Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

This is doubly bad because I don't think it's close to the most challenging song in his back catalog, wouldn't want to hear Living On A Prayer plus at 60 Boingiovi isn't the oldest out there.

Also they always projected that clean image although I was pretty suspicious of a lot of that...

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yikes.... I'll bet he wishes he still had Sambora there to help him through that one. Assuming his voice has held up any better. I assume Jon could sing better than that back in 1989, but the sound was so goddamned distorted at his concert, I couldn't really tell.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
        There’s an old saying that goes, you want to quit and have the fans wondering where you went instead of saying why won’t they give it up? It’s like stocks. You always want to cash out a bit before the crest.
        Yeah, but these bands will just keep going out as long as they can and the money is there.

In a general sense, it doesn't matter...I mean, it's not some travesty against humanity if these geezers are still wheezing along out there on the road. I suppose it gives these old rockers a purpose in life, or a reason to get up every day, or whatever.

I gotta tell you, though, in the last 15 or so years, the concerts I have been to where aging acts/artists have held up the best live have tended not to have been hard rock ones. You may well find it amusing, but the better shows I have seen since, say, 2007 or so...probably Billy Joel, Jimmy Buffett and Neil Diamond. All three of those guys had highly competent bands onstage with them, their own sound systems and sound engineers who have worked with them (for decades, in some cases) long enough so the live sound is fantastic and all the songs were played in their original, recorded keys.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

The Who give back to Cincinnati where they killed 11 people over 40-some years ago

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
            Yeah, but these bands will just keep going out as long as they can and the money is there.

In a general sense, it doesn't matter...I mean, it's not some travesty against humanity if these geezers are still wheezing along out there on the road. I suppose it gives these old rockers a purpose in life, or a reason to get up every day, or whatever.

I gotta tell you, though, in the last 15 or so years, the concerts I have been to where aging acts/artists have held up the best live have tended not to have been hard rock ones. You may well find it amusing, but the better shows I have seen since, say, 2007 or so...probably Billy Joel, Jimmy Buffett and Neil Diamond. All three of those guys had highly competent bands onstage with them, their own sound systems and sound engineers who have worked with them (for decades, in some cases) long enough so the live sound is fantastic and all the songs were played in their original, recorded keys.
            I saw Billy Joel in Seattle. He was great.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

I saw Billy Joel in Seattle. He was great.

Saw him in Tampa in 2016 and Tampa again in 2018.

Great show both times.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Mushroom
                Commando
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Kristy
                … you cannot "party" with coke, alcohol, groupy pussy and be on stage for over 30 years without sustaining some sort of permanent vocal damage.
                I would trade my current comfortable lifestyle to live like that

Comment

• Mushroom
                  Commando
                  • Jul 2009

In the last 20 years (or since The Ox died) I got tired of hearing friends tell me they’re going to see The Who and biting my tongue. I saw them in ‘89 and it was memorable enough. Hang it up or change the name!

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yeah... '89 was "memorable" because that was the show where Pete semi-crucified himself on stage.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom
                      In the last 20 years (or since The Ox died) I got tired of hearing friends tell me they’re going to see The Who and biting my tongue. I saw them in ‘89 and it was memorable enough. Hang it up or change the name!
                      It’s not The Who without the Moon or the Ox. I mean Pete admits he hates performing but likes the money. It pays for his expensive boating hobby. Roger is past the sell date.

Great band in their prime but everything get’s old and falls apart. Watching some of these old bands try and perform is like grandpa thinking he still can drive a car well when he pisses himself and walks around with no pants and doesn’t notice.
                      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Mushroom
                        Commando
                        • Jul 2009

It’s not The Who without the Moon or the Ox. I mean Pete admits he hates performing but likes the money. It pays for his expensive boating hobby. Roger is past the sell date.
                        You are correct 4 out of 4 is ideal. 3 parts original, 1 part inevitable is still better than 1/2. Decaying 1/2 life is just that... waste.

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

The Who’s Roger Daltrey has announced a 2024 North American solo tour, during which the legendary singer will play “semi-acoustic” shows at intimate venues across nine dates in June.

The tour kicks off June 12th in Vienna, Virginia, and wraps up June 29th in Highland Park, Illinois. The itinerary also includes a recently announced one-off show in San Diego on May 6th. Per a press release, the rock icon will be “presenting a mostly acoustic set of Who gems, rarities, solo nuggets and other surprises with an intimate rock-based band and setting as well as answering questions from the audience.” Support will come from KT Tunstall on most shows, with Dan Bern taking her place on a couple of dates.

The Who’s Roger Daltrey has announced a 2024 North American solo tour in which he'll play intimate venues in June. See the dates and ticket information.

Please see me. I have no money.

Looks like Pete took his money and went home. Good for him. At least he knows its time to retire.

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Thanks Roger. You're the reason we can't have actual musicians play the Super Bowl halftime shows anymore.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Catfish
                              Sniper
                              • Jan 2004

I took my son to see The Who on this tour last year and I was amazed by how good Roger sounded. As far as the show, it was kind of lame because they did 2/3 of it with an orchestra, which doesn’t really fit what The Who should be. But it also fits well for 78-year-old men. My son enjoyed it but was a bit let down since The Who should be maniacs spraying energy all over the arena. So it’s a Catch-22 for The Who. Getting old sucks.

Comment

• Rikk
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Catfish
                                I took my son to see The Who on this tour last year and I was amazed by how good Roger sounded. As far as the show, it was kind of lame because they did 2/3 of it with an orchestra, which doesn’t really fit what The Who should be. But it also fits well for 78-year-old men. My son enjoyed it but was a bit let down since The Who should be maniacs spraying energy all over the arena. So it’s a Catch-22 for The Who. Getting old sucks.
                                I saw The Who twice around 2016-2017.

The second time, I got one of those "watch the soundcheck, autographs, dinner" deals. Then a 5th row ticket.

They were still great. No...they weren't what they were 20-40 years earlier. But they were still good.

I wanted to go to the tour you mentioned, but I couldn't get past the whole orchestra thing. I wish bands would stop doing that. It's not necessary.

(But yes, Roger's voice was better when I saw them in 1996 and 2002... I was too young to see them for the '89 reunion tour, which is still my least favorite Who tour because of all the extra musicians.)
                                Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                                Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

Working...