of Ed’s mic stand. I could hear his backline and it was just a blazing Marshall sound. But damn Ed could make it talk. Those Flag System cabs on stage sounded pretty good.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I’ve held onto my Dan Dimas over the years. It’s like a pair of blue jeans. The more worm and broken in it gets the better it is.

15. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (01-19-2024)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I never saw any JCM 800’s in Ed’s rig. I did see some mid to late 70’s Super Leads. Marshall did make a limited run of 50 and 100 watt MKII’s in 1988. I have one of those.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    How many Hendrix albums have been released posthumously? The number has to be well over 300.
    There have been maybe 125 total posthumous Hendrix releases, give or take a dozen.

About half of those were various live recordings.

Far as the studio stuff, the bulk of that concerned that material Hendrix was working on from the fall of 1968 through the summer of 1970. There was quite a bit of that stuff to use, and a lot of it was pretty close to having been finished outside of some overdubbing and final mixing. Virtually all of that material was put on on releases from 1971 through 1975. At least with that material, there were quite a few unreleased recordings that I thought were quite good...one can listen to that stuff and get a fairly good feel for what Hendrix had been coming up with in the last year and a half or so before he died...stuff that deserved to be heard.

When the Hendrix family got total control of the recordings in the mid 1990's, they released an album called First Rays Of The New Rising Sun. THAT was a decent release, in that it compiled the best of those early to mid 1970's posthumous releases - many of which by the mid-1990's were long out of print - and had Eddie Kramer remix the recordings. After that, 'new' Hendrix albums were put out containing tracks that in some cases were little more than home recordings Hendrix had made just to get ideas down on tape...really scraping the bottom of the well.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah ok but why isn't little Joe using EVH amps?

Good enough for Ed but not for him? Because he wants to better replicate the shitty beige soccer mom years of the Hagar abortion?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Some people don’t like the EVH amps. I would rather play through a Suhr SL68 for classic VH or a Friedman BE 100 for the higher gain stuff. I’m not really a fan of the 5150 amps. Too much gain and they are kind of steril sounding. Joe Should just play his JVM. If he can’t do it with that he’s not going to do it with anything else.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 01-19-2024 at 11:29 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    For some reason Ed always wanted more gain. I thought the Peavey amps sounded horrible. I think the better sounding amps were the stealth ones he used on his last tour.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,093 Times in 2,004 Posts

Blog Entries
    You and Terry were way off... Hendrix only had 808 releases.

165 albums, 172 singles/EPs, 390 compilations, 54 videos, 27 misc.

Not bad for a guy who only released 7 albums officially from 67-70...

https://www.discogs.com/artist/110593-Jimi-Hendrix

22. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (01-20-2024)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

For some reason Ed always wanted more gain.
    I heard a theory that this was because he had lost a lot of his upper hearing range as he got older.

Producers usually hate lots of gain when recording but guitarists like to hide behind it. Maybe when Ed only had yes men after Ted T no one dared tell him to pull it back.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Ed liked the high gain because it was easier to play and get all the subtle stuff he was doing to come through. Ed always liked a responsive amp. As far as compensating for high frequency hearing loss. That’s probably true. The 5150 is basically a Soldano with some different voicing and a clean channel. People like them for metal.

I like single volume amps myself. I play through a FUCHS Train 45. No hiding behind anything with those amps.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think if I was going to buy an amp in the EVH 5150 price range that could do the classic VH thing well but also be a all around great amp including a good Fenderish clean channel it would be a Friedman Runt 50. It’s better built than a 5150 and does all the classic stuff better. If you want ultra high gain you will have to use a metal pedal of some kind.

I picked up a Runt 20 because I got a killer price on one. Great little lightweight practice amp with a good line out and FX loop. You get more features and more headroom with the 50 watt.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I like the EVH cabs. Well built and the price is reasonable for what you are getting. MojoTone cabs are great for the money as well.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 08:48 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Ed liked the high gain because it was easier to play and get all the subtle stuff he was doing to come through. Ed always liked a responsive amp. As far as compensating for high frequency hearing loss. That’s probably true. The 5150 is basically a Soldano with some different voicing and a clean channel. People like them for metal.

I like single volume amps myself. I play through a FUCHS Train 45. No hiding behind anything with those amps.
    Did Ed use the Soldano SlO for a large part of the Hagar Unlawful Carnal Knowledge record or just on a track or two?
    Interesting article here:
    https://projectevh.com/2015/09/23/soldano-slo-100/

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nick500 View Post
    Did Ed use the Soldano SlO for a large part of the Hagar Unlawful Carnal Knowledge record or just on a track or two?
    Interesting article here:
    https://projectevh.com/2015/09/23/soldano-slo-100/
    He used a Soldano and he also used a preamp Bob Bradshaw built. Ed used a Soldano at the Cabo Wabo opening as well. I guess higher gain complimented Sammy’s screaming better.

That era is all pajamas, baby oil and butt plugs. I feel I need to take a shower every time I hear Van Hagar.

Thread Information