Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Mark Lanegan, Grunge Pioneer and Screaming Trees Singer, Dead at 57

rollingstone.com
    Rolling Stone
    Kory Grow
    16-20 minutes
    February 22, 2022 3:03PM ET
    Mark Lanegan, Grunge Pioneer and Screaming Trees Singer, Dead at 57

Musician also played with Queens of the Stone Age, released 11 solo albums, and authored numerous books

Mark Lanegan, the gruff-voiced singer who fronted Screaming Trees before embarking on a successful solo career, has died. A rep for the artist confirmed that the artist died at his home in Killarney, Ireland. “No other information is available at this time,” the publicist wrote. “The family asks everyone to respect their privacy at this time.” Lanegan was 57.

Lanegan rose to prominence in the late Eighties and early Nineties as frontman for Screaming Trees, the psychedelic-leaning, Ellensburg, Washington hard-rock group that foreshadowed grunge. His deep, dramatic voice gave weight to guitarist-songwriter Gary Lee Conner’s compositions in the band’s early days before he took more of an active role himself.

The group scored Top 10 hits on Billboard’s Modern Rock chart with the singles “Nearly Lost You” and “All I Know.” During his time in Trees, Lanegan launched a concurrent solo career, beginning with 1990’s The Winding Sheet, an album that featured guest appearances by Nirvana’s Kurt Cobain and Krist Novoselic. He continued with his solo career after the dissolution of Screaming Trees in 2000, frequently making guest appearances with Queens of the Stone Age and teaming with former Belle and Sebastian singer Isobel Campbell, Duke Garwood, and the Afghan Whigs’ Greg Dulli. The latter duo billed themselves as the Gutter Twins.

Lanegan detailed his formative years in vividly gritty detail in his 2020 memoir Sing Backwards and Weep. Behind the scenes, he grappled with alcoholism and heroin addiction while maintaining his musical career. He cleaned up for the first time after Courtney Love paid to send him to rehab. In a Rolling Stone interview after the book came out, he explained why Love helped him. “I remember Courtney leaving me a letter saying, ‘Kurt loved you as a big brother and would have wanted you to live. The world needs you to live,'” he said. “That was powerful because I hadn’t done any good for anybody in years.” He subsequently connected with Queens of the Stone Age’s Josh Homme, (who performed as a second guitarist in Screaming Trees) and toured with that group while painting sets for television shows. His most recent solo album, Straight Songs of Sorrow, came out in spring 2020.

Mark William Lanegan was born in Ellensburg, Washington on Nov. 25, 1964. Both of his parents were schoolteachers who divorced when Lanegan was young. He claimed in his memoir that his mother was verbally abusive toward him, so he opted to live with his dad. “My father spent scant time trying to parent me,” he wrote. “Due to his own prodigious drinking schedule and his lifelong interest in playing cards all night with his pals and chasing women, he quickly gave up trying to enforce any kind of control.” Lanegan started stealing cans of beer from his dad while in junior high. His grades suffered and he was kicked off the baseball team (which he loved). He discovered marijuana and LSD and eventually quit drinking.

Meanwhile, Lanegan was becoming enamored with punk. After discovering the Sex Pistols’ “Anarchy in the U.K.,” he started collecting albums by the Damned, Stranglers, Ramones, Iggy Pop, and the Velvet Underground, among others. After sobering up, he reconnected with childhood friend Van Conner, and learned that Van, his brother Gary Lee, and a drummer named Mark Pickerel had a band. Gary Lee suggested that Lanegan record some vocals over some of the songs he’d written, and Screaming Trees were born.

Screaming Trees’ debut, Clairvoyance, was released in 1986 to little fanfare. The music was a psychedelic swirl of guitar, church organ, and Lanegan’s reedy vocals. After signing to SST, the label run by Black Flag guitarist Greg Ginn, the band released similar sounding albums every year through 1989, during which time it built up a steady local following.

One person introduced himself to Lanegan after a concert, saying, “I’m a huge fan of yours. If you ever need an opener or want to do something musical together, please give me a call.” It was Kurt Cobain. In his memoir, Lanegan recalled a moment later on when Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic asked to join the Trees but Lanegan counseled him to stay with Nirvana. “The difference between Nirvana and the Trees was so clear to me,” he wrote. “Nirvana were who they were from the first time I saw them: great songs, great singer, great look, everything.”

Feeling constricted artistically in Screaming Trees, Lanegan starting writing his own songs for what would be his solo debut, The Winding Sheet, which came out in 1990. Cobain ended up singing on two of the album’s songs, “Down in the Dark” and a cover of Lead Belly’s “Where Did You Sleep Last Night” that also featured Novoselic. Jack Endino, the Skin Yard guitarist who had also produced Nirvana’s debut, Bleach, coproduced the album and played bass on several songs. The following year, Nirvana became a worldwide phenomenon and Lanegan felt some of the success both from interest in The Winding Sheet and with the release of Screaming Trees’ Uncle Anesthesia, which Soundgarden’s Chris Cornell coproduced with the band. Lanegan contributed more to the songwriting on the album, and its “Bed of Roses,” which he cowrote with Gary Lee and Van Conner, became their first hit.

When “Nearly Lost You,” another song written by Lanegan and the Conner brothers, was included on the soundtrack for Cameron Crowe’s love letter to Seattle, Singles, the band scored the biggest hit of their career. By this point, Lanegan had discovered heroin and was drinking again. When he looked back on the genesis of “Nearly Lost You,” which also appeared on the Trees’ Sweet Oblivion album, in a 2012 interview with Spin, he cringed. “It’s one of those songs I hope to never hear again,” he said. “Why? Because it was specifically written to be a single. It’s a corny, cheesy tune. But, you know, whatever. It is what it is.” When asked if fans at his solo shows ever requested it, he said no. “Luckily they have better taste than that.” (Despite Lanegan’s take, Sweet Oblivion has become a grunge touchstone; when Rolling Stone ranked the 50 Greatest Grunge Albums in 2019, it ranked Number 17.)

Screaming Trees put out one more album, 1996’s Dust, which contained the singles “All I Know” and “Sworn and Broken,” but continued to tour through 2000. Meanwhile, Lanegan continued releasing solo albums. In January 1994, he released one of his best, Whiskey for the Holy Ghost, which contained more sophisticated and emotional songs than The Winding Sheet; Tad Doyle and J Mascis both guested on the record. A few months later, Cobain died by suicide. In his memoir, Lanegan recalled dodging calls from Cobain on the day of his death. At the time, he threw himself into drugs rather than grieve. “When a drug addict loses a friend, they just do more drugs,” he told Rolling Stone. “I moved forward by sticking with the people that I knew — Dylan Carlson and my best friend in Seattle, Layne Staley — and we continued to do what we always did, but now we were missing a huge piece of our lives.”

The next year, Lanegan collaborated with Alice in Chains vocalist Staley on “I’m Above” and “Long Day Gone,” two songs that would appear on Above, the debut album by Mad Season. The group was a supergroup that also featured Pearl Jam’s Mike McCready and Screaming Trees’ Barrett Martin. “I was not a great influence on Layne, but [drugs] were a mutual thing,” Lanegan told Rolling Stone. “I put it like this in my lyric book: ‘Kurt was like a little brother, Layne was like a twin.'”

Lanegan cleaned up when life in Seattle, where he had moved in the Nineties, no longer became safe. He had double-crossed a drug dealer and had a cop looking for him, so he looked into an organization, the Musicians’ Assistance Program, in California that Courtney Love had told him about. “They paid for my rehab,” he told Rolling Stone. “But I realized I needed a lot more than just that, and Courtney ended up paying for my rent there for months. I was also unemployable and a mess physically after all the years of doing damage to myself. I remember waking up in rehab and the room was filled with bags of new clothes that she had sent in.”

After rehab, Lanegan moved into a halfway house and worked construction until Guns n’ Roses bassist, Duff McKagan, a longtime fan, gave him a job looking after his home. He reconnected with Homme, who had formed Queens of the Stone Age, and sang lead vocals on a few songs on the band’s Rated R and Songs for the Deaf albums, as well as records by the Twilight Singers, Greg Dulli’s post-Afghan Whigs band. In 2004, Lanegan put out Bubblegum, a critically acclaimed solo offering that featured appearances by Homme, PJ Harvey, Chris Goss, McKagan, Izzy Stradlin, and many others. Songs like “When Your Number Isn’t Up” and “Hit the City,” with Harvey, were brooding, dark, and beautiful. That same year, he fell back into drugs.

“I relapsed and immediately went into a coma for, like, 10 days or something. I almost died,” he told Rolling Stone. “When I came out of it, I can’t explain it, but music was completely drained from me. It was the most fucked-up thing. I got no pleasure or anything out of music: Music that I had loved before, new music, music on the radio, any kind of music — I did not want to hear it. I couldn’t hear it, and I certainly couldn’t fucking write or sing it. I was like, ‘What the fuck am I gonna do now?'”

While supporting himself by painting sets for television shows, he slowly got back into music by touring with Dulli and Queens. He made collaborated with Campbell, who had recently left Belle and Sebastian, and Soulsavers but didn’t write any music himself until his 2012 solo album, Blues Funeral. The record allowed Lanegan to explore his interest in electronic music — but in his typically brooding way — and he would continue exploring those types of sounds through the end of his life.

Lanegan’s last decade would prove especially prolific, artistically. He formed his own record label and put out albums every few years. He collaborated with Garwood and guested on songs by Earth, Neko Case, Manic Street Preachers, and many others. The final album he released in his lifetime was a dark, electronics-imbued collaboration with the Icarus Line’s Joe Cardamone, a self-titled LP billed to Dark Mark vs. Skeleton Joe.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 2,054 Posts

Blog Entries
    Oh, I don't know slave Lake Erie SESH That video appears to promote alcoholism and drug use.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 2,054 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Lanegan cleaned up when life in Seattle, where he had moved in the Nineties, no longer became safe. He had double-crossed a drug dealer and had a cop looking for him, so he looked into an organization, the Musicians’ Assistance Program, in California that Courtney Love had told him about. “They paid for my rehab,” he told Rolling Stone. “But I realized I needed a lot more than just that, and Courtney ended up paying for my rent there for months. I was also unemployable and a mess physically after all the years of doing damage to myself. I remember waking up in rehab and the room was filled with bags of new clothes that she had sent in.”

After rehab, Lanegan moved into a halfway house and worked construction until Guns n’ Roses bassist, Duff McKagan, a longtime fan, gave him a job looking after his home. He reconnected with Homme, who had formed Queens of the Stone Age, and sang lead vocals on a few songs on the band’s Rated R and Songs for the Deaf albums, as well as records by the Twilight Singers, Greg Dulli’s post-Afghan Whigs band. In 2004, Lanegan put out Bubblegum, a critically acclaimed solo offering that featured appearances by Homme, PJ Harvey, Chris Goss, McKagan, Izzy Stradlin, and many others. Songs like “When Your Number Isn’t Up” and “Hit the City,” with Harvey, were brooding, dark, and beautiful. That same year, he fell back into drugs.

Stories such as this piss me off. Such a sad state of affairs when "grunge" when from a grassroots underground scene to just another fashionable marketing gimmick that simply tossed away when such garbage like Britney and the Back Street Boys came along. Then there was Sub Pop itself. A label that did not give one shit about the artist they signed that only brought about lawsuits from bands for failing to properly promote them. Nowadays Sub Pop is a hipster-friendly label churning the most boring shit like Beach House and the fuck-awful Iron & Wine. Lanegan obviously had mental and emotional problems (like me) but its warming to see those who tried to get him help could only go so far. Maybe he was too far damaged to go on with life.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe he should have moved back to Ellensburg.... though the extreme boredom of that town probably isn't the best way to stay off drugs. I had no idea he had moved to Ireland, but maybe that had something to do with it? I've read elsewhere that he had a bad case of Covid a while back. Perhaps the long term damage of that, combined with his past substance abuse was too much for his body to deal with.

As far as the corporate music industry embracing "grunge".... sometimes I wish they hadn't. I would have been perfectly fine with seeing Soundgarden playing on the back of a flatbed truck at Lakefair, or Nirvana at one of the local bars downtown, or Screaming Trees at the Capitol Theatre (see video above). Maybe Kurt & Chris & Mark would all still be with us.

9. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (02-23-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    I just saw Grunge as Punk 2.0. It really was nothing new but of course every reincarnation is different. It was short lived.

Thread Information