• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Halen
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

"Tribute" Tour with Dave, Al and Satch

Nobody has posted about this?

Jason Newsted blew the lid off this bullshit idea, by publicly admitting he declined the offer to join this farce, because he felt it is nothing more than a money grab. Now Satch is admitting it is in the plans, and they have been working on it for a year. He seemed a little irritated Newsted didn't keep the secret.

You couldn't pay me enough to go see this. I cannot even believe Al would consider this. I hope Wolfgang rakes these fuckers over the coals for this bullshit.

Joe Satriani said he was in talks with Alex Van Halen and David Lee Roth for a prospective Van Halen tribute tour in April 2022.
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Saw this yesterday:

The Van Halen News Desk reached out to David Lee Roth about the new rumors. We've got an exclusive quote from him here:

"In my mind "Van Halen 4K," in the age of covid is going to require two of us for every position. Satriani and Luakather, Anthony and Newsted, Al or Tommy Lee. Probably the only one who could do my job today would be Pink."

We reached out to David Lee Roth about the new rumors that there are (or where?) some behind-the-scenes discussions contemplating the possibility of some sort of tour celebrating Van Halen's legacy.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

UCR has the VHND blurb too

Singer suggests the trek would require additional musicians, and he's got some marquee names in mind.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Not surprised Alex wants to do this. I mean old 'heritage' bands are still out there with barely their original members.

KISS have had two scabs dressed as Ace and Peter for years.
        Journey has that Filipino for their singer.
        Judas Priest now have none of their original guitar players - the two guys who created the Priest sound (Tipton getting on stage strumming to Breaking the Law for an encore doesn't count)
        Queen has been "Queen +..." for many years with whomever they have as singer and doing it without John Deacon.

And having said that I dont like ANY of these examples but bands do it.

And now Al wants to. Oh well.
        Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 04-19-2022, 12:04 PM.
        =V V=
        ole No.1 The finest
        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

It's easy money and you don't have to do much to work for it. All you have to do is be on a stage somewhere and look good.

Just like any politician.

Which is why there is no difference between the two

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The only thing interesting about this story is that it will give Hagar something new to bitch about. Satch would rather do this than make another Chickenshit record.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

There was a version of the story going around where Hagar was involved.

It would make a bit more sense if Michael Anthony was in.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by FORD
                The only thing interesting about this story is that it will give Hagar something new to bitch about. Satch would rather do this than make another Chickenshit record.
                Which can't take long - the songs sound as though they were all written in a morning.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  There was a version of the story going around where Hagar was involved.

It would make a bit more sense if Michael Anthony was in.
                  That must be from a quote from Satriani saying how it would be a daunting task to learn all of Ed's parts from all eras. Not necessarily confirming all eras would be represented.

No mention from Dave or Al that they were covering everything.

I am 100% sure Hagar is not involved. Alex would make sure of that.
                  =V V=
                  ole No.1 The finest
                  EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Von Halen
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I agree with Vinnie. Satch said something about covering all the eras, but nothing about Clichegar being involved. I doubt Satch or Al would want him. If they did, they'd have called Mike instead of Newsted. Hell, Cherbone could handle the Clichegar era. Or maybe they could get some guy off Youtube and pay him very little!

I am not at all a fan of this "Tribute Tour" idea and would have zero interest in going to see it.

Seriously, didn't Dave already do the VH tribute tour in 2002?

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                      I agree with Vinnie. Satch said something about covering all the eras, but nothing about Clichegar being involved. I doubt Satch or Al would want him. If they did, they'd have called Mike instead of Newsted. Hell, Cherbone could handle the Clichegar era. Or maybe they could get some guy off Youtube and pay him very little!

I am not at all a fan of this "Tribute Tour" idea and would have zero interest in going to see it.

Seriously, didn't Dave already do the VH tribute tour in 2002?
                      LOL

Judging from Dave's comment on this it seems Mike has been approached or at least Dave wishes the bass player be him.

While at the other end Alex wanted Jason Newstead as there seems to still be some hard feelings towards Mike or due to his continued bromance with Spammy.

But Newstead nixed the whole thing and is not doing it. So Dave and Al have to decide which way they want to go.
                      Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 04-19-2022, 04:03 PM.
                      =V V=
                      ole No.1 The finest
                      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

If Mike were to join, I have to say A DLR-AVH-MA-Satch lineup would do big business at the concert box office.

Billed the right way of course.

Which means new merchandise money to be made. Not only current tour shirts but new vintage VH shirts with the old band on them; Eddie-only shirts and so on.

And before everyone craps on Dave for his current vocal limitations, his last jaunt with KISS was pretty good. Passable. No doubt with Mike backing him up it will help him out a lot more.
                        Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 04-19-2022, 04:21 PM.
                        =V V=
                        ole No.1 The finest
                        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Von Halen
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Mike won't do it without Clichegar.

Comment

• Rikk
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

I really don't find this idea offensive. I don't think anyone can play like Eddie. My 8-year-old would kill to see Dave sing those songs for the first time in her life. If I could take her to see a band with Alex on drums & Dave singing, and if the guitar were played well...if she had a good time, I'd go. Would it be Van Halen, not for a fucking second. Would I go see it without my 8-year-old who just wants to see/hear Dave singing those songs? Fuck, no. But it's not the most offensive idea I've ever heard.

Clearly, they should have Mike on bass...but it sounds like there's a lot of bad blood still.

And I loved the 2007-2015 line-up...but nobody better tell me they can't do it without Wolfgang. I think his solo stuff mostly sucks...and I'd certainly be more likely to take my daughter to this if Mike were there.

NOW...am I super-excited by this idea? Hell, no. I've been sadly thinking of Van Halen as dead and gone for the past year and a half...same way I think of Soundgarden (another of my favorite bands) as dead and gone.

But would this be a bad show? I don't think so.

(...but if Hagar were there too...I'd have to think twice...I showed my daughter a bunch of classic Van Halen vids on YouTube and then out of curiosity showed her a Van Hagar video and she, true story, said, "That guy looks like a big, dancing tomato...I don't like his voice!")
                            Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                            Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet

And before everyone craps on Dave for his current vocal limitations, his last jaunt with KISS was pretty good. Passable. No doubt with Mike backing him up it will help him out a lot more.
                              If this came to Denvoid, I would definitely go only to see Al play more than the rest of the line up. If S P A M M Y for some reason decided to crash the party then I hope this tour fails flat on its face. Dave should do this. I can handle his singing if Al can. I'm thinking maybe a 20-30 major city tour over the summer with short breaks throw in. Most areas would possibly be outdoors in smaller venues in the summer so COVID should not that big of a concern and Dave really owes this to his die hard of his die hardest fans for dissing them the way he did.

Comment

Working...