X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

For fucks sake, somebody take Daltrey's microphone away from him already

Enough already. Geezus, nobody can take away from you anything you did between 1965 - 1978, but it really should have ended when Keith Moon died, and definitely when the Ox learned the hard way that cocaine & hookers are a bit much for senior citizens.

To be fair, Pete sounds OK, but if he was singing, Daltrey wouldn't need to be there at all, and Pete won't do that to him. Just call it a day already....
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Ha! Ha! Pete said he really doesn’t enjoy playing live anymore but he’s got an expensive boat hobby and some family members who need some help and gigging pays well enough to pay for those things. He said Roger still loves it and wants to keep doing it.

So the guy who hates it is the best at it. Too funny.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Nov 2004

Well, I've just watched and listened to that rendition of "Behind blue eyes".
      I was expecting a real wreckage reading FORD's thread title, but tome there's nothing serious here.
      Daltrey can still manage honorably despite he is 78 fucking years old, though his voice has lost precision and strength, inevitably...

There's still the same scam in calling this "The Who". They should just call that act "Townshend/Daltrey".

Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 04-17-2022, 05:06 AM.
      posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
      posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Nov 2004

I'll always prefer Dave to Daltrey by miles and miles and miles and miles.
        But let's imagine how he will sing in ten years.
        Time waits for no one.
        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Meh...it's just, I suppose, that individuals have different expectations in terms of what they're willing to accept from these rock bands as they age...certainly in terms of live performances and diminished abilities.

The Who as a live unit did some good stuff with Kenney Jones the first couple of years after Moon died. After the 1982 tour, subsequent tours saw them bringing more and more musicians onstage to augment the sound...I remember seeing them in 1989 and had a similar reaction to when I saw the Strolling Bones the same year, in that what I saw in 1989 wasn't really The Who. Or at least it wasn't The Who I wanted to see.

I'd have to agree what was onstage in the Colbert clip isn't The Who, and it SHOULD just be called Daltrey/Townshend.

But these aging rock stars are just doing what they know and getting paid well. If an arena's worth of punters want to pay to see it, who am I to say they shouldn't?
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

The Who Else Can We Get Up Here On Stage With Us
            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
              Meh...it's just, I suppose, that individuals have different expectations in terms of what they're willing to accept from these rock bands as they age...certainly in terms of live performances and diminished abilities.

The Who as a live unit did some good stuff with Kenney Jones the first couple of years after Moon died. After the 1982 tour, subsequent tours saw them bringing more and more musicians onstage to augment the sound...I remember seeing them in 1989 and had a similar reaction to when I saw the Strolling Bones the same year, in that what I saw in 1989 wasn't really The Who. Or at least it wasn't The Who I wanted to see.

I'd have to agree what was onstage in the Colbert clip isn't The Who, and it SHOULD just be called Daltrey/Townshend.

But these aging rock stars are just doing what they know and getting paid well. If an arena's worth of punters want to pay to see it, who am I to say they shouldn't?
              Free market. Pete pays for his boat hobby showing up and playing guitar for a bunch of geriatrics. Beats being mind dead in a wheel chair wearing Depends.

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

How long have I been telling you cretins that a lot of these bands need to hang it up for good? Huh? Just how fucking long? I them back in 2008 and they certainly weren't The Who back then, either. Just like your homoerotic fixation Roth, you cannot "party" with coke, alcohol, groupy pussy and be on stage for over 30 years without sustaining some sort of permanent vocal damage. It's not that much different from permanent hearing loss that many of these burnt outs are also suffering from. Townshend looks like a invalid while Daltry couldn't be more lost than Biden at a press conference. It beyond the pale of sad to see this. For the sake of their "legacy" and moreover for their fans they need to just hang it up.

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                  How long have I been telling you cretins that a lot of these bands need to hang it up for good? Huh? Just how fucking long? I them back in 2008 and they certainly weren't The Who back then, either. Just like your homoerotic fixation Roth, you cannot "party" with coke, alcohol, groupy pussy and be on stage for over 30 years without sustaining some sort of permanent vocal damage. It's not that much different from permanent hearing loss that many of these burnt outs are also suffering from. Townshend looks like a invalid while Daltry couldn't be more lost than Biden at a press conference. It beyond the pale of sad to see this. For the sake of their "legacy" and moreover for their fans they need to just hang it up.
                  I think their legacy - or any rock bands legacy - is secure, in that what they did when they did it best still resonates with me.

I can't disagree with you that the vast majority of these aging/aged rock bands...again, it's not my place to say they should hang it up for good or not...but for me they're no longer worth the bother.

I think Roth pulled himself together the best he could and did the CVH material justice on the 2007-2008 tour. On that tour he was no longer "forgetting the fucking words, man!" and was making an effort to sing all the verses and choruses...in key as best he could, no less. It was worth the money for me.

2012 on re: Roth?

Nope.

Dunno why he backslid vocally live (if he was half-assing it - which I'd rather not believe - or he was making an effort that was misguided) post-2008, but to my ears the guy sounded terrible more often than not onstage. And that's when it was time for me to let it go.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

you cannot "party" with coke, alcohol, groupy pussy and be on stage for over 30 years without sustaining some sort of permanent vocal damage.
                    Not usually but somehow Tom Jones has managed twice as long and liked his cigars too.

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      Not usually but somehow Tom Jones has managed twice as long and liked his cigars too.
                      Tom Jones is the exception to the rule

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Last concert I went to was Mammoth. Not bad. Wolfgang has a good band and does a good job singing. It will be interesting to see where he is in five years. Right now people are curious but the songs aren’t bad.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                          I think their legacy - or any rock bands legacy - is secure, in that what they did when they did it best still resonates with me.

I can't disagree with you that the vast majority of these aging/aged rock bands...again, it's not my place to say they should hang it up for good or not...but for me they're no longer worth the bother.

I think Roth pulled himself together the best he could and did the CVH material justice on the 2007-2008 tour. On that tour he was no longer "forgetting the fucking words, man!" and was making an effort to sing all the verses and choruses...in key as best he could, no less. It was worth the money for me.

2012 on re: Roth?

Nope.

Dunno why he backslid vocally live (if he was half-assing it - which I'd rather not believe - or he was making an effort that was misguided) post-2008, but to my ears the guy sounded terrible more often than not onstage. And that's when it was time for me to let it go.
                          There’s an old saying that goes, you want to quit and have the fans wondering where you went instead of saying why won’t they give it up? It’s like stocks. You always want to cash out a bit before the crest.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

I think it’s like old people and cars. There’s plenty of old fuckers who think they still can drive fine when they can’t. You have these old acts that go yeah we still have it! Of course it’s disaster waiting to happen.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                              I think it’s like old people and cars. There’s plenty of old fuckers who think they still can drive fine when they can’t. You have these old acts that go yeah we still have it! Of course it’s disaster waiting to happen.
                              Very good comparison.

Comment

Working...