SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,561 Times in 3,449 Posts

CVH Sixpack will be Available in Audiophile Formats

Van Halen’s Full David Lee Roth-Era Catalog Due for Premium Treatment on MoFi Vinyl and SACD

By Chris Willman

Van Halen's Full Roth-Era Catalog Due
    To jump, or not to jump? That is the question many Van Halen buffs will be asking themselves as they consider the prospect of the band’s original run of albums becoming available as pricey but very collectible premium vinyl boxed sets later this year.

Mobile Fidelity, the standard-bearer for audiophile vinyl, will be issuing the six albums the band originally recorded with David Lee Roth as frontman in double-LP boxes that involve the lossless “one-step” process, pressed across four sides each at 45 rpm, allowing the greatest insurance that even with Michael Anthony’s bass at maximum intensity, the needle will not go ahead and j… er, skip.

At $125 each from Music Direct, the only site from which they can currently be preordered, these special editions are not for the casual fan… or the modern vinyl “enthusiast” who buys LPs to display the covers without actually having a turntable hooked up. But as recent experience with MoFi vinyl releases would prove, it’s entirely possible that all 10,000 numbered copies of each could effectively sell out online, or that most retail stores that carry the brand might only get a copy or two in.

In other words, while there is a lot of flipping involved in having these albums spread across four sides for what is considered by many enthusiasts to be extreme fidelity, that will pale against the flipping that will occur on eBay once the run sells out.

The good news or bad news, depending on your point of view, is that the six albums will be released sequentially, not all at once, which charges going through only at the time of shipping, which puts less concurrent strain on the wallet.

News about the vinyl releases quietly (as opposed to Quiex-ly) slipped out at the beginning of 2022. What was new in Thursday’s announcement from Mobile Fidelity was confirmation of the rumor that all six O.G. VH albums will also be released in high-fidelity digital as well, pressed as hybrid Super Audio CDs, which includes a layer playable on normal CD players for those who don’t have one of the rare SACD players out in the wild. The SACD versions are also numbered and could wind up being nearly as collectible, but are more affordable to the average fan, with a $30 price point on Music Direct.

The titles included in this line will start with “Van Halen” (1978) in the fourth quarter of 2022, followed by “Van Halen II” (1979), “Women and Children First” (1980), “Fair Warning” (1981), “Diver Down” (1982) and “1984” (you know the year). MoFi won’t be done with these titles once the one-step versions sell out; a “standard three-step process 180g 45RPM 2LP” for each album will be announced at a later date, MoFi said.

Artwork for the vinyl boxes will match the original albums, albeit with the familiar Mobile Fidelity banner part of the covers’ foil-embossing.

“Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab is excited to release Van Halen’s first six iconic albums in the UD1S and SACD formats for the first time,” said Jim Davis, president of Music Direct and Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, in a statement. “Fans will experience Van Halen’s original blend of raw power and Hollywood flair like never before through these limited-edition, audiophile-grade One-Step vinyl box sets.” The company claimed the Van Halen titles “have previously been overlooked for the UD1S and SACD treatment due to the music’s sheer excitement and raucous intensity,” suggesting that X-treme cradle-rocking and true hi-fi were not always necessarily assumed to be completely compatible.

Mobile Fidelity has issued audiophile editions of large swaths of artists’ catalogs before, including multiple classics by Bob Dylan, Miles Davis, Elvis Costello, the Grateful Dead, the Band and the Eagles. And in the last few years the company has made one-step boxed sets an increasing part of its output, with a special release of Donald Fagen’s “The Nightfly” proving just how quickly every copy of such a release could be snapped up, even at the higher price point. But this marks the first time MoFi has announced a large chunk of an artist’s catalog being due for the one-step treatment.

No plans for a premium edition of “Van Halen III” have yet been revealed.

LINK
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Hmmm not exactly exciting news... for albums I've bought multiple copies of over the last 4 decades.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-01-2022)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Hmmm not exactly exciting news... for albums I've bought multiple copies of over the last 4 decades.
    Yep, the cheapest SACD players seem to run around $1300 for a single player, no idea how much the audiophile turntables are. Personally I did like DVD-Audio, the five channel thing was pretty cool if a bit gimmicky.....

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab is a bit a scam. They're changed their gimmicky marketing back and forth over the years plus, I don't see how these are any better than the 1/4 speed masters reissued back in 2015 other than the quality of the pressing themselves. Unless there are liner notes, rare studio photographs and interviews with the band members and producers and recording engineers I'd skip on this shit. The 2015 1/4 remasters will sound better on CD than the vinyl which is another scam. I have a few classic VH on vinyl and the sound quality is poor to the 2015 remasters and those are much better than the 2004 Warner Remasters which are absolute fucking shit.

@$125 each on "supervinyl" whatever the fuck that is you're much better off with the 2015 Red Book quarter masters on CD for sound quality

6. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (02-27-2022)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Did some Googling and the consensus is that there isn't much difference in a quality CD and the SACD with blind tests showing it being a random 50/50 that someone detected the SACD over a CD. With the audiophile brand players going from $1300-$8K I think I'll pass. DVD-Audio can be interesting however depending on who mixes the 5 ch...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

On the flip side, the Rhino 2015 CVH Remasters are as little as $5 for Diver Down, WACF, and II at Walmart. FW was the most expensive at $9...

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Simple point... none of this new crap will sound any better than when I first heard it on vinyl through my old Pioneer stereo back in 1980 onward. Repackaged, reformatted, regurgitated... but no longer remarkable.

This band has been so damn lazy when it comes to releasing new material... the worst part is they are sitting on hundreds of hours of live and studio material that many of us long time fans wouldn't think twice about purchasing if it wasn't just the same old shit... Shame on em... lazy bastards!

10. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-01-2022)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Simple point... none of this new crap will sound any better than when I first heard it on vinyl through my old Pioneer stereo back in 1980 onward. Repackaged, reformatted, regurgitated... but no longer remarkable.
    The whole vinyl revival has been a cash cow for many artists. I haven't bought much new vinyl myself unless its form an artist who released their music on vinyl only. I've come across bad pressings, albums that skip, warped or unplayable meaning they sound like there is this thin plastic cloth cover the vinyl itself. The only vinyl I have that it Mobile Fidelity is Supertramp's Breakfast in America and apart from the expensive packaging (which is what you really pay for) I don't hear a major diffy in sound quality. Same goes for the CD. Back in the 90's Mobile Fidelity released a few with "24K Gold Backing" that is nothing more than cheap imitation gold plating that you see on instruments like guitars the sound quality of those is clear and lower than more shitty highly compressed Red Book CDs that came out in the same period.

So this whole "one step/half speed" 2 disc cut due to being played at 45rpm remastering might sound better - considering you have a decent system to play them on. For that price (each) I want better. Again, rare studio photographs like how Eddie had his rig set up, how the drums were placed, band notes, engineering notes, interviews with Donn Landee, Templeton, even from people at Warner Brothers who signed this band. Plus, there is only so much you can do to improve the sound quality from a album released 45 years ago. They can never sound netter than the technology they were recorded on at the time. It is a shame Eddie is gone to give some insight into ow these albums were recorded - especially he later ones like Fair Warning and 1984 or Landee had a hand in this himself in the remastering process. Maybe he did.

Not that this is a bad idea if you're a hard core vinyl junkie and can afford these. I would not mind owning them but not for that price tag. I personally like my Van Halen on the run - walking the dog, jogging, doing errands, and the first Van Halen still sounds great on a summer day uninterrupted (actually I hear the first Van Halen sounds terrific on the Devil's Lettuce but I would not know anything about that. Tokers are jokers and bongs are wrong). So I'm happy with the Red Book 2015 remasters on CD even though some "audiophiles" may think they are trash from a listening standpoint

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Just looked the 2015 remasters are also on vinyl.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

This band has been so damn lazy when it comes to releasing new material... the worst part is they are sitting on hundreds of hours of live and studio material that many of us long time fans wouldn't think twice about purchasing if it wasn't just the same old shit... Shame on em... lazy bastards!
    Agreed.

Al should be looking at what Tony Iommi has been doing with the recent Sabbath super deluxe box sets in the past year. I have both the Sabotage and Technical Ecstasy box sets and they are incredible.

The Sabotage set has the original album remastered on 180 gram LP including live shows, a reproduction of the tour book from the era, a large poster of an original Sabotage record store ad and so much more. I was super happy to pick that one up as my original Sabotage vinyl was pretty beat up and unplayable.

But I kept thinking "imagine if we got this for the CVH albums" but sadly no.

Imagine a Fair Warning Super Deluxe Box Set. Why do we keep dreaming about such things when other bands just churn this stuff out? Come on Al.

14. 2 users say thank you to Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (02-28-2022),ZahZoo (02-28-2022)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:46 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Did some Googling and the consensus is that there isn't much difference in a quality CD and the SACD with blind tests showing it being a random 50/50 that someone detected the SACD over a CD. With the audiophile brand players going from $1300-$8K I think I'll pass. DVD-Audio can be interesting however depending on who mixes the 5 ch...
    I remember when the Stones (or rather, Allen Klein's greedy children) remastered their entire 60s catalog on hybrid CD/SACD disks. At the time they claimed SACD was the "wave of the future" and that everybody would be listening to that over boring old CDs shortly.

That was in 2002. It's 20 years later now, and I'm still waiting for SACD to supposedly take over the market.

To be fair though, even on a regular CD player, those discs were a definite improvement over the original Stones/ABKCO CD releases from 1987.

I also remember when CD's were ridiculously more expensive than vinyl. Now CD's can be found for $5 sometimes, and vinyl is fucking ridiculously priced. And in the case of the VH reissues.... there hasn't been any "bonus" material on ANY of them.

If I didn't know better, I'd think these corporations were greedy or something....

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I went ahead and bought the Rhino 2015 Remasters since I have some gaps in my CVH after losing a couple WB 04' remasters. It was like $40+ including tax..

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Those 2009 Red Book Stones Remasters are absolute garbage.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm still happy with my 2000 remasters. But I might buy the 2015 ones, if there is some sound quality difference. But I doubt there is.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    There is, froggie. There is.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries

Between buying them first on vinyl, then cassette, then cd...it's enough.

The cds I bought were in the 1990s, and thinking about it now...I can't remember the last time I listened to ANYTHING on cd,

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Bunch of hippies. Everybody knows the Compact Disc is the future

22. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-03-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Between buying them first on vinyl, then cassette, then cd...it's enough.

The cds I bought were in the 1990s, and thinking about it now...I can't remember the last time I listened to ANYTHING on cd,
    I still have most my vinyl from the 70's and early 80's.

24. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-03-2022),ZahZoo (03-04-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I still have most my vinyl from the 70's and early 80's.
    I've got maybe 20 or so vinyl albums from the 70's/early 80's, WACF/DD/1984 among them.

Still have a single unit record turntable/dual cassette player...it still works, too! It's gathering dust.

Have about 150 cassette tapes, give or take. Also gathering dust.

And maybe 250 or so cd's...maybe more. All also gathering dust.

DVD's? Forget it. Between professionally manufactured and homemade, last time I tried to count and catalog them several years ago it was around 3,000.

Oh, yeah. Can't forget the 200-odd VHS tapes!!

I really should consider selling some of that stuff online or some shit.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I've got maybe 20 or so vinyl albums from the 70's/early 80's, WACF/DD/1984 among them.

Still have a single unit record turntable/dual cassette player...it still works, too! It's gathering dust.

Have about 150 cassette tapes, give or take. Also gathering dust.

And maybe 250 or so cd's...maybe more. All also gathering dust.

DVD's? Forget it. Between professionally manufactured and homemade, last time I tried to count and catalog them several years ago it was around 3,000.

Oh, yeah. Can't forget the 200-odd VHS tapes!!

I really should consider selling some of that stuff online or some shit.
    Sell your cassette tapes online. Hipster millennials will go after them bigtime.

Cassette tapes had their time and their advantage was that they were small and offered portable convenience.

Other than that sound wise they were of course inferior to vinyl and later CDs.

27. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-03-2022)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,614 Posts

People are asking about a buck a tape on the for sale groups. Not sure what they're getting.

The local wrecka sto might still buy tapes, I haven't been in there lately and don't remember. Probably not gonna get rich on 'em.

Only CD's I have out is stuff I've picked up the last couple years. The collection is in bins somewhere. Tapes are in another bin.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    The whole vinyl revival has been a cash cow for many artists.
    Pre COVID at least it was absolutely essential to a bunch of artists. I would be at a little club gig wondering how the touring band was surviving on a crowd of 70 people paying $10 and then a queue would form at the end at the merch table and half the audience would buy a $25 high end vinyl album the band had probably pressed themselves. It was basically the lifeblood of a lot of pretty niche acts allowing say an Italian doom metal act to do an 8 date tour of 100 capacity UK venues.

I'm hoping this model will have survived post plague. Of course maybe if fucking Spotify didn't give fucking Joe Rogan $200 million and instead paid more than 0.0000000000000000000000000000000001 cents a fucking play to artists we wouldn't need to worry about that.

30. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (03-05-2022)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:19 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I think the best sounding cds are the 24kt Gold Plated/DCC remaster for the first album and then the original 80s pressings for the rest. No loudness war or brickwalling there like the 2000 remasters had. Also the 2015 remastered 192/24 hdtracks sound great since those are from the original master tapes with no compression applied.

32. Thanked Silexxx for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (03-05-2022)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Spotisuck and other digital marketing gimmicks like iTunes and now Amazon Muzak have ironically killed off the CD. If five to six years if someone asked me if the CD was dead I'd tell them "it's in a weird place" but now it is pushing up daisies. This alone does not mean that vinyl somehow defaults to being more superior product with better sound and quality control manufacturing. Vinyl is nostalgia marketing for failing music industry and that again is due to such poor quality of the CD. I'm going to sound old here but a lot of "today's music" could not be any more disposable. Maybe that's due to the ease to acquire recording technology that is relatively cheap where anyone with no recording expedience can produce whatever they want over night.

Van Halen's debut record took slightly over three weeks to record their second one week and their third in 8 days Nirvana's Nevermind was @ two weeks whereas something like Rumors took over a year. Point being all these bands were working with top notch producers and engineers in quality studios. A lot of that is gone replaced by Pro Tools where every one who uses it doesn't have or possesses little music production experience (See: Jimmy Page). So what you have is an inferior product (at least to my ears) being pumped out on readily digital formats and yes, it all does sound the same. That's where the resurgence of vinyl comes in again, not because it's better but albums that are being pressed by those at Mobile Fidelity such as these original Van Halen six-pack were recorded with forethought with gifted engineers. Same for the likes of Bowie, The Beatles, Tom Petty, even Phil Collins.

I was listening so some shitty podcast where they interviewed Hugh Padgham and even though he is a limey the way he was talking about working on the Police's Synchronicity was almost like hearing someone talk about a lost art. The way he set up the drums, working within the limitations of analog tape, how to capture Andy Sumner's guitar feedback and place it a part of a song, knowing that Sting is nothing more than a egotistical cocksucker seems a lot of that is no longer and a lot of new(er) bands are trying to recapture it but cant afford to do so which make vinyl more of a novelty and why shitbirds like Mobile Fidelity can charge outrageous prices for these pressings even if the quality of sound is not that much better from a 2015 remastered $10 CD.

Spotisuck has killed music and is doing its best to turn into a listening monopoly as they gain and more access into labels that have gone bankrupt with titles long out of print and no they don't give a shit about paying the artist what they are due for it, either. So fuck them. I bet all of the original Van Halen six-pack on Spotisuck are the 2015 remasters which only goes to show that they were pulled from the CD which only means the CD is surviving solely in the digital download/streaming universe. Still does not make vinyl a better product - just a more personal one and a lot of people are happy with that. If one has the $125 each then go for them while you can.
    Last edited by Kristy; 03-05-2022 at 01:04 PM.

34. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-07-2022)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Silexxx View Post
    I think the best sounding cds are the 24kt Gold Plated/DCC remaster for the first album and then the original 80s pressings for the rest. No loudness war or brickwalling there like the 2000 remasters had. Also the 2015 remastered 192/24 hdtracks sound great since those are from the original master tapes with no compression applied.
    The 2000 remasters were awful. Chris Bellman knew what he was doing with the 2015 remasters. And what gets me about the original six-pack 2015 remasters is not only the spatial separation between instruments but how underrated Alex was as a drummer for this band; you can actually hear him on these.

36. 2 users say thank you to Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (03-05-2022),Silexxx (03-05-2022)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The Remasterbaters do sound excellent...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Thread Information