Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The corporate media in the US has declined horribly since Bill Clinton's "Telecommunications Act of 1996" - which allowed for all the mega-mergers of media companies, and the mere existence of behemoths like FAUX Noize, Clear Channel Radio & Sinclair Media, all of which played significant roles in dragging the media to the far right. And because the right wingers in Congress continually want to cut public broadcasting, even PBS and NPR have drifted rightward, because they have been forced to take "donations" from right wing billionaires & their lobbies.

Without Sinclair, it's doubtful that TV stations in Seattle or Portland would be running extremist editorials from the likes of Boris Epsteyn (or however he misspells his own name) along with their so-called "local news". Nor would every progressive talk radio station on the solidly "Democratic Blue State" West Coast be shut down by Clear Channel (in a Mitt Romney temper tantrum after he lost the 2012 election)

So yeah, we definitely need some "alternative" media in this country.... but Facebook sure as Hell ain't that!. What we really need is to undo what Clinton did in 1996. Unfortunately you would need 60 Bernie Sanders type actual Democrats in the Senate and 250 or so members of "The Squad" in the House to make that happen..... and it's hard to get such people in office because of..... Shittizens United & the corporate media!

Talk about your "vicious circles"....
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Media changes. I thought it was more interesting when radio stations and television stations were locally owned and the DJ’s or program directors had a lot of say in what got put on the air. As far as political bias goes it’s always been there. William Randolph Hearst had a lot of influence over politics.

I think with mobile devices and easy access to media the influence on people is not the greatest. I think the internet has driven people a bit mad. Ha! Ha! Twitter is a complete freak show. Honestly. I really don’t know how people take it seriously.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
        If Pooty was to blow up Farcebook Headquarters, I wouldn't shed a tear over it.
        . It would be a good warhead accuracy test. I wonder if the Russians have improved their nuclear payload delivery system accuracy.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• silverfish
          Foot Soldier
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Kristy
          Facebook denied access to all Russian servers. How will the MAGAs and Qtards get their "news" now?
          Truth Social.
          Duh.

Donald Trump Can’t Stop Whining About His Failing Social Media App
          Originally posted by sadaist
          I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            . It would be a good warhead accuracy test. I wonder if the Russians have improved their nuclear payload delivery system accuracy.
            Not as much as we have.

They still rely on brute force high yield weapon systems like the Satan...

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Any Republican voters in the US wondering what would have happened if this invasion had happened under Trump?

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Jesus fuck, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! It was only a matter of time until one of these cocksuckers came along and made this horrible war all about them.

I'm surprised Dave Ghrol hasn't held numerous presses conferences explaining how the war makes him feel.

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Real

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Meh... I liked the original version of the song better. Not sure why he dropped the Reagan reference. Yeah he's dead, but so was Khrushchev when he made the original version, and he's still in there.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• silverfish
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Mar 2007

Why didn't Biden think of this?....

Trump jokes US should 'put the Chinese flag' on F-22 fighter jets and 'bomb the s---' out of Russia

"And then we say, 'China did it,'" Trump said, which, according to an unidentified source cited by CBS News,
                      elicited laughs in the room. "Then they start fighting with each other, and we sit back and watch."
                      Originally posted by sadaist
                      I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        This 'mainstream media' as a pejorative term is starting to piss me off.

The argument being that because there are some special interests and media owners mainstream media is not always accurate and sometimes partisan. Yup ok fine but part 2 is 'so anything else must be better'?

Fucking no. So instead of professional highly educated journalists with training on multiple sources who are sometimes compromised we'll replace that with some random fuckwit on the internet secondary source BS because it's what we would like to believe and then makes it true?

It's getting like the great quote, there is a word for 'alternative' medicine that has been proved to work - medicine.
                        The term "mainstream" isn't such a great descriptor... here in the US I was referring to ABC, CBS, NBC... which are just the 3 predominant over-air networks dating back to the days before cable news stations. Every network has professional good journalists. What clouds the water is the personalities and opinion jackasses that have taken over news media. No matter where you turn it's almost impossible to get straight up news reporting without some angle being thrown in...
                        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by silverfish
                            Why didn't Biden think of this?....

Trump jokes US should 'put the Chinese flag' on F-22 fighter jets and 'bomb the s---' out of Russia

"And then we say, 'China did it,'" Trump said, which, according to an unidentified source cited by CBS News,
                            elicited laughs in the room. "Then they start fighting with each other, and we sit back and watch."
                            Sounds like a good movie plot, but not all that workable in reality. "Trolling" two nuclear powers into fighting each other only works if there's zero chance they're going to find out about it... and then team up against you. Cheeto's such an idiot, he probably thinks Russia & China nuking each other would be a good thing. The world might be better off without Pooty or Xi Jing Winnie the Pooh, but making the entire continent of Asia radioactive would be a pretty steep price for that.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

No FGTH yet?

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• FORD
                                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

You must have seen the last episode of South Park?

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...