Thread: For fucks sake, somebody take Daltrey's microphone away from him already

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

For fucks sake, somebody take Daltrey's microphone away from him already

Enough already. Geezus, nobody can take away from you anything you did between 1965 - 1978, but it really should have ended when Keith Moon died, and definitely when the Ox learned the hard way that cocaine & hookers are a bit much for senior citizens.

To be fair, Pete sounds OK, but if he was singing, Daltrey wouldn't need to be there at all, and Pete won't do that to him. Just call it a day already....
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (Yesterday)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Ha! Ha! Pete said he really doesn’t enjoy playing live anymore but he’s got an expensive boat hobby and some family members who need some help and gigging pays well enough to pay for those things. He said Roger still loves it and wants to keep doing it.

So the guy who hates it is the best at it. Too funny.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Well, I've just watched and listened to that rendition of "Behind blue eyes".
    I was expecting a real wreckage reading FORD's thread title, but tome there's nothing serious here.
    Daltrey can still manage honorably despite he is 78 fucking years old, though his voice has lost precision and strength, inevitably...

There's still the same scam in calling this "The Who". They should just call that act "Townshend/Daltrey".

Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 04-17-2022 at 05:06 AM.

5. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (04-17-2022)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'll always prefer Dave to Daltrey by miles and miles and miles and miles.
    But let's imagine how he will sing in ten years.
    Time waits for no one.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Meh...it's just, I suppose, that individuals have different expectations in terms of what they're willing to accept from these rock bands as they age...certainly in terms of live performances and diminished abilities.

The Who as a live unit did some good stuff with Kenney Jones the first couple of years after Moon died. After the 1982 tour, subsequent tours saw them bringing more and more musicians onstage to augment the sound...I remember seeing them in 1989 and had a similar reaction to when I saw the Strolling Bones the same year, in that what I saw in 1989 wasn't really The Who. Or at least it wasn't The Who I wanted to see.

I'd have to agree what was onstage in the Colbert clip isn't The Who, and it SHOULD just be called Daltrey/Townshend.

But these aging rock stars are just doing what they know and getting paid well. If an arena's worth of punters want to pay to see it, who am I to say they shouldn't?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

The Who Else Can We Get Up Here On Stage With Us

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Meh...it's just, I suppose, that individuals have different expectations in terms of what they're willing to accept from these rock bands as they age...certainly in terms of live performances and diminished abilities.

The Who as a live unit did some good stuff with Kenney Jones the first couple of years after Moon died. After the 1982 tour, subsequent tours saw them bringing more and more musicians onstage to augment the sound...I remember seeing them in 1989 and had a similar reaction to when I saw the Strolling Bones the same year, in that what I saw in 1989 wasn't really The Who. Or at least it wasn't The Who I wanted to see.

I'd have to agree what was onstage in the Colbert clip isn't The Who, and it SHOULD just be called Daltrey/Townshend.

But these aging rock stars are just doing what they know and getting paid well. If an arena's worth of punters want to pay to see it, who am I to say they shouldn't?
    Free market. Pete pays for his boat hobby showing up and playing guitar for a bunch of geriatrics. Beats being mind dead in a wheel chair wearing Depends.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 2,054 Posts

Blog Entries
    How long have I been telling you cretins that a lot of these bands need to hang it up for good? Huh? Just how fucking long? I them back in 2008 and they certainly weren't The Who back then, either. Just like your homoerotic fixation Roth, you cannot "party" with coke, alcohol, groupy pussy and be on stage for over 30 years without sustaining some sort of permanent vocal damage. It's not that much different from permanent hearing loss that many of these burnt outs are also suffering from. Townshend looks like a invalid while Daltry couldn't be more lost than Biden at a press conference. It beyond the pale of sad to see this. For the sake of their "legacy" and moreover for their fans they need to just hang it up.

11. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Terry (04-18-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    How long have I been telling you cretins that a lot of these bands need to hang it up for good? Huh? Just how fucking long? I them back in 2008 and they certainly weren't The Who back then, either. Just like your homoerotic fixation Roth, you cannot "party" with coke, alcohol, groupy pussy and be on stage for over 30 years without sustaining some sort of permanent vocal damage. It's not that much different from permanent hearing loss that many of these burnt outs are also suffering from. Townshend looks like a invalid while Daltry couldn't be more lost than Biden at a press conference. It beyond the pale of sad to see this. For the sake of their "legacy" and moreover for their fans they need to just hang it up.
    I think their legacy - or any rock bands legacy - is secure, in that what they did when they did it best still resonates with me.

I can't disagree with you that the vast majority of these aging/aged rock bands...again, it's not my place to say they should hang it up for good or not...but for me they're no longer worth the bother.

I think Roth pulled himself together the best he could and did the CVH material justice on the 2007-2008 tour. On that tour he was no longer "forgetting the fucking words, man!" and was making an effort to sing all the verses and choruses...in key as best he could, no less. It was worth the money for me.

2012 on re: Roth?

Nope.

Dunno why he backslid vocally live (if he was half-assing it - which I'd rather not believe - or he was making an effort that was misguided) post-2008, but to my ears the guy sounded terrible more often than not onstage. And that's when it was time for me to let it go.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

you cannot "party" with coke, alcohol, groupy pussy and be on stage for over 30 years without sustaining some sort of permanent vocal damage.
    Not usually but somehow Tom Jones has managed twice as long and liked his cigars too.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Not usually but somehow Tom Jones has managed twice as long and liked his cigars too.
    Tom Jones is the exception to the rule

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Last concert I went to was Mammoth. Not bad. Wolfgang has a good band and does a good job singing. It will be interesting to see where he is in five years. Right now people are curious but the songs aren’t bad.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think their legacy - or any rock bands legacy - is secure, in that what they did when they did it best still resonates with me.

I can't disagree with you that the vast majority of these aging/aged rock bands...again, it's not my place to say they should hang it up for good or not...but for me they're no longer worth the bother.

I think Roth pulled himself together the best he could and did the CVH material justice on the 2007-2008 tour. On that tour he was no longer "forgetting the fucking words, man!" and was making an effort to sing all the verses and choruses...in key as best he could, no less. It was worth the money for me.

2012 on re: Roth?

Nope.

Dunno why he backslid vocally live (if he was half-assing it - which I'd rather not believe - or he was making an effort that was misguided) post-2008, but to my ears the guy sounded terrible more often than not onstage. And that's when it was time for me to let it go.
    There’s an old saying that goes, you want to quit and have the fans wondering where you went instead of saying why won’t they give it up? It’s like stocks. You always want to cash out a bit before the crest.

17. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (04-20-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think it’s like old people and cars. There’s plenty of old fuckers who think they still can drive fine when they can’t. You have these old acts that go yeah we still have it! Of course it’s disaster waiting to happen.

19. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (04-19-2022),Terry (04-20-2022)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I think it’s like old people and cars. There’s plenty of old fuckers who think they still can drive fine when they can’t. You have these old acts that go yeah we still have it! Of course it’s disaster waiting to happen.
    Very good comparison.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

This is doubly bad because I don't think it's close to the most challenging song in his back catalog, wouldn't want to hear Living On A Prayer plus at 60 Boingiovi isn't the oldest out there.

Also they always projected that clean image although I was pretty suspicious of a lot of that...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yikes.... I'll bet he wishes he still had Sambora there to help him through that one. Assuming his voice has held up any better. I assume Jon could sing better than that back in 1989, but the sound was so goddamned distorted at his concert, I couldn't really tell.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    There’s an old saying that goes, you want to quit and have the fans wondering where you went instead of saying why won’t they give it up? It’s like stocks. You always want to cash out a bit before the crest.
    Yeah, but these bands will just keep going out as long as they can and the money is there.

In a general sense, it doesn't matter...I mean, it's not some travesty against humanity if these geezers are still wheezing along out there on the road. I suppose it gives these old rockers a purpose in life, or a reason to get up every day, or whatever.

I gotta tell you, though, in the last 15 or so years, the concerts I have been to where aging acts/artists have held up the best live have tended not to have been hard rock ones. You may well find it amusing, but the better shows I have seen since, say, 2007 or so...probably Billy Joel, Jimmy Buffett and Neil Diamond. All three of those guys had highly competent bands onstage with them, their own sound systems and sound engineers who have worked with them (for decades, in some cases) long enough so the live sound is fantastic and all the songs were played in their original, recorded keys.

24. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (04-21-2022)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The Who give back to Cincinnati where they killed 11 people over 40-some years ago

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah, but these bands will just keep going out as long as they can and the money is there.

In a general sense, it doesn't matter...I mean, it's not some travesty against humanity if these geezers are still wheezing along out there on the road. I suppose it gives these old rockers a purpose in life, or a reason to get up every day, or whatever.

I gotta tell you, though, in the last 15 or so years, the concerts I have been to where aging acts/artists have held up the best live have tended not to have been hard rock ones. You may well find it amusing, but the better shows I have seen since, say, 2007 or so...probably Billy Joel, Jimmy Buffett and Neil Diamond. All three of those guys had highly competent bands onstage with them, their own sound systems and sound engineers who have worked with them (for decades, in some cases) long enough so the live sound is fantastic and all the songs were played in their original, recorded keys.
    I saw Billy Joel in Seattle. He was great.

27. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (08-17-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I saw Billy Joel in Seattle. He was great.

Saw him in Tampa in 2016 and Tampa again in 2018.

Great show both times.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

… you cannot "party" with coke, alcohol, groupy pussy and be on stage for over 30 years without sustaining some sort of permanent vocal damage.
    I would trade my current comfortable lifestyle to live like that

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

In the last 20 years (or since The Ox died) I got tired of hearing friends tell me they’re going to see The Who and biting my tongue. I saw them in ‘89 and it was memorable enough. Hang it up or change the name!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah... '89 was "memorable" because that was the show where Pete semi-crucified himself on stage.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    In the last 20 years (or since The Ox died) I got tired of hearing friends tell me they’re going to see The Who and biting my tongue. I saw them in ‘89 and it was memorable enough. Hang it up or change the name!
    It’s not The Who without the Moon or the Ox. I mean Pete admits he hates performing but likes the money. It pays for his expensive boating hobby. Roger is past the sell date.

Great band in their prime but everything get’s old and falls apart. Watching some of these old bands try and perform is like grandpa thinking he still can drive a car well when he pisses himself and walks around with no pants and doesn’t notice.

33. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (08-18-2022),Terry (08-18-2022)

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It’s not The Who without the Moon or the Ox. I mean Pete admits he hates performing but likes the money. It pays for his expensive boating hobby. Roger is past the sell date.
    You are correct 4 out of 4 is ideal. 3 parts original, 1 part inevitable is still better than 1/2. Decaying 1/2 life is just that... waste.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The Who’s Roger Daltrey has announced a 2024 North American solo tour, during which the legendary singer will play “semi-acoustic” shows at intimate venues across nine dates in June.

The tour kicks off June 12th in Vienna, Virginia, and wraps up June 29th in Highland Park, Illinois. The itinerary also includes a recently announced one-off show in San Diego on May 6th. Per a press release, the rock icon will be “presenting a mostly acoustic set of Who gems, rarities, solo nuggets and other surprises with an intimate rock-based band and setting as well as answering questions from the audience.” Support will come from KT Tunstall on most shows, with Dan Bern taking her place on a couple of dates.

https://consequence.net/2024/03/roge...024-solo-tour/

Please see me. I have no money.

Looks like Pete took his money and went home. Good for him. At least he knows its time to retire.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thanks Roger. You're the reason we can't have actual musicians play the Super Bowl halftime shows anymore.

37. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Catfish (Yesterday)

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I took my son to see The Who on this tour last year and I was amazed by how good Roger sounded. As far as the show, it was kind of lame because they did 2/3 of it with an orchestra, which doesn’t really fit what The Who should be. But it also fits well for 78-year-old men. My son enjoyed it but was a bit let down since The Who should be maniacs spraying energy all over the arena. So it’s a Catch-22 for The Who. Getting old sucks.

Thread Information