Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 125

Thread: "Tribute" Tour with Dave, Al and Satch

  1. #1
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Von Halen's Avatar
    Member No
    15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Location
    Washington Twp., MI
    Age
    59
    Posts
    7,168
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,715
    Thanked 3,206 Times in 1,822 Posts


    Rep Power
    10

    "Tribute" Tour with Dave, Al and Satch

    Nobody has posted about this?

    Jason Newsted blew the lid off this bullshit idea, by publicly admitting he declined the offer to join this farce, because he felt it is nothing more than a money grab. Now Satch is admitting it is in the plans, and they have been working on it for a year. He seemed a little irritated Newsted didn't keep the secret.

    You couldn't pay me enough to go see this. I cannot even believe Al would consider this. I hope Wolfgang rakes these fuckers over the coals for this bullshit.

    https://ultimateclassicrock.com/joe-...-tribute-tour/
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  2. #2
    formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    twonabomber's Avatar
    Member No
    28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,407
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,403 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Saw this yesterday:

    The Van Halen News Desk reached out to David Lee Roth about the new rumors. We've got an exclusive quote from him here:

    "In my mind "Van Halen 4K," in the age of covid is going to require two of us for every position. Satriani and Luakather, Anthony and Newsted, Al or Tommy Lee. Probably the only one who could do my job today would be Pink."

    https://www.vhnd.com/2022/04/18/excl...2le5DJY7O6rVxQ
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  3. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

    Kristy (04-19-2022)


  4. #3
    formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    twonabomber's Avatar
    Member No
    28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,407
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,403 Posts


    Rep Power
    10

  5. #4
    THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

    Vinnie Velvet's Avatar
    Member No
    1201
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 AM
    Location
    Hard Rock City
    Age
    48
    Posts
    4,182
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 275 Times in 182 Posts


    Rep Power
    25
    Not surprised Alex wants to do this. I mean old 'heritage' bands are still out there with barely their original members.

    KISS have had two scabs dressed as Ace and Peter for years.
    Journey has that Filipino for their singer.
    Judas Priest now have none of their original guitar players - the two guys who created the Priest sound (Tipton getting on stage strumming to Breaking the Law for an encore doesn't count)
    Queen has been "Queen +..." for many years with whomever they have as singer and doing it without John Deacon.

    And having said that I dont like ANY of these examples but bands do it.

    And now Al wants to. Oh well.
    Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 04-19-2022 at 12:04 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  6. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

    Kristy (04-19-2022)


  7. #5
    F A T Barb Lives Matter
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Kristy's Avatar
    Member No
    7609
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    06-21-2022 @ 11:42 AM
    Location
    Denver, Colo
    Posts
    15,386
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,699
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,901 Posts


    Rep Power
    59
    It's easy money and you don't have to do much to work for it. All you have to do is be on a stage somewhere and look good.

    Just like any politician.

    Which is why there is no difference between the two
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  8. #6
    Master of the Universe
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

    FORD's Avatar
    Member No
    32
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Location
    Snake Mountain
    Posts
    57,056
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,307
    Thanked 6,083 Times in 4,556 Posts


    Rep Power
    138
    The only thing interesting about this story is that it will give Hagar something new to bitch about. Satch would rather do this than make another Chickenshit record.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  9. 3 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

    Romeo Delight (06-10-2022),Von Halen (04-19-2022),ZahZoo (04-29-2022)


  10. #7
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:12 AM
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    33,826
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    2,627
    Thanked 8,862 Times in 5,689 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    There was a version of the story going around where Hagar was involved.

    It would make a bit more sense if Michael Anthony was in.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  11. #8
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:12 AM
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    33,826
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    2,627
    Thanked 8,862 Times in 5,689 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    The only thing interesting about this story is that it will give Hagar something new to bitch about. Satch would rather do this than make another Chickenshit record.
    Which can't take long - the songs sound as though they were all written in a morning.

  12. #9
    THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

    Vinnie Velvet's Avatar
    Member No
    1201
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 AM
    Location
    Hard Rock City
    Age
    48
    Posts
    4,182
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 275 Times in 182 Posts


    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    There was a version of the story going around where Hagar was involved.

    It would make a bit more sense if Michael Anthony was in.
    That must be from a quote from Satriani saying how it would be a daunting task to learn all of Ed's parts from all eras. Not necessarily confirming all eras would be represented.

    No mention from Dave or Al that they were covering everything.

    I am 100% sure Hagar is not involved. Alex would make sure of that.

  13. 4 users say thank you to Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

    Kristy (04-19-2022),Rikk (04-19-2022),Von Halen (04-19-2022),ZahZoo (04-29-2022)


  14. #10
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Von Halen's Avatar
    Member No
    15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Location
    Washington Twp., MI
    Age
    59
    Posts
    7,168
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,715
    Thanked 3,206 Times in 1,822 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    I agree with Vinnie. Satch said something about covering all the eras, but nothing about Clichegar being involved. I doubt Satch or Al would want him. If they did, they'd have called Mike instead of Newsted. Hell, Cherbone could handle the Clichegar era. Or maybe they could get some guy off Youtube and pay him very little!

    I am not at all a fan of this "Tribute Tour" idea and would have zero interest in going to see it.

    Seriously, didn't Dave already do the VH tribute tour in 2002?

  15. #11
    THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

    Vinnie Velvet's Avatar
    Member No
    1201
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 AM
    Location
    Hard Rock City
    Age
    48
    Posts
    4,182
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 275 Times in 182 Posts


    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    I agree with Vinnie. Satch said something about covering all the eras, but nothing about Clichegar being involved. I doubt Satch or Al would want him. If they did, they'd have called Mike instead of Newsted. Hell, Cherbone could handle the Clichegar era. Or maybe they could get some guy off Youtube and pay him very little!

    I am not at all a fan of this "Tribute Tour" idea and would have zero interest in going to see it.

    Seriously, didn't Dave already do the VH tribute tour in 2002?
    LOL

    Judging from Dave's comment on this it seems Mike has been approached or at least Dave wishes the bass player be him.

    While at the other end Alex wanted Jason Newstead as there seems to still be some hard feelings towards Mike or due to his continued bromance with Spammy.

    But Newstead nixed the whole thing and is not doing it. So Dave and Al have to decide which way they want to go.
    Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 04-19-2022 at 04:03 PM.

  16. #12
    THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

    Vinnie Velvet's Avatar
    Member No
    1201
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 AM
    Location
    Hard Rock City
    Age
    48
    Posts
    4,182
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 275 Times in 182 Posts


    Rep Power
    25
    If Mike were to join, I have to say A DLR-AVH-MA-Satch lineup would do big business at the concert box office.

    Billed the right way of course.

    Which means new merchandise money to be made. Not only current tour shirts but new vintage VH shirts with the old band on them; Eddie-only shirts and so on.

    And before everyone craps on Dave for his current vocal limitations, his last jaunt with KISS was pretty good. Passable. No doubt with Mike backing him up it will help him out a lot more.
    Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 04-19-2022 at 04:21 PM.

  17. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

    Rikk (04-19-2022)


  18. #13
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Von Halen's Avatar
    Member No
    15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Location
    Washington Twp., MI
    Age
    59
    Posts
    7,168
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,715
    Thanked 3,206 Times in 1,822 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Mike won't do it without Clichegar.

  19. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

    Rikk (04-19-2022)


  20. #14
    THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Rikk's Avatar
    Member No
    182
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    04-19-2022 @ 06:30 PM
    Location
    Southfork
    Age
    17
    Posts
    15,587
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked 558 Times in 207 Posts


    Rep Power
    40
    I really don't find this idea offensive. I don't think anyone can play like Eddie. My 8-year-old would kill to see Dave sing those songs for the first time in her life. If I could take her to see a band with Alex on drums & Dave singing, and if the guitar were played well...if she had a good time, I'd go. Would it be Van Halen, not for a fucking second. Would I go see it without my 8-year-old who just wants to see/hear Dave singing those songs? Fuck, no. But it's not the most offensive idea I've ever heard.

    Clearly, they should have Mike on bass...but it sounds like there's a lot of bad blood still.

    And I loved the 2007-2015 line-up...but nobody better tell me they can't do it without Wolfgang. I think his solo stuff mostly sucks...and I'd certainly be more likely to take my daughter to this if Mike were there.

    NOW...am I super-excited by this idea? Hell, no. I've been sadly thinking of Van Halen as dead and gone for the past year and a half...same way I think of Soundgarden (another of my favorite bands) as dead and gone.

    But would this be a bad show? I don't think so.

    (...but if Hagar were there too...I'd have to think twice...I showed my daughter a bunch of classic Van Halen vids on YouTube and then out of curiosity showed her a Van Hagar video and she, true story, said, "That guy looks like a big, dancing tomato...I don't like his voice!")
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  21. Thanked Rikk for this KICKASS post:

    Nickdfresh (04-19-2022)


  22. #15
    F A T Barb Lives Matter
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Kristy's Avatar
    Member No
    7609
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    06-21-2022 @ 11:42 AM
    Location
    Denver, Colo
    Posts
    15,386
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,699
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,901 Posts


    Rep Power
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post

    And before everyone craps on Dave for his current vocal limitations, his last jaunt with KISS was pretty good. Passable. No doubt with Mike backing him up it will help him out a lot more.
    If this came to Denvoid, I would definitely go only to see Al play more than the rest of the line up. If S P A M M Y for some reason decided to crash the party then I hope this tour fails flat on its face. Dave should do this. I can handle his singing if Al can. I'm thinking maybe a 20-30 major city tour over the summer with short breaks throw in. Most areas would possibly be outdoors in smaller venues in the summer so COVID should not that big of a concern and Dave really owes this to his die hard of his die hardest fans for dissing them the way he did.

  23. #16
    Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

    Nickdfresh's Avatar
    Member No
    8719
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:06 PM
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Age
    52
    Posts
    47,837
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,094
    Thanked 4,310 Times in 3,251 Posts


    Rep Power
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    I really don't find this idea offensive. I don't think anyone can play like Eddie. My 8-year-old would kill to see Dave sing those songs for the first time in her life. If I could take her to see a band with Alex on drums & Dave singing, and if the guitar were played well...if she had a good time, I'd go. Would it be Van Halen, not for a fucking second. Would I go see it without my 8-year-old who just wants to see/hear Dave singing those songs? Fuck, no. But it's not the most offensive idea I've ever heard....
    I think Joe Satriani is closer to Ed in tone than Steve Vai ever was, but even still and as good as Satch is there will be something missing...

    I might try to catch Satch on tour in any case...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  24. #17
    Master of the Universe
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

    FORD's Avatar
    Member No
    32
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Location
    Snake Mountain
    Posts
    57,056
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,307
    Thanked 6,083 Times in 4,556 Posts


    Rep Power
    138
    Maybe they should get Vito Bratta on guitar? And if they can't get Sobolewski on bass, Vito knows a guy who already worked with Dave.

  25. #18
    Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    06-23-2022 @ 06:19 AM
    Location
    USA! USA! USA!
    Posts
    10,995
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,765
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,265 Posts


    Rep Power
    49
    I could see maybe a one-off type show, in California...an arena in the Los Angeles area or something, because that area is basically where Ed lived all his life, and I'd imagine most people associate Van Halen as being a California band.

    You do a single show with a bunch of guest musicians. Something along the lines of what Queen did in Wembley a year after Freddie died. A long show. Maybe have Alex and Mike Anthony as the core of the band, and have various guitarists essaying different tunes. Dave can do several tunes. Hagar can do several tunes. Maybe get some other singers doing other tunes.

    Something like that could be done and have a degree of taste to it.

    I mean, the idea of Alex and Dave hitting the road and touring with a bass player who was never in Van Halen when Eddie was alive and whoever on guitar...to me, that's not a tribute to Ed. That's a farce. What is left of Van Halen can do what they like and people are free to see it, but if it comes to that scenario that Newstead and Satriani described, I won't even be interested in seeing clips of it.

    Ed is gone. Van Halen, as a live entity or in terms of new music, is over. End of story.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  26. #19
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Von Halen's Avatar
    Member No
    15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Location
    Washington Twp., MI
    Age
    59
    Posts
    7,168
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,715
    Thanked 3,206 Times in 1,822 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Maybe they should get Vito Bratta on guitar? And if they can't get Sobolewski on bass, Vito knows a guy who already worked with Dave.
    Vito Bratta is missing in action for the most part. Doubt he'd have any interest. He's probably killing it in real estate right now.

    James is back in Megadeth now. I doubt he's going to give that up to tour with DLR again.

  27. #20
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Von Halen's Avatar
    Member No
    15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Location
    Washington Twp., MI
    Age
    59
    Posts
    7,168
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,715
    Thanked 3,206 Times in 1,822 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    I find this idea to be totally offensive.

    I'd rather go see some of that weird shit Kristy listens to, than go see this bullshit.

    I hope to fuck Clichegar is involved. This fraudulant bullshit is right up his alley. I hope Mike refuses to play on the CVH portion, tells them he will only play on the Van Hagar era, and tells them to get Wolfgang, or someone else to do the CVH era.

    Better yet, I hope Clichegar and Mike put together their own VH Tribute tour, and get some Dave sound alike to do Dave's portion. Lord knows they'd be better than Dave these days, and probably 1/4 as weird.

  28. #21
    THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

    Vinnie Velvet's Avatar
    Member No
    1201
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 AM
    Location
    Hard Rock City
    Age
    48
    Posts
    4,182
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 275 Times in 182 Posts


    Rep Power
    25
    The thing is, whether we like it or not, this is very likely to happen and almost did based on what Newstead/Satch reported.

    I'm not surprised Alex wants to do this tribute tour. The market dictates this. And the market dictates that people will go see a show like this. Much the same way the masses go see Queen +.... or Judas Priest with no KK or Tipton or KISS with Fake Frehley and Fake Peter.

    Its just the way it is.

    We will say Dave will struggle singing blah blah blah. Guess what. The masses wont care. Dave will get help from backing tapes or whomever will be singing backup vox.

    Paul Stanley croaks his way through a set and is assisted with tapes. Yeah it sucks and yeah its fake as fuck but guess what? KISS still packed arenas. Go figure.

  29. #22
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Von Halen's Avatar
    Member No
    15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Location
    Washington Twp., MI
    Age
    59
    Posts
    7,168
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,715
    Thanked 3,206 Times in 1,822 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post

    Paul Stanley croaks his way through a set and is assisted with tapes. Yeah it sucks and yeah its fake as fuck but guess what? KISS still packed arenas. Go figure.
    I first saw Kiss in 1977. I last saw Kiss on the Psycho Circus tour. I have NEVER seen them with an imposter. Never will.

    Alex must need the money.

    I do not believe this will sell that good, unless maybe they package it with another fraudulant incarnation of a band. Like "Foreigner".

    Also, these tours with fake members work because the fake members fall in line. Even as weird as Gene Simmons is, he couldn't put up with the weirdness that is Dave, these days.

    I'd rather go see a fucking hologram tour with a hologram of Ed and a hologram of Dave. Piping vocals in to a hologram would be better than seeing it done to todays version of Dave.

  30. #23
    THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

    Vinnie Velvet's Avatar
    Member No
    1201
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 AM
    Location
    Hard Rock City
    Age
    48
    Posts
    4,182
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 275 Times in 182 Posts


    Rep Power
    25
    I told my teenage son about the possibility of this "VH" tour and he said he would love to see it cause he didn't get to see VH when Ed was still alive.

    There is an entire generation who will buy the shirts and other merch and go see this show. Again, whether we like it or not.

    I heard Styx is coming to my town but I refuse to go see them without Dennis DeYoung. No disrespect to Gowan but sorry it aint Styx without Dennis.

    But then again, Styx won't care about me. Crowds will still go see their show.

  31. #24
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Von Halen's Avatar
    Member No
    15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Location
    Washington Twp., MI
    Age
    59
    Posts
    7,168
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,715
    Thanked 3,206 Times in 1,822 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    The VHT Tour.

    Can't wait.

    I'll go see it if they play Red Rocks and Kristy meets me there.

  32. #25
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Von Halen's Avatar
    Member No
    15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Location
    Washington Twp., MI
    Age
    59
    Posts
    7,168
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,715
    Thanked 3,206 Times in 1,822 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    I told my teenage son about the possibility of this "VH" tour and he said he would love to see it cause he didn't get to see VH when Ed was still alive.
    Do your Son a favor and sit him down in front of the TV with the Largo show. With the South America shows. With the US Festival show. Tell him he's never going to see that live. Sometimes we have to save people from themselves. Do not let him go and tarnish the memories of those above listed shows.

  33. #26
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    06-21-2022 @ 02:36 AM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    30,785
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,205
    Thanked 3,515 Times in 2,853 Posts


    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    85
    Noel Monk said Van Halen ended in 1984. That Van Hagar thing was more of a pop act. I agree. Dreams and What Love Can Do ain't Van Halen but it was ahead of it's time. Van Hagar had a transgender singer way before the whole LGBTQ+++ thing became a thing. San Fransisco Sam brought the Castro District to the rest of the world. Sammy was a bigger ambassador of gayness than Richard Simmons ever was.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  34. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

    Vinnie Velvet (04-20-2022),Von Halen (04-20-2022)


  35. #27
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    06-21-2022 @ 02:36 AM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    30,785
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,205
    Thanked 3,515 Times in 2,853 Posts


    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    85
    I wouldn't expect Alex to play with anyone. Him and Ed were extremely close not just as brothers but as jamming buddies. I think it would be very painful for him to try and drum. I know Alex Lifeson couldn't play when Neil Peart passed away and that's a friend. I can't imagine getting behind the kit when you lost your brother you used to play with. It would be hard to do alone at 5150 and many more times so in a public setting. I could see him maybe doing a sit in with Wolfgang but touring with a band? I think that's over with.

  36. #28
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    06-21-2022 @ 02:36 AM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    30,785
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,205
    Thanked 3,515 Times in 2,853 Posts


    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    The thing is, whether we like it or not, this is very likely to happen and almost did based on what Newstead/Satch reported.

    I'm not surprised Alex wants to do this tribute tour. The market dictates this. And the market dictates that people will go see a show like this. Much the same way the masses go see Queen +.... or Judas Priest with no KK or Tipton or KISS with Fake Frehley and Fake Peter.

    Its just the way it is.

    We will say Dave will struggle singing blah blah blah. Guess what. The masses wont care. Dave will get help from backing tapes or whomever will be singing backup vox.

    Paul Stanley croaks his way through a set and is assisted with tapes. Yeah it sucks and yeah its fake as fuck but guess what? KISS still packed arenas. Go figure.
    Dave isn't going to cheat it. It's not in his nature. If Dave isn't on tour or making music he's pretty private. You never know what that guy is up to until he announces something. COVID kind of pissed on his parade.

  37. #29
    THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

    Vinnie Velvet's Avatar
    Member No
    1201
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 AM
    Location
    Hard Rock City
    Age
    48
    Posts
    4,182
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 275 Times in 182 Posts


    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Do your Son a favor and sit him down in front of the TV with the Largo show. With the South America shows. With the US Festival show. Tell him he's never going to see that live. Sometimes we have to save people from themselves. Do not let him go and tarnish the memories of those above listed shows.
    He's seen all of that stuff believe me many many times. Heck hes heard the music when he was in the womb. Lol

    But hey that's what he said. And his old man telling him it wont be like those old videos probably won't change his mind. Oh well.

  38. #30
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    06-21-2022 @ 02:36 AM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    30,785
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,205
    Thanked 3,515 Times in 2,853 Posts


    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    85
    My dad dragged me to see The Glenn Miller Band. My dad was a clarinet and sax player and he played big band stuff. Here kid, I will show you some real musicians. Anyways after the show my dad was complaining it wasn't the same as the old days. It was an inferior copy.

    Trying to redo Van Halen would be a similar pooch screw. You aren't going to recreate the late 70's and early 80's in 2022. It's impossible and who's kidding who.

  39. #31
    THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

    Vinnie Velvet's Avatar
    Member No
    1201
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 AM
    Location
    Hard Rock City
    Age
    48
    Posts
    4,182
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 275 Times in 182 Posts


    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    My dad dragged me to see The Glenn Miller Band. My dad was a clarinet and sax player and he played big band stuff. Here kid, I will show you some real musicians. Anyways after the show my dad was complaining it wasn't the same as the old days. It was an inferior copy.

    Trying to redo Van Halen would be a similar pooch screw. You aren't going to recreate the late 70's and early 80's in 2022. It's impossible and who's kidding who.
    Very true.

    But I don't think thats what Al and Dave want to do.

    They want to go back out, play the music on a larger scale. Add footage of Ed on the jumbo screen, etc. Play it off as a tribute while selling more VH shirts.

    Thats about it.

  40. #32
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Von Halen's Avatar
    Member No
    15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Location
    Washington Twp., MI
    Age
    59
    Posts
    7,168
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,715
    Thanked 3,206 Times in 1,822 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Dave isn't going to cheat it. It's not in his nature.
    Uh, Dave had vocals piped in on his most recent Vegas gigs. VH had vocals piped in in 2007.

  41. #33
    Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    06-23-2022 @ 06:19 AM
    Location
    USA! USA! USA!
    Posts
    10,995
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,765
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,265 Posts


    Rep Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    I told my teenage son about the possibility of this "VH" tour and he said he would love to see it cause he didn't get to see VH when Ed was still alive.

    There is an entire generation who will buy the shirts and other merch and go see this show. Again, whether we like it or not.

    I heard Styx is coming to my town but I refuse to go see them without Dennis DeYoung. No disrespect to Gowan but sorry it aint Styx without Dennis.

    But then again, Styx won't care about me. Crowds will still go see their show.
    Yeah, but if you didn't see whatever lineup variation of Van Halen when Eddie was alive, well, sorry, but you missed it forever.

    Doubtless an Eddie-less Van Halen would stand a better than chance than not of being a crowd-draw as a live undertaking. At this point, if Hagar or Dave and Alex and Mike Anthony and Satriani or Wolfgang or whatever permutation wanna hit the road under the name Van Halen...whatever. I'm too old to even get slightly perturbed over the 'desecration' of Van Halen's 'legacy': it's only rock and roll.

    As you mentioned, KISS still warbles along with Stanley barely able to sing and backing tapes galore onstage. People still pay money to see it (hell, I paid money to see it not too long ago!). Again, as you mentioned, look at Styx. Who do they have left in the band from when they were at their commercial zenith? Young and Shaw? Somebody said Foreigner was coming to town recently. If memory serves, all that's left of THAT band when they were at their zenith was Mick Jones, and apparently he doesn't perform with the band every night but whenever his health allows. Rolling Stones: Charlie Watts dead, band still fills stadiums.

    I've seen more than a few tribute bands in my time. For the most part, I wasn't paying premium ticket prices to see them, and that's what more and more of these old rock acts are these days. Tribute bands with the authenticity factor of one or two members from when the band was in their prime.

    But, as you say, crowds will still go to see them.

  42. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

    Vinnie Velvet (04-20-2022)


  43. #34
    THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

    Vinnie Velvet's Avatar
    Member No
    1201
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 AM
    Location
    Hard Rock City
    Age
    48
    Posts
    4,182
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 275 Times in 182 Posts


    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Yeah, but if you didn't see whatever lineup variation of Van Halen when Eddie was alive, well, sorry, but you missed it forever.

    Doubtless an Eddie-less Van Halen would stand a better than chance than not of being a crowd-draw as a live undertaking. At this point, if Hagar or Dave and Alex and Mike Anthony and Satriani or Wolfgang or whatever permutation wanna hit the road under the name Van Halen...whatever. I'm too old to even get slightly perturbed over the 'desecration' of Van Halen's 'legacy': it's only rock and roll.

    As you mentioned, KISS still warbles along with Stanley barely able to sing and backing tapes galore onstage. People still pay money to see it (hell, I paid money to see it not too long ago!). Again, as you mentioned, look at Styx. Who do they have left in the band from when they were at their commercial zenith? Young and Shaw? Somebody said Foreigner was coming to town recently. If memory serves, all that's left of THAT band when they were at their zenith was Mick Jones, and apparently he doesn't perform with the band every night but whenever his health allows. Rolling Stones: Charlie Watts dead, band still fills stadiums.

    I've seen more than a few tribute bands in my time. For the most part, I wasn't paying premium ticket prices to see them, and that's what more and more of these old rock acts are these days. Tribute bands with the authenticity factor of one or two members from when the band was in their prime.

    But, as you say, crowds will still go to see them.
    That's right. And when you have people willing to pay money to go see the show - despite whatever lineup or who is missing, then that's the motivation for all of these heritage acts to continue.

    $$$$

  44. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (04-21-2022)


  45. #35
    formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    twonabomber's Avatar
    Member No
    28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,407
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,403 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    If "it ain't Van Halen without David Lee Roth" then it sure as fuck isn't Van Halen without Eddie Van Halen

  46. 4 users say thank you to twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

    moose (04-21-2022),So this is love (04-20-2022),Terry (04-21-2022),ZahZoo (04-29-2022)


  47. #36
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    06-21-2022 @ 02:36 AM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    30,785
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,205
    Thanked 3,515 Times in 2,853 Posts


    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Uh, Dave had vocals piped in on his most recent Vegas gigs. VH had vocals piped in in 2007.
    Girl you know it’s…girl you know it’s…girl you know it’s… Ha! Ha! Van Villi Manilli

  48. #37
    THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

    Vinnie Velvet's Avatar
    Member No
    1201
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 AM
    Location
    Hard Rock City
    Age
    48
    Posts
    4,182
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 275 Times in 182 Posts


    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    If "it ain't Van Halen without David Lee Roth" then it sure as fuck isn't Van Halen without Eddie Van Halen
    "Van Halen 4K"

    "Van Halen Plus" - like a new streaming service!

    "Van Halen and Friends"

  49. #38
    Full On Cocktard

    Member No
    35664
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Last Online
    04-21-2022 @ 10:54 AM
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    25
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts


    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I wouldn't expect Alex to play with anyone. Him and Ed were extremely close not just as brothers but as jamming buddies. I think it would be very painful for him to try and drum. I know Alex Lifeson couldn't play when Neil Peart passed away and that's a friend. I can't imagine getting behind the kit when you lost your brother you used to play with. It would be hard to do alone at 5150 and many more times so in a public setting. I could see him maybe doing a sit in with Wolfgang but touring with a band? I think that's over with.
    It sounds like it's Alex's idea. I think he just wants to celebrate his brother and that's it.
    It's not Van Halen the band without Ed, but you could do a very good show.
    As for Dave piping in vocals, it was basically on the high notes of Jump and he wasn't hiding it.
    He needs to sit down for six months with Ken Tamplin and get his vocals back to a certain level.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  50. #39
    Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    06-23-2022 @ 06:19 AM
    Location
    USA! USA! USA!
    Posts
    10,995
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,765
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,265 Posts


    Rep Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by nick500 View Post
    It sounds like it's Alex's idea. I think he just wants to celebrate his brother and that's it.
    It's not Van Halen the band without Ed, but you could do a very good show.
    As for Dave piping in vocals, it was basically on the high notes of Jump and he wasn't hiding it.
    He needs to sit down for six months with Ken Tamplin and get his vocals back to a certain level.
    Not to be a wet blanket, but I tend to doubt six months with any vocal trainer/therapist is gonna do Dave much good at this point in terms of restoring his voice to even where it was in 2007/2008.

    I mean, anything is possible...but, no.

    Add to that the tacit admission from Dave in advance of those January Vegas gigs (subsequently cancelled) that his doctors have basically told him to pack it in...I don't think Dave's gonna be doing extensive touring anymore, anywhere under ANY moniker.

    Maybe a one-off gig, perhaps billed as a Celebration Of Eddie Van Halen or something. But Dave hitting the road for several months, doing multiple gigs weekly? I doubt he is physically up to that.

    I mean, great if it happens for those who want to see it...but I'm just not seeing a tour happening with Dave doing a full set.

    Can't Get This Stuff No More.

  51. #40
    THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

    Vinnie Velvet's Avatar
    Member No
    1201
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 AM
    Location
    Hard Rock City
    Age
    48
    Posts
    4,182
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 275 Times in 182 Posts


    Rep Power
    25
    Sincerely doubt Dave or even Al want to hit the road for several months like they used to.

    What we know is that Al and Dave were planning on some kind of tribute show for Ed and to the VH legacy. So they reached out to some guys and started talking.

    I don't recall if Satch actually jammed with Alex and I don't think it got to that point. I think it almost did but then Newstead bailed on the project.

    This was probably something that was going to start off as one show and then perhaps evolve into something more. Maybe a string of summer gigs and thats it.

    And it wasn't supposed to be public knowledge as it was only discussed. Blame Newstead for opening his mouth about it. Not sure why. Or maybe that was planned to gage reaction from the masses? Who knows.

    But clearly nothing is happening at this time.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Improving "Diamond Dave" album & "David Lee Roth's No Holds Bar-B-Que"
    By DFVH5150 in forum VH/DLR Songs And Albums
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 12:29 PM
  2. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 05-23-2007, 04:46 PM
  3. DDLR Exclusive... DAVE: "We're going to tour soon."
    By Nickdfresh in forum Main VH/DLR Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-23-2006, 02:12 AM
  4. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-07-2005, 10:54 AM
  5. Replies: 73
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 08:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •