This is the "Real Deal" 2007 Fender Custom Shop Masterbuilt EVH Eddie Van Halen Frank

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Mushroom
    How about a volume pedal?
    I think that could change the sound also the 2 channels share the same gain which isn't ideal.

3 years ago Fender released a kit so that you could retro fit the extra volume and gain controls but you can only do it at an authorized Fender place and looks like it's $200 or so. I would happily do that but after a couple of hours looking I can't find anywhere that does it in the UK. A workaround would maybe be a good quality EQ pedal but it still means hitting two pedals when switching from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1 which isn't ideal and also doesn't solve the gain problem.

Most of the time it's not been a big issue for me I just use the volume on the guitar but it does make the amp effectively 2 channel not 3. It's extra annoying because the clean channel is really good.

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

The Peavey 6505 (former 5150) amps are pretty good too. I have the 6505MH. It does the low wattage thing and has a USB out, shows up as an instrument in a DAW. Don't play the Wolfgangs through it too much, so far mostly the Ravelle and the Fireman. I found the matching Peavey cab a few months after I got the amp.

Those cheap OLP EVH knockoffs have necks that are pretty close to the Wolfgang carve. I have three, last one I got was black sparkle and I just might stripe it. I haven't tried one of the Sterling copies but I bet the neck is similar to the Wolfgang carve.

I picked up a couple EVH hard cases for my two newer Wolfgangs. I'd like to find one for the Peavey.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
        The Peavey 6505 (former 5150) amps are pretty good too. I have the 6505MH. It does the low wattage thing and has a USB out, shows up as an instrument in a DAW. Don't play the Wolfgangs through it too much, so far mostly the Ravelle and the Fireman. I found the matching Peavey cab a few months after I got the amp.

Those cheap OLP EVH knockoffs have necks that are pretty close to the Wolfgang carve. I have three, last one I got was black sparkle and I just might stripe it. I haven't tried one of the Sterling copies but I bet the neck is similar to the Wolfgang carve.

I picked up a couple EVH hard cases for my two newer Wolfgangs. I'd like to find one for the Peavey.
        I had a 6505+ and it never gave me any trouble.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

The Wolfgang neck is basically a Kramer Pacer neck. Ed built his 5150 Kramer out of Pacer parts. They glued some extra wood to the headstock so they could cut a hockey stick peg head. They scanned that Kramer neck and based the Musicman and Wolfgang necks on it. Then Peavey and EVH made a compound radius fretboard. This makes playing in the upper registers easier.

Van Halen guitars shouldn’t be all that expensive. The bodies are basswood and the necks are hard rock maple. Not much to them. So yeah you could make pretty good overseas copies that would play pretty good. You can save money not using birdseye maple in the neck and basswood isn’t expensive. Where you want to put the money is in the tremolo system. I like the original Floyd Rose ones because the metallurgy and build quality are good. You want good quality pickups as well. You could save some dough just putting one pickup in.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            I think that could change the sound also the 2 channels share the same gain which isn't ideal.

3 years ago Fender released a kit so that you could retro fit the extra volume and gain controls but you can only do it at an authorized Fender place and looks like it's $200 or so. I would happily do that but after a couple of hours looking I can't find anywhere that does it in the UK. A workaround would maybe be a good quality EQ pedal but it still means hitting two pedals when switching from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1 which isn't ideal and also doesn't solve the gain problem.

Most of the time it's not been a big issue for me I just use the volume on the guitar but it does make the amp effectively 2 channel not 3. It's extra annoying because the clean channel is really good.
            People use that amp just for the clean channel. Ed mostly used the red channel. They figured most people got a 5150 to go balls to the wall. They later found people were using all three channels so they redesigned the amp to be a proper three channel amp. I’m glad I didn’t buy the early ones and waited.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Well if anyone knows how to get it modded in the UK please let me know.

I'm surprised that I can't find an answer to this on the internet I may need to actually telephone some humans which is always the last resort in this day in age.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                Well if anyone knows how to get it modded in the UK please let me know.

I'm surprised that I can't find an answer to this on the internet I may need to actually telephone some humans which is always the last resort in this day in age.
                Modding it might be a bitch. It’s circuit board construction which can be tricky to mod. Also anytime you change something on a amp you can change the tone. Amp designers take a lot of time laying the traces on their boards out because the length of the trace and the placement of the components all affect the tone. Amp design is more of an art than a science. You definitely would want to hear a modded amp before having your own modded. You would hate to have those extra controls added and find that nice clean tone has gone to shit.

Comment

Working...