Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For fucks sake, somebody take Daltrey's microphone away from him already

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Seeing the Stones at Soldier Field in 2019, I was kind of shocked how many younger people were there. My wife and I were in our early 40s (my wife was 41) and there were a lot of people our age or younger.

THAT SAID...yes, there were people who looked like they needed "oxygen tanks."
    I also took my boy to see ELO, or Jeff Lynne or whatever he calls it, back in 2019 or so and was amazed by how young the audience was. Even young people there without parents. Like, rockets I felt creepy about staring at (not really). I was amazed that they could sell out an arena. I don't think about ELO having arena-filling hits. But good music is good music and the young'ns came out for it. And the show was outstanding BTW. They're coming back in a few months, though I'll pass this time.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    I also took my boy to see ELO, or Jeff Lynne or whatever he calls it, back in 2019 or so and was amazed by how young the audience was. Even young people there without parents. Like, rockets I felt creepy about staring at (not really). I was amazed that they could sell out an arena. I don't think about ELO having arena-filling hits. But good music is good music and the young'ns came out for it. And the show was outstanding BTW. They're coming back in a few months, though I'll pass this time.
    I gotta say, I'm surprised you didn't think of them having arena-filling hits.

ELO had more hit singles than so many bands put together!!

A lot of people used to talk about their being sick of the "Lynne sound"...but dude was exceptionally talented.

FLAMING PIE is one of my favorite McCartney albums. And CLOUD NINE (and BRAINWASHED) include much of my favorite George Harrison work.

(...and now I wait for the "Kristy reply"...)
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is just a great song...I don't care what anyone says...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Alarm were one of the best bands of the 80s. Sure they had ridiculous hair, but unlike most bands of that era, their musical talent more than made up for it. Corporate media wrote them off as "U2 clones" which they really weren't at all. Though the two bands did tour together, and had similar views on politics & religion, but musically they were completely different.

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    The Alarm were one of the best bands of the 80s. Sure they had ridiculous hair, but unlike most bands of that era, their musical talent more than made up for it. Corporate media wrote them off as "U2 clones" which they really weren't at all. Though the two bands did tour together, and had similar views on politics & religion, but musically they were completely different.

Yeah, FORD...I actually like this. I've never listened to them before.

FORD, did you ever like Midnight Oil?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I wasn't a huge Midnight Oil fan, but I remember some of their stuff from the 80s. I think "Diesel & Dust" was the only album I ever owned, and somebody ripped off my copy of it. If I remember correctly they stopped touring because their singer took his politics to the next level and actually got elected to the Aussie parliament.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I wasn't a huge Midnight Oil fan, but I remember some of their stuff from the 80s. I think "Diesel & Dust" was the only album I ever owned, and somebody ripped off my copy of it. If I remember correctly they stopped touring because their singer took his politics to the next level and actually got elected to the Aussie parliament.
    Indeed. Peter Garrett broke the band up around 2002 or something to become a member of Australia's parliament.

If you haven't checked out the band's 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 album, it's really pretty great.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Yep, well, people can say what they like about Loggins.

Sad truth is he looked and sounded FAR better last year onstage than the vast bulk of hard rock acts I loved in the 1980s and have seen live in the last 25 years.

Granted, Loggins never played similar music to said 80's hard rock acts. BUT, when old Kenny got to the end of his set and did the Danger Zone/Footloose/Caddyshack Theme trio, the tunes weren't tuned down several steps from the original recorded versions to accommodate aging vocals (and I'd tend to wager Loggins is probably a decade older on average than those 80's hard rock band members) and the stuff sounded fantastic. Never once during the show did I think the guy onstage should have packed it in years ago juxtaposed with the aforementioned 80's hard rock acts.

Oh, yeah, I fist-pumped the air like a bitch when he launched into Danger Zone. You're fuckin' A right I did! USA! USA!! USA!!!
    He was on a local MeTV talk show between their old syndicated series they show. The one by the "living" chic that is from Buffalo but worked in LA for a while and I guess she is friends with him. He honestly seemed like a good guy you can have a beer with and looked good at his age. He's definitely alright, nobody worry about him....

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Fukc I literally thought that was Aimee Mann from Til' Tuesday LOL...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    He was on a local MeTV talk show between their old syndicated series they show. The one by the "living" chic that is from Buffalo but worked in LA for a while and I guess she is friends with him. He honestly seemed like a good guy you can have a beer with and looked good at his age. He's definitely alright, nobody worry about him....
    He told a few self-depreciating jokes onstage about the ubiquity of those 1980's soundtrack tunes he did.

It was odd in that maybe a decade or so ago I recall reading an interview with him where he was asked about how he felt about those three 80's tunes. He said a lot of the gigs he was doing ten years ago were the corporate bookings where he showed up, did his three soundtrack tunes and got paid a ridiculous amount of money. He also said something along the lines of he could either feel bitter about being best known for those three soundtrack tunes - which even he admitted he didn't feel were all that great in terms of all the stuff he'd written - or be grateful for the commercial success of those tunes. He said he opted for the latter attitude.

Anyway, he did a couple interviews in advance of the tour I saw last year where it was going to be his last traditional type tour, that he was getting too old to do the touring much as he loved performing. I mean, the dude has been putting out stuff since the early 1970's and he is pushing 80 years old.

Like I said, I never thought I'd ever see Kenny Loggins live. Not a hater of the guy but wasn't something on my bucket list or anything. A good show. He was strumming, picking and grinning. Far worse ways to age. And because he is who he's always been, you just listen to the music. It's not as if he had this reputation for being a mesmerizing showman or anything, so there wasn't this bummer vibe of "Kenny can't hit the notes anymore" or "Kenny can't do the stage moves he used to anymore" or "Kenny didn't threaten to fuck some audience member's girlfriend, pal!"

Kenneth Clark Loggins was born on January 7th, 1948...

Okay, okay, enough about Kenny fucking Loggins.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Kenny Loggins is an American singer, guitarist and songwriter. His early songs were recorded by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band in 1970, which led to seven albums recorded with Jim Messina under the collaborative name Loggins and Messina from 1972 to 1977.

Thread Information