"Tribute" Tour with Dave, Al and Satch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Steve Vai showed that even an elite, extremely talented guitar player can lose the plot when trying to emulate Ed. For one, Irregardless of technical ability or "feeling" or "soul", your fingertips are your fingertips and not Ed's and that's where the sound comes from. That being said I think Satch might be a bit better suited and less awkward...
    In defence of Vai we are judging live bootlegs and think was the late 80s peak of guitar wankery and he had taken on the biggest rock guitarist gig on the planet in his 20s it's not surprising in any way he maybe sometimes overplayed CVH especially on that first tour. Vai has plenty of feeling in his playing in fact he even did in the 80s in For The Love of God.

The worst example that I've ever heard ever though was Yngwie during that strange time in the late 90s when there were a lot of cover albums done by famous 80s musicians that almost always were not good but for interesting reasons. You would get Sebastian Bach singing a Rush song with George Lynch on guitar - in theory wow in practice not so good but you didn't know that until you bought the CD. I bought about 3 or 4 until I learned my lesson.

I just looked and it's got over a million listens on YouTube and lots of +ve comments but I still think it's fucking comical mess.

Last edited by Seshmeister; 04-29-2022, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Yikes! Never heard that before. Now I know why. Dio actually sounded pretty good there, but YingYang is unleashing the fucking ego as usual, and sounds completely out of place. Now I'm trying to imagine what Iommi would have sounded like on that song.

Ronnie was always good with cover songs, of course. Like this one from his Elf days, which was somewhat ironic, given his future career path....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
        Not sure about more unseen concert footage but I believe there are live recordings from the 1984 tour and even from the Hide your Sheep tour so who knows.

Dave suggested back in '85 they release a live album as he himself back then said "we have tapes" but the Van Halens didnt want to.
        I'd tend to agree, but then 15 or so years ago the 1981 Memphis show surfaced. Appeared to have been a show the band videotaped with a single video camera on a fixed tripod at the mixing board, for what I'd assume was the band's own use...dunno how it got leaked out - if it was one of Eddie's assistants who pirated the thing or whatever - but it made me wonder how many other shows the band filmed back in the day in that manner (videotape on a single stationary videocamera obviously being cheaper than multiple cameras using actual film).
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Michael Anthony Says He's Been in Van Halen Tribute Tour Talks
          Originally posted by sadaist
          I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

Which means S P A M M Y will be involved. Fuck that.

Comment

Agreed. FUCK Spammy.

I dont want Alex resurrecting any Van Hagar material.

Glad its been dead and buried since 2004.
              =V V=
              ole No.1 The finest
              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Ironically, Van Hagar sometimes used an inferior scab guitar player on their own tours.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Van Halen ended in 1984. Everything since was a fagfest. People who enjoy cheese from a can and really love gay shit seem to enjoy it. I’m just amazed Sammy hasn’t come out with agave and lime flavored anal lube with aloe to sell to his disgusting base of fans.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

If Alex becomes the new drummer in The Circle he’s come out of the closet. He can ride a unicorn naked with Sammy covered in rainbow body paint. Thank God Ed never lived long enough to see it.

Comment

• Both Sam and Mike are famous for being able to hit very high notes. Of course. If you have no balls and like things shoved up your ass you tend to hit high notes pretty well.

Comment

• Most rockers in the 80’s lived in LA. The place was full of hot pussy then. Sam preffered San Francisco and lived up there. May I say more?

Comment

• Stellar posts Nitro.
                          =V V=
                          ole No.1 The finest
                          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Originally posted by Nitro Express View Post
                            Van Halen ended in 1984. Everything since was a fagfest. People who enjoy cheese from a can and really love gay shit seem to enjoy it. I’m just amazed Sammy hasn’t come out with agave and lime flavored anal lube with aloe to sell to his disgusting base of fans.
                            Its amazing to me how many still actually love Van Hagar.

A band that had more in common with Wham and other gay shit than Van HALEN.

Look, not everything Ed produced was fit for public consumption. He of course didn't care. Hence we got garbage like Anal Walks In. But to have it under the band name "Van Halen" was so wrong.
                            =V V=
                            ole No.1 The finest
                            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• I might clarify I have nothing against gays. I apologize for comparing them to Sammy Hagar.

Comment

• I get tired of seeing Sammy pop up on all these cooking shows with celebrity chefs selling him as some kind of great food expert. Sammy understands salad. He’s an expert on tossing salad. That dude’s face has been between more buns than all the beef at McDonald’s.

Comment

Working...
                                X