X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
    Collins was the weakest link in the Zep Live Aid thing. Tony Thompson was the better of the two drummers, and he used to play disco for a living, for fucks sake!!

And Page was most likely smacked up on "Keith Richards 1975" grade heroin, but that's beside the point.
    And Plant's voice was pretty well fucked at the Live Aid gig: between both Plant AND Page underperforming the Zep tunes at Live Aid, Collins was far from the only reason that Zep Aid set was far less than spectacular. Yeah, Collins was flailing about like he didn't know how to play the Zep tunes - which he probably didn't - but if the entire thing hadn't come off as ragged and under rehearsed concerning the actual Zep members onstage (if Plant and Page hadn't choked...and make no mistake about it, Plant and Page choked at Live Aid) then what Collins did would barely have been noticed.

I mean, fuck Phil Collins for all sorts of reasons, but the Led Zep Live Aid Suckfest hardly rests on his shoulders alone.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
      Oh, PLU-EEEEZE. Phil Collins was a better wannabe Schleppy drummer than than Baldy Nepotism Boy. At least Phil tries to play like he's interested.

Recently read a book on Phil on his 80's decade reign and how Plagiarist Page wanted absolutely nothing to do with him but lost out on a last minute argument with Plant.
      C'mon. Jason Bonham isn't 100% terrible.

Yeah, doubtless 100% of his success is the direct result of who his father was, but he's...well, he's capable of keeping time.

Plus, sometimes when he performs with the Led Zeppelin Experience his bass drumhead has the Led Zep IV logo his father picked out.

Plus, he played with Foreigner...in the 2000s.

Oh, he was also the drummer in that fictional band Steel Dragon...in that movie Rock Star...starring Marky Mark, along with that hack actress Jennifer Aniston from Friends...

Oh, wait! He formed a 'supergroup'...with Sammy Hagar...and Michael Anthony...and Vic Johnson...you know, from the Bus Boys? Remember them? From that Eddie Murphy movie 40 years ago? When Eddie Murphy was funny? Because, you know...remember? Like?

Yeah, pretty much fuck Jason Bonham, along with Phil Collins. Everybody knows Karen Carpenter outdrummed them both.
      Last edited by Terry; 08-25-2022, 07:34 PM.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
        And Plant's voice was pretty well fucked at the Live Aid gig: between both Plant AND Page underperforming the Zep tunes at Live Aid, Collins was far from the only reason that Zep Aid set was far less than spectacular. Yeah, Collins was flailing about like he didn't know how to play the Zep tunes - which he probably didn't - but if the entire thing hadn't come off as ragged and under rehearsed concerning the actual Zep members onstage (if Plant and Page hadn't choked...and make no mistake about it, Plant and Page choked at Live Aid) then what Collins did would barely have been noticed.

I mean, fuck Phil Collins for all sorts of reasons, but the Led Zep Live Aid Suckfest hardly rests on his shoulders alone.
        Yeah.... Plant's had "bad days" with his voice as far back as 1973. The stuff he was recording in his solo career at the time didn't require him to sing like a 19 year old anymore, so he was way out of practice.

You know how you know the entire performance was disappointing?? The Zeppelin reunion was probably the biggest thing to happen at Live Aid (at least the US half) and yet it was left on the cutting room floor when they finally released the concert on DVD, many years later. Would have thought they would leave it in just for the "historical significance"... but maybe Page & Plant wanted to fix their performances with a little overdub and were refused??
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
          Phil Collins sucks. Phil Collins has always sucked. Top 3 worst concerts I ever saw.
          The Top 3 worse concerts you ever saw were Phil Collins, Phil Collins and Phil Collins?

Why would you see Phil Collins three times?

Twice I could see, because maybe you saw him the first time and he was terrible, so you thought you'd give him a second chance to make sure the first time wasn't an off night.

Three times?! Bro, that third time is on you, yo!
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Yeah.... Plant's had "bad days" with his voice as far back as 1973. The stuff he was recording in his solo career at the time didn't require him to sing like a 19 year old anymore, so he was way out of practice.

You know how you know the entire performance was disappointing?? The Zeppelin reunion was probably the biggest thing to happen at Live Aid (at least the US half) and yet it was left on the cutting room floor when they finally released the concert on DVD, many years later. Would have thought they would leave it in just for the "historical significance"... but maybe Page & Plant wanted to fix their performances with a little overdub and were refused??
            It was left off the dvd at the request of Plant, Page and Jones. I recall they flat-out said it was a substandard performance they didn't wish to have included on the dvd, and they opted to make a donation directly to whatever fund some of the dvd proceeds were going to.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

'Fixing their performances' a la their 2003 dvd release, or their dvd re-release of The Song Remains The Same maybe ten or so years back?

I mean, it's 2010, and here we have Page and Plant still fiddling around with The Song Remains The Same? Considering the original release was a spliced together composite of all those 1973 MSG shows to begin with - with upwards of a hundred or more 'edits' - how much more post-performance studio 'enhancement' does one need?

I'd take a shit Live Aid performance unedited over a 'live' gig comprised of studio fakery any day.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Tony Thompson was the better of the two drummers...
                That was his name. According to the book, Plagiarist Page got into a an argument with Plant over Schleppy Live Aid stint saying he would not go on stage with Philip ever and that Thompson was a last minute decision to appease Plagiarist Page. The set was obviously not rehearsed. Plant won out due to Phil playing on Plant's fist two solo records and that Phil was one of the biggest artist in the world in 1985 with is latest album selling over 25 million.

Anyway, the book sucks

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Yeah, doubtless 100% of his success is the direct result of who his father was, but he's...well, he's capable of keeping time.
                  That isn't saying much. I mean, so can Ringo.

Comment

• Kristy
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Everybody knows Karen Carpenter outdrummed them both.
                    You know she never played on a Carpenter recorded due to their sexist producer who thought her playing was "weak" relying on a session drummer instead. She is indeed better than Phil and Jason combined.

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                      Pretty much sucks... the only stuff he produced I cared for was work he did in Brand X, a jazz fusion group back in 74-80. No singing... all instrumental compositions. John Goodsall on guitar and Percy Jones on bass was beast back then.

One of my favorites is a tribute to Kristy call Born Ugly...

Sounds like a really bad Billy Cobham tribute band.

Really, really bad.

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Collins was the weakest link in the Zep Live Aid thing. Tony Thompson was the better of the two drummers, and he used to play disco for a living, for fucks sake!!
                        Thompson started out in rock bands:

Tony: I love funk, but my major influences were rock. The reason I play drums is people like Ringo and The Beatles, Mitch Mitchell and Jimi Hendrix, Ginger Baker and Cream. John Bonham and Led Zeppelin blew me away. I played rock in neighborhood bands. I always liked and listened to funk music, but I really got into it when I met Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers.
                        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Well, that makes sense, given his style of drumming on the Power Station album was pretty much a hybrid of rock & funk influences..

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Von Halen
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

The Top 3 worse concerts you ever saw were Phil Collins, Phil Collins and Phil Collins?

Why would you see Phil Collins three times?

Twice I could see, because maybe you saw him the first time and he was terrible, so you thought you'd give him a second chance to make sure the first time wasn't an off night.

Three times?! Bro, that third time is on you, yo!
                            I saw him once and only once. I would have taken a bullet before going to see that lame fucker a second time, let alone a third.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Sounds like a really bad Billy Cobham tribute band.

Really, really bad.
                              Cobham is a great drummer but much more of a traditional jazz player with the exception of some of his work with Miles Davis...
                              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Terry
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

That isn't saying much. I mean, so can Ringo.
                                I know. I was being ironical, like.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...